Should we keep looking for another guitarist?

PDA

View Full Version : Should we keep looking for another guitarist?

JasperPryce
02-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm in a band with a female singer, a bassist, and a drummer. I play guitar. The others seem desperate for a 5th piece, either a second guitarist or a keyboard player, but we're finding it increasingly hard to find one (which is surprising since guitarists are usually a dime a dozen). Is it worth it to try and find that fifth piece or would we be better off going with what we have now? We're an indie/alternative-ish band.

Edit: We have plenty of material written and are actually playing a benefit show under a different name in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of just getting them as tight as possible for that and seeing if we even need another person afterwards. Good idea maybe?

Reisgar42
02-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Go with what you have now for now. Once you find someone interested, add them in. Simple as that. I assume you wouldn't want to just completely pause on your music until you find another person, that would be ridiculous.

FlyingVExplorer
02-22-2011, 10:03 PM
It really really really depends on the style of music you are playing. Cream worked out just fine as a three piece but Pink Floyd wouldn't have been the same without Richard Wright on keyboards.

katalyzt13
02-22-2011, 10:03 PM
I think indie/alternative sounds best with two guitars or a guitar and keyboard, especially with counter-melodic lines, etc., but if you have something that works then just move forward with it - if you run across a fit down the road, then just bring them into the fold when you encounter them.

HavokStrife
02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Honestly, just as far as playing in a basement, garage, small practice space, or a venue, I think 2 guitarists create more pains in the ass the good things. In a confined space with just the classic four piece, all players are heard (unless their equipment really sucks.), there isn't much feedback and such (again here!), and it's much more audibly accessible for the audience. Throw in the second guitar, now they're both fighting over who's too loud, you got feedback all over the place, you have a much harder time differentiating all of the instruments, and you can barely hear the vocals. It's much easier to hide mistakes and incorporate solos though.

And btw, usually when your bands desperate for a second guitarist, there's something about you they don't like. :P

JasperPryce
02-22-2011, 10:41 PM
They want a second guitarist because they want me to add a lot of 'flowers (solo's, blah blah blah)' over the top of the music. I've been trying to re-adjust my playing to compensate for two guitarists. The singer of our group is a really proficient keyboard player too, so I'm slowly trying to convince her to do both, or at least throw down keys when it's needed over certain places.

FlyingVExplorer
02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Does she have difficulty playing and singing at the same time or is she just less confident about her playing than her singing?

JasperPryce
02-23-2011, 12:07 AM
She doesn't want to stretch herself too thin. I'm thinking of just asking her to play keys over certain parts. Not every part needs keys or even a second guitarist in my opinion.

IommiPage
02-23-2011, 12:39 AM
^That's what you should really do. Especially during extended instrumental sections, she'll have something to do instead of just standing there (unless she's got great stage presence), and it'll make up for the abscense of vocals, which is still an instrument in itself, allowing you to be more free during these parts while she holds down the rhythm and fills the space you leave.

Or you could audition a few guitarists/keyboard players, and if there's one you really hit it off with, go with them, and if not, just do what I mentioned previously.

AlanHB
02-23-2011, 03:42 AM
They want a second guitarist because they want me to add a lot of 'flowers (solo's, blah blah blah)' over the top of the music. I've been trying to re-adjust my playing to compensate for two guitarists.

Yours is the right path. You can make interesting sounding guitar parts without having someone play just the straight chords behind you. Think of, err, any band in the world which has one guitarist.

I wouldn't bother getting an extra member if that's the only argument for it. Often the sound can get messy with two guitarists, especially so if they are inexperienced and don't know how to adjust their parts to interact with eachother.