Over-imaginative bandmates

PDA

View Full Version : Over-imaginative bandmates

IommiPage
02-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Here we go.

Well, my band has always liked to dream big, much like any other I guess. Crazy light shows, big stages, screaming chicks, the works. Lately, they've been taking it abit overboard. Right now, they're attempting to email labels (A&M and Epitaph were mentioned as being potentially good) about signing them. We have no even played a gig yet. A legitimate one, I should say. We have not written a new song in a while. Well, I've been working on a few things, but nothing's been solidified. Not to boast, but I'm by far the best musician and writer in this band. That's because I've been playing all instruments more than twice as long as them, and understand theory and have experience. They think that making it big in the music world is as simple as getting one gig, or emailing a label and getting a deal.

I am more realistic. I know that it's not that simple. And I've told them on many occasions if we keep practicing abit, get some really great songs together, do a good recording of a demo or whatever, then we can start getting places. Looking for venues, promoting through posters and the internet, and if that goes smoothly, we could make our own CD's and merch (I know how, on a very small scale) Basically, a local band. Even that's oversimplified and pushing our chances. But that's a realistic dream, I think.

Anyway, my point is, how do I let these guys know we're not ready, and that's it's a lot harder than they think, and it takes dedication. As in, playing 5 songs then doing something else is not going to cut it. They don't really like playing for the fun of it, I guess. They just hope to get something out of it. So, how do I tell them to take it down a notch?

EDIT: I should also add, our sound is currently all over the place. We haven't settled into on niche, not that it's a bad thing. It's just we go from a metal song to an acoustic pop song to a folky thing into an avant garde free jazz jam abit too rapidly, therefore it'd be hard for us to garner an audience, outside of a few people. That's also why it'd be harder to get a deal or gig. Unless we switch our style to fit the criteria that's required. As the head songwriter, I suppose I could be called, that's the equivalent of death. I wouldn't mind doing it for a while, but I won't be able to resist the urge to jump into something else. The stuff I'm working on can't really fit into any genre, so I think I'm on the verge of developing a unique sound, but I don't why they think of it, and would rather do whatever to get a gig or label (not that it's going to happen anytime soon)

Sorry for so much damn writing :p:

due 07
02-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Be frank with them. Tell them what you just posted.

TK1
02-21-2011, 01:57 AM
some people get lucky. most dont. I'm good friends with most of the people in a band called Lunar Valve, the leader of which is Siobhan Magnus, who was on American Idol. Even they, with all the publicity from Siobhan, are having trouble getting recognition from labels.

point is, sure youre bandmates are dreaming big. as long as it doesnt interfere with the actual band playing and writing, then let em. maybe you'll get lucky. but till then try and focus on writing and gigging and then you'll have a better chance.

IommiPage
02-21-2011, 02:37 AM
point is, sure youre bandmates are dreaming big. as long as it doesnt interfere with the actual band playing and writing, then let em. maybe you'll get lucky. but till then try and focus on writing and gigging and then you'll have a better chance.

This is what it's becoming. They've always had high hopes, and that's cool, what band doesn't? It's just that now they're spending time figuring out how to get big, and not how they're going to get there step by step. I wrote a lot of the music, like I said, because they think that a song can be written in 2 minutes and it's done. One riff is all that's needed, and some stupid lyrics over top. For them it's skip the writing, or half ass the writing, than bask in the glory. I know I'm taking a shot at their writing, but it's just there's nothing put into it. Some good songs could come out of it, yeah no doubt, but they think every song they write is good enough to be heard by all. They talk about gigging, but don't even practice much. I know where and how to get gigs, but refrain from taking it seriously because, well, we're not ready. They've all been playing they're instruments for, about half a year seriously, and on and off about a year prior to that. I've been playing guitar, bass, drums, and piano for about 6 years each now. And I attempted to sing throughout all that, but it's still not great :p: Anyway, my point is, I don't think they realize what's got to go in to it for them to take anything out of it, and I want to tell them that without coming off as a dick and like I think they suck (which, in a way I do, but really, if they practiced their asses of, I think we could be fucking amazing.

Sorry for long ass post again :p:

Myshadow46_2
02-21-2011, 09:33 AM
I'd find a new band, it's obvious that you view the band differently to the others and if they don't want to put the hard work in then they are just holding you back. There is very little else you can do to change their minds, especially as they are the majority and you are the minority.

Deltast0rm
02-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I had the exact same issue in my old band, being the best musician in the band and watching everyone else get way ahead of themselves infuriated me.

So I left, problem solved. Maybe that might not be the best course of action for you, but it certainly helped me. :)

pandora_grunt
02-21-2011, 11:40 AM
There are several ways to go from here.

1) Be honest with them and tell them what is up. Or rather, tell them how you feel. Often communication can clear the air a lot.

2) Dream big yourself. Sure the writing music is important, but so is enthusiasm. Help them find ways that can promote your band like they want to, but doing it step by step. This way you'll grow closer together as a band, all sharing the same spirit of wanting to get there and possibly cutting some corners if you get lucky. The thing is, if you can get talking about every fun aspect, you might get them interested in the songs again.

Cause once you have to deliver, the pressure is on.

HalfDose
02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
1. T-shirt design - Check
2. Cool photos - Check
3. CD "Thank You" list - Check
4. "Rocker" look - Double Check
5. Write some songs - Eh, we'll get to that later
6. Great Success

IommiPage
02-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Quitting isn't an option. I like playing with these guys when we do, and they're really the only band I could get together. We're all really close as well. I talked to one of the members, he admitted they were going abit overboard.

But now another member actually got in personal contact with someone who works at Universal or A&M, and he said to send a demo tape to him in Italy, and he'll see what he can do. The guy seems somewhat legit, I'm not sure if I trust him 100%, as I've never directly spoken to him, but it might be worth a shot. They're also seriously considering Epitaph. Just when I was getting to them, this happens :p: They haven't even really considered appearance either, just getting a label. Very one-track minds.

Because they contacted all these labels without a demo tape, they've basically harassed a bunch for no reason. Now we have a deadline. We need a good demo tape by the end of this week. That's unwanted pressure on me, as I have to write and record it all. Even then, the chances of them saying "yes" to us when we haven't even played a ****ing gig are slim I think. I dunno, maybe I just think it's a lot harder than it really is. Sorry for the rant, but I really need something to show them we need to work harder.

AlanHB
02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Whenever this happens I'm enthusiastic too, so I mention we should check out the competition.

Then all of you guys see one of the top local bands in the area, and compare how you rack up. Generally the established band is completely awesome and makes for a great night, but you also see where you need to work on things with your band.

But I also see your frustration, you guys haven't even played a proper gig yet, and it doesn't sound like you have enough songs to do so if you tried. Make a goal to get to 10 original songs and get some gigs around. If you need some pointers getting gigs, I believe Axemanchris knows a lot about the Toronto/Hamilton music scene and where most bands start out.

IommiPage
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
^ Oh we have enough songs, at least 50. It's just only 5 of them are decent, and I want to work on new songs that I can really be proud of, and want to show other people. Only problem is I'm the only one willing to put enough input it to make a decent song.

Cowless
02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Wait, your bandmates decided it would be good idea to write a few good songs (or have you write them), not gig on them (which would have improved them greatly), and then try to contact labels? Has that worked for anyone, ever?

Dude... how young are these people? Because they're acting like kids.

IommiPage
02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Well, they want to gig, they talk about it alot. They just haven't taken the time to look for one. I know a couple of places, but don't want to do anything because I feel we're not ready yet. I don't think they realise how much has to be put into it, and that in a few e-mails they'll be rockstars, which I don't think is how it works.

axemanchris
02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Well... here's a context for you:

From Universal (who OWNS A&M):

"Unfortunately, Universal Music Group does not accept unsolicited material. Your material must be recommended to one of our labels' A&R departments by a well-known manager, agent, producer, radio DJ or other music industry professional."

From Epitaph:

"to be honest weve already got more than we can listen to and the giant pile of them in the mailroom isnt exactly what wed call enticing."

.... though they will allow you to send them...

Some divisions of A&M will accept demos.

In short, here is what you're up against:

The record industry is in crisis. Fewer and fewer bands actually make enough money to make it worth the labels' while. The labels, though, continue to bet on the ponies. They'll wager on a few that they think have promise, and most of them don't win. Every now and again, they'll get a Nickelback or an Eminem or a Taylor Swift that will make it all seem worthwhile, and will allow them to bet on a few more losing ponies.

As an A+R person, as long as you win every now and again, and your winnings are greater than your losses, you get to keep your job. If you have a losing track record... well... there's always a job for you in the mail room or the coffee kiosk, I suppose.

Now, every gambler knows that it's silly to bet on *anything* unless you *really* think it has a chance of being a winning pony. When your job is on the line, you don't just close your eyes and circle one with no track record.

Here's another post I did a while back on a similar topic:

For the labels, and even to the clubs, it is all about draw. How much can you sell?

Let's see.... A year on MySpace says:
-each song gets played between once and twice per day on average.
-you get one new friend every three or four days
-less than 1/3 of the people who visit your site actually listen to anything.
-you've got no "proper" website
-you've got a few shows lined up (not many), but you've got no indication of any sort of touring.
-you've got nothing for sale

If I'm a label rep, I'm looking at you, and then looking at someone like Hawksley Workman:
-currently on indie label
-330 000 views
-proper website
-currently 20 shows booked across Canada, from coast to coast.
-380 000 plays, with 175 today alone
-11 000 friends
-currently has multiple CDs for sale.

Or Dave Carroll...
-unsigned
-150 000+ views
-75 000 plays
-songs and albums available for purchase
-some "proper" videos
-a YouTube video with almost 8 Million views
-currently touring from New York city to Nova Scotia to the UK.

Which of these bands is making the least amount of money for themselves and showing the least amount of commitment to their craft?

Out of these three bands, which would you be the least likely to sign, because they're going to be the hardest one to get out to the marketplace and make money from?

(notice how the relative quality of the music isn't even part of my consideration so far....)

You need to get a proper album done, and you need to get out promoting it. The labels want to know that YOU are the horse they want to bet hundreds of thousands of dollars on. They want to make that money back, first and foremost, and in the end, they would like to make some for you and some for them as well.

One of my favourite stories is the Barenaked Ladies. They released an indie cassette in probably '88. It went certified GOLD in Canada (50 000) copies, without the help of a label. They were the hottest band touring Campuses across Canada. The labels recognized the potential for an easy cash-grab and jumped on the train.

Nobody wants to take chances anymore. It's very, very rare.

Lisa Loeb had the #1 song on Billboards Hot 100 as an indie artist. Yeah, you grab one great song by a complete nobody and it can take off, but wow... those don't come along every day. She got scooped up by RCA just like *that*.

CT

IommiPage
02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
^ Hey, thanks for that man. I think I'll show it to them and hopefully it'll put things in perspective.

Also, one of our band members has been talking to a supposed A&R guy through Facebook.
Apparently, they googled "people who work at A&R" and somehow found him. His employers say Universal and A&R, and he lives in Italy. He wanted a band bio, and for us to send a demo to him, and he said he'd see what he can do. I've seen these messages. I'm just curious if this guy could be legit, because I'm not sure.

AlanHB
02-22-2011, 07:24 AM
^ Oh we have enough songs, at least 50. It's just only 5 of them are decent, and I want to work on new songs that I can really be proud of, and want to show other people. Only problem is I'm the only one willing to put enough input it to make a decent song.

Wow, are they full songs with lyrics, structure and such? Completely polished?

Are you an originals band?

If you answered "yes" to both of those that's a pretty amazing achievement, more than any original band I've played with.

Northernmight
02-22-2011, 02:24 PM
gigging is of course preferred, but personally i enjoy and know alot of recording-projects that gets labels. You don't HAVE to be gigging, just be good at making music, really.

Anyway, just tell them straight out that you are not good enough yet, and that you should wait with sending around promos till you have actually made songs that you feel are good enough to be sent out on a good label. It is important to be your own toughest critic to evolve faster and produce the highest quality of music that you are able to!

IommiPage
02-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Haha, thanks. Yeah, songwriting comes really easy to me. The only problem is I don't feel most of them are very good, and would like time to work on them.

Also, apparently the guy I mentioned early (A&R guy) doesn't work for them specifically anymore, I think he works for Universal. But if he does, he's making coffee or something :p: Still, he's been giving us good feedback. The same band member who found that guy has somehow come in to personal contact with an Atlantic person and another A&R person. I have no clue how the **** she is doing it, but she is. She apparently sent them a link to our Youtube channel, with almost all our recorded songs (there's about 40 songs on there, I only still really like about 5 of them, and even then, the recording quality isn't great, and they were done in a rush.) Apparently, Atlantic wants us to send them a 4-song demo, and A&R wants a 6-song demo.

This is really confusing to me, because the band is not in direct contact with these people, the person talking to them is like a 5th member, but not exactly. She's been texting me what they're saying, and I've been telling some of it to my brother (bandmate). They're both looking at me to come up with 6 songs by the end of this week :p: This thing is really unorganized, I didn't think people at these labels actually had time to personally e-mail someone back... and then the information is filtered through this 5th member, to me, to my brother/bandmate, then he'll probably tell the other two guys. So... any ideas on how to control this? I mean, is this possibly legit? Everytime I try to tell them to calm their imaginations down and get down to doing some work, shit like this comes up and I have the same problem again.

I apolgize for the walls of text, I'm kind of venting now. But does any have any idea what this could mean?

Tempoe
02-22-2011, 05:14 PM
One of my favourite stories is the Barenaked Ladies. They released an indie cassette in probably '88. It went certified GOLD in Canada (50 000) copies, without the help of a label. They were the hottest band touring Campuses across Canada. The labels recognized the potential for an easy cash-grab and jumped on the train.

I remember them back then actually. Their really big break came however when there was a free concert held at City Hall in Toronto and there was a bunch of women protesting their name after the show was announced, no one had really heard of them, but the national news picked it up and they got huge free promotion. I think they actually used the name "The Ladies" for the show. I vaguely remember seeing them for a second playing that show as I was wandering around. Also, Canadian radio picked them up after that for more required Canadian content. Otherwise I really doubt they would have gotten signed, but who knows.

AlanHB
02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Haha, thanks. Yeah, songwriting comes really easy to me. The only problem is I don't feel most of them are very good, and would like time to work on them.

Also, apparently the guy I mentioned early (A&R guy) doesn't work for them specifically anymore, I think he works for Universal. But if he does, he's making coffee or something :p: Still, he's been giving us good feedback. The same band member who found that guy has somehow come in to personal contact with an Atlantic person and another A&R person. I have no clue how the **** she is doing it, but she is. She apparently sent them a link to our Youtube channel, with almost all our recorded songs (there's about 40 songs on there, I only still really like about 5 of them, and even then, the recording quality isn't great, and they were done in a rush.) Apparently, Atlantic wants us to send them a 4-song demo, and A&R wants a 6-song demo.

This is really confusing to me, because the band is not in direct contact with these people, the person talking to them is like a 5th member, but not exactly. She's been texting me what they're saying, and I've been telling some of it to my brother (bandmate). They're both looking at me to come up with 6 songs by the end of this week :p: This thing is really unorganized, I didn't think people at these labels actually had time to personally e-mail someone back... and then the information is filtered through this 5th member, to me, to my brother/bandmate, then he'll probably tell the other two guys. So... any ideas on how to control this? I mean, is this possibly legit? Everytime I try to tell them to calm their imaginations down and get down to doing some work, shit like this comes up and I have the same problem again.

I apolgize for the walls of text, I'm kind of venting now. But does any have any idea what this could mean?

It sounds too good to be true, whatever it is that's happening. I would definately raise an eyebrow here. I mean, why would a record company want to sign or even play with the idea of signing a band that can't even play a full gig yet?

Have you seen the actual emails? Why is this girl doing this when she's not in the band?

