How did you get your tour van?

PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your tour van?

guitarinchris
03-09-2011, 11:55 PM
My band has been plagued with van issues. We keep destroying them on tour. One van per tour has been our motto as of late. We don't spend money on a quality van because we have such high gas prices/recording costs/promotional costs. Should probably switch our priorities.

Anyways, I'm curious - how did your band get it's tour van? Did you all pool your own money? Gig money? Borrow? Rent? Post!

ShortSpaceWAng
03-10-2011, 12:14 AM
rent a Uhual and then a shitty used Van;) Best way im telling ya.
all the equipment in the uhual, and then take out the back seats in the van and put a matress down !! ;)

nightwindelf88
03-10-2011, 01:02 AM
rent a Uhual and then a shitty used Van;) Best way im telling ya.
all the equipment in the uhual, and then take out the back seats in the van and put a matress down !! ;)

This. Except for the part about a shitty used van. Get yourself a U Haul trailer if someone has a truck that can haul it. Take a couple people in the truck, everyone else in another car.

scguitarking927
03-10-2011, 01:55 AM
we got lucky and our drummer had an old travel trailer that his family wasn't using, had a bed in it a sink and a toilet. there was enough room for another sleeping bag on the ground, then we had a truck towing it with a top on the bed. So you figure two people in the trailer. one person sleeping in the truck bed and then one in both seats of the truck. and we traveled like that too lol, two people cramped in a tiny trailer and the other in the bed of the truck with all the equipment.

had some friends that just took two cars, granted they were honda civics and got 40ish mpg, pretty much out weighed the cost of having to pay gas for a truck. More room that way too.

axemanchris
03-10-2011, 08:19 AM
A U-Haul trailer is a better idea for gear. U-Haul vehicles and such sound cheap until you start getting dinged for mileage over their regular daily allowance, which is always something stupid, like 20 miles or something. And then it gets *really* expensive.

CT

asator
03-12-2011, 10:54 AM
We just toured in a 2 door hatchback last week. Never again.

Punk_Ninja
03-12-2011, 12:48 PM
We just toured in a 2 door hatchback last week. Never again.

Oh god...

I hate going to band practices in a 2 door hatchback with one other member of the band!
I feel sorry for you man! :p:

(luckily my bassist is getting a bigger 5 door car in a couple of days so my woes are over! :p: )

Anyway to add to the topic, U-Hauls do seem a good idea as you won't need to worry about breakdowns and stuff.
My band's not had to tour yet (and if we dd we'd probably do it out of cars to be honest) but if a van would be in immediate need I'm lucky that my Dad has a 3 metre Merc Sprinter which would easily do the job.

kangaxxter
03-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I own a mini-van, specifically a black 2000 Chrysler Town and Country. It's not great, but it gets me places. Plus there's enough room for my entire band and all our equipment, comfortably (well, it's comfortable for me cause I'm the one who drives it!! :D )

asator
03-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Oh god...

I hate going to band practices in a 2 door hatchback with one other member of the band!
I feel sorry for you man! :p:

(luckily my bassist is getting a bigger 5 door car in a couple of days so my woes are over! :p: )

Anyway to add to the topic, U-Hauls do seem a good idea as you won't need to worry about breakdowns and stuff.
My band's not had to tour yet (and if we dd we'd probably do it out of cars to be honest) but if a van would be in immediate need I'm lucky that my Dad has a 3 metre Merc Sprinter which would easily do the job.
To be fair it was only a 2 date tour, and our bassist didn't come with us on one of the dates. But still. 4 of us drove from Edinburgh to Manchester and back to Aberdeen with 2 guitars and a bass, a guitar head, a bass head, a snare, a rack tom, cymbals, a bunch of stands, boxes of merch and CDs etc plus our bags full of clothes and sleeping bags etc. And we slept in the car. 2 nights. Worth it, but not a huge amount of fun.

axemanchris
03-12-2011, 04:39 PM
For God's sake, folks. Play safe. I know (knew) someone who was killed because he wasn't wearing a seat-belt in his tour van.

No gig is worth dying for.

CT

'93
03-13-2011, 05:20 AM
so how did you guys shower and stuff...or you just didnt?

cos if you go on tour for a month thats just...

AlanHB
03-13-2011, 06:55 AM
so how did you guys shower and stuff...or you just didnt?

cos if you go on tour for a month thats just...

Oh this one is easy.

If you guys ever need a shower, and don't have a place to stay, just drive into a campground and act like you're meant to be there. Have a shower at the communal shower blocks then get in the car and leave. I have done this many, many times.

Edit: But if you're not as dodgy as me other options include going to the gym, paying for a session, having a shower/shave and leaving, or public pools and doing the same.

axemanchris
03-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Sponge bath in the bathroom sink at Denny's.

CT

Punk_Ninja
03-13-2011, 11:15 AM
To be fair it was only a 2 date tour, and our bassist didn't come with us on one of the dates. But still. 4 of us drove from Edinburgh to Manchester and back to Aberdeen with 2 guitars and a bass, a guitar head, a bass head, a snare, a rack tom, cymbals, a bunch of stands, boxes of merch and CDs etc plus our bags full of clothes and sleeping bags etc. And we slept in the car. 2 nights. Worth it, but not a huge amount of fun.

That'd kill me!

I was in a similar situation for once gig (though one less person and none of the drum gear) and was crammed in the back wth amps on top of me.
It was only a half hour drive though, I'd hate to be in that situation!

Though I guess when there's no alternative you have to!

asator
03-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Yeah, after being like that for a while you get used to it, and we just had to cram as much stuff as possbile in the boot. Sleeping was easily the worst part.

As for showers, none of us had that privelage (we were only away for 2 and a half days, not too bad) but we saw a service station shower we could have paid to use. We didn't have time though and it was probably extortionate. Was pretty funny having some guy walk into the toilets at Tesco in Carlisle or somewhere and see 4 of us in a row at the sinks brushing our teeth though.

Zycho
03-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Took my dad's truck. Normally we drive our drummer's shitty mini-van but there wasn't a chance in hell it was gonna survive a week on the road.