how to fix loudness

PDA

View Full Version : how to fix loudness

azianmusician19
03-07-2011, 01:28 AM
So today I had the first band meeting of my new band meeting, and it went great! We all connect really well and from the first jam we sounded really good. But tonight my friend brought up a problem. He said I was too loud. I have a Fender Blues Deluxe with an Omnisonic Volume Box in the effects loop, so basically it is ALREADY reduced in volume. Right now it's at 1, and any lower it causes some nasty overdrive that sounds like crap.

So is there anything I can do? I've thought of downgrading, better amp placement, turning everyone else up (not a good idea.) Side question, he said sound quality doesn't matter in rehearsal, does anyone agree with this?

Wakko444
03-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Maybe Cheap Practice amp? Or try facing it against the wall and turning the bass down abit

supersac
03-07-2011, 01:41 AM
mmh i dont think turning it down causes overdrive
but if your too loud at 1 i think the rest of the band should turn up a bit i dont know how your too loud though
maybe you could eq your amp differentyl?

and sound quality always matters if you have a crappy sound at rehearsal whats the point of having a rehearsal if your not going to ty to improve your sound
having said thta dont expect it to be perfect but be mind ful

Hail
03-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Even all-tube, 40W at 1 really isn't much. What other instruments are playing and what gear do their have? It sounds like they either need to turn up their volume or upgrade.

azianmusician19
03-07-2011, 01:50 AM
There's a keyboard, a bass, and vocals running through a large Roland keyboard amp, and acoustic drums (drummer doesn't drum too loud though...) I might talk to them about bringing my PA in, but then there's the fact of carrying MORE stuff.

guns_rosesldb
03-07-2011, 01:59 AM
sound quality isnt as important in practice, but still, you dont want it to sound like crap. that being said, ur only at 1. my 100 watt all tube halfstack is at basically bedroom level at one. ill bet that everyone else just needs to turn up a little bit.

Hail
03-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Find a place to practice where you can leave your PA?

Ace-014
03-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Suck it up. If you can achieve a better sound through more stuff, do it.

azianmusician19
03-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Find a place to practice where you can leave your PA?

My keyboardist is borrowing it as his amp. I'll run it by him.

Phil Starr
03-07-2011, 04:57 AM
You need to get a bit more tech savvy. The fact that you are at one means nothing. If you are putting in a hot signal from your effects then you could be at almost full output. Gain and output are not the same thing.

Secondly you probably all need to realise how directional guitar amps are. High frequencies are sent out in a conical 'beam' which gets narrower as the frequency rises. Most people have their amps on the floor and at practices where you are often in small spaces the person whose amp it is has the sound pointed at their legs. The people who are further away where the beam has widened are getting full blast. I think this is your problem here.

Guitarists in particular have a reputation in bands for their anti-social noise habits, not knowing where their volume control is and setting their tone to a horrible shriek. The word guitard is one you might hear. This is due to not realising that their amps are so directional and that they are not hearing the same thing as everyone else. You can solve the problem completely bu leaning your amp back to point at your ears or buying an amp stand.

pandora_grunt
03-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Get some earplugs that filter rather then those awful yellow things that just reduce the dB. I use it if I notice I can't hear my keyboards well and it works like a charm.

xhisor
03-08-2011, 08:12 AM
get earplugs (which all of you should already have) and turn the others up!