First band, I need tips!

PDA

View Full Version : First band, I need tips!

Tobyflyr
02-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Right so I've finally found a band!

We're heading into our first practice meeting/jam/practice session tomorrow, so i need tips and knowledge about this whole band thing! The band consists of my self as rhythm/lead guitar a good friend of mine who's also playing guitar and we'll be switching lead/rhythm a drummer and a female singer.

I've never met the drummer or the singer before, only talked to them briefly over the phone and we're meeting up tomorrow to talk and get to know each other a bit, we'll bring instruments of course, so i could use some tips on the band experience, aswell as tips regarding playing with other people, since I've only tried it a couple of times before.

So hit me with your best shot! Im pretty nervous, and excited!

bazo666
02-15-2011, 05:55 PM
If you were given songs to learn for it, don't use the jam to learn the song.

and the whole switching guitars mightn't go down very well, try n see who's better suited for which role.

Reptilianriff
02-15-2011, 05:57 PM
I've been in a band for about 3 months (an actual serious band) I play bass and backing vocals in said band. It was kind of weird for me because i only knew one of the guitarists (there's five of us in total) and i'd spoken to him on face book once or twice, i had to go out of my way to get to the rehearsal space and got lost along the way resulting in being late, but i got there, walked in and everybody was really cool, and I almost instantly molded into part of the band.

I hope this like..helps you n stuff. or at least entertains you :/

Antis0cial
02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Don't think you need to proof yourself, and don't think your fellow bandmembers need to do the same. Be as openminded as you can.

Jabels225
02-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Just be open to others ideas. and if you guys are being serious set realistic goals with realistic timeframes. it makes it easier to see how people commit that way. like get an idea to when you wana start playing shows, wana start having original tunes down. and don't be nervous about the unknown members, every band ive played in has been better with strangers than with friends because with your friends it seems like people arent afraid to be selfish. hope all this helps. Cheers

Linkerman
02-15-2011, 06:10 PM
The most important thing you must do is to just be yourself.

Second, band practice should be a fun experience for everyone, and personally i think you can only truly enjoy it after you get to know at least a bit about each other.
So take some time to talk between yourselves. For example, tell the others what kind of bands you listen to (so they can know where you're coming from musically).

Also, while playing together, try not to completely focus on what you're playing, and "keeping every beat in time", if you know what i mean...
Listen to the others, try to get their feeling, their tricks... Notice how they act when they mess up a bit, and how they "fix" the mistakes. For example, i can predict every move from my band's drummer -- and that's one of the most important things in a band, because it gives you security while playing live.

Knowing your bandmates and feeling comfortable with them is one giant step towards making your band work perfectly.

Don't be nervous; there's no need to.
Tomorrow you'll have a blast. :cheers:

Tobyflyr
02-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys, well both me and my fellow guitarist have been playing for equally long time and we're pretty close, we've played together a bunch of times, so I'm not really nervous about that..

Im excited to see how the whole thing goes down, I'm determined to have a good time above all, thats what the band is about, none of us have been playing for very long time, and original tracks are a bit in the future, right now its just about the joy of playing with other people..

I guess the social aspect is really the most important part in this kind of band.. I hope we click!

AlanHB
02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
It would be a good idea to decide at the START whether you are a covers or originals band. They have different goals, approaches, set-list times, venues and audiences.

Past that, try to organise some songs for everyone to play together at practice so you guys don't just stand around making noise.

Tobyflyr
02-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Update! First practice went great, we talked for a while first then we decided to try some songs, and i thought an easy one would be 'Smells like teen spirit'. I knew I wouldn't be able to **** that one up on the guitar, and the drums are pretty cool in it too, also we've got a female singer..

All in all it was awesome! I never played with a band before and it just went great, within 3 tries we had everything worked out and in time and everything.. Great fun, cant wait for the next practice!

