Udders of Genocide - Death metal (with cowbell) - [GP5, GP4, MIDI] - C4C!

PDA

View Full Version : Udders of Genocide - Death metal (with cowbell) - [GP5, GP4, MIDI] - C4C!

valdean
03-06-2011, 03:57 PM
This is part 7 of my concept album, concerning Magma Cow's genocide as its revenge upon mankind.
It's more in the brutal vein of death metal, not so much old school, but you might be able to hear some of that anyways. I've been working on it for a while now.

This could be the most brutal/non-stop blasting song of the album, so I hope you like blast beats.
Press F5 and read the lyrics in the notes if you want to. I have yet to add maybe one paragraph.
I've started writing them over the "Guitar 2" track as well, so you can get an idea of how they're gonna be, and also sing along if you feel like it. (except the chorus is on "Guitar 1".)

This will probably be the first song I record when I acquire a drum machine and more experience with recording etc.

I tend to make very proper/elaborate crits, so I wouldn't mind something like that myself/in return.

Thanks.

This is not intended for RSE by the way.

metal_cobs
03-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Dude. That is a perfect death metal song.
All you need to do is record it!

Tarbosh
03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Some of the transitions were a bit off, at least it seemed like it to me. The riffs were pretty standard death metal, not that that is a bad thing. Put some crunch on there and let it roar when you record, and it'll be great. I quite dig the section at 68.

Couple suggestions, though:

You may want to insert a section where it slows down the tempo, not a breakdown, but just something to even it up. Check out Cryptopsy's song Abigor if you want to see what I mean. The part in the middle. Also, some cowbell blasts would fit nicely with the theme, I think, for some extra humor, haha. But you don't have to.

Crit mine?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26622014#post26622014

DaddyTwoFoot
03-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Typical but high-quality death metal fare. Pretty damn good, I really enjoyed it. I definitely think it could use a breakdown. Not a metalcore breakdown necessarily, but something to break it up.

valdean
03-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Dude. That is a perfect death metal song.
All you need to do is record it!

Cheers man. I'll let you know when it happens.

Typical but high-quality death metal fare. Pretty damn good, I really enjoyed it. I definitely think it could use a breakdown. Not a metalcore breakdown necessarily, but something to break it up.

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it.
Refer yourself further down for an explanation.

Some of the transitions were a bit off, at least it seemed like it to me. The riffs were pretty standard death metal, not that that is a bad thing. Put some crunch on there and let it roar when you record, and it'll be great. I quite dig the section at 68.

Couple suggestions, though:

You may want to insert a section where it slows down the tempo, not a breakdown, but just something to even it up. Check out Cryptopsy's song Abigor if you want to see what I mean. The part in the middle. Also, some cowbell blasts would fit nicely with the theme, I think, for some extra humor, haha. But you don't have to.

Crit mine?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26622014#post26622014

Thanks man.
Yeah the transitions might be a bit weird, but they also add some comic effect, with the sudden cowbell and all. Not saying that that's an excuse on my part though. It's just that this might be taken with a pinch of salt.

I considered slowing it down, but I wanted this song to be all out blasting. I added some slower sections (eight notes instead of sixteenths), but nothing much.

Gonna have a look at yours.

JazzDeath
03-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Well I gave this a listen, and while it is Death Metal and fits very well into the Brutal genre, first off brutal death isn't really my cup of tea so my opinion might not be as relevant to this genre, but I feel like there's some issues overall with transitions, with some riffs themselves, and with the fact that the entire thing seems very uni-dimensional at times - when you have the drums blasting, the guitars both doing the same tremolo line for a while, then you change tremolo line but keep blasting, there's just no variation rhyhtmically or dynamically and it becomes sort of a chore for me to listen to.

I mean even the Tremolo riffs lack much of a rhythmic variation, to be honest the one I liked the most would probably be the one at measure 50, perhaps because it nostalgically reminds me of old Death, but even then the effect is lost when you just add this bridge type thing in the middle and then put another tremolo section, and then it becomes dull to me.

I just feel like afterwards the song loses purpose or direction, for example that triplet sweep thing seems really out of context and instead of turning it into a section which reflects that particular rhythmic or lead choice you go back to tremolo, and I'm not sure what the sweep was even there for.

It just seems like a bunch of old school death metal riffs tossed together, so yeah, I find it lacks originality and what's being done here has been done before, and done better.

That being said, none of these riffs are terrible, but as a whole I find it lacks direction.

Sorry for the harsh crit, but I guess it's just not my cup of tea.