[GP5] A Pain Worth Bearing (a series of instrumentals)

PDA

View Full Version : [GP5] A Pain Worth Bearing (a series of instrumentals)

herby190
02-19-2011, 03:20 PM
C4C

Just a few instrumentals I've written; some of them have been on UG before, some haven't.

This isn't meant to be an album; A Pain Worth Bearing is actually the name of another instrumental piece that I haven't quite finished yet. However, I'd love to be able to release these someday.

These are meant to be listened to using RSE. A large portion of the instrument changes won't work in MIDI. If you still choose to use MIDI, please notify me, so I know that your review won't be quite so accurate. Oh, and the drums in The Vegetarian Butcher are too quiet to hear if you use MIDI; I'm not sure why, but if you aren't using RSE, don't even bother with that one.

Anyways, I'd love to hear what you all think. :cheers:

Edit: Too many songs have been added to fit into a .zip, and a lot of the same songs have been getting critted anyways. The file below is just some of the ones that really need to be reviewed; if you want the full file, you can download it from Mediafire here (http://www.mediafire.com/?86mjumn9oq7c99e).

Newedit: Two new tracks up, both of which are shorter than usual. The first is Maybe It's Time We Start Letting People in, which is kind of a part 2 for We've Said Enough Goodbyes To Last a Lifetime. The second new track is It All Still Seems So Innocent. I was trying to change things up a little, and ended up using six guitar tracks, and no strings; the structure is also far different from many of my other tracks. A warning; my computer could barely run the RSE towards the end, due to the amount of guitars and such. Then again, my computer is pretty old, so chances are, yours is better. Most of the instrument changes don't work in MIDI, so listening to it in MIDI is rather pointless.

patrickaumon
02-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Drums in the vegetarian butcher are not too quiet to hear if you just put the volume to 16.

herby190
02-19-2011, 05:20 PM
There's still several instrument changes that don't work; for example, Guitar I doesn't go distorted when you use MIDI.

patrickaumon
02-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Aesthetics: I love the intro with clean guitars (if it's supose to be clean) I would add a lot of effects with a real recording. Very impressive for a simple pattern. Once the Drums enter it's getting even better.

I very love how you used the same notes with a different pattern in the first distortion part.
So far it's a good track. I find it repetitive but it can be a lot different with vocals.

8/10

*i'll get to the other songs later*

SeEsAw12
02-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Vegetarian Butcher and Aesthetics are my favorite. They're just build solidly, nothing I would change or add on those.

Fourty-Five minutes sounded alot like an Explosions in the Sky song. But I still liked it alot. I love how you keep the main hook in the background almost through almost every song.

herby190
03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Update in the OP, with new material. :)

tomas_almeida
03-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Ok, I'll listen to the whole thing and I'll write the crit at the same time I'm listening (this will take a while...).

Aesthetics: I liked this one a lot. Obvious post-rock feel with amazing build ups. Just didn't like that the chord sequence had almost no variaton throughout. The drums with crash cymbal hits played in 16ths was somewhat not needed and over the top. But overall, I think you were able to accpmplish what you seemed to want in this song.

Can't We Just Admire The Scenery: Post-Rock. I'm starting to guess this is the feel you're going for in these tracks. Great! Let me start by saying that this would be seriously better with any kind of bass to fill those low a lower-mid frequencies. I prefer the harmonic content in this one compared to Aesthetics, there is more variety and less stagnation. However, I think Aesthetics did a better job at "surrounding" the listener, if you understand what I'm trying to say with surrounding (difficult thing to express verbally). The drums are bit too "copy-paste" to my liking.

Continuation: I don't like this one until bar 57 because it reminds me too much of my country's (Portugal) popular (folkish/cheesy) music. However, from bar 57 onwards I like it. I ADORE bar 57 (as so, bar 81, bar 89 , that particular musical idea)! Bars 153-200 (and 233-end) are my second favourite thing in this track (first already metnioned). However, by this point, I'm finding that you themes (songs, tracks, whatever...) are a little bit too similiar, specially drum parts.

First and Last: different from the previous ones, which is good in this case! I like this one, and I think the drums are better in this one (except in 37-52, here they are the rock-drums cliché pattern that makes me yawn).

Fourty-Five Minutes: I didn't like this one. The harmonic movement was too much like a pop ballad. However, I can't say it was badly written, just my taste.

The Beauty In Breathing: This one is a little less "ethereal" and more "earthy-feeling". From the ones I've heard up until now this may be my favourite. You use a lot of major 6ths, which are one of my favourite intervals. The only thing bad about this one is that it's too repetitive. The main theme is repeated almost throughout the whole track.

The Vegetarian Butcher: The 6/8 time signature is very welcomed and feels nice throughout the song, although you the instruments are playing it like a 3/4, so maybe you should choose the 3/4 instead. I liked the song more from 107 onwards. Working on a different time signature made you come up with more creative patterns for the drums. I liked the good use of additional percussion and synths. I liked this one as much as The Beauty In Breathing.

Wading: Very nice note choice! The chords and the harmonic movement is really good and flows really well from the beggining. I liked the way you subdivided the 4/4 to a 3/8 + 3/8 + 2/8 in the first 29 bars. It's not really uncommon to do that (even coldplay did it in the speed of sound), but nevertheless, it sounds really cool. The leads are really flawless in this tracks. If it had a nice bass it would be by far my favourite, but like this, I'll put in on par with The Vegetarian Butcher and The Beauty In Breathing.

Overall, I think you had some very cool ideas. You just need some polishing on certain areas that were mentioned and you'll have a very nice group of tracks. The last 3 tracks would become simply breathtaking (pun intended) with a little more work and properly recorded.

Keep up the good work an go check out my thread if you want to listen to something unusual.

herby190
03-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Wow; thanks for all the time put into your review. You have an interesting perspective. I've made some changes based on your review, and I plan to continue doing so once I have the chance. I checked out your piece, and critted it the best I could; I kinda feel like it went over my head, to be honest. Thanks so much for putting so much time into this. :cheers:

herby190
04-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Update in the OP, with new material.

Joshua1207
04-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Criticizing 'Can't We Just Admire The Scenery' - I like the intro, simple yet effective. I like when you add in the other guitars, sounds really good. There is so far nothing wrong with this song at all. I love when the drums come in too. Wasn't too big of a fan when the distortion first came in but it becomes good after very little while. You're good at harmonizing I must say.
I don't really care for when its just guitar I playing alone in that little chord section, but it doesn't last long thankfully.

There's not really a whole lot wrong with this song. You should definitely record this song someday. Usually I don't care for too much of the stuff posted in here but this song is fantastic to say the least. You're really good at doing drums I must say. Originally I was just going to listen/critic one of your songs but I liked this one enough I'll probably end up listening to them all at a later date (will post critics once I have). Anyways good work!

If you would like to critic my song, that'd be cool http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427345

herby190
04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Thank you; it's good to hear that you enjoyed it. :)

I returned your crit; your piece is different than I expected. It's nice to see some things on here that aren't Metalcore or heavier.

Also, I updated the OP with a finished version of At Long Last, Honesty. It's much different than all the other pieces in this thread; I feel like it reflects my recent obsession with Sigur Ros, as well as an attempt to change up the mood a little bit.

Joshua1207
04-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Criticizing 'At Long Last Honesty' - I like the intro especially once the second guitar comes in, although the second guitar riff might sound better on the piano. Still like it nonetheless. I didn't really care for the chord section you had going on with the second guitar around bar 40ish. I didn't hate it or anything, just wasn't anything special. Same with the chord part at bar 60 onward. The piano part does make it a bit more interesting though.

I like the build up at bar 89-96 with the drums. You transitioned into the part without drums (bar 106 I believe) pretty well. I liked it. They come back in at bar 129 pretty smooth as well. I liked the outro with the piano but I think you should add some variation into it while it fades out. I like the song for the most part, nothing really specifically wrong with it besides being a tad repetitive although thats not always a bad thing (a lot of my songs are pretty repetitive too lol). Just try to make it a bit more interesting.

Since I criticized another song of yours, maybe you could critic another one of mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429129
I'll try to post reviews of every song in the OP soon. I like the two songs I've listened to so far.

herby190
04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Update in the OP. I added a bass track to Fourty-Five Minutes, and added a new piece titled Origins.

Todd Hart
04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
The intro to Fourty-Five Minutes is way too similar to Your Hand in Mine by Explosions in the Sky. :haha: Otherwise I liked most of the tracks. :)

Mean Mr Mustard
04-22-2011, 08:02 PM
The intro to Fourty-Five Minutes is way too similar to Your Hand in Mine by Explosions in the Sky. :haha: Otherwise I liked most of the tracks. :)
haha it is pretty similar :p:

Anyways, Origins:
holy shit, this looks massive, cant wait :p. As I go.

Really lovely piano intro, the right hand is fantastic. Nice strings addition, expecting a cresendo, but the route you went was fine too. Im gonna have to try that capo on the bottom two strings haha. The electric guitar was unexpected, I was sorta expecting a big buildup, but its okay. Very atypical from what I was expecting, seems like youve improved much since the last thing I listened to from you. Bar 57, its getting stronger, powerful, Im liking this.

