How do I get my band booked?

PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my band booked?

hairsprayqueen
02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey I was wondering if you guys had any tips on getting gigs, or playing festivals etc.
Do I email the venue, or is it better to send in a CD?

Any help is appreciated!

Riffman15
02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Hey I was wondering if you guys had any tips on getting gigs, or playing festivals etc.

Any help is appreciated!

These days, most of your bread and butter gigs will probably be easiest to book online. It used to be that MySpace was the hub for booking, and perhaps still is in many respects, although things may be shifting to facebook or Reverbnation. Looks at the venue's page, and try to find info about how to get booked. Just send them a message that you are interested in booking a show. Make sure you message follows the instructions for getting booked contained on the page.

Most venues will expect you to have at least a decent looking page on your social networking site with sample's of your music.

Again, myspace seems to be dying these days, so check facebook, or reverbnation as well, but I'm pretty sure most businesses and major artists have tried to retain their myspaces.

"Special" shows that offer bigger pay might be better to book the old fashion way.

thejester
02-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Hey I've been doing it for my band(s) for the last two years and its a biotch. The one thing you have to be is persistent. It took me 6months to get into a popular venue that we really wanted to play in California. To be honest the overwhelming majority of booking people I have interacted with are just horrible. So be persistent, make sure they know your name, go down and introduce yourself with the head person, dont waste your time with people that say they are in charge (everyone says they handle it but they generally dont, find out who does). Be professional, dress professional. It's a job in itself. And TAKE A BIGGER CUT OF THE PAY if you are the only one doing it in the band

rocker222
02-28-2011, 10:56 AM
oh make business cards with your bands name on them.

Punk_Ninja
02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
For small venues (i.e bars, pubs, possibly coffee shops) you will probably be able to get gigs by getting in touch with them and getting a demo CD to them. Providing it's not an insanely popular place that is.

Though there's a possibility they'll be a bit weary if you've never gigged before.
What I suggest is to get some free support slots down and maybe go to some open mic style things (the type where there's amps and drums set up, you just grab your instrument and play), get some pictures and footage and put together a bit of a press kit.

To get in at bigger venues what you'll need is a good reputation and a bit of a fanbase/buzz around your band.

lionslicer9999
03-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Reverbnation. If you have decent recordings, set up a profile there, you'll get booking agents messaging you at least 10-20 times a year depending on how well or how many fans you pick up. Plus you can look up bands in your area and see if they have shows and ask if there are any openings. Myspace used to be the best way to do this, but due to privacy issues, you can't look up a band by location (I think its insanely stupid, you can't do it on facebook either).

If you know any local bands who play regularly that are within your genre(s) follow their shows to see if you can get on one. If you get a big enough fan base you can actually have your own shows at local venues.

If you want to contact a venue directly, you can usually email them with questions and then they'll request a press kit or demo cd depending if its a big venue or a small venue. Many times venues don't care, they ask the type of music and if you can pay rent, then you can work out getting paid after that. Like the 3 big venues where I live, its $1000 to rent the stage, and then a percentage of ticket sales. Smaller venues are usually around $200-$500.

AlanHB
03-01-2011, 06:49 AM

Any help is appreciated!

Are you a covers band or an originals band? How old are you?

And the simple answer between emailing and sending in a cd is NEITHER. You walk into the place, ask to talk to the person in charge of booking gigs and give them a demo cd with a quick spiel about your band. Emails and letters are far easier to ignore than a person talking to you.