An Instrumental Prog Rock Song [GP5, C4C]

PDA

View Full Version : An Instrumental Prog Rock Song [GP5, C4C]

deilyte172
02-25-2011, 06:11 AM
Just wrote another prog song... This time it's an instrumental. It's titled "Unholy Reaper". I tried to make it a bit frightening, but please let me know what you think. :)

I've edited the song, tweaked the rhythms a bit and fixed the melody and the solo.

Flibo
02-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Not bad, but I have a feeling that keyboard melody and solo could've been more thought out. They didn't really stand out as much as I would've liked :( On the other hand I like the rhythm tracks, the time signatures felt pretty right and weren't too hard to follow. Plus, tubular bells!

benonbass1
02-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Critting as I listen.

The intro is nice and atmospheric, good use of instrumentation.

Not to keen on when the distortion comes in however, the chugs seem a bit unimaginative.
I feel the same about the riff under the tempo change, it's quite a simple riff for prog, and the 7/8 bar doesn't add much as it cuts the flow.

The melody over the top is alright, it's more atmospheric.

The flute solo is better, as is the riff underneath it, but I feel you could have pushed the boat out a bit more for it.

Overall, the song is a bit short, it seems unfinished. It does remind me a bit of some Dream Theatre stuff, which is a good thing.

It needs a bit of work. I can see what you are trying to do, and with a bit of work, I can see you achieving it :)

Just C4C anything in my sig would be nice cheers.

Shaharz
02-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Intro was great, really emotional and atmospheric, great build up.
Then it kinda goes downhill.

The "Change Tempo" section is pretty boring imo until the melody kicks in at 37, that's a very nice part.

Next riff was ok, not amazing. The flute solo tho wasn't my cup of tea. There are some decent ideas in there but nothing that would make me wanna listen to it again.
It did create that dreadful atmosphere you where aiming it, but it didn't seem to fit enough. Maybe if the riff under it would be better, the solo would feel more right.

Improve your riffs and the flute solo (if needed), and of course continue the song cause it's got tons of potential and finishing it there is just a waste.

deilyte172
02-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Not to keen on when the distortion comes in however, the chugs seem a bit unimaginative.
I feel the same about the riff under the tempo change, it's quite a simple riff for prog, and the 7/8 bar doesn't add much as it cuts the flow.

Well, before the tempo change part, I was just copying the triangle rhythm at the very beginning for the chugs. Yeah but maybe it does need some improvement.

Next riff was ok, not amazing. The flute solo tho wasn't my cup of tea. There are some decent ideas in there but nothing that would make me wanna listen to it again.
It did create that dreadful atmosphere you where aiming it, but it didn't seem to fit enough. Maybe if the riff under it would be better, the solo would feel more right.

Maybe it's because I used E Phrygian... Well I'll try changing it into E Minor...

Right, thanks for the crit. :D