Bar 73, not sure how I feel about this guitar harmony, since that other one just ended, seems like it could use a change. This change comes afterwards, I really enjoyed the section at bar 81. Nice addition of sounds an instruments before it falls back to that intro. This is reminding me of a much heavier type of post-rock, and Im really liking it. The addition of that distorted guitar in 105 was great.

Very nice outro, it doesnt seem to come too soon, which is what I initially thought. The song is actually pretty compact, and even though I thought it could use more stuff, I think it was fine. The piano intro and outro was amazing. The only thing that I would really change is that one guitar harmony I mentioned, just didnt do much to me. That section of the song is its flaw, the amazing intro and outro is untouchable, but the middle section let me down just a bit. Overall, great writing though, enjoying it much more than your previous work, keet it up! :)

Could you C4C my pop-punk songs here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434819) ?

herby190
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the crit. I wasn't really sure about Origins, seeing as it was so different than all of the others, and so much more strongly based around the piano.

Anyways, I'll get to critting your stuff once I get back to my house; the sound system on this computer is pretty bad, so I'm waiting until I can get back to my own computer.

intothe
05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I checked out aesthetics, and it's a very beautiful song man. The beginning, the part before the drums, reminded me of Sigur Ros, but with more balls haha. I especially liked the build-up starting from bar 145, very powerful as it progresses.
In my opinion, the crash roll that follows a bit after was a bit too much, I think that it would sound better doing it on the ride or another, less crashy cymbal. But all in all I'm impressed!

herby190
05-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks. :)

I love Sigur Ros, but I hadn't even started listening to them when I wrote Aesthetics. :haha:

Also, there just wasn't any way to correctly represent the ending drum part in GP; in real life, it sounds much different, and not so abrasive/annoying.

herby190
05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Update in the OP, with a new track, titled The Climb Was Nice, But The View Could Make a Blind Man Weep.

Mean Mr Mustard
05-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey, first of all, thanks for the crit on my stuff, Ill take all that into consideration.

I figure Ill listen to your new one, The Climb Was Nice, But The View Could Make a Blind Man Weep. I like the addition of piano to your music, definitely a route to take, fits very well. The whole intro guitar parts were pretty well done. Only thing I'd do is to have the bass come in when the drums come in, and maybe have that turned up a bit. The break at bar 37 was really nice. Wasn't too sure of that bendy section to be honest, I think it was that quarter step bend that sounds off. With distortion, that section sounded a whole lot nicer though, especially with those open notes.

The addition of the piano that comes back in was niceee. When the strings came in at around 70, they were really too quiet to hear. Back to the bendy part - I think that the first bar is amazingly awesome, but the second bar where it moves down a step kinda ruins it for me, not sure why. Over time, it gets better though, but I still can't really hear the strings :p . The part with the fast strummed chords on track 2 was great, sounds live it would be heavy as hell to hear live. The ending wraps up everything quite nicely, it seems pretty well written, theres repetition, but it still flows nicely.

Overall, I guess there wouldn't be much that I would change. I like how you follow that post-rock sorta song structure, which plays almost like a book, building tension and getting heavier, and then exploding before dying down again. I love songs like that, but you should try going outside that structure sometime (not saying you never do; i havent listened to all of these, but it would be cool still). Are you planning on recording any of this any time soon? Its good stuff and Id imagine that live it would transfer over much better than in MIDI form.

herby190
06-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the review. :)

I did a bit of re-EQing on it, but I feel like there's still a little more work to be done.

I'd love to record all of this some day, but I have no idea how I would. I would want it to be recorded with multiple tracks at once, so instead of playing to a metronome, the tracks would capture the energy of the compositions, which would mean bringing in a lot of other musicians, especially for the instruments I don't play (the strings could probably be computerized, but I'd like to have a real piano). Still, if I ever get a chance, I will; there are a few pieces among these that mean quite a bit to me.

Speaking of which, there's an update in the OP with a new piece, titled "A Ten Day Swim;" I revisited an old piece, and completely rewrote it, and am quite happy with the result.

Seb1uk
06-11-2011, 11:03 AM
I haven't got RSE installed yet but I tried adjusting the volumes to make it work better

The Climb Was Nice But The View Could Make A Blind Man Weep:
The intro builds up nicely but I think the lead line could be a bit more interesting. It's cool when it kicks in a bit at bar 45, but I think some of those notes don't sound right, especially the second bar of that phrase. I think that quarter bend at the end of the phrase also should be changed. The break at bar 77 is really nice and builds up to the climax well.

