Prog rock/metal

PDA

View Full Version : Prog rock/metal

deilyte172
02-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Hey guys, I wrote a prog rock/metal song, and I just need your opinion on my music(I'm writing for my band actually...). It's titled "The Dark Side". I'm inspired mostly by Dream Theater, so there's a lot of DT stuff there. I kinda copied "A Change of Seasons" by DT, so it's divided into sections, there's a total of 5 sections in this song. OK, so I just need your comments, opinions, or maybe suggestions to make the song better. There aren't any vocals yet, just the music, but I'm writing the lyrics for it now...

So, here's the first two section of the song...

Pete-V
02-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Nice dude :D The first was really beautiful and the second had really the feeling progresive metal shall have (; keep it comming :D

deilyte172
02-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Here's the 3rd section of the song...

I left the guitar solo section blank cuz I like to improvise over solos rather than writing it... :)

MagicsDevil
02-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Critiquing chapter 3 as I listen...

-Intro is pretty good, using the beefy E5 there.
-I'm not an expert on synth lines, but the arpeggios in this are strong. :p: Although it is a bit cheesy.
-Nice occasional crash hits, and thanks for using 36 for the kick and not 35, lol.
-Ensemble in the back sounds good behind the arpeggios, of course.

-good use of triplet 4ths
-When the gallops come in it starts to remind me of The Final Countdown lol >.<
still pretty sweet though

Bar 25: transition is alright, change tempo part is pretty good, but I feel like you could have ventured a little further out of the lower range, but maybe thats just me.

51: Alright transition again, this time a bit more complex, although it still seems to be lacking a bit of depth, which I think could be fixed by changing the drums to be a bit less raw, or even adding some soft synth. Otherwise good.

59: Other instruments come in, very good.

Solo section: I like the 16th note kick coming in there, your choice of cymbals, etc are a bit lacking, but I get the idea.

-The whole-note powerchord thing worked a bit before, but I would keep the chords and mix it up a bit if I were you.

C4C at http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1396015

I would suggest criting Synder or Beam, maybe Mathy. ;)

deilyte172
02-20-2011, 04:01 AM
Thank's for the crit, I'm still learning music theory anyway... (And I'm still 14, too :p: )

Here's the 4th and final section of the song...

patrickaumon
02-20-2011, 04:18 AM
lolmusictheory

I think it's a way to stop you from experimenting stuff since you are stuck with the basic rules of "this must match with that and that..."

unless you want to teach it later.

MagicsDevil
02-20-2011, 04:22 AM
Thank's for the crit, I'm still learning music theory anyway... (And I'm still 14, too :p: )

Hey nice man, cool to see a fellow 14 year old writing some stuff :D