Classic Rock's Band of the Week

PDA

View Full Version : Classic Rock's Band of the Week

guitarted
10-14-2004, 01:52 PM
JETHRO TULL

Original members:
Ian Anderson; vocals, concert and bamboo flute.
Clive Bunker; drums.
Glenn Cornick; bass.
Mick Abrams; guitar.

http://www.j-tull.com/press/pressphotos/lowres/68lineup.jpg

Members now:
Ian Anderson; vocals, acoustic guitar, concert and bamboo flutes.
Martin Barre; guitar.
Andrew Giddings; keyboards.
Jonathan Noyce; bass.
Doane Perry; drums, percussion.

http://www.j-tull.com/press/pressphotos/lowres/band2001.jpg

Discography:

This Was (1968)
Stand Up (1969)
Benefit (1970)
Aqualung (1971)
Thick as a brick (1972)
A Passion play (1973)
War child (1974)
Minstrel in the Gallery (1975)
Songs from the Wood (1976)
Too old to rock and roll: too young to die (1976)
Heavy horses (1978)
Stormwatch (1979)
A (1980)
The broadsword and the beast (1982)
Under wraps (1984)
Crest of a knave (1987)
Rock island (1989)
Roots to branches (1995)
J-tull dot com (1999)
The Jethro Tull Christmas album (2003)

Jethro Tull was a very innovative band in the late sixties-early seventies.
The band had very unusual instruments for the period being used in their
Hits. Most memorable of those hits are Aqualung, Cross-eyed Mary and
Locomotive breath. They did a show with greats such as Jimi Hendrix, B.B
King, John Lee Hooker and Bob Dylan in Florida. They also did a tour of
Europe with Jimi Hendrix and Donovan.

RMR101
10-21-2004, 01:42 PM
http://www.hotshotdigital.com/WellAlwaysRemember/LynyrdSkynyrd.Images/lynyrd.jpg

"If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me"

Those are the ominous words that Ronnie Van Zant wrote in tribute to Duane Allman on the epic skynyrd song "freebird". Little did he know that one day those words would be sung in tribute to him.

Formed in 1964 by Jacksonville Florida's Robert E. Lee High School pals Ronnie Van Zant (vocals), Allen Collins (guitar), Gary Rossington (guitar) Larry Junstorm (bass), & Bob Burns (drums), the band originally called themselves "My Backyard". Other names the band had over the next few years included "The Noble Five", "Conqueror Worm", "Sons Of Satan", "The Wildcats", & finally "The One Percent" which they kept for several years. After adding bassist Leon Wilkinson & Keyboardist Billy Powell in 1970, they decided on the name "Lynyrd Skynyrd". A kind of mocking tribute to the boys high school gym teacher Leonard Skinner, who was notorious for hating & disciplining "long haired hippy types" (which eventually led to them dropping out of school). The story goes that during a 1970 local gig while playing as "The One Percent" Ronnie yelled out to the crowd "Hey, we're Leonard Skinner and we're gonna play for y'all tonight". Since most of the crowd was local, they all knew who the infamous Leonard Skinner was and the name stuck. Rossington has went on to say that the vowels were changed "to protect the guilty".

Now that they had an official name & following Lynyrd Skynyrd began playing all over the south attaining little success. But in 1972 the band signed to MCA records after producer Al Kooper saw them play in the atlanta club "Funocchio's". Kooper produced the bands debut album, the amazing "Prounounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd". The album featured the addition of guitarist Ed King, formally of Strawberry Alarm Clock (famous for their 60's psychadelic hit "Incense & Peppermints"). The three guitar army was born.

Opening with the pounding rock of "I ain't the one", ending with the epic "freebird", and jam packed with such classic songs as "tuesday's gone", "simple man", "Gimmee three steps" & "Thing's Goin' On". Pronounced is arguably one of the finest debut albums ever laid to wax. "Freebird", now the group's most famous song was also the song that launched their career as it quickly became a staple on album rock stations nationwide at the time. Even now freebird holds the record as the most requested song on radio (followed closely by Led Zeppelin's equally epic "Stairway to Heaven"). Showcasing the infamous triple guitar assault, Freebird was written by Van Zant as a tribute to Duane Allman of The Allman Brothers Band, who had recently died in a motorcycle crash.