The song flows really well, the ending is pretty epic, but I felt that the first half of the song could be improved on. But overall it's got a nice atmosphere to it and I enjoyed it.

Taclite
06-11-2011, 12:47 PM
The Vegetarian Butcher was beautiful.

herby190
06-14-2011, 04:58 PM
I've updated the OP with a new piece titled "We've Said Enough Goodbyes to Last a Lifetime." Also, I've taken out First and Last (I never particularly liked that one to begin with, I just finally got around to removing it), and still need someone to review A Ten Day Swim. However, if you want to review a shorter one (A Ten Day Swim is almost 10 minutes), the new one would be a good one to look at; it's only about five minutes, which is pretty short as far as my instrumental pieces go.

h3yho
06-15-2011, 04:12 AM
I really liked Wading. The 2nd and 3rd guitars sounded so beatiful 22-29. The riff at 92 gives new cool melody to the song.

All your song in the whole are good but your first guitar always playes the same way just notes are different. It was interesting at first but then it was hard to keep interest to the songs. Great work anyhow:)

herby190
06-15-2011, 10:41 AM
What do you mean "always plays the same way?"

h3yho
06-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I mean that arpeggio or something Im not sure what is it. Guitar I plays it in almost every your song

herby190
06-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Not all of the songs even start off with just a single guitar, so I'm not sure what you mean. Although the rhythm parts often start off with arpeggios, they're always different ones; not trying to argue, just not sure what you're referring to.

vsdornelas
06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
"Origins"

Well man, you've got me here. I have a weak spot for piano, and I think you did a nice job on the intro, building-up tension 'til the guitar and drums kick in. That lick was good, though I think you should throw some variations there.
64-80 was good, but is that acoustic lick on 81 playable :haha:? Anyways, he guitar harmonies are pretty nice, I liked it.
106- forward was awesome. The drummer going wild... that's really good. However, you keep repeating the same guitar lick. That's exhausting to hear. But the piano ending (reminded me of Heaven And Hell's acoustic outro) was well done.

Good work.

amonamarthmetal
06-28-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm returning the crit on the song Aesthetics

intro is nice, the second hamonry adds a nice texture, as does the third guitar. it gets a bit repetative, thats mainy cause of the cheap midi's though. i think you should add a warm pad to the intro to add more atmosphere. the climax at 177 was really nice. 183 has a sour note in the ensemble strings, i dont know if that was intentional but it sounds like poop. if you add a delay effect to the main melody guitar (just in some points of the song) that wuld add a nice texture to it, if you did it for the whole song it would just get repetative. the song resolves nicely so no problems there.

herby190
07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I added yet another new piece to the OP. Thank god for .zip files, because uncompressed, this one's 192kb. :haha:

guitar_jew
07-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Critting 'The Climb Was Nice..." because the title was interesting to me. Is it a quote from somewhere, or did you come up with that? If you couldn't tell by my piece, I'm a sucker for atmosphere- and this definitely feels like a post-rocky atmospheric sort of thing. And it's done extremely well- I wish I knew how to mix RSE 1/10th as well as this, but I could never figure it out.

When the distortion first kicks in, some of those bends didn't do it for me, but the energy felt alright. I like the sixteenth hi-hats at 81, great build-up with that. With the RSE- maybe it's just my laptop speakers- around 90 or so, when you've got all the layers going, it starts to sound a bit muddy. But I can imagine what you were going for, thanks to the tabs being visible.

Good stuff. I like it.

You said that 'Ten Day Swim' hasn't gotten any crits, so I'll hit that one later- house is being shown to some people in a bit, and I don't know if I have time for a ten minute piece and a crit.

herby190
07-10-2011, 12:04 PM
The title is something I came up with; I actually spent awhile figuring out exactly how to word it. I knew what I wanted to say, but it took a bit to get it to sound right; it has a bit of personal meaning to me.

I can see how it'd get muddy on laptop speakers. I'm blessed enough to have pretty good speakers with my computer; I've even got a subwoofer. :haha:

The mixing is kind of something that just came with time. These instrumental projects started as just three guitars and drums, and have evolved into.... well, what you just listened to. :haha:

Anyways, thanks for the crit. :)

SquierLolz
07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
This is a review on Aesthetics.
It has a really relaxing vibe too it on the first part. When the distortion comes in it changes vibe to really Upcheering, while not being too happy sounding.

It's very nice, drums are good. Nice!

pol315
07-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Hey! I only listened to Fourty-Five minutes, but it sounded pretty cool! It was a nice slow chill song, and my friend listened and enjoyed it as well. I really like the progression, and the build up was great! I would turn up the bass pretty high, it's barely audible otherwise!

pol315
07-14-2011, 07:51 PM
It reminds us of Explosions In The Sky as well! :D

herby190
07-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Update in the OP; newest piece is titled "We Fell To Pieces At The Sight of Context."