SlackerBabbath
02-17-2011, 05:15 AM
You may find these useful:

So you want to be in a band? Part 1
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlackerBabbath/blog/51119/

So you want to be in a band? Part 2.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlackerBabbath/blog/51018/

801Current
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
If you were given songs to learn for it, don't use the jam to learn the song.

and the whole switching guitars mightn't go down very well, try n see who's better suited for which role.

Agree with the top quote ^ I have done that a few times makes you feel lame.... but for the bottom; although I agree with picking one lead and one rhythm for the band I have been switching roles with my mate and as long as we know who is playing which in what song it has worked out fine..just whoever picks the song gets dibs on what they want to do in the song and the counterpart gets the other parts. just wanted to say that..

801Current
02-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Alright so this seems like a forum I can put up this question in..

How can I establish a leader in my band??

We started out as chillin jam sessions...me and now three kids..I and the bass/drummer are the founding members and the most commited, we want to get things moving and we find that a lot of our time is waisted on Xbox...playing Poker etc. so how can I let the others know we have to get moving....we have some possible gigs coming, but we struggle to find jam days we mutually have open. So I think maybe if we organize under a leader it might help us out...how do I establish the leader..I mean I don't mind who it is, but I want it to be someone who as commited as me..so it will be me or the bassist most likely. but how do I let them know. I don't want to sound like a douche like this is my band, because I like the current order of things. I just want to organize and kinda get the train rolling.

crevs1972
02-21-2011, 06:43 AM
I read this with interest, I've been playing 2 years and I've come on loads, especially the last 6 months!

Ultimately I'd love to play solo acoustic stuff but I've reached the point where I feel the need to join a band if not to gig then just t jam and get a feel for it, I'm sure it'll bring me on loads. I regulalry jam with a mate (also guitarist) but I have not got a clue what to expect in a band situation.

krypticguitar87
02-21-2011, 05:19 PM
honestly for me the first practice is a lot like the first lesson, you gotta meet everyone see how everyone gets along and what influences they have. you also should take this time to figure out everyones goals and expectations. you should find out how much theory each of you know and how much experience each member has.

you gotta remember that if you have conflicting expectations and goals or if you guys don't get along, those problems are only going to get bigger later, so I believe that this is very crucial step. also unless y ou are a cover band, do not try to tie yourselves down to a specific genre. that can be increadibly hutrful to your progress as a band.

ZaphodBeeblebro
02-23-2011, 02:27 PM
musically seen the most important and difficult thing for people which play the first time in a band is to focus on the drums. When playin at home along the songs you like you usually merely focus on the guitars or basses you want to play, but in a band everybody has to focus on the drummer who is the center of speed and rhythm...
the rest is getting to know the people. You might need patience, but it's just a matter of time. A bandleader however is just useful if you want to have fast progress, if you're just playing for there really isn't any need for it...

Tobyflyr
02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all the responses, we've been practicing 3 times in total now, thought the 2 last times its been just instrumental as our lead singer has been on vacation.. But the 3 of us, 2x guitar and drummer get along really well, we just practiced really easy songs, 'smells like teen spirit' and 'seven nation army' and the likes..

But it is working out really well! We are into the same kind of music and contrary to my first impressions the drummer would actually like to some more low key acoustic stuff as well, which is cool..

Im surprised as to how little skill it actually takes to play simple songs in a band, both of the songs i mentioned are way under my technical ability and general knowledge of guitar, but it still a whole lotta fun, i would urge anyone who is not in a band, to find a band! even if you've only been playing for 6 months to a year..

King Turi
02-26-2011, 08:12 PM
You should totally make the singer play bass if she ain't playing any instrument at the moment.

valennic
02-26-2011, 08:16 PM
musically seen the most important and difficult thing for people which play the first time in a band is to focus on the drums. When playin at home along the songs you like you usually merely focus on the guitars or basses you want to play, but in a band everybody has to focus on the drummer who is the center of speed and rhythm...
the rest is getting to know the people. You might need patience, but it's just a matter of time. A bandleader however is just useful if you want to have fast progress, if you're just playing for there really isn't any need for it...

Your username.