I will predict at some point that they'll ask for money at which point it reveals itself to be a scam.

axemanchris
02-22-2011, 09:43 PM
It's always a combination of factors that lead to that "indie release going gold" or similar phenomena. Same with Lisa Loeb. It sure helped that she landed the song in a movie soundtrack.

The point is, these artists are doing what it takes to hustle and get their product out there to the ears of people, and proving themselves as marketable commodities and guaranteed money-makers. It doesn't really matter HOW they do it. It just matters that they do it.

CT

IommiPage
02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
It sounds too good to be true, whatever it is that's happening. I would definately raise an eyebrow here. I mean, why would a record company want to sign or even play with the idea of signing a band that can't even play a full gig yet?

Have you seen the actual emails? Why is this girl doing this when she's not in the band?

I will predict at some point that they'll ask for money at which point it reveals itself to be a scam.
That's what I was sort of thinking. And I don't think she mentioned we haven't played any gigs yet :p:

I have seen the messages from the one ex-A&R guy in Italy, but he's not really important anymore, he's just providing feedback. I have not seen these e-mails from the two recently mentioned ones (the new A&R person and the Atlantic guy), and am still questioning them. I think I'll ask her to forward them to me. She's a close friend of the band, and sister to one member. She just hangs out with us alot. Anyway, don't want to go off-topic.

Of course if something like that comes up, we're not going to believe it.

EDIT: Alright, I asked her to send me the messages between her and these people. Here's what I got:

A&M RECORDS!
Hello,
I know lots of people working for the commerce of cds.
I will listen to the demo if you send it here at my address.
Remember that I live in Italy, so maybe I could make it listen to the responsables that work here in Rome.

My add is:

Andrea (I'm taking the last name out)
(And the address)
Rome (and postal code)
Italy

Send a cd and the story of the band. I'll make for sure the best I can.

ATLANTIC RECORDS!

Yea i need to hear what they sound like, tag me or send me a link of the band. I need to hear 4 songs for their demo.

Obviously, parts have been omitted. The first guy is the one I know for sure is real. I've seen their entire conversation (well, most of it. They continued to talk after that), so I know there's more to that. She also mentioned a second A&M person she got in contact with. And obviously stuff has been omitted from the Atlantic conversation. Not to mention the writing doesn't look professional exactly. She may have gotten that e-mail address from the website, like she did with many others, but I don't know for sure. I texted her very seriously to send me everything she has: every word of every conversation, every e-mail address she's messaged, (or FB, like the first guy, who we/she definetly got in touch with personally).

I realise this is becoming more of a place to document what the heck is exactly going on for myself, so sorry about that :p: And if anyone has any insight, or opinions on what the hell is going on, I'd be incredibly glad to hear it.

shortyafter
02-23-2011, 01:24 AM
How old is the girl that is giving you this information? I have a bad feeling that she may be looking in the wrong places or not telling you the whole truth about what's going on. The important thing is to ask how exactly she is finding these people.

IommiPage
02-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Well, when she, along with two other band members, went on their e-mail frenzy, they did it through label websites, and basically e-mailed every address they could find. She said she found the Italian guy by googling "people who work at A&M" or something like that, the proper search is somewhere in this thread. She ended up finding his Facebook, then began talking to him through that. He works for Universal now, but used to work for A&M which makes sense because Universal bought A&M. I don't know his position exactly, but it's not that important. But this guy's been cool, providing critique and giving us an idea of what we should do. That's not the problem anymore.

I do not know how she came in to contact with the supposed Atlantic guy or new A&M person. They might have responded to her e-mails on the websites themselves, but I don't know. I'll try to talk to her tomorrow, as she's not replying to my texts right now, she's probably asleep or something. Like I said, I sent her a serious text demanding she send me everything that's been going back and forth between her and all these people.

Also, I don't think she's lying :p: I know it might seem like that, but she might have just been lazy when sending that e-mail to me, or just thought I wanted some of it. But there's obviously alot going on that I'm not informed about, and this current system where information is being passed through a whole slew of people (other band members and such), and I really just need it all laid out, because it's being blown way out of proportion.

