Need advice: How to handle inexperienced bandmate?

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: How to handle inexperienced bandmate?

Rising
03-06-2011, 11:04 AM
We're a 3 piece band. We're 20 and 21. I sing and play guitar and have been at it a little longer than the bassist and drummer.

We have a series of concerts approaching very, very soon. Not much time to write/rehearse new songs. Stress is high, and we basically have to dance around my bass player's general incompetence and defensive ego.

I can't fire him and find a new guy to learn everything in time for a gig 12 days away. But he must practice and improve.

My question is; How do you approach a bandmate with what they need to improve on, without tripping on any insecurities?

Iommianity
03-06-2011, 11:16 AM
You shouldn't really have to. Obviously in this case it's do or die, but a bad or cocky attitude is 100x worse than inexperience. The next time you jam, talk about the strengths you guys have together and make that the focus. If you casually bring up ways you can all improve, it might be an easier pill to swallow.

To save yourself the headache, just make sure you're not in the same position going into a gig. You don't have to be friends, you just to have to click.

urbasicallydead
03-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Had to do this before... you gotta tell him straight up buck up or get the **** out.

Rising
03-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Had to do this before... you gotta tell him straight up buck up or get the **** out.
So did he buck up or get the **** out?

AlanHB
03-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Why have you booked gigs when the band isn't ready? Why did you get a bassist that can't play your songs?

axemanchris
03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
^ This.

CT

Dangertux
03-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I think it comes down to how incompetent is he? Can he literally not play for shit or is he sloppy and lazy.

If it's just a little sloppy then you have to impress upon jlhom tactfully that he needs to work on whatever it is he needs to improve. If he just can't cut it at all I would cancel some bookings and get a bassist who can and get him up to speed my opinion though.

SlackerBabbath
03-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Why have you booked gigs when the band isn't ready? Why did you get a bassist that can't play your songs?^ This.

CT

Seconded.

After rule number one (if it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing) comes rule number two, never book a gig before you consider yourselves to be ready to play a gig.