The success of Freebird landed Skynyrd the opening slot on The Who's 1973 "Quadrophenia" tour. The audience their to see The Who didn't quite know what to think of skynyrd, but some have went on to say that their show was better than the who's....which is saying alot. After the tour Skynyrd now had a devoted following, which led to the success of their second album...1974's "Second Helping". The album featuring such classic tracks as "Sweet Home Alabama", "Workin' For MCA", "Ballad of Curtis Loew", "The Needle & The Spoon", & JJ Cale's "Call Me The Breeze", went multi platinum and reached #12 in the US charts.

Album sales were driven mostly by the hit single "sweet home alabama". A rockin' little number written by Van Zant after the band spent quite a bit of time in alabama at the mussle shoals recording studio. Van Zant wanted the song to be about the real people in alabama, not the ones heard about on the news like Alabama governor George Wallace. The song included the line "Well I heard Mr. Young sing about her, Well I heard ol' Neil put her down, well I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow". This line was in response to the Neil Young songs "Alabama" & "Southern Man" which Van Zant felt unfairly painted a stigmatic picture on the real people of alabama. In truth Van Zant & all of skynyrd were huge Neil Young fans, and Ronnie and Neil were actually good friends. Neil Young went on to be a Pall Bearer in Ronnie's funeral and wrote the song "powderfinger" before the plane crash for skynyrd to record.

By the end of 1974, Ed King & Bob Burns both left the band. With Artimus Pyle joining the band taking over the role of drummer. This new line-up released the album "Nuthin' Fancy" in 1975. Featuring the Skynyrd Classics "Saturday Night Special", "On The Hunt", & "Whiskey Rock-a-Roller" the album became a top 10 hit. The band released the album "Gimme Back My Bullets" the next year. Featuring the title track, "Double Trouble", & "Searchin'", the album did not match the success of their other albums. But the band kept gaining a following through constant touring and by adding the hot shot guitarist Steve Gaines to the mix. Steve Gaines, who was skynyrd background singer Cassie Gaine's brother, was featured on the 1976 Double Live Album "One More From The Road". This album became skynyrd's second Top 10 Album.

With the bands success rising and the band newly energized thanks to the addition of Steve Gaines, they recorded & released the album "Street Survivors" on October 17, 1977. This album featured the Skynyrd classics "What's Your Name", "That Smell", "I Know A Little", & "You Got That Right" but is more famously known for it's album art which featured the band surrounded in flames. Three days after the realease of this album, on October 20th, 1977 the band would crash in a privately charted plane flying from Greenville, SC to Baton Rouge, LA. This horrible crash claimed the lives of Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, & Cassie Gaines.

http://www.hotshotdigital.com/WellAlwaysRemember/LynyrdSkynyrd.Images/lynyshow.gif

According to the NTSB report the amount of fuel was miscalculated by the pilots of the airplane when they left Lakeland, Florida on October 18, 1977. When the plane was refueled in Greenville, South Carolina on the 20th, they compounded this error by believing they had more fuel than they really did. During the flight, the airplane experienced some mechanical difficulties which required the right engine to be operated in the "auto-rich" position which burned fuel at an excessive rate. The combination of these problems resulted in nearly complete fuel exhaustion. The pilots changed course and headed for an airport near McComb, Mississippi but the plane stalled near Gillsburg, Mississippi and crashed in the swampy woods.

After this tragedy, the flames on the cover of the Street Survivors album were removed and it became one band's biggest selling albums. The band broke up after the crash released the posthumous albums "Skynyrd's First And...Last" in 1978 (featuring the tracks "Down South Jukin'", "Was I Right Or Wrong", & "Comin' Home"), and the double compilation album "Gold & Platinum" in 1980.

And that is where the story should end, but...