AlanHB
02-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Interesting that they'd show interest without even hearing the band. If all this stuff is happening over facebook, they're probably just being nice and will give feedback.

spock10194
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
See if you can transfer direct contact to yourself

the_who
02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
How old are you guys? Don't mean to sound rude but this is crazy. If you're that curious about it (and they were interested in you, get their contact information and call them.
The guys in your band seem to think about the business side of things and a quick fix. News flash: if you're not good enough it doesn't matter...you won't get anywhere. I agree with what was said here before: Get your crap together, get some gigs, build an actual following so other people will take interest. If you are good enough they will come. Prove yourself instead of wasting time sitting on the internet.

IommiPage
02-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Alright, she showed me her Facebook messages, were she's been talking to all these people (there's a few more than she mentioned). The only similarity is that they all had these labels listed as employers, which is how she found them personally I guess, and why they kept responding. It wasn't through any labels, it was all through Facebook. I don't she realized this, but the she talked to people who were interns for them a while ago, people who used to work there (pouring coffee or something), an actual artist signing to Atlantic, and this indy band who's frontman worked for A&R for abit. So, basically nobody with enough power to hand out deals. She misinterpreted alot of the things that were said, and that's what caused so much confusion.

Alot of these people were really cool and tried to be helpful, and patient, even when it was clearly evident she had no idea what she was talking about or getting herself into. They provided advice and tips, and listened to some of our stuff on Youtube. So, we've got this all figured out :) I think I'll show the rest of the band all these messages (I saved all of them), and show them to the rest of the band. Alot of these guys were saying stuff along the lines of I was trying to tell them (we can do it ourselves, try and get gigs, get out music out on the internet more, basically go DIY) and they thought I was just being pessimistic when saying these things, but maybe they'll take it abit more seriously from these guys. We're still going to record a demo, and send it to these labels, just to finish what we started.

Thanks UG :cheers:

AlanHB
02-24-2011, 12:01 AM
We're still going to record a demo, and send it to these labels, just to finish what we started.

Thanks UG :cheers:

Well it's good all that wrapped up (or whatever happened).

It's still a good thing to go out and check out the big local bands in the area. A popular band here in Canberra would attract 200-300 people per gig, and still weren't signed (and never were signed in fact). Could your band do that? Well, no, you don't even play gigs yet :P

Record that demo, and while you're at it hand it out to some local venues in the area to try to get gigs. Well, do that when you have enough songs to play a gig anyways.

And I still highly encourage you guys to go out and check out the big local bands in your area. They're big for a reason, and you should compare your own band against them as they are your direct competition in the area.

IommiPage
02-24-2011, 12:11 AM
^The only local venues I know of are 4 small bars. I've seen a small number of bands there, but they're mostly older guys who just get together once in a while to play a couple of classic rock covers, no real music scene. I guess there is downtown, which is about a 45 minute bus ride away, but even then, shows would be going on later at night, and I still have no idea where I would find them :p: Even then, that's a step-up from what we're doing, I think.

So competition is my local area = cover bands playing "Sweet Home Alabama", to my knowledge. I'm sure there's other places near me, that I don't know about.

AlanHB
02-24-2011, 12:19 AM
^The only local venues I know of are 4 small bars. I've seen a small number of bands there, but they're mostly older guys who just get together once in a while to play a couple of classic rock covers, no real music scene. I guess there is downtown, which is about a 45 minute bus ride away, but even then, shows would be going on later at night, and I still have no idea where I would find them :p: Even then, that's a step-up from what we're doing, I think.

So competition is my local area = cover bands playing "Sweet Home Alabama", to my knowledge. I'm sure there's other places near me, that I don't know about.

You don't seem to know much about your local music scene. It's time you guys learnt if you want to get signed eventually. If you want some more specific tips, Axemanchris is on these boards, he can point you in the right direction for starting out in Toronto.

IommiPage
02-24-2011, 12:26 AM
^ Alright, thanks :cheers:

axemanchris
02-24-2011, 08:26 AM
And I still highly encourage you guys to go out and check out the big local bands in your area. They're big for a reason, and you should compare your own band against them as they are your direct competition in the area.

