Melodic Rock Instrumental [.gp4] [C4C]

PDA

View Full Version : Melodic Rock Instrumental [.gp4] [C4C]

Duality Ninja
02-13-2011, 03:56 AM
So, I came here a while back with a little something I had written, and it was relatively well received. Last night, pretty late at night, I got the bright idea of writing a little intro to it that centers around the same sort of chord progression. The problem is, when I listened to the solo part this morning, some of it sounded "off", I guess. I mean, it's in key, but it just didn't flow. I want to know what you guys think. I can only crit other guitar pro 5 and under tabs in return though, as my internet isn't the greatest. Here it is.

envoykrawkwar7
02-13-2011, 04:02 AM
whats wrong is the solo has no flavor and its just straight notes, let your clean guitar ring out its notes and build up chords rather than arpegiatting the lone notes and then give the synth some build mabey octaves rather than single notes or thirds above or below will help those, then put em on infinite repeat and play solos over it till you really feel it and aren't just pressing notes to make the solo, you'll love what comes out of it and it'll sound sooooo much better.

Zeletros
02-13-2011, 04:13 AM
The solo is not off, it's just boring as hell. I mean, like that guy above said, just straight notes and no emotion or meaning.

Duality Ninja
02-13-2011, 02:58 PM
whats wrong is the solo has no flavor and its just straight notes, let your clean guitar ring out its notes and build up chords rather than arpegiatting the lone notes and then give the synth some build mabey octaves rather than single notes or thirds above or below will help those, then put em on infinite repeat and play solos over it till you really feel it and aren't just pressing notes to make the solo, you'll love what comes out of it and it'll sound sooooo much better.

So, when you say let the notes ring out, do you mean keep them arpeggiated but let them ring out instead of muting each note? Also, thank you for the criticism. That idea for writing solos sounds so much better, I'm pretty sure I'm going to write all my solos like that from now on.

envoykrawkwar7
02-14-2011, 12:17 AM
yes, just highlight all the notes and press the i key will let them all ring just the right amount

~Flounder~
02-14-2011, 05:03 AM
hmm. not sure if this is a song or what. My first advice would be to completely delete the keyboard track. If you absolutely need a slower rhythmic part, fine, try a piano or strings or something. but the pad track makes no sense at all and no keyboard player would ever play that. The guitar "solo" wasn't really much of a solo. It had a few parts that I liked, but it seemed that the majority of the solo was written with a "well i have 4 measures and a lot of 16th notes so lets type some numbers" mindset. It didn't have any theme or feeling. I like to say that its not about the notes you can fit into a given space, rather the space between the notes.

that being said, I enjoyed the clean/rhythm guitar track. It had a nice chord progression with a couple interesting changes thrown in that added to the feel of the song. If you added a smooth drum track in and maybe a bass the song would sound so much better. This is because right now you only have melody instruments written, so the listener has a hard time distinguishing the underlying flow of the song. I would say start with those (doesn't even have to be too complicated or crazy) and THEN work on "purifying" your solo track n stuff.

So yea, it wasn't a trainwreck, but the song needs work. If you follow those things you should be well on your way to a more defined track. good luck :)

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1412145

Duality Ninja
02-15-2011, 02:09 AM
hmm. not sure if this is a song or what. My first advice would be to completely delete the keyboard track. If you absolutely need a slower rhythmic part, fine, try a piano or strings or something. but the pad track makes no sense at all and no keyboard player would ever play that. The guitar "solo" wasn't really much of a solo. It had a few parts that I liked, but it seemed that the majority of the solo was written with a "well i have 4 measures and a lot of 16th notes so lets type some numbers" mindset. It didn't have any theme or feeling. I like to say that its not about the notes you can fit into a given space, rather the space between the notes.

that being said, I enjoyed the clean/rhythm guitar track. It had a nice chord progression with a couple interesting changes thrown in that added to the feel of the song. If you added a smooth drum track in and maybe a bass the song would sound so much better. This is because right now you only have melody instruments written, so the listener has a hard time distinguishing the underlying flow of the song. I would say start with those (doesn't even have to be too complicated or crazy) and THEN work on "purifying" your solo track n stuff.

So yea, it wasn't a trainwreck, but the song needs work. If you follow those things you should be well on your way to a more defined track. good luck :)

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1412145

Well, where I was going with it was that it was to be a bit of a prelude to another song I had written, you know, kinda like a nice melodic intro. And I agree with the synth part, I think I'm going to change it to strings and add octaves to it. What parts of the solo did you like? I know I want to keep some of it, but I am going to scrap most of it, including a couple of the ascending/descending licks. And yeah, drums will be coming soon, I'm just waiting on my drummer to think of something for it.

icronic
02-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Right off the start I'd say the rhythm track poses a problem. Something about the way it's written makes both the rhythm and the chords unpredictable and that in itself can make it quite difficult to write a good solo. I tried to improvise over this, and found it very awkward. So the first thing I would do is rethink your rhythm track. Make the downbeat in the arpeggio more obvious, and don't switch the pattern up as often as you do.

Now the solo itself. Despite being in the right key, it sounds off because you pick notes to play that clash with the notes in the arpeggio you're playing over. For example, in bar 1 of the solo you hammer between C and D. The C note will sound awkward because you're playing over a G triad. The C note in the solo clashes with the B note from the triad. Then in bar 17 you put heavy emphasis on a D note, which is not part of the Am triad the rhythm is playing.

Instances of this can be found through the entire solo. Now it's perfectly acceptable to use these "off" notes, but you want to use them as passing tones that lead into a strong note from the chord that your rhythm is playing.

Beyond that I do think you've got good ideas, but you really need to work on phrasing and timing. Bends, slides, vibrato and space will make a world of difference.

Listen as many solos as you can, listen to how they're phrased and so forth and borrow as many ideas as you can from the ones you like.

Feel free to check out any of my music in my sig. Most of my songs are fairly solo heavy :)

~Flounder~
02-15-2011, 03:32 PM
^ much better than I could have explained it

Duality Ninja
02-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Right off the start I'd say the rhythm track poses a problem. Something about the way it's written makes both the rhythm and the chords unpredictable and that in itself can make it quite difficult to write a good solo. I tried to improvise over this, and found it very awkward. So the first thing I would do is rethink your rhythm track. Make the downbeat in the arpeggio more obvious, and don't switch the pattern up as often as you do.

Now the solo itself. Despite being in the right key, it sounds off because you pick notes to play that clash with the notes in the arpeggio you're playing over. For example, in bar 1 of the solo you hammer between C and D. The C note will sound awkward because you're playing over a G triad. The C note in the solo clashes with the B note from the triad. Then in bar 17 you put heavy emphasis on a D note, which is not part of the Am triad the rhythm is playing.

Instances of this can be found through the entire solo. Now it's perfectly acceptable to use these "off" notes, but you want to use them as passing tones that lead into a strong note from the chord that your rhythm is playing.

Beyond that I do think you've got good ideas, but you really need to work on phrasing and timing. Bends, slides, vibrato and space will make a world of difference.

Listen as many solos as you can, listen to how they're phrased and so forth and borrow as many ideas as you can from the ones you like.

Feel free to check out any of my music in my sig. Most of my songs are fairly solo heavy :)

Thank you very, very much. Your criticism and Flounder's have made me completely rethink my playing in the best way possible. I will definitely check the music in your sig out. Once again, thank you both so much. I have a pretty good idea now of where I want to go with this, and will probably make another thread in a few weeks once I get it down.