Later in 1980 the remaining members of the band got together to formed The Rossington Collins Band to mild success. Also in 1982 Artimus Pyle formed the Artimus Pyle Band to even milder success. In 1986 tragedy struck again when Collins was in a car crash that killed his girlfriend and left him paralyzed from the chest down. He died of respitory failure 4 years later on January 3rd 1990. In 1987 Gary Rossington, Billy Powell, Ed King, & Leon Wilkison reunited Lynyrd Skynyrd adding guitarist Randall Hall. Ronnie Van Zant's younger brother Johnny Van Zant (formerly vocalist for ".38 Special") was chosen to take over vocalist duties.....what big shoes he had to fill. The Newly formed Lynyrd Skynyrd embarked on a reunion tour, which was captured and released in 1988 as the double live album "Southern by the Grace of God/Lynyrd Skynyrd Tribute Tour - 1987".

The reformed Skynyrd began recording new material in 1991 and released new albums and touring throughout the 90's frequently changing drummers. Also during the 90's the members of Skynyrd were made honorary Colonels in the Alabama State Militia. Sometime in the mid 90's Ed King retired from the band due to heart problems and former "Blackfoot" frontman (and briefly Skynyrd's drummer in 1971) Rickey Medlocke joined Skynyrd on guitar, as did former member of "The Outlaws" Hughie Thomasson with former "Damn Yankee" Michael Cartellone taking over the drum seat. This line-up is considered the pinnacle of "new" Skynyrd and went on to release the albums "Twenty" in 1997, "Lyve From Steeltown" in 1998, "Edge Of Forever" in 1999, and "Christmas Time Again" in 2000.

Tragedy struck again for skynyrd when on July 27th 2001 bassist Leon Wilkison was found dead in his Point Vedra Beach Florida hotel room. Skynyrd continues to tour and have recently released the albums "Vicous Cycle" and the complete skynyrd retrospective "Thyrty". Currently Gary Rossington & Billy Powell are the only members of the original Skynyrd line-up still playing in the band. The other members of the current line-up are: bassist Ean Evans, guitarist Rickey Medlocke, guitarist Hughie Thomasson, Johnny Van Zant on vocals, and Michael Cartellone on drums. With Dale Krantz Rossington (from the Rossington Collins Band) and Carol Chase singing the background vocals.

Recommended Listening
Any album of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd. These include
Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd
Second Helping
Nuthin' Fancy
Gimme Back My Bullets
One More From The Road
Street Survivors
Skynyrd's First And...Last
Legend

If you want to get into skynyrd I reccomend you pickup the album "All Time Greatest Hits" which is a great starting point for a new fan.

Websites
www.lynyrdskynyrd.com
www.skynyrd.com

Jethro Floyd
10-29-2004, 06:34 AM
This Band of the Week Article
Is Dedicated to
The Memory of Freddie Mercury
September 5th, 1946 - November 24th, 1991

The man?
The voice?
The legend.....

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/randompic/live_aid.jpg

Queen Is (Line-Up Never Changed):
Freddie Mercury - Vocals
Brian May - Guitar
John Deacon - Bass
Roger Taylor - Drums

NOTE: Brian May sings on a few songs including '39' and 'Good Company', as well as a brief section in 'I Want It All'. Roger Taylor sings on 'In Love With My Car'.

DISCOGRAPHY:
Queen
Queen II
Sheer Heart Attack
A Night at the Opera
A Day at the Races
News of the World
Jazz
Live Killers
The Game
Flash Gordon (Soundtrack)
Greatest Hits
Hot Space
The Works
A Kind of Magic
Live Magic
The Miracle
Innuendo
Greatest Hits II
Live At Wembley Stadium, 86'
Made In Heaven
Queen Rocks

http://www.freddie.ru:8080/img/disco/queen/anato.jpg
Queen - A Night At The Opera Era