... and as soon as you have aspirations of getting signed, I highly encourage you to go and check out the big bands on the planet. They're big for a reason, and you should compare your own band against them as they are going to be your direct competition.

That's right. If you have aspirations on getting signed, the A+R people at the label who are going to be supporting you need to know that your product can sit on a shelf beside Green Day, Nickelback and Justin Bieber and still sell enough units to make it worth their while.

CT

axemanchris
02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
^The only local venues I know of are 4 small bars.

Whaaa?!

You're in a city of about 3 million people! Toronto (along with Vancouver) is the music capital of Canada.

There are at least four *legendary* clubs in Toronto, never mind all those little clubs that book the old guys playing Sweet Home Alabama. Let's see... Horseshoe, El Mocambo, Gasworks, Phoenix, Lee's Palace, and the Rivoli have been around for decades and have histories rich with bands like The Stones, The Police, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. Geez, anybody who is anybody who has ever played in Toronto has played at one of those clubs. Then there are other places that are also well-established and routinely book recording acts, such as Kool Haus (saw Collective Soul, Harem Scarem, etc. there), Palais Royale (Sloan recorded their live album there), Mod Club, etc.

A quick google search came up with this site:

http://www.clubzone.com/c1/Toronto/p2/Live_Music_Venue.html

Check out the local entertainment mags - Eye weekly, Exclaim, Now, etc. That's a good starting point for what's out there and who is doing what.

Stilllepost.ca used to be a good message board/forum, but it's defunct and I'm not sure if anything has really stepped in to take its place. Look around, though, for other indie music message boards yourself. You're bound to find something.

CT

IommiPage
02-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Maybe I should rephrase that. Those are the only venues I know of in my current area, and that we be able to actually play at. Out of the venues you mentioned, I've seen bands at the Kool Haus, Phoenix, and I'm pretty sure Horseshoe. But for a band starting out, those are abit of a step up.

I'm not surprised the downtown area has a booming music scene, but I don't think we'll be ready to get beyond our little suburb anytime soon.

EDIT: Do you anything about music in the Scarborough area?

AlanHB
02-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Maybe I should rephrase that. Those are the only venues I know of in my current area, and that we be able to actually play at. Out of the venues you mentioned, I've seen bands at the Kool Haus, Phoenix, and I'm pretty sure Horseshoe. But for a band starting out, those are abit of a step up.

So you're not afraid to contact/talk to music reps, but you don't want to perform outside of a 10km radius of where you live.

IommiPage
02-24-2011, 09:12 PM
I meant small venues, for a band who's just starting out. I guess any small venue that would take new bands is good enough for us. The venues that were mentioned are slightly bigger, for bands with decent followings, not us.

smokeysteve22
02-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Post hardcore band, woe is me was signed before they played a single gig but some of their members we're out of signed bands before.

AlanHB
02-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Post hardcore band, woe is me was signed before they played a single gig but some of their members we're out of signed bands before.

Justin Bieber was also signed before playing a gig. But for now lets focus on the norm, not the exceptions. The vast majority of bands who are signed already have some sort of following before they are signed. That way there is already a fan base for the record company to make money from. The best way to build such a fan base is to play gigs.

I meant small venues, for a band who's just starting out. I guess any small venue that would take new bands is good enough for us. The venues that were mentioned are slightly bigger, for bands with decent followings, not us.

The city where you live, it's 6 times the city I live in. There are a large number of places where I live for bands just starting out. I can safely assume that where you live, there would be more than me. The only difference is that I know where mine are, and you haven't really looked into yours yet.

Check out local bands, see how they go, ask them after how they got their start.

axemanchris
02-24-2011, 11:28 PM

But Alan's sentiment still rings true. One one hand, your band is looking to go to the big leagues and compete with Green Day, Nickelback and Justin Bieber, but on the other hand, you're not ready to play the Horseshoe?

I really think you have a realistic perspective yourself about your band and where you are at. Your band, on the other hand, really needs a reality check.

CT