Band Disagreement Over Material

PDA

View Full Version : Band Disagreement Over Material

soul.power
03-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Our band has been together for a couple years now and recently things have taken off. We've been getting a lot of gigs around town and our name has become established as one of the top bands in town (or so I've heard). We usually play a wide variety of material but mainly do stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Strokes, Rolling Stones, Blink 182, etc. Basically, relatively simple songs that hopefully everyone can appreciate.

Recently I was approached by a woman on the graduation committee at the local high school who said that we were easily the best band she'd heard in town and wanted us to play at the graduation after party. She said we would get an hour to play and we could play whatever we wanted, and that she trusted that we would play music that people would enjoy. However, there's a disagreement within our band over what material to play.

My opinion is to play what we usually play. After all, that's what has gained us recognition around town. It's readily accessible music that everyone can appreciate. I figured if we played songs that people may not know, but recognize and sound catchy (like Dani California, Parallel Universe, What's My Age Again?)

Our drummer, on the other hand, wants to play covers of pop songs and play music that people can dance to. He wants every song to have a steady "4 on the floor" beat. Stuff like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnm8MR9IFxU&fmt=18), Poker Face, I Got A Feeling, Tik Tok, etc.

What would you guys do in this situation?

ShetlandPunk
03-08-2011, 05:32 PM
If you can't dance to Dani California, then you don't deserve legs. go with your own insticts, but maybe one or two new pop song wont hurt.

GoodCharloteSux
03-08-2011, 05:34 PM
I always love a good pop song cover done with a rock edge, its corny but fun, why won;t you compromise and do a little bit of both?

Crimson Ghost
03-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Why don't you just write original songs? That's what all the good bands do

rhys digby
03-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Drummers don't have a say! Take Charge. :D

soul.power
03-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I always love a good pop song cover done with a rock edge, its corny but fun, why won;t you compromise and do a little bit of both?

I do too. Problem is, the only thing giving our pop covers a rock edge is the fact is played with an electric guitar. IMO, they sound stale and boring.

And I am willing to compromise, but I don't want to end up playing all dance songs. He'd rather not play any rock songs at all. For example, we though Snow by RHCP would be a great song because its chill backing music and everyone knows it. But he dismissed it because it has "no energy and you can't dance to it" I mean, we are a rock band so I'd like to continue playing some rock.

AlanHB
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
The gig is only an hour long, how long have your previous gigs been?
What songs did she see you play? Why do you need a different set just for this gig?

I don't see how the best cover band in town doesn't have a firm hour set down yet.

Otherwise just go 50/50 with the choices. You pick 6, your mate picks 6. Both rock and dance songs mentioned above are good choices for a cover band.

soul.power
03-08-2011, 06:34 PM
What songs did she see you play? Why do you need a different set just for this gig?

I don't see how the best cover band in town doesn't have a firm hour set down yet.

Otherwise just go 50/50 with the choices. You pick 6, your mate picks 6. Both rock and dance songs mentioned above are good choices for a cover band.

We have several hours of material down, it's just a matter of finding material that fits for this show. Our previous gigs have been about 45 minutes or so. And like you, I don't see the point in drastically changing our music style and what we play since what we play is serving us just fine.

She had seen us play First Date by Blink 182 and Poker Face (the Of Mice and Men cover, without screams).

I'll try to get him to compromise and split 50/50.

Damascus
03-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Seemed pretty clear that the length of the gig was not at all an issue (there was no mention of not having enough material) - the issue seems to be that the drummer wants to do a different set for the gig.

Is it just the drummer pushing for different songs? Do the two of you make all the decisions and everyone else goes along with what you two decide, or will they have an input?

AlanHB
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Seemed pretty clear that the length of the gig was not at all an issue (there was no mention of not having enough material) - the issue seems to be that the drummer wants to do a different set for the gig.

Well it wasn't explicitly mentioned as an issue, it's just that I see no other reason to have fights over what could only be described as "creative control in a cover band".

If this lady who hired you saw you play "First Date by Blink 182 and Poker Face", I would argue that a set of half rock, half dance is completely appropriate.

Damascus
03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Well it wasn't explicitly mentioned as an issue, it's just that I see no other reason to have fights over what could only be described as "creative control in a cover band".

Our drummer, on the other hand, wants to play covers of pop songs and play music that people can dance to.

I figured that was the reason.

I also agree with the danceability of Dani California, though if the drummer and the OP are the only two people with a vote on what gets played then it'd have to be some kind of fairly even compromise.

Natrone
03-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Go for both, man. Just talk to your drummer about it and tell him that you should just both compromise and do that.

BTW, punking up Taylor Swift songs is always a big hit ;)

AlanHB
03-08-2011, 11:09 PM
I figured that was the reason.

I may be on a different plain, but I think it's a silly reason especially if the band has played this music before because they're easily the "best" covers band as well. They would have played the songs and witnessed people dancing to them. Ideally they would have removed the songs (if any) that people don't dance to.

I also agree with the danceability of Dani California, though if the drummer and the OP are the only two people with a vote on what gets played then it'd have to be some kind of fairly even compromise.

Yeah I'd go 50/50. These situations are uncommon in working covers bands because they already know which songs go off the best when they play.