First Setlist Help

PDA

View Full Version : First Setlist Help

Loffle Monster.
03-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I would post this in the setlist topic, but it's too inactive. This summer, we're playing at a carshow/plane show as our first gig. We're playing about an hour and our goal is to atleast have 16 songs ready. Any suggestions or changes?

1. Alive - Pearl Jam
2. I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor - Arctic Monkeys
3. Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
4. Muse Song
5. Message in a Bottle - Police
6. Santeria - Sublime
7. Under the Bridge - Chili Peppers
8. Original
9. Original

Break

10. Over the Hills and Far Away - Zeppelin
11. My Generation - Who
12. Revolution - Beatles
13. Crossroads - Cream
14. Champagne Supernova - Oasis
15. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
16. Two Princes - Spin Doctors

davis_kiel
03-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't finish with Two Princes. I would go for something that really rocks. You last one is the one that will stick in peoples heads and leave an impression (imho). When playing with my band, we always finish with our best and most catchy song. Good luck with your first gig!

MickAlmighty
03-05-2011, 12:41 PM
^ agreed.

also, i would space your 2 originals out abit more.
what ive learned from my old band is that abouts 90% of the time, people dont care for the originals as much as they do for singing there drunken arses off for the most popular songs about at the time.

so what id say is, open with dance floor, the big chunky power chords in the intro would be a real attention grabber for the start of your gig, then mess around with ideas for one or two more songs, then throw in your first original, then a few more, then your other original, then a big set closer such as message in a bottle/take me out

then maybe open the second set with under the bridge, nice slow/melodic song with a BIG chorus to pull everyone back in, then hit 'em in the nuts with some epic Led Zep.

then find the best, hardest hitting song you know and close the gig with that...

but you always have to keep in mind the possibilities of an encore.

some fun, well known songs are what you need there. use somebody by kings of leon as an example. simple song, REALLY (and somewhat overly) popular, and garanteed youl have the whole place singing along

good luck with the gig, let us all know how it goes :)

Loffle Monster.
03-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Do you guys think My Generation would be a great closer? I don't really like the Muse song either, but one of my bandmates is obsessed with them, but the rest of us don't really care for them. Do you know any Muse songs that are more rock?

Oh and the feedback is much appreciated!

MickAlmighty
03-05-2011, 12:57 PM
depends which muse song it is.

plug in baby is a rather crowd pleaser, played it once at a gig to fill time seeing as we couldnt play like 40% of our usual setlist because our singer/rhythm guitarist decided he didnt want to do the gig and would rather **** us for his slag of a girlfriend.

that was also the day we fired our (now ex-) lead singer/rhythm guitarist haha

rebel rocker
03-05-2011, 01:02 PM
My Generation would be a good closer, go out with a bang and whatnot, if you're only playing for an hour, thats only gonna fit 10-12 songs max without a break, especially with the songs you listed, so don't get too set on anything right now, you're gonna need to trim the set down some, good songs overall though, best of luck with the gig :headbang:

moses132049
03-05-2011, 01:09 PM
open with your 2nd strongest song
end with your best song, the last song is what people will remember

jetwash69
03-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Another good rock Muse song is Knights of Cydonia. They close with that a lot.

Others to consider are Stockholm Syndrome (drop D), Hysteria, Supermassive Black Hole. Exo Politics, or if you want something more "now", there's always Uprising.

BTW, I wouldn't open with Pearl Jam.

King Turi
03-05-2011, 11:28 PM
BTW, I wouldn't open with Pearl Jam.

I just wouldn't do Pearl Jam at all.

You just get pigeonholed into being a Pearl Jam wannabe band.

Legend Jedicsc
03-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Do you guys think My Generation would be a great closer? I don't really like the Muse song either, but one of my bandmates is obsessed with them, but the rest of us don't really care for them. Do you know any Muse songs that are more rock?

Oh and the feedback is much appreciated!
Hysteria or Plug in Baby.

axemanchris
03-06-2011, 09:35 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290962

CT