Recording my band...

PDA

View Full Version : Recording my band...

fireblast13
02-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Couldn't think of a better name... and no it has nothing to do with the actual recording...

Anyways, on with the problem.
Back with my old band, we were just starting to record a demo with a guy we met on craigslist. We had a few times together, we recorded, and the one song that we did finish sounded pretty good. Not 100% pro, but pretty good. His car broke, couldn't make any more, our singer/bassist quit, and that was the end of this band.

Out of the ashes of that band rose my current band. We have a few gigs coming up, nothing special. But our rhythm guitarist wants to start doing recording earlier, and in segments rather than a large break. So basically, we're recording. With this band, we have two "techies" who basically supervise any live recordings (Done with the old band), vids, pics, etc. and the one would prefer to just pay $80, get our own mixer/interface, and record ourselves. However, the recording guy from our old band and I had stayed in touch, and he finally has a reliable car again. He is willing to record us for free for the whole car issue. Now I'm split.

Also, he had to sell his only condensor mic because of money issues during the winter. The techie we have has his own condensor mic, and doesn't trust the recording guy to record us again, citing his past unreliableness.

TL; DR
At a crossroads. Pay $80 for a mixer/interface and do recording ourselves, or do recording for free with a person we've had good experience with, albeit with less equipment now (minus one condensor mic).

Sorry for the wall of text.

Punkrokkboi
02-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Go with the free recording cuz I doubt you guys have as much equipment as him. And if you do, then you'll have a condenser to lend him for your recording. I guarantee that your recording won't sound even 1/4 as good as his, since you guys have less equipment (Im assuming) and less experience.

rebel rocker
02-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Go with the free recording but definitely try to learn as much about recording from the guy as you can so in the future you'll be able to do your own recordings and not have to rely on other people

AlanHB
02-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Are you guys gigging yet? If not I wouldn't consider forking anything out for a recording.

With my bands, the demos I record to upload to websites and hand to venues are recorded with one condenser mic/recorder in the room (Zoom H2), and that's it. With some experimentation you should be able to get a good sound out of this simple setup.

If you must go the studio, try out the free guy first, because it's free and you think he can do it. If it doesn't work out, go to the other guy.

Myshadow46_2
02-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Are you guys gigging yet? If not I wouldn't consider forking anything out for a recording.

With my bands, the demos I record to upload to websites and hand to venues are recorded with one condenser mic/recorder in the room (Zoom H2), and that's it. With some experimentation you should be able to get a good sound out of this simple setup.

If you must go the studio, try out the free guy first, because it's free and you think he can do it. If it doesn't work out, go to the other guy.

This, my band just records by placing my Korg D4 in the room. They are by no means pro sounding, but for a rough demo it's fine. That's all you need at this stage. Click my band link in my sig and you'll be able to hear the results.

due 07
02-22-2011, 03:14 AM

Just out of curiosity, where exactly do you place the recorder? And could you maybe link me to an example of your recordings (preferably electric full band)? Because this is exactly what me and my band could use.