Chasing Horizons (EP) (GP5, midi) C4C

PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Horizons (EP) (GP5, midi) C4C

BigBigWater
02-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Decided I post all of this as one once and hope it works easier for getting feedback for me.

I HAVE posted moreorless all these songs before. I apologize if it's not allowed for me to post them this way now or whatever, and if so, please do delete this topic.

Anyways, more on this: This is a 6 song (plus an intro, and maybe a 7th/bonus song if I can get it done for no extra price or something, which is possible, haha) EP that I plan to record this summer ideally. It's the first full thing I've written and will be the first thing I ever record.

The sound is very natural and earthy, and for the most part gives (at least me) the feelings I was hoping to create in writing it.

I'm happy with the way that I knew so little in beginning this project and have really learned and grown a bit through just writing this, and it did turn out great as a first work in my opinion. Right now I'm kinda just wanting to record it so I can start writing a follow up already using the things I learned and the countless ideas I have, haha.

I KNOW THE DRUMS ARE BAD. If you are a drummer/good at writing percussion and would care to collaborate, contact me and we can talk. ;o

Also, some songs are still missing bass, I know. Working on it as I type this kinda, haha.

Tracklisting...
1. Africa (1:14) (a strange little intro)
2. Clouds Are But Mountains We Will Climb (2:56) (first song I wrote for this, has a sort of 'story')
3. Scenic (5:35) (one of the last ones I wrote, really happy with how it turned out. Supposed to have a 'driving' feel and be adventurous.)
4. The Great Valley (5:05) (last song I wrote, needs some smoothing out still I think)
5. Downriver (4:01) (Just supposed to have a 'river' sound. *shrug*)
6. A Moment As The Sky (3:49) (Wrote directly after CABMWWC, section before clean bit is to be/needs to be changed real bad, I know EDIT: That damn clean outro wasn't supposed to be in the upload, disregard that.)
7. Sharing Night (5:25) (My personal favorite, love how it turned out.)
8?. Caves (3:06) (This was something I wrote in hopes to break up the mostly upbeat feel throughout, but I'm not exactly sure what I think of it still. Right now my deal is only for 6 songs + intro, so this track very well not be recorded. If it is, it'll probably be a bonus/hidden track or something...)

Thanks for feedback and I'll be glad to crit back on stuff for you. <3

Mean Mr Mustard
02-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Haha wow, whats with the three threads with people posting all their songs as a whole when usually nobody does that? Seriously, I think that to make it more useful, its be sweet to have a file of the entire album, to hear how the songs can segue into each other and whatnot, because that really interests me, and itd get me to listen to a lot more of it. Unless thats impossible because the file will be too big. Oh well.

BigBigWater
02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Haha wow, whats with the three threads with people posting all their songs as a whole when usually nobody does that? Seriously, I think that to make it more useful, its be sweet to have a file of the entire album, to hear how the songs can segue into each other and whatnot, because that really interests me, and itd get me to listen to a lot more of it. Unless thats impossible because the file will be too big. Oh well.
I've wanted to do it but with using a few different tunings and like 8+ tracks at once several times, changing all the instruments and such could be a pain. >_<

Though, I'll be honest and tell you that the songs don't flow the best I don't think from when I listened to it all straight through with the midis in Winamp, unfortunately I wasn't thinking of that at the time when I wrote them all. I tried to arrange them the best I could though. Then again, it could just be midi form, and like I'll most likely try to make stuff 'flow' better by some methods during recording if it really is needed.

Mean Mr Mustard
02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I've wanted to do it but with using a few different tunings and like 8+ tracks at once several times, changing all the instruments and such could be a pain. >_<

Though, I'll be honest and tell you that the songs don't flow the best I don't think from when I listened to it all straight through with the midis in Winamp, unfortunately I wasn't thinking of that at the time when I wrote them all. I tried to arrange them the best I could though. Then again, it could just be midi form, and like I'll most likely try to make stuff 'flow' better by some methods during recording if it really is needed.
Aww yeah, I just think that an album has a lot of potential to improve by making it more cohesive via segues and transitions between the songs. But with different tunings, yeah I can see how it would be hard to do that. I was thinking of my songs where all the tracks are nearly always the same haha sorry

BigBigWater
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Aww yeah, I just think that an album has a lot of potential to improve by making it more cohesive via segues and transitions between the songs. But with different tunings, yeah I can see how it would be hard to do that. I was thinking of my songs where all the tracks are nearly always the same haha sorry
Yeah, I know what you're saying. Making everything fit together better is something I want to do better next time, haha. Like I said in the first post, I'm already extremely eager to start working on a full length that is a lot more cohesive, cause this can feel a bit disjointed. I still feel a need to record it though. ;P

Life Is Brutal
02-27-2011, 10:58 PM
I was also going to mention that there are currently 3 EP or Album threads floating around. :haha:

Great stuff, although I would suggest changing the song order and placing a stronger track than Sharing Night or Caves as the finale. Try CABMWWC or A Moment as the Sky for the finale.

Finish the bass and take the incomplete pieces and finish them. That would help immensely to optimize this album. :haha:

slayerfrk
02-27-2011, 11:26 PM

its annoying when they are all the same songs that have been posted before with *slight* edits also.

BigBigWater
02-27-2011, 11:39 PM
its annoying when they are all the same songs that have been posted before with *slight* edits also.
I apologize sir. I just think that it'll be easier to keep a single topic bumped for feedback and all, sorry to be of annoyance to you though. D=

Mean Mr Mustard
02-27-2011, 11:41 PM
As he said, its easier to keep track of feedback this way...I may actually do it myself when I post a new song