One man metal band?

PDA

View Full Version : One man metal band?

GRABBER
03-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Not sure if this is the right place.

So, due to lack of musicians in my area, particulary drummers who can handle complex time signatures. I have decided to try out doing it solo. I've downloaded a drum machine and have the means to record all my music. How well do you think doing a gig may be? Like recording the drum track with bass and second guitar track while i play guitar and do vocals.

It won't be to serious of a thing and i would be welcome to adding members.

Would you go watch a one man metal act if done well?

If you want to know what my tunes may be like you can check out my thread in the tab forum and original recordings forum.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415489

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415846

Thanks a ton for any feed back and God bless!!!

the_perdestrian
03-04-2011, 02:52 AM
I dont see it really working out unless you are an insanely good guitarist. ESPECIALLY if you are gonna be stuck behind a mic stand. no one wants to go to a metal show and see one guy standing still. that would be like paying 5/10/whatever bucks to go listen to a CD.

I know that phrase gets thrown around a lot, but I think this would be the most literal case of it.

megano28
03-04-2011, 03:02 AM
This guys runs solo I believe...he writes everything and then hires some musicians for his videos/live shows and recording

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MK9bJdclc&feature=fvwrel

pepsi1187
03-04-2011, 03:21 AM
What you're doing is essentially performing with your own backing tracks. Not uncommon, I've seen plenty of musicians and vocalists perform with just backing tracks, myself included. It's a great setup if you sing. You know how the music will sound and you only need to rely on yourself. I think this would also be a great way to recruit musicians, people will see what you're made out of and they will have a good idea what 2 expect out of you. I think you should do this while actively recruiting musicians.

Think about this; playing guitar and singing is something that you already have to keep up. The fewer people you have onstage, the more you'll end up doing by yourself. You will have the jobs of a drummer, bassist, producer, engineer, and house DJ if you have to provide the means to play the backing tracks.

The production quality of the backing tracks is critical, you will scare away fans if your instrumentals sound like crap. I think metal drum and bass patterns are easy to pull off with cheap software. Composing drumbeats is simple work, just don't repeat the same pattern, do something new each song. People will scrutinize each aspect of your performance, they will notice small things like that. I also wouldn't jam onstage by yourself unless you did something to the track like adding fills and riffs to the other instruments. Watching somebody jam to a loop is boring.

GRABBER
03-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the feed back. All worthy of consideration.

To the_perdestrian: i have deffinately thought about how it would appear on stage and i am currently brain storming ways to make my show more exciting.

To magano28: unfortunately I cannot afford to hire other people.

To pepsi1187: thanks for our advice. It's really encouraging. I have my own recording set up and can make a pretty decent quality track with it if i put extra effort into it. If that's not good enough i have connections to people who can get me better recordings. And i was hoping that as i play some shows others might be interested in playing with me.

Thanks a ton again!

axeman80
03-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I saw a musician (metalish) perform once with two guitars, a keyboard and a bass set up and use loopers for everything except drums which were programmed. Obviously, you cannot do very complex songs, but the way he did it was very entertaining. He would change loops on the fly from one instrument to the next.

whalio
03-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Personally I would stick with recording my own stuff in the mean time and work on finding bandmates for the future. bandmix.com is a decent site to look for musicians in your area.

megano28
03-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the feed back. All worthy of consideration.

To the_perdestrian: i have deffinately thought about how it would appear on stage and i am currently brain storming ways to make my show more exciting.

To magano28: unfortunately I cannot afford to hire other people.

To pepsi1187: thanks for our advice. It's really encouraging. I have my own recording set up and can make a pretty decent quality track with it if i put extra effort into it. If that's not good enough i have connections to people who can get me better recordings. And i was hoping that as i play some shows others might be interested in playing with me.

Thanks a ton again!

mEgano btw... :haha:

You don't have to hire people at first, I'm sure he only started doing so once he saw he had a following and was making money, also I'm not to sure but isn't Nine Inch Nails also a solo act?

Hail
03-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Use a fog machine and get friends in the crowd to urge people to headbang and whatnot, that's about all you'll be able to do to increase stage presence, if that much, without getting other people on stage with you

or do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Lc0fWLodI

jrakus
03-05-2011, 06:05 PM
It'd be interesting to see a one man metal band if you also played a kick drum and hi-hat, guitar, growl and have a keyboard nearby to solo over looped guitar riffs. So you don't need backing tracks. If you do all that and manage to headbang along everybody will love you!

Scowmoo
03-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Look up Viral Load.
Not my cup of tea, but it shows that it can be done.

randomhero93
03-19-2011, 12:49 PM
there's a band near me named Walls With Teeth. and it's one guy that writes all the parts and then screams over it live. it's only him, yet he sets up a drumset, and amps behind him anyway. Not sure why, but I was never a fan of his stuff, and I always thought he looked like an idiot.

Scourge441
03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
There are tons of one-man metal bands, but most don't perform live without a backing band. And I know I would probably find a live performance featuring one guy and a bunch of backing tracks to be pretty boring.

I'd suggest starting it as a studio-only project for now, and adding members later. And only do live performances solo if you really can't stand not playing live. If good drummers are the problem, just ask every musician you know who the best drummer they know is, and seek those people out.

GRABBER
03-19-2011, 11:12 PM
This was some great stuff to ponder on. But luckily i just found a band to play in. It's looking up to be pretty good. Thanks for all the replies!

metal15head
03-22-2011, 12:37 AM
kinda having this problem in my area...i can never find any other good musicians and the ones who are fairly good tend to just give up on a band after a week or two. so yea, where i live it sucks to be a musician

Joshua1207
03-22-2011, 12:46 AM
It can be done, look at Drumcorps. Awesome, awesome shit.

semus
03-22-2011, 04:02 AM
anything can work, if its done good enough... i say go for it

zzzHillzzz
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Check out Putrid Pile one man death metal act who tours the world does fairly well for himself