Drop c tuning : Is it safe for the instrument?

PDA

View Full Version : Drop c tuning : Is it safe for the instrument?

xdx
02-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Hey guys :D
I've got an Ibanez S420 guitar and i would like to tune it to drop c , but i would like to ask 2 questions first :

a.Is it safe ? :confused:
I heard that it can damage the guitar :(

b.What strings do you recommend for both drop c and standard tuning ?

Thanks in advance. :)

m1mccoy
02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Are you planning on having that one guitar be taken from Standard tuning to drop C back and forth? The problem with different tunings is the tension in the neck will change, and you can adjust the truss rod accordingly, but you wouldn't want to have a guitar that you change from Standard and drop C on a whim.

Baconator1228
02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
a. Yes its safe

b. 10-52s

boosted928
02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Well I honestly don't know if it can harm it, but i would assume it doesn't if quite a few metal bands use it all the time and even go to drop b and a. I use 10 gauge strings on my Epiphone and go from Half-step down to drop c alot. I know retuning it that often isn't good for the guitar, but i keep my PRS in standard all the time (occasionally half step down).

theogonia777
02-19-2011, 12:51 PM
it's safe, though you might need to adjust the trussrod slightly. for strings, i'd recommend 10's or 11's on the top for drop c, and for bottoms like 52's or something like that. though due to the tremolo bar on that guitar, you really shouldn't be changing back and forth between drop c and standard, as double locking tremolo guitars are a real pain in the ass to change tunings, so you really won't want to go back and forth, and also you'd use a heavier gauge for drop c, which might be too heavy for standard.

also, this is in the wrong forum. the NMQ&A forum isn't for guitar related threads.

ronhoward
02-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Yes it is safe, but I would suggest keeping it in one tuning. You can switch when you change strings, but then you'll have to make adjustments to the guitar.

For Drop C I'd use 10's or 11's. It's just whatever is more comfortable to you as long as you're not using too heavy of a string for the tuning. 13's in Standard will probably mess up your bridge.

The^Unforgiven
02-19-2011, 12:52 PM
First of all, this actually belongs to the "Electric Guitar" -forum. And no, it's not really dangerous - do keep in mind that a slightly thicker string gauge is in order, and very thick gauges do put more stress on the neck. That's why necks have truss rods, though, so worry not.
For Drop C I'd recommend a .10 or a .11 gauge set, depending of whether you want a tighter or a sloppier feel to the strings. Also, there are lots of hybrid sets out there that have lighter top strings and heavier bottom strings, but I haven't tried many of them out.