Band members fighting...

PDA

View Full Version : Band members fighting...

kaosxrocker
03-01-2011, 11:39 PM
So the singer and drummer for my band have been fighting more and more lately. The straw that could very well break the camel's back happened today.

Basically, they've been living together for almost a year now, and for the last few months, they've had no running water. They just had to pay the bill to get it turned back on. The drummer and other roommate gave my singer the money to mail to the water company, and it got lost in transit. So they coughed up again as soon as they could, and told the singer to take it directly to them. Somehow, my singer lost the money again. My drummer and their other roommate think that the singer keeps taking the money and ****ing them over, which I can totally see happening. A similar situation happened a couple months ago, and we talked it over. It seemed to be better until tonight.

So here's my options. The singer has become a bit of a dick in recent months and has given us no reason to trust him anymore, so I could talk to the other members about kicking him out. Unfortunately, if we do that, we lose our better guitarist, as well as our singer/songwriter, so he'd be taking some of our more successful songs with him. What should I do?

TL; DR: My singer and drummer are fighting over monetary issues, and the singer has been causing problems for us lately. We've tried talking to him before, but it apparently didn't help. Should we kick him out or try and get him to pull his head out of his ass again?

krypticguitar87
03-01-2011, 11:52 PM
kick him he's replacable...

kaosxrocker
03-01-2011, 11:54 PM
kick him he's replacable...
That's the thing, he's written all our songs thus far. If he goes, we could very well lose them all.

jetwash69
03-01-2011, 11:59 PM
So why doesn't someone else deliver the money to the water company?

It's not unheard of for a key member of a band to abuse the hell out of everybody else in the band. Elvis, Captain Beefheart, John Lennon all come to mind. Sometimes the band puts up with it and go on to make millions (but at what price?) Other times people move on and are better for it in other ways.

Sounds like theres some dynamics going on there that unless some of the people make some drastic lifestyle changes, the problems are just going to get worse until someone hits rock bottom. Not everyone bounces back.

kaosxrocker
03-02-2011, 12:03 AM
So why doesn't someone else deliver the money to the water company?

It's not unheard of for a key member of a band to abuse the hell out of everybody else in the band. Elvis, Captain Beefheart, John Lennon all come to mind. Sometimes the band puts up with it and go on to make millions (but at what price?) Other times people move on and are better for it in other ways.

Sounds like theres some dynamics going on there that unless some of the people make some drastic lifestyle changes, the problems are just going to get worse until someone hits rock bottom. Not everyone bounces back.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that last paragraph. Our singer's an ass, we've all accepted that. He's made most of our girlfriends feel like shit at some point or another, and now he's pissing the band members off.

The reason no one else takes the money to them is that they work. They leave before the company opens, and get home after it closes. The singer hasn't had a real job for about a year and a half.

Oftenbanned
03-02-2011, 12:06 AM
His a$$ has got to go! You had an issue with him and your bandmates came out of pocket twice for this retard. Shine up that boot! This guy cannot be trusted and likely to develop "LSD". Get rid of him now and start fresh. What kind of music do you play vocal wise?

kaosxrocker
03-02-2011, 12:09 AM
His a$$ has got to go! You had an issue with him and your bandmates came out of pocket twice for this retard. Shine up that boot! This guy cannot be trusted and likely to develop "LSD". Get rid of him now and start fresh. What kind of music do you play vocal wise?
Well, he's more of a growler than a singer, and that's actually one of the biggest complaints that we've had about our stuff. The music's good, but the vocals aren't.

ned216
03-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Perhaps you should just drop him. If he's causing strife among your band, you have to do what's best for the band as a whole, right?

You said that he wrote all of your songs, but that the vocals were not very desirable. You guys probably have a better shot at finding a better singer/songwriter/guitarist than straightening this guy out.

kaosxrocker
03-02-2011, 12:21 AM
You guys probably have a better shot at finding a better singer/songwriter/guitarist than straightening this guy out.
Probably. I'm convinced that nothing short of an act of God will bring him around.

Oftenbanned
03-02-2011, 12:29 AM
So he is a horrible vocalist,dishonest, and a complete douche bag. I know you guys built a relationship with this dude but he did it to himself. Fire him :mad:

Kortez3000
03-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Well you're going to have to kick him out sometime.

kaosxrocker
03-02-2011, 12:32 AM
So he is a horrible vocalist,dishonest, and a complete douche bag. I know you guys built a relationship with this dude but he did it to himself. Fire him :mad:
Hey man, get your facts straight. He's not a HORRIBLE vocalist :haha:

In all seriousness, though, pretty much. It will probably end up that way, we just want to make sure we aren't going to lose our songs.

Ace-014
03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm not sure how worth keeping your guys's songs are. And either way, you guys could definetly use a better vocalist. Definetly.

Boot him.

pandora_grunt
03-02-2011, 06:01 AM
So your vocalist isn't liked by your audience nor by the band. So what if he has written the songs thus far. Just start fresh. New people, new mentality.

AlanHB
03-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Well it's their house problem as far as the water thing goes. Im personally under the impression that he's stealing it, purely because it's been lost twice.

Otherwise you just have a dick in the band, kick him.

SlackerBabbath
03-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Well it's their house problem as far as the water thing goes. Im personally under the impression that he's stealing it, purely because it's been lost twice.

Otherwise you just have a dick in the band, kick him.
Agreed.

That's the thing, he's written all our songs thus far. If he goes, we could very well lose them all.

Which would you rather have, a fairly talented writer who's also a thief that acts like a dick, or the opportunity to develop your own songwriting without having to put up with this guy?

metalmetalhead
03-02-2011, 06:52 AM
better start now. by law you gotta serve an eviction notice and hes gotta be out in so many days.

Hes prolly on drugs anyway. and hes the singer so i can understand that he wrote most of the songs but hes still replaceable.

krypticguitar87
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Well, he's more of a growler than a singer, and that's actually one of the biggest complaints that we've had about our stuff. The music's good, but the vocals aren't.

sorry dude but this statement screams "KICK HIM!!!!!" he creates the most complaints in the bands performance and he's a jerk.

I get that he's written most of your songs but you can find someone else to write more songs as well as writing your own. nothing can redeem a vocalist who steals money and only really growls... you can go to any prison and find a theif that can scream into a mic, and they may actually be nicer to you guys about it...

Oftenbanned
03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah, you might want to also consult a lawyer on the bounderies/control the singer has of these songs. If it's just vocals than cut them out and keep the music . Did he just write the lyrics or contribute to the instramental aspect of the songs. I am not an expert on this but you see it in the news al the time with band members fighting over control of the music when someone leaves.

kaosxrocker
03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Did he just write the lyrics or contribute to the instramental aspect of the songs.
He did both. However, we all contribute to the instrumental.

AlanHB
03-03-2011, 08:04 AM
He did both. However, we all contribute to the instrumental.

There's a copyright sticky in this forum if you're thinking about checking out the copyright.

Basically it says that the lyrics and melody are the features of a song most likely to attract copyright. So you could replace the singer with a different one who wrote different lyrics and melody over your songs and it wouldn't breach the original singer's copyright entitlements.