Really?

crevs1972
03-02-2011, 06:50 AM
So how good do you really have to be to gig, I learn songs on my own but obviously there's no bass or drums so your always under pressure to fill the void with sound, rushing to get from the rhythm to the licks or solo's and back. I figure drums and bass take a lot of pressure of a guitarist, as does a vocalist?

I'm on the verge of looking for a band but I keep convincing myself Im not ready but I guess I'll still be saying that in 5 years time.

I guess I need to grow a pair of balls!

AlanHB
03-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Yep pretty much. All you need to play in bands is basic chord knowledge.

Tobyflyr
03-02-2011, 10:12 AM
So how good do you really have to be to gig, I learn songs on my own but obviously there's no bass or drums so your always under pressure to fill the void with sound, rushing to get from the rhythm to the licks or solo's and back. I figure drums and bass take a lot of pressure of a guitarist, as does a vocalist?

I'm on the verge of looking for a band but I keep convincing myself Im not ready but I guess I'll still be saying that in 5 years time.

Well as you probably read i just joined a band, its way less scary than i thought, all you really need to know is basic chords.. A singer especially takes a huge amount of pressure form a guitarist.. Seeing as except during solo you really just need to play chords or a simple riff over the rhythm you don't have to fill that empty gap anymore, thats the singers job..

But try to find musicians at your level that way one of you wont be draggin' around with the rest, and the other way a round, you wont feel that you suck compared to the rest the band..

Also keep in mind, in most cases the drummer and the singer wont know a thing about the guitar.. They'll have to listen to what you say..

whalio
03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
As one of my band members(who is an amazing guitarist, even though he's our bassist) always says, "Fake it till you make it".

axeman80
03-02-2011, 10:01 PM
As one of my band members(who is an amazing guitarist, even though he's our bassist) always says, "Fake it till you make it".

I believe "close enough for rock n roll" is our band's motto...

crevs1972
03-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Well as you probably read i just joined a band, its way less scary than i thought, all you really need to know is basic chords.. A singer especially takes a huge amount of pressure form a guitarist.. Seeing as except during solo you really just need to play chords or a simple riff over the rhythm you don't have to fill that empty gap anymore, thats the singers job..

But try to find musicians at your level that way one of you wont be draggin' around with the rest, and the other way a round, you wont feel that you suck compared to the rest the band..

Also keep in mind, in most cases the drummer and the singer wont know a thing about the guitar.. They'll have to listen to what you say..

Cheers for the kick up the ass Toby, after reading your post I finally found some balls and started putting the feelers out and I've been invited for a jam with a band who are looking for a 2nd guitarist in a few days. They seem really laid back and cool about the whole thing.

I owe you one

:cheers:

Tobyflyr
03-21-2011, 01:59 AM
Cool :D Glad to ear that it helped someone! Be sure to post how the jam went!

crevs1972
03-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Well it was absolutely amazing, I was clearly punching well above my weight with regards to the standards of the other musicians and I was petrified. What made it a little more difficult was the fact they played mostly originals but I soon got the hang of it. I kept good time and once I found the groove it seemed like I was taken away somewhere else ! I learned more in 2 hours that I have in the last 6 months!

Even though Iím pretty green they seemed happy with everything and they offered me the place. Canít wait for next week although I think Iím gonna need to show consistent, significant improvement every week especially towards the lead side of things but Iím more than happy with the pressure, itís the direction that really seemed to be lacking in my playing!

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated!

Tobyflyr
03-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Sounds like the exact experience i had, I too feel like I've progressed way more with the last month than i did for several months before i joined the band.. It really helps!

SlackerBabbath
03-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Well it was absolutely amazing, I was clearly punching well above my weight with regards to the standards of the other musicians and I was petrified. What made it a little more difficult was the fact they played mostly originals but I soon got the hang of it. I kept good time and once I found the groove it seemed like I was taken away somewhere else ! I learned more in 2 hours that I have in the last 6 months!

It's good isn't it. :D
And the best thing is, the more experienced musicians you jam with, the better you get. So even though you may be in a band, it's always good to occasionaly jam with different musicians.