Trouble with my band and songwriting

PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with my band and songwriting

espnukka
02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey guys! I joined up in a locally successful progressive metalcore band about 4 months ago. Ever since I joined, I have pretty much been writing all of the new material with very little input from the rest of the members. Not to seem like I'm walking all over the band, its just they dont give me much input into the songwriting process. We (or should I say, I) have come up with some great songs, but truthfully nothing that blows people away. I really feel that we could do so much better if there was more input from the other members, but I'm really not getting any. What should I do?

dmiwshicldply
02-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Ask them for help? Almost every problem within a band can be solved by talking about said problem.

Zeletros
02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Show them this thread

Clabbe
02-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Or instead of showing this thread you can talk to them

jsantos
02-16-2011, 04:16 PM
You said they were "locally successful progressive metalcore band"...... So they wrote effective songs for people to dig them. How was their songwriting process before you came along?

krypticguitar87
02-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Ask them for help? Almost every problem within a band can be solved by talking about said problem.

if you don't do this then you might as well just stop playing period. you can talk to us, but we arent' the ones that are causing the problem, talk to them and let them know that you can't write everything. not to mention you had to learn the stuff they wrote before you so they had to write those, and if they didn't but an old member did you may need a big overhaul of the entire band...

AlanHB
02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
You said they were "locally successful progressive metalcore band"...... So they wrote effective songs for people to dig them. How was their songwriting process before you came along?

Exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps the TS replaced the primary songwriter?

Not many bands can write music well together. I've personally been in zero. Usually a song is written by one or two of the members separate from the band, they bring it to practice and the rest of the guys just fill in their parts to the song/s.

You can try talking to them, but they don't HAVE to help you write, most musicians are quite happy to just fill in their parts rather than write songs.

espnukka
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps the TS replaced the primary songwriter?

Thats exactly the case. The previous guitarist wrote a lot of the songs they had previously. When I joined, the sound of the band changed from a generic hardcore band to a more progressive style of music. The other guitarist voiced it to me that he thinks I ignore a lot of his ideas, but yet at practices when I ask anyone if they have ideas, nobody puts anything on the table. No riff ideas, no song structure ideas or anything, save for the drummer.

The main thing I want to get at is whether or not I'm walking all over them and wielding it when it comes to songwriting. If theres no ideas from them, then obviously the one with ideas, me, ends up making the songs.

AlanHB
02-17-2011, 03:10 AM
The other guitarist voiced it to me that he thinks I ignore a lot of his ideas, but yet at practices when I ask anyone if they have ideas, nobody puts anything on the table. No riff ideas, no song structure ideas or anything, save for the drummer.

Sounds like a cry baby to me. He either has ideas or he doesn't. Pay attention when he has ideas, and if he doesn't, ignore the crying.

The main thing I want to get at is whether or not I'm walking all over them and wielding it when it comes to songwriting. If theres no ideas from them, then obviously the one with ideas, me, ends up making the songs.

It's not "walking all over them" because you're concerned they have no creative input. However on the other hand they have no ideas either. If they have no ideas, you're just giving them direction, as without you, an instigator, they'd just sit around doing nothing.

SlackerBabbath
02-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Sounds like a cry baby to me. He either has ideas or he doesn't. Pay attention when he has ideas, and if he doesn't, ignore the crying.

It's not "walking all over them" because you're concerned they have no creative input. However on the other hand they have no ideas either. If they have no ideas, you're just giving them direction, as without you, an instigator, they'd just sit around doing nothing.

Agreed.
Another way of looking at it is if you replaced the primary songwriter, then it could be assumed that you were hired to take up his post of primary songwriter and that your duties now include writing most of the material.

While bands should, in my opinion, be run democraticaly, they still usualy need someone who takes the initiative and lead them in order for a band to be unified.