A few questions

PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Loffle Monster.
02-12-2011, 08:39 PM
My band is playing a show this summer at a drive in car show, we plan on mostly doing covers, but we want to do originals too. If you were listening to a band play for approximately two and a half hours, how many originals do you think would be appropriate?

Also we need help organizing our set list, if anyone who is familiar with classic rock and 90s would like to help, it would be appreciated. I'll post the list if I get replies.

Koshman32
02-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I'd say an original every 2-4 songs, depending on the length of the other songs.

Loffle Monster.
02-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Thank you very much, we generally do longer songs about 4:30 - 5 minutes.

paquiquinho
02-12-2011, 08:47 PM
It depends.

I'd say play a couple of them every 2-4 songs (like stated above). If the crowd responds well keep doing it. If they don't just stick to the covers. Have both ways planned before hand and you should be fine.

Loffle Monster.
02-12-2011, 08:55 PM
The gig isn't really specific. We got the gig and no details were mentioned about exactly what to play. We are playing for a crowd that attends a carshows, so this would probably be more of a covers show I'm assuming.

AlanHB
02-12-2011, 10:17 PM
I'd also assume this was meant to be mainly covers. I'd personally opt for a total of zero originals, because people want to hear covers from a cover band, and will simply lose attention if you play them. If you must play originals, I'd opt for 2-3 total.

krypticguitar87
02-13-2011, 12:23 AM
I'd also assume this was meant to be mainly covers. I'd personally opt for a total of zero originals, because people want to hear covers from a cover band, and will simply lose attention if you play them. If you must play originals, I'd opt for 2-3 total.

this I would say two or three max.... if you are playing someplace where people are not nessecarily coming to hear music but to check out something else, they don't want to hear stuff they don't know.

Ace-014
02-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Depends if your originals are worth hearing. Even then, I'd say every 4 or 5 songs. I say there usually isn't any harm in throwing in a couple originals in a setlist unless you're stickly told by whoever is employing you to play covers.

Playing only covers can be a serious drag. Besides, if you're songs don't suck too bad, the audience will probably enjoy something they haven't heard before.