business or art?

PDA

View Full Version : business or art?

FyreTiger2K
02-27-2011, 01:02 AM
im not sure if its teh right topic but it is related i was reading some of the posts recently on other threads and i just got really worried or at least more worried. there was a thread about dreaming big and about getting a label and i just think wow am i in over my head?

im currently learning guitar and yes this is years away probably but is it enough to play an instrument to be a musician? if i want to be in a band do i nneed to understand everything there is to leading a band even if i dont lead? like the business side?

ive no concept as of yet of teh music industry or how to get gigs or even recording will this all come in time or do i need to make a conscious effort to be involved in everything band related ie. the website the facebook the youtube the money and touring and gigs? its all very daunting :( i feel really small in a overpopulated industry and ive only just begun how can i improove my chances of success?

most importantly i think would to meet others like me who want to make music? i currently have no connections to other musicians or groups :-s

Robbin'TheHood
02-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Learn to play guitar, learn music theory, and you'll meet other musicians. Once you have a band you have to gig in your local area and get popular, record a few demos, and take it from there.

FyreTiger2K
02-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Learn to play guitar, learn music theory, and you'll meet other musicians. Once you have a band you have to gig in your local area and get popular, record a few demos, and take it from there.

i really appreciate the honest straight advice but i am learning guitar and learning theory money is a small issue right now for my lessons but im managing what im trying to say is i have no groups to join or people i know to discuss this with other than idle chat and help like yours here.
i also have no online presence relating to music.. should i set up a youtube account? facebook? i have no social profiles and just go to my lessons every week... how will i meet others? :-s

AlanHB
02-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Creating the music = art

Selling the art = business

Even making it on a local level requires a bit of business know-how. How often do YOU see local bands? What would make you see a local band you haven't heard of? These are questions you should ask yourself.

But that's all in the future, you'll need a band and music to create art to sell first. And before you create that art, you'll need to learn how to. And that means learning guitar.

FyreTiger2K
02-27-2011, 02:40 AM
Creating the music = art

Selling the art = business

Even making it on a local level requires a bit of business know-how. How often do YOU see local bands? What would make you see a local band you haven't heard of? These are questions you should ask yourself.

But that's all in the future, you'll need a band and music to create art to sell first. And before you create that art, you'll need to learn how to. And that means learning guitar.

your right im too eager ive only just started really

'93
02-27-2011, 05:12 AM
yeah slow down there...first get a band and start writing...then think about gigs

Punk_Ninja
02-27-2011, 07:35 AM
I think if you've just started don't get bogged down with that stuff.

Ideally what you want to do before you worry about getting signed or anything, is, learning the guitar, learning some music theory (you dont' really need to learn a whole deal of this if you just want to be like, a guitarist in like a punk band or somethng! But it always helps with writing.) and learning to play with other musicians.

And even then, like if you get a band and get a handful of original songs written, it's still about the art and the fun of it all!
While you need to keep a serious head on you when hunting for gigs, sorting out recording, sending to labels, talking to serous people, etc, the actual music part should always be fun. If you're enjoying it, the people listening/watching will too, if you put a business head on all the time you're going to just be dull as a band!

Either way. I think you're getting a bit over your head, it's good that you're thinking about this stuff early (it's always best to go into these situations with the knowledge than to learn after you've made a critical mess up!) but don't focus on it!

Cowless
02-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I think the take-away here is;

1) Be proactive - work hard writing songs and getting gigs, promoting yourself, etc.

2) Don't worry - if you're gonna make it, so be it. But enjoy your time in the spotlight most of all.

axemanchris
02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
All good advice so far.

But I will add this: Eventually, you will need to have the business end of things nailed down. That doesn't mean you have to do it, though. Just like you surround yourself with people who bring other talents to the table (you can't expect to sing, play guitar, drums, produce, etc. all yourself, can you?), you will eventually need to surround yourself with people who bring the business piece to the table too.

Now, the more indispensable you can make yourself to a band, the more likely you are to be a part of one that gets that far. And if your being indispensable is because *you* are the one that brings the business piece to the table, then that can only be good for you.

CT

Riffman15
02-28-2011, 01:37 PM
The above posts give some good advice.

I don't know how old you are (I'm guessing not that old, early-mid teens perhaps), but let me tell you, yeah, you are WAY ahead of yourself.

If you worry about this stuff now, you're never gonna make it.

You need to have a solid foundation to stand on if you are going to make it in this business. That foundation is your very basic musical abilities and playing chops. You're worried about all the wrong stuff; if you pursue these big boy issues right now you're gonna lose sight of the fact that basic musical skills are necessary before you can pursue all the glamorous aspects, such as playing live, getting chicks, etc.

If you are older than your early to mid-teens, you might consider another career path. This is a tough business, and as the saying goes, sometimes it's just hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Otherwise, practice hard. Start playing with other musicians socially in your highschool for fun and experience that you will implement later. You need to have fun, learn your instrument, and be a kid. When you are in college you will find that you are taken far more seriously by the businessmen. You will also find a party culture that wants to support local bands.

Also, if you are in college I would suggest majoring in music if you are really that serious about becoming a professional musician. This will keep your options open, and you will find other sources of income that wouldn't be available to you if you just gambled on hitting it big in a rock band. Of course, you will need to be classically trained to get accepted to most college music programs.