Should I quit my band or not?

PDA

View Full Version : Should I quit my band or not?

Lucas Bundy MAN
02-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Okay, so this is gonna be a pretty long story. I love music more than I can describe and I really want to play it for a living or atleast do something of that nature. My local scene is literally nothing but metal and all of the different subgenres. I used to be really big into it a couple years ago but I'm not anymore. So, I'm in this band right now and they're very serious about it and they're good musicians. But we're playing metal and my heart really isn't into it. I love playing any kind of music but I'm just not feeling this. They're all quit a bit older than me and I'm still in high school. The oldest member is 26. I've been thinking about quiting for a really long time but I would just feel like I was letting everyone else down if I did. We signed a studio contract for about 7,000 USD and haven't even got to record anything yet. They all say they have the same passion and desire that I have and they are all very very good friends of mine. But I really just don't wanna play this style anymore. But one thing about quiting is I really like to play and at the moment I don't have anywhere to go other than that.

TL;DR- I want to quit my band because I don't like the style but I don't have anyone else to play with and I would feel like I was a disappointment to all the other members.

vIsIbleNoIsE
02-26-2011, 10:14 PM
you'd be doing them a favor by quitting sooner rather than later, so do it if you can't see yourself really enjoying it later on. be sure to tell them that (though with more tactful wording).

Unicorns
02-26-2011, 10:19 PM
If they are really good friends then being honest with them about how you feel with what you're playing shouldn't be a huge problem, and they will probably understand.

asmithgdci
02-26-2011, 10:22 PM
You could maybe suggest leaning more to a different genre or taking a different approach while still keeping everyone satisfied. Like Megadeth, they had albums like Killing Is My Business which is fairly heavy but then they had albums like Cryptic Writings, which has a more pop approach.

Demonikk
02-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Honestly, I don't see the point being a part of something your heart isn't in
Explore your music scene in depth, put up ads here and there like in your local guitar shop or at local live music venues, I can't believe there aren't at least a couple of like-minded musicians in your area :)
Find some local bands similar to the genre you're into, get in touch or head down to their gigs and get talking.

As for your current band, let them know you plan on leaving, but agree to hang around until they can find a suitable replacement etc. Maybe try to play on the record so you have some sort of reference for the future, but just let them know you're not feeling the music any more and feel you can't actively contribute enough to make it worth their while.

Best of luck finding some new people to jam with buddy

baf250
02-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Like others said, suggest taking different approaches to the music, Megadeth style. If that doesn't work and you really cant see any room for compromise, quit the band. Don't kid yourself. I did the same thing, and it took a year but I finally found other people with similar musical interests.

AlanHB
02-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Yes quit if you're not enjoying it sure.

But what's the deal with having a record deal and nothing to record? Don't you have songs already? Also, will leaving affect the record contract? Will you be left with debt as a result?

Cowless
02-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Yes quit if you're not enjoying it sure.

But what's the deal with having a record deal and nothing to record? Don't you have songs already? Also, will leaving affect the record contract? Will you be left with debt as a result?

He said they haven't recorded anything, not that they didn't have anything to record. I had to read it a few times to decipher it, though. :haha:

OP, I'm curious what you're in to, just to see if that and metal are so irreconcilable.

SlackerBabbath
02-27-2011, 05:41 AM
Yeah, it's the first rule of music, if you ain't enjoying yourself, there's no point in doing it.

jrakus
02-27-2011, 05:49 AM
start a side project. Find some people to play just for fun. Looks like you got a good band thing going on. Tell them what you feel and keep playing with them till they find a replacement. By that time your new project will be up and running so you will never stop playing.

krypticguitar87
02-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Yeah, it's the first rule of music, if you ain't enjoying yourself, there's no point in doing it.
^ This ^

fc89konkari
02-27-2011, 06:05 AM
side project.

OR

Be Megadeth and write Cryptic Writings. If that doesnt satisfy you then quit, but dont be Marty Friedman and become some Japenese pop kid.

Dani Host
02-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Consider relocation?
If you are into Cuban music but live in Stockholm and all you see around is Swedish Death Metal and Electronic Pop , chances are you will never find your way there...(just a silly example)

AlanHB
02-27-2011, 07:09 AM
He said they haven't recorded anything, not that they didn't have anything to record. I had to read it a few times to decipher it, though. :haha:

But if he leaves, does that leave the band in debt $7000? That's the bigger issue.

Cowless
02-27-2011, 04:49 PM
But if he leaves, does that leave the band in debt $7000? That's the bigger issue.

It's possible, but maybe the record company or whoever is giving the contract will allow them to find another member. He'd probably have to ask the company itself if he's vital to the deal.

OP, enlighten us please.

AlanHB
02-27-2011, 09:35 PM
It's possible, but maybe the record company or whoever is giving the contract will allow them to find another member. He'd probably have to ask the company itself if he's vital to the deal.

It's also important whether;

1. He's received any money so far. If he has, it's better to stick around and record the album, then quit.

2. If he leaves, whether that will hinder the band's progress to keep up their side of the bargain. If it does, it's better to stick around and record the album, then quit.

3. Any other terms of the contract to which he is obligated. Example: Promotion.

Look at the contract TS, did you sign it? Is it valid? What are you obligated to do?

Cowless
02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
It's also important whether;

1. He's received any money so far. If he has, it's better to stick around and record the album, then quit.

2. If he leaves, whether that will hinder the band's progress to keep up their side of the bargain. If it does, it's better to stick around and record the album, then quit.

3. Any other terms of the contract to which he is obligated. Example: Promotion.

Look at the contract TS, did you sign it? Is it valid? What are you obligated to do?

I think he should stick around till the album is done on principle, really. Starting something and then quitting halfway thru is kinda dickish, and he should at least finish up songs he helped write so they can't strip royalties from him like Dave Mustaine lost the royalties for the few songs on Ride the Lightning he wrote.

AlanHB
02-27-2011, 10:26 PM
I think he should stick around till the album is done on principle, really. Starting something and then quitting halfway thru is kinda dickish, and he should at least finish up songs he helped write so they can't strip royalties from him like Dave Mustaine lost the royalties for the few songs on Ride the Lightning he wrote.

Hey you never know, there mayn't be a contract at all.

As for song royalties, yes that is something that should also be considered. Slash lost his performance royalties on "The Spagetti Incident" merely because Axel had another guitarist come in and play his parts.

Natrone
02-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd let the band know where you're at and stick around until they can find someone to replace you. Then just start working your scene trying to find people who are like-minded musicians to you. Best thing you can do is find music friends, try craigslist, and post in music shops.