First actual setlist!

PDA

View Full Version : First actual setlist!

McGryphon
03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Hiya,
I've been playing in a band for a year now, and so far we've gone through 3 drummers and 2 singers before arriving at the current stable line-up. We've got:
A drummer with 12 years of experience, immensely good player
A bassist who doesn't even know himself how long he's been playing, probably due to the pot. Decent player though.
A singer who is christian, but loves metal. He suggested to do Slayer's "Cult", so his belief doesn't hinder him. He carries a more than decent tune and can scream quite nicely, his growls/grunts are sub-par though. Luckily, we don't need those :p:
Me, myself and I, as rhythm guitar player. I've been playing for 2 years now, and can manage songs like Metallica's Damage Inc. and Slayer's World Painted Blood with some effort.
And lastly, our lead guitarist, who started playing 1 month before me. His biggest problem is raw speed and keeping rhythm, but he's getting better at it.

Now, after boring you all with this information nobody's going to remember, I'll get back to the topictitle. We've constructed a first short setlist. And I'd like constructive comments on it, you might view this setlist as a baseline for playing in the sort of bars we all visit, and want to play at; most nights, this setlist would fit in quite nicely concerning speed, loudness and grittiness. We'd still like to know what we might change for the better though. Now, without further ado, the 7-song list!
1. Judas Priest - Hellion/Electric Eye
2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid -> Possibly something by Shinedown or the Offspring
3. Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man
4. Metallica - For whom the bell tolls
5. Metallica - ...And Justice for all (shortened)
6. Black Sabbath - Heaven and hell
7. Motörhead - Overkill

Keep on banging them loving heads!

jonny108
03-02-2011, 09:29 AM
kinda helps to know whom you're going to be playing to.

Dempsey68
03-02-2011, 09:34 AM
add the safety dance in between them metallica songs, it'll go down a treat!

McGryphon
03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
add the safety dance in between them metallica songs, it'll go down a treat!
You mean the song by Men without hats which I first saw extremely drunk, ending up on the floor next to my chair laughing? :p:

Necronomicon
03-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah I'd say know your audience - a good part of the population has never heard a lot of (or all of) those songs and thus may not relate.

McGryphon
03-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Well, the audience we will probably play to is the audience who generally see hard rock and heavy metal bands, like in the bar where I work: a quite large portion of the possible audience consists of regulars, in a bar which usually plays AC/DC, System of a Down, Guns n'Roses, Metallica and such on the stereo when nobody is playing there.

Dempsey68
03-02-2011, 09:47 AM
You mean the song by Men without hats which I first saw extremely drunk, ending up on the floor next to my chair laughing? :p:
that's the one :D

axeman80
03-02-2011, 02:31 PM
S s s s...A a a a ...F f f f...(funny)

Hellion/Electric Eye is a great opener, I'd put Overkill in the middle (not as well known) unless it's a REALLY strong song for you. Split up Paranoid and Wicker Man since they both have almost the same straight ahead tempo. My suggestion:
Hellion/Electric Eye
Paranoid
And Justice For All
Motorhead
Heaven & Hell
The Wicker Man
For Whom the Bell Tolls

MikkiSixx
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
If I were you guys, I would open with either for whom the bell tolls or paranoid because they are the most well known songs on that list. Whichever one you choose to not open with I would end with. Also try to add a bit more of a variety of bands to your set. Of 7 songs more than half of them are either black sabbath or Judas Priest covers :/ Also I say good call on thinking about adding an offspring cover, I think that would go over great.

Dempsey68
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
ACDC hells bells to start off with? the bell tolling and dim lights would be a great effect, then just a spotlight on the guitarist as he plays the intro riff. would be sexual! <- being serious this time.

McGryphon
03-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys, except i instinctively dislike the idea of having hell's bells and for whom the bell tolls in one set. Don't know why. Might be a good idea to open with hell's bells and close off with for whom the bell tolls though..
Our strongest songs ale hellion/electric eye, paranoid and FWTBT, with Justice as our worst song, but we're working on that. Our bassist suggested to open with Down with the Sickness, but our other guitarist strongly objects because he had to see a situation like described there quite graphically in his very near vicinity a few years back, which has sort of traumatized him. Same thing for me with songs like inside the fire, so that sort of songs get ruled out.
There are some other songs we might put in, like these:
Disturbed - Sons of Plunder
Megadeth - Hangar 18, A tout le Monde, You'll nver walk alone... A call to arms
Metallica - The thing that should not be

We'll need more time to practice those though, do any of these strike any of you as vastly superior to something we've put in our setlist?

axemanchris
03-03-2011, 07:00 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290962

CT