Intro Music

PDA

View Full Version : Intro Music

axeman80
03-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Using some sort of intro music before your set, good or bad/cheesy?

My situation would be hard rock/metal cover band playing bar gigs. The last time we actually played a bar (10+ years ago), I thought it would be cool to come out to the Terminator theme, Flight of the Valkyries, or maybe Carmina Burana but now I'm not so sure...

mr7string
03-02-2011, 03:58 PM
write your own that leads into a song, lots of cleans and lots of low end on the bass, get people in the mood haha!

mb889
03-02-2011, 04:02 PM
It can really go either way.
Going out to pretty epic music and shouting "THANK YOU insert state name, WE ARE insert band name!" Is probably not going to go over well in a bar gig.

BUT, my band does do intro music, and we aren't super famous (except kinda locally) or anything. We just do a kind of general mashup of the music we do (maybe thirty, forty seconds), and I say "Hey, guys, we are Silver Safety, and this song is called...", after which we launch into one of our songs that's in the same key. People seem to like that. :)

rickyj
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
my band has something like it sort of...

our bassists plays his bass with a violin bow(sounds pretty sweet actually) with a long analog delay that he's got.

he plays it from offstage

sounds pretty bad ass

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QP-SIW6iKY

Windwaker
03-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Intro music can be really cool. We use a prerecorded vocal track that sounds sort of synth/paddish to set a really eerie and apprehensive mood before our occasional opener Paragon. The song begins with a really huge unison polymetric idea that is big and loud, so it works really nicely.

axeman80
03-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I have a looper I use live sometimes, and was thinking of playing the Enter Sandman intro before the show, having the sound guy bring up the volume slowly, have each band member come up to the stage when their part starts and then kicking into the song once everyone is on stage.

Hail
03-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Metallica is great with classical intros, they use Ecstasy of Gold every time they go out. If you were to do a piece like ...And Justice For All, Battery, or Fight Fire With Fire, you'd definitely be able to pull it off.

axemanchris
03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
We used something like that. I wasn't as much music as much as it was sound effects, samples and such over a musical background. It was about 45 seconds long - just enough time to get us up onto the stage - and the final synth line trailed off on an F#, which was the first note of our first song that started with just vocals. It gave us a cue note which set us up beautifully.

Another thing is that I think it looks pretty lame to see a band get up, look around at each other, shrug their shoulders, look around some more, shrug another once or twice and then start the first song. The cue music made sure we couldn't do that.

CT

pandora_grunt
03-03-2011, 06:02 AM
My band does not play live so far, but we are messing around with show elements while rehearsing. I play something on my keyboard based on the riff of our first song. I speed this up and then we burst into this song. I can play as long I want till we really are ready.

But Chris points out something important. Don't shrug!

merriman44
03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Depends on the genre brudda. My band took the first song on the set list which is real thrashy and half timed the drums and played around with the notes. Its extremely flowy and gets us the atmosphere we want.

nouse4aname125
03-05-2011, 09:29 PM
we use one sometimes when its a bigger show. We wrote one out on reason with a lot of ominous low end stuff. then we used the vocal part from "i will wait for you" and put it pretty low in the mix so its really creepy. but we timed it and put it in the exact same key as the first song off of our ep.

http://soundcloud.com/ourcorsair/intro