I'm almost at the upload limit; looks like I'll have to make a new file sometime soon. :haha:

Joshua1207
07-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Criticizing "We Fell To Pieces At The Sight of Context."

I like the intro, it reminds me a bit of Modest Mouse, which is a great thing. The chords come in perfect as well. I can't say that I liked the drums too much at first, but they picked up at bar 40. I really enjoyed the chord progressions you got going on, but around bar 73 everything starts too get a bit too loud. I don't like that main riff you got going on with distortion. Sounds much better clean.
Things start to get better at bar 105. Although when guitar II comes in, I think it would sound better clean, but it may just be GP that makes the distortion sound real terrible. I do like the bass lines you got going on for the majority of the song. Fits in nicely. I did enjoy the ending, those riffs, in my opinion, sound much better clean.
Oh, and one other thing, the part that first appears at bar 91 on Guitar III sounds really familiar. I swear I've heard that in another song. I have to say that bars 89-104 are probably the ones that I dislike the most.

Anyways, I liked the song for the most part. Its just some parts sound muddy I suppose. I'm sure it sounds much better in real life though because Guitar Pro distortion just never sounds good to me.

herby190
10-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Wow, this thread has been inactive for awhile. I've added some new stuff to the OP, and retired some of the ones that I feel have been thoroughly reviewed.

Mean Mr Mustard
11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the crit on my song, Ill definitely change that chorus bit and look at the intro. Hmm I feel like Ill listen to A 10 Day Swim, since thats got a nice title.

It certainly starts off nice too. The strings work well, and the piano is very minimalist but works. I could imagine it sounding so much better if it wasnt a MIDI sound though haha. I thought the guitar part with the strings fading came way too quickly. It felt right, and sounded nice, but I think the strings should have been playing for a little while longer before dropping out and going into that part. Not sure how I feel about the next part though, with that guitar playing the A# and B. But once the piano comes in, it sorta rounds itselt out.

Bar 57 was leading up to it was an amazing buildup, and I liked how it just settled down afterwards. Bar 74 was another really nice release. Really liked the octaves track throughout that part and the harmonizing they did. I wasnt listening with RSE, but I think you should do everything you can to make that part heavy as balls haha. The next part was nice too, I like those chord voicings.

The lead part that came towards the end (around bar 106) was pretty nice, and I liked each lead part doing their own thing. I liked how it settled down around 122. Very nice part there, kinda groovy sounding with that bass riff. That big climax with the octaves coming in again sounded cool, but then HOLYSHIT 146 was insane! Very crazy sounding, and served as a great climax. Nice ending too with the piano and strings, great way to close the song.

Well anyways, thats my view of it. Pretty impressive song you have there. You're getting this post-rock style down pretty well now.

MorbidAngel1989
11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Firs of all thank you for the crit. Anyway I listened to all of them. They are all pretty good. A Ten Day Swim was gonna be my favorite until I listened to the last one. We've said enough Goodbyes to Last a Lifetime reminded me of a lot of shoegaze that I love like My Bloody Valentine and Lush. The ending was also very different from the others as it wasn't a fading out type thing. Speaking of that, my only real complain about the pieces is that 4 of the 5 have some form or another of fading out. It got too predictable at one point. But good job otherwise.

herby190
11-29-2011, 04:25 PM
The ones that are left in the new file are mostly from a period where I used a lot of fade-outs; not all of the songs end with a fade out, but I can see how you'd get that impression based on the songs available to you. :haha:

Anyways, thanks for listening to all five; that's surprising, considering the average lengths of these songs is probably somewhere around six minutes.

herby190
12-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Two new tracks in the OP; in my opinion, they contain a fair amount of change from some of the others in this thread.

Mean Mr Mustard
12-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks, appreciate the crit, and I liked all your ideas for the vocals! Im listening to "Maybe It's Time..."

Once the three guitar tracks come in, they form together very nicely, and the percussion definitely helps smooth things out. The chilled vibe you created carries on through, and the drums help a lot, as well as the strings. Going into distortion was the natural move, and fit the song well. It had a really "joyful" sound to it. The post-climax cooldown part was very nice. At the end there, I would make the strings a little more loud.

It was a pretty short song. Still had that buildup, then the climax, and all the instrumentals make it great post-rock though. There's not much I would change structure wise. However, during the "climax of the song", I think you could have a little more energy behind it. Especially at bar 81, it seems like it needs to be a little bigger, maybe have another rhythm aspect behind it.