Sports Interfering with Band

PDA

View Full Version : Sports Interfering with Band

jakesc8
03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
So a person we have in our band, keyboardist, so he is kind of a nuisance and likes to play bass, causing the bassist to play guitar, an im not doing anything. No offence to keyboardists. But he plays soccer, so we cannot practice on mondays or wednesdays. That sucked, we were mad, but just dealt with it. Now hes signing up for baseball and we cant practice ever except 2 saturdays a month. Because his sports are also on saturadys half the time, we cant do that, and the bassist cannot leave the house on Sundays because of religion. What do we do?

mh1986
03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Get a new keyboard player or just practice without him. He's obviously chosen sports over your band, Id replace him.

SGmaniac1021
03-02-2011, 07:08 PM
if you can't ever rehearse you won't get anywhere. I know it may be hard to kick out the keyboardist if he's a cool dude and your friend but look at these two options:
1)Keep him in the band....you guys never practice...and you all waste time as the band will get nowhere (unless you guys just do this as a hobby vs. a serious career)

2) Kick him out and you're able to practice and continue to rehearse on a much more reasonable schedule. Plus you may be able to find a new keyboardist to fill his place too

It's all up to you though. That's the way I see it

FireFromTheVoid
03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Kick the keyboardist/bassist that makes you unable to practice out and let the real bassist play bass

Edit: or convince him to stop signing up for sports if he wants to be a serious member of the band

jakesc8
03-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Ok. We dont need a keyboardist, cause it doesnt work with our genre. I dont want to kick out the bassist, as bassist are hard to come by. And to get my spot back I just have to yell at him. And one day isnt that bad. thanks.

FireFromTheVoid
03-02-2011, 07:24 PM
No keep the real bassist in the band kick the keyboardist that likes to play bass out

jakesc8
03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Ok. What about the matter of getting my position of guitarist back?

krypticguitar87
03-02-2011, 07:50 PM
ask for it back? :shrug:

FireFromTheVoid
03-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I thought the bassist was the one that took your spot on guitar wouldn't if he went back to playing bass you slide right back into guitar

jakesc8
03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Well, we used to be like interchangeable as bassist and guitarist. But now I find myself playing bass even on songs I suggest we play. pisses me off seeing as I got a new guitar, and he got an 800 dollar bass that doesnt get played.

FireFromTheVoid
03-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Then just ask to swap back it might take some convincing/ passive agressiveness
Or go the bitchier route and demand to be back on guitar and refuse to stay the bass player

SlackerBabbath
03-03-2011, 06:25 AM
So a person we have in our band, keyboardist, so he is kind of a nuisance and likes to play bass, causing the bassist to play guitar, an im not doing anything. No offence to keyboardists. But he plays soccer, so we cannot practice on mondays or wednesdays. That sucked, we were mad, but just dealt with it. Now hes signing up for baseball and we cant practice ever except 2 saturdays a month. Because his sports are also on saturadys half the time, we cant do that, and the bassist cannot leave the house on Sundays because of religion. What do we do?

If you can't practice on Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays or Sundays, that still leaves Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Why not just re-schedule practice for days when everyone is free?

AlanHB
03-03-2011, 06:53 AM
If you can't practice on Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays or Sundays, that still leaves Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Why not just re-schedule practice for days when everyone is free?

Yes exactly what I was thinking. Otherwise I'd go with kicking him. If he wants to play with the band, he'll make time.

Forkman
03-03-2011, 07:35 AM
What are you gonna do if you get a gig on a Sunday?

dmiwshicldply
03-05-2011, 11:39 AM
What are you gonna do if you get a gig on a Sunday?

You tell them that the band is unavailable on sundays? Pretty simple, you can't/wont be expected to be available any time of the day any day of the week. Also I don't think I have ever played or even been to a gig on a sunday. Very few bars are open on sundays and bars are the most common of venues. I can't see not being available on sundays being any real issue.

But yea TS you still have some days open for practice in your week. Schedule those days, if not then kick him. That's about all you can do

SlackerBabbath
03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
You tell them that the band is unavailable on sundays? Pretty simple, you can't/wont be expected to be available any time of the day any day of the week. Also I don't think I have ever played or even been to a gig on a sunday. Very few bars are open on sundays and bars are the most common of venues. I can't see not being available on sundays being any real issue.
Dunno about your part of the world, but here in Britain, Sunday afternoon gigs (to give people a chance to get over their hangover before work on Monday morning) used to be very popular and clubs all over the country used to have them. You don't see them as much now as you used to but they do still happen.

dmiwshicldply
03-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Dunno about your part of the world, but here in Britain, Sunday afternoon gigs (to give people a chance to get over their hangover before work on Monday morning) used to be very popular and clubs all over the country used to have them. You don't see them as much now as you used to but they do still happen.

Its illegal to sell liquor on sundays in a lot of places over here. So if bar can't sell liquor why bother opening the doors. Like I said I can not think of one sunday gig I've been to or played. I wish though I would love for something to do on sunday nights

fc89konkari
03-06-2011, 04:36 PM
The bassist cant rehearse on 1 day of the week cause of religion. Big deal... Its religion, and you cant say hes wrong about that.

However, the keyboardist picked sports over the band, and causes other problems too. Kick him out.

elloel
03-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Kick both the keyboardist and bassist. Doesn't sound like the keyboardist is dedicated enough. And you clearly don't want someone that goes to a church every sunday to talk about fictional characters in your band.

SlackerBabbath
03-07-2011, 05:07 AM
Its illegal to sell liquor on sundays in a lot of places over here. So if bar can't sell liquor why bother opening the doors. Like I said I can not think of one sunday gig I've been to or played. I wish though I would love for something to do on sunday nights

Ahhh, still getting over that whole prohibition thing back in the 1920s eh? ;)

dmiwshicldply
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Ahhh, still getting over that whole prohibition thing back in the 1920s eh? ;)

More like getting over religious nuts but yea you get the point :Haha: