what to do?

PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

roaddawg07
03-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Ok I am trying to start a band.I have a couple of friends,the drummer and the rhythm guitar/singer I play bass, we are all in our 40's.After months of searching for a lead guitar player we found a guy who is really good and he's 23.the problem is he and I are the only ones taking this seriously.They really aren't that good of players. He(guitar player) wants to find a different drummer and singer and I know if we are going to have any shot at making this band work we need to find better players.We now have an opportunity to play with a really good drummer who is another long time friend.My problem is how to tell two guys that i I've been friends with longer than my guitar player has been alive that they are out of the band.We recently fired a different rhythm player and that wasn't handled as well as it could have been(He was not a long time friend).Any suggestions?

Myshadow46_2
03-07-2011, 09:52 AM
School boy error, try not to get into bands with friends. It causes more issues when the time comes along to kick them.

So, the lead guitarist decides to leave and you think, "What the hell, I can manage playing in two bands"; so you join his new band with that drummer he's found. You're in two bands now, but one of them isn't serious, so shouldn't take up too much of your time. It'll probably just fade away as the other members are not taking it seriously anyway.

Riffman15
03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I'd just break the whole band up all together, say it's interfering with your job or somthing. Just let the band fizzle. All the while you and the other guy start looking for new members and start up a new band, with a new name and new identity.

Sounds like the easiest way to go, a little underhanded, but might help spare their feelings.

krypticguitar87
03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
WOW both of these two things are horrible ideas, if you want to keep these guys as friends......

what you should do is explain to the others that they aren't taking it seriously and then leave the band because you are serious, they'll understand, they are in their 40's so they are adults....

Myshadow46_2
03-08-2011, 09:56 AM
WOW both of these two things are horrible ideas, if you want to keep these guys as friends......

what you should do is explain to the others that they aren't taking it seriously and then leave the band because you are serious, they'll understand, they are in their 40's so they are adults....

Actually, to be fair, my advice is pretty bad. Not sure what I was thinking.

roaddawg07
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
The outher drummer is another long time friend of mine .I was in a different band with him before.

AlanHB
03-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Well I'm going to assume that because you're in your 40s, the guys are mature to understand that as you have different goals for the band, it's best to keep them as jam buddies and replace their roles in the band.

If your band members aren't serious or committed, there's no point having them in a serious or committed band.