Queen, the band - was formed with Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon - all multi-talented musicians. They struck with the excellent debut 'Queen', and then really came out swinging with the sophomore knockout 'Queen II' - a fan favorite, but critcally unacclaimed work of art. It featured the thunder epic 'March of the Black Queen', and the monsterously heavy 'Ogre Battle'. Their next effort, 'Sheer Heart Attack' was another fast and furious effort from Queen. But they really hit gold with their epic, critcally praised and flawless record 'A Night at the Opera' - featuring thundering, heavy, majestical efforts like 'The Prophets Song' with excellent vocal dynamics, and the classic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' - Queen's most popular song. The album was very diverse, from metal (Death on Two Legs), to Folk (39), to straight up rock (Sweet Lady), to rag-time, jazzy, 1930's piano music (Seaside Rondevoux). Their next effort, A Day at the Races - was also a great album, but did not measure up to 'A Night at the Opera'. 'News of The World' was Queen, minus the grandiose, majestical atmosphere the previous albums had beared. It was straight forward. 'We Will Rock You' and 'We Are the Champions' because two of the biggest Queen songs, along with the thundering 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. 'Jazz' - a severely underrated Queen release, was next - featuring the campy, fun, rock and roll of 'Bicycle Race', and the catchy riffs and classic vocal intro to 'Fat Bottomed Girls'. A truly great, underrated album. 'Live Killers' was Queen's first live album, and a killer (*no pun inteneded*) one, at that. Although it would not measure up to some of their later live efforts, it is still a great release with a fast, thrashy version of 'We Will Rock You', and an excellent live acoustic/vocal rendition of 'Love of My Life'. They came back into the studio realeasing 'The Game', and then were featured on the Flash Gordon soundtrack. Their next album, 'Hot Space' would feature some great guitar work, with May's signature 'Guitar Orchestra'. 'Under Pressure' became another huge hit, especially in England - and featured David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, anyone?) doing vocals, along with - of course - Freddie. 'Innuendo' is another classic release, featuring some excellent songs such as the haunting 'I'm Going Slightly Mad'. 'Live At Wembley Stadium 86'' Is one of the great live recording of all time, with thundering, grandiose renditions of all the song - not to mention the version of 'Under Pressure' which completely conquers the original. 'Made In Heaven' was sadly their last effort, with Freddie belting out the vocals - which is amazing since right after the album was done being recorded - he fell victim to aids.

To Stop All Questions: Freddie was a homosexual, and the rest of the band was straight. But this should not effect your opinion on their music, because they are a simply amazing band, from Queen to Made in Heaven.
Currently, Brian May and the rest of Queen are producing a stage show featuring all Queen music called 'We Will Rock You'. Hopefully, it will come to America.

Queen are a truly amazing band. Their musical talent and compositional arrangements are out of this world, and are majestic, catchy and awe-inspiring, all at the same time. They all wrote excellent lyrics, and all wrote excellent lyrics. They wrote come of the most famous instrumental riffs of all time, in songs like Bohemian Rhapsody (Keyboard), Another One Bites the Dust & Under Pressure (Bass), We Will Rock You (Guitar). All of their albums are great, and they just made excellent music. The music will live on. Rest In Peace - Freddie. You are missed??

http://www.freddie.ru:8080/img/disco/queen/queen2.jpg

Reccomended listening (personal favorite Queen albums)
- Queen II
- A Night at the Opera
- Jazz
- Live At Wembley
- Innuendo

Jimi444
11-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Band-The Doors

http://www.thedoors.ch/images/doorssetpic.jpg

Members:
Jim Morrison-Singer
Ray Manzerek-Keyboard
Robby Krieger-Guitar
John Densmore-The Drummer

The Legend goes that Jim Morrison was walking down Venice Beach in California, when he meet his college buddy Ray Manzerek. They talked awhile then Jim told Ray that he was writing lyrics and Ray told him to sing him some of his poems. So Jim sung him "Moonlight Drive" and after he was finished Ray said "those were the greatest lyrics i have every heard, lets start a rock band and make millions".

After awhile of searching Jim and Ray found the rest of the members of The Doors. Ray Manzerek, a classically trained Pianist, raised in Chicago with a deep love for the Blues. Jim Morrison was a greatly influenced by the ninetenth century peot Arthur Rimbaud and he dutifully imparted Rimbaud's philosophy to the group. Robby Krieger, a songwriting secret weapon who could play any guitar and John Densmore, a jazz drummer with an unbeatable shamanic rythm and thearical timing. Together they form one of the greatest bands of all time, The Doors.

