Fade Out The Gods [G5P]

PDA

View Full Version : Fade Out The Gods [G5P]

Majin Gaara
03-09-2011, 06:27 AM
This is a piece I composed back in July of 2009. The first song I wrote for my old band, Beneath The Earth. I was feeling a little melodic and metal and decided I'd piece together something honoring that of the middle eastern sound. So, I wrote some stuff up in G harmonic minor/D Phrygian Dominant, and and all that jazz and came up with this cool song with a great progression!

This song features lush, orchestral strings that will take your ears on an journey to the Gobi Desert, itself!
The Guitars are tight and crunchy, simple yet, thinking outside the box with the counter melodies and chord changes
A solid yet, slick arrangement. The whole song moves like a orchestra but even though It changes a lot, it stays very cohesive.

Also
I'm aware the lack of the solo. To this day, I still haven't written one yet that's stuck,
but everything else is pretty prominent.

Tell me what you guys think!
I'll be more than willing to upload several of my other composed songs.

Mean Mr Mustard
03-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice job on this. The intro and the chorus both sound really great with that Sitar and everything, really comes together nice. The verse parts, while really well-written were a bit boring though. Id recommend varying the rhythm up a bit, maybe throw in some dotted notes or triplets, you know? The Verse as it is is a little too bland to me. Maybe the vocals would help it out though. I also thought that the second verse shouldve been different from the first one. I wouldve changed the first section of Verse 2 and then kept the second section of Verse 2 the same (the part at bar 77).

Also, the Bridge at 133 and the outro were both great as well. So yeah, basically it was all well written, just the verse was the only part that let me down. Lastly, the strings were dissapointing. It looks like you nearly copied and pasted the guitar track into the strings. While this sounds okay, it could be much better. If you have just a single powerchord, try adding in the octaves to give it a fuller sound, because strings can get away with playing fingerings that would be hard to do on guitar.

But anyways, besides that, its all good, solid bass and drum work too. Great job. You could crit a song in my sig if you have the time.

Majin Gaara
03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Id recommend varying the rhythm up a bit, maybe throw in some dotted notes or triplets, you know? The Verse as it is is a little too bland to me. Maybe the vocals would help it out though. I also thought that the second verse shouldve been different from the first one. I wouldve changed the first section of Verse 2 and then kept the second section of Verse 2 the same (the part at bar 77).

I find it very funny and ironic that I'm such a advocated of writing music and such that stays interesting and fresh and dosen't repeat too much to the point where the piece stays stagnant. Seems I have made that mistake here, haha. :rolleyes:

Basically, when writing I was wanting to keep the verses the same because I wanted to have simplicity for the guitars while the rhythm section drove the band.
But yes I appreciate your critiquing. There could definitely use some variation in melody or structure.

Also, the Bridge at 133 and the outro were both great as well. So yeah, basically it was all well written, just the verse was the only part that let me down. Lastly, the strings were dissapointing. It looks like you nearly copied and pasted the guitar track into the strings. While this sounds okay, it could be much better. If you have just a single powerchord, try adding in the octaves to give it a fuller sound, because strings can get away with playing fingerings that would be hard to do on guitar.

But anyways, besides that, its all good, solid bass and drum work too. Great job. You could crit a song in my sig if you have the time.

The strings I purposely copied most of the guitar because when I wrote the strings for that song I wasn't trying to add another part. Just another timbre to give the guitar parts more life, and make them stand out a little bigger. Plus, I wanted the strings to follow closely what the guitars were doing because them being locked-in is the sound I was wanting to go for.

Altering the part and or rewriting would be an interesting concept; One I'll look into for sure! Thank you for your points!

I will gladly critique a few of your pieces :liplick:

Joshua1207
03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I like the intro, reminds me of the desert. The first verse was kind of lame. I didn't really like the guitar riff, but the vibe stayed the same, for the most part. Same with verse B. I did like the chorus though, got back to the same cool sound of the intro. I like that the vibe stays the same through out the whole song pretty much. The slides are probably the best part of the verse, for me at least.
Bridge A was awesome. Almost sounded more like a guitar solo to me. Bridge B was nice too, little softer than the first bridge, but thats okay. I like softer stuff. Riff change was okay, nothing exciting though. I'm starting to like the verse more as it gets repeated through the song. Didn't care for the outro. I mean it wasn't bad, but not really sure what I expected to be honest.
Overall I enjoyed the song. Liked the vibe a lot from it. Keep up the good work.

I'd be grateful if you could critic my song http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419537