What do you think of my riffs?

PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my riffs?

ProgThrash
02-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Here's a metal improv that ended up sounding decent. Its my first proper composition, so i would like to hear some opinions. Id like to know what music style this sounds like and most importantly are there already a riffs like this?

EDIT:by the way, im not so good with guitar pro, so there might be some flaws on the tabbing. It could also be played with downtuning.

NEW full song is now here, especially the guitar solo is really crappy, and the chorus riffs were improvised very quickly so they will probaply sound awful, too. So, what do you think of it, my first composition?

Kalo Hanaka
02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Hm... My advice, work this out into an actual song! I think it could be nice. Maybe change the chord/bass note being used from time to time?

ProgThrash
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Changing the bass note is a good idea. Ill work on it and post the whole song later, okay?

Kalo Hanaka
02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Alright then, you do that! Good luck on it! Try using another tuning too, like, down a half step, or down 2 steps. I thought both sounded good.

jonpguitar01
02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Sounds pretty good, apart from guitar pro's unrealistic sounds.
Maybe repeat the intro a bit more for a more intense atmosphere, if that's what your looking for.

I also agree with Mr. Feather, a scream would sound great.

Mr.Feather
02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I particularly like the second one, and I think the third would go great with some vocals over the top. Kataklysm-style screams are what I'm imagining.

I agree with the others that it'd sound great in a lower tuning - my vote goes to C standard.

ProgThrash
02-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks, Ill tune i down. I have improvised a proper chorus riff, too. hope ill get it done soon.

guitar/bass95
02-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Sounds cool, i think. Im not really an expert or anything but i think it sounded pretty good.

andras67
02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I think it sounds good, it have a very dark, deep atmosphere, in my opinion sounds better in half step down than in 2 steps down, also I can imagine with screming vocals, it would be pretty heavy stuff, maybe only improving a little more the solo

Life Is Brutal
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Someone had their Chromatic-O Brand Cereal this morning. :haha:

Good stuff, although Im not particularly well versed in this style, so I can't give much feedback.

ProgThrash
02-22-2011, 03:13 AM
I didnt really give much effort to the solo. I just put something in there so it wouldnt sound stupid. im of course going to improve it.

Kirborg
02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
for a first song it's good i guess, but on its own the riffs are really generic.

Mean Mr Mustard
02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
okay first of all, well you obviously need a drum track. While listening to it, I thought that it sounded a bit boring and it was hard too interpret without something keeping beat, so I wrote in very simple drum parts so that I could get an idea of how it would sound. So I guess I can upload it, and if you like it then you can keep it or change my ideas around a bit.

Now first off, I think that what you need to do is to get rid of the repeats. Im not talking about how a riff will repeat 2 times in the same song. Im talking more about when you use the repeat signs. I dont think I ever use them, because honestly, it gets boring hearing the same thing repeat 4 times. This leaves no room for changing it. If you play it 4 times the same way, there cant be any drum fills over any endings, so its harder to write. If you get into the habit of writing it out, then you will be more prone to changing things up a bit.

Next, it helps to add markers. This doesnt only help other people understand what youre trying to do better, but it helps you plan out your song and see its structure. So, I kinda labeled it a bit for you haha. However, Ill say that its a very nice and common song structure that you have for the most part.

The riffs themselves are okay, but the transition to the guitar solo was off. I wasnt a huge fan of the solo itself, but you said youd change it. However, I think the tempo change was sudden and shouldnt be there.

Also, the outro. It needed one. The last part there worked fine as an outro, but it should resolve to some chord or something. Ive thrown in an idea to the tab that Im about to post. Overall, you have some good ideas, but i feel like its the type of song where its mroe about vocals? The riffs are fine, you just need a better solo!

Could you look at a song in my sig please?

ProgThrash
02-23-2011, 10:28 AM
of course, ill look at it. sorry, bit late reply.

EDIT: and by the way this was never meant to be treated like ann actual working song. just some riffs put together. Of course that isnt the final version.

patrickaumon
02-23-2011, 10:51 AM
the bass wasnt even the same tuning as the guitars