The Doors were jamming one day when, Robby Krieger showed everyone the song he made called "Light My Fire". "You know that it would be untrue, you know that I would be a liar. If i was to say to you, girl we could get much higher. Come on baby light my fire, come on baby light my fire, try to set the night on fire. The time to hesitate is through, no time to wollow in the mire. Try now we could only lose and our love become a funeral pyre. Come on baby light my fire, come on baby light my fire, try to set the night on fire, hay. Jim worked on the lyrics a bit, Robby made one of the best solos of classic rock, Ray made the keyboard anthem of the 60's. Put them together and you have one of the greatest songs ever written.

The Doors started playing at bars like The Whisky Bar and The Go-Go, when Jim just started playing at the bars he would have to face the wall, because he was to scared to face the crowd and sing. The Doors got kicked out of the whisky Bar, because Jim said mother i want to **** you in "The End". The Group signed to Elektra Records in July of 1966, by Jac Holzman the founder. They finished their self-titled debut "The Doors", in 1966 but it didn't get released until 1967. A few weeks later Jim Morrson told the group that "Light My Fire" was #1 on the Billboard charts. They did it , they finally reached stardom.

While The Doors were on top of the charts they were invited to play on The Ed Sullivan Show, and The Doors accepted. When they were getting ready to go out and play "light My Fire", for the rehearsal. Ed Sullivans step son came in and said that he loved the song "Light My Fire" but we have an issue with the line girl we couldn't get much higher, if you could change that, that would be super. And Jim asked "what do we change it to", and he said "that i don't know you are the poet". So Jim said to the rest of the members of the band when Ed Sullivans step son left that "we are going to sing the edited version when we do the rehearsal, but when we get on tv, we are going to say the real thing. So when they got out there and when Jim said "girl we couldn't get much higher, and Ed Sullivan tweeked and told him that he was never coming back on again. And Jim just said that we just forgot, in all the excitment. One of the greatest moments in rock n roll, that night.

That year The Doors were the hottest band out at there, they were said to be the next Beatles. Their first album "The Doors", went gold and was voted the second best album of 1967, behind Sgt. Pepper. Later that year they started working on their next album "Strange Days", with smashing hit "People Are Strange". "people are strange, when your a stranger. Faces look ugly, when your along. Women seem wicked, when your unwanted. Streets are uneven when your down".

You may think that this was Jim Morrisons best time of his life, but he was miserable. He was becoming a huge alcohlic, and he was getting into a little drugs to. Jim was alwas fasinated with death and it was starting to show, just listen to the song "the End". "This is the end, beatiful friend. This is the end, my only friend the end". Even with all of that, he went on tour in Europe in 1968. They went with Jefferson Airplane (who Jim hated their music, because he said that they put no heart into their music".

After the tour The Doors went back to work on their third album "Soft Parade". With the hit "Touch Me", it was another huge hit for The Doors. All was looking good until miami happened. It was like any other night, The Doors got on stage and played "Break On Through (To The Other Side). But right in the middle of their next song Jim screamed "wait a minute, wait one ****ing minute. You are all a bunch of ****ing slaves". And than Robby started playing "Touch Me", then Jim went "come on, come on, no wait one ****ing minute". and went on until the end were he really got into trouble he said "do you want to see my penis" and pulled it out.

After that night their was a arrest warrant for Jim Morrison, he was being charged with "public drunkeness, Public Masterbation, Simulating Oral Sex (to Robby Kriegers guitar), using profanity in public and indecant exposure. If he was found guilty he could serve 10 years in jail. Jim Morrisons Lawyer tried to do everything he could, he said that Jim was just doing his it as a part of his act. The charge for public drunkeness was ironically drunk, because when asked a question in court about the night he said that he was to drunk to remember. He was charged with using profanity in public and indecant exposure and was charged with three years of prison, plus a 500 dollar fine. Jim was let out on bail of 50,000 dollars for his appeal.

During his trial The Doors fourth album came out "Morrison Hotel", the the song Peace Frog. Peace Frog is about a time when Jim and his family, were driving down the road when they came upon a indian crash where there were indians dieing and one died right by Jim Morrisons window and he clamed that when the indian died its soul went in Jim. "Idians scattered across the highway bleeding, the ghost crowds the childs fragile eggshell mind. Blood in the streets in the town of new haven, blood stains the roots and the palm trees of venice".

During Jim Morrisons appeal, they made their fifth and final album. LA Women, with such classic hits as LA Women, and their biggest hit off the album Riders On The Storm. Finally The Doors make a blues album. But this album marks the end of the band, because before it's being sold in stores The Doors break-up. After they break up Jim goes to visit His wife Pamela, in France. Until they go to their house in Paris, where Jim dies in 1971. No one knows how Jim Morrison died, mybe that is the mistery of the rock world.

Sources Used:
No one here gets out alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman
http://thedoors.8k.com

Cirrus Minor
11-12-2004, 09:37 PM
http://www.simon-and-garfunkel.com/simon&garf.jpg

Band:
Simon and Garfunkel

Members:
Paul Simon- vocals, guitar
Art Garfunkel- vocals, piano

Discography:
Wednesday Morning, 3A.M. (1964)
Sounds of Silence (1965)
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (1966)
Bookends (1968)
Bridge of Troubled Water (1970)
Concert in Central Park (1982)

Biography:

?And the sign said "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls?.And whispered in the sounds of silence?
Few can say they are not emotionally stirred by the solemn lyrics of the ?Sounds of Silence.?
Or can say they have not walked down a corridor humming the intro to ?America?
Even fewer can say they have not sung aloud with the melodic chorus of ?Mrs. Robinson?

These are the works of folk titans Simon and Garfunkel, key musicians of the dynamic and musically rich 60?s. This duet has had a profound influence on me and has been a cornerstone of my musical interest. To my dismay, I have seen little reference to Simon and Garfunkel and hopefully I will give you some knowledge of the band and maybe you?ll find yourself a hopeless aficionado like myself. :D

Paul and Art were born in Forest Hill, New York and attended school together. In 1957 as juniors in Forest Hills High School, both aspiring musicians began to play together, under the name ?Tom and Jerry?. In 1958, the blossoming band broke into the Billboard Charts with ?Hey Schoolgirl? as #49. Their subsequent efforts under their record label, Big Records were not as successful however. The two men went on to college in New York City and reunited with a shared interest in the folk-rock scene along with the legend Bob Dylan. On October 19, 1964, Simon and Garfunkel released their first full length album, ?Wednesday 3A.M?. Unfortunately, the debut did not sell and Paul moved to England marking the second breakup of the band.

Paul Simon recorded the obscure, often unheard of album titled, ?The Paul Simon Song Book? in 1965 with just his voice and acoustic guitar. As much as it pains me, I do not own this album?Meanwhile, Tom Wilson (American producer) spiced up the ?Sounds of Silence? with an electric guitar and powerful drumming. The song climbed into the top 40 and much to the surprise of the band, they had achieved a new level of stardom.

Paul Simon had returned to America and the band was once again under way, which proceeded to release a slew of successful singles and several records that have served as a reference point to the entire genre. Wednesday Morning 3A.M. was re-released and snatched the #30 spot. Simon and Garfunkel then released the album the ?Sounds of Silence? which rocked the United States with singles like the title track, ?I am a Rock, "Leaves That Are Green", "April Come She Will", and "Kathy's Song". In 1966 the album released ?Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme? which is hideously underrated and furthered their ascent to immortality.

In 1967, the duo recorded the soundtrack for the Dustin Hoffman classic, ?The Graduate? which claimed the top spot on the album charts. The following year, Simon and Garfunkel followed their success with ?Bookends?, a strikingly strong and mature album.

The band was beginning to feel the tensions of superstardom and recording the next album become frustratingly difficult. Art Garfunkel had begun to pursue a career in acting, and starred in Catch-22 (please see the movie, or read the book-my favorite :)). It also didn?t help that Paul did not receive a part in the film?. The next year of touring did not bode well, and their final album ?Bridge over Troubled Water? was delayed. The album nevertheless was a mammoth success and a memorable farewell for the band. The album sold millions and the singles (?Bridge over Troubled Water?, El Condor Pasa", "Cecilia", "The Boxer") also fared equally well. Simon and Garfunkel broke up later in 1970.

Paul Simon went on to have a fantastic solo career, and Art wavered between music and theater, but was largely unrecognized. In 1981, the band performed the legendary concert in Central Park, attended by over 500,000. (The DVD is a great buy). Up till the present, they occasional regrouped a toured and were inducted into the Rock n? Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

Simon and Garfunkel have given the world first class music for nearly half a century and are still selling albums. The beautiful and intricate harmonies, the soaring tenor vocals, and the soft acoustic guitar will ring in history for as long as there is music to celebrate. (Me at my most poetic, yet not quite Simonesque yet)

Rock on fellow UGers

Sites Used:
www.simonandgarfunkel.com
www.wikipedia.org

SoulStripper7
11-19-2004, 04:22 PM
http://www.crabsodyinblue.com/acdcpicture0009.jpg
(Band with Bon Scott)
http://www.crabsodyinblue.com/acdcpicture0008.jpg
(Band with Brian Johnson)

Lineups(1973-Present)
Vocals: Dave Evans(1973-1974)
Dennis Laughlin(1974)
Bon Scott(1974-1980)
Brian Johnson(1980-Present)

Lead Guitar: Angus Young(1973-Present)
Malcolm Young(1973-1974)

Rhythm Guitar: Malcolm Young(1973-Present)
Stevie Young(1988)

Drums: Colin Burgess(1973-1974)
Noel Taylor(1974)
Peter Clack(1974-1975)
Tony Currenti(1974-1975)
Phil Rudd(1975-1983)
Simon Wright(1983-1989)
Chris Slade(1990-1994)
Phil Rudd(1995-Present)

Bass: Larry van Kreidt(1973-1974)
Neil Smith(1974)
Rob Bailey(1974-1975)
Larry van Kriedt(1975)
George Young(1975)
Malcolm Young(1975)
Mark Evans(1975-1977)
Cliff Williams(1977-Present)

Discography:
High Voltage(oz)--1975
T.N.T.(oz)---1975
High Voltage---1976
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap(oz)---1976
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap---1976
Let There Be Rock---1977
Powerage---1978
If You Want Blood, You've Got It---1978
Highway to Hell---1979
Back in Black---1980
For Those About To Rock, We Salute You---1981
Flick of the Switch---1983
'74 Jailbreak---1984
Fly On The Wall---1985
Who Made Who---1986
Blow Up Your Video---1988
The Razor's Edge---1990
Ballbreaker---1995
Bonfire---1997
Stiff Upper Lip---2000

Biography:

AC/DC was formed in 1973 by Malcolm Young with his little brother, Angus Young. Malcolm was thinking about having a keyboardist instead of a guitar player, but he changed his mind when he heard Angus playing guitar in the room down the hall. Going through various lineups practically every few weeks, they finally settled on the lineup of Malcolm Young, Angus Young, Bon Scott, Mark Evans, and Phil Rudd. They played an average of 3 gigs a day, at schools, bars, the works. They made a move in 1974 to Melbourne to a grungy little house which was filled with days of debachery. They moved to London, and they toured alot through Britian. This lasted for about 2-3 years, when Angus and Mark had a bad falling out, due to a personality clash between the two. So Mark jumped ship, and they hired Cliff Williams, who managed to stay in the fray from then to the present. They were gaining popularity in America by now, for they had just finally came there in 1977. However, tragedy stuck in 1980 when their charismatic lead singer, Bon Scott, was found in the back of a friend's car dead, seemingly to have choked on his own vomit after a night of consuming about 7 double whiskeys. No one was sure if they would continue. Then like a phoenix out of a fire, they came back...in black. Now with Brian Johnson leading the group, they made their amazing hard-rocking album Back in Black, with an all black cover, in tribute to the late Bon Scott. His vocals were similar, but not the same to Bon Scott. Vicious, loud and leering, Brian Johnson seemed to be a perfect fit into AC/DC. However, because of the rise of the fad of Hair Metal, their albums weren't selling...or not to the numbers of what they had grown accustomed to. In 1983, Malcolm and Phil had an extremely horrible decaying of their relationship. No one is quite sure what happens, but I have heard that it was because Phil made advances on Malcolm's wife. So he was out after a fist fist erupted between the two. They got Simon Wright, who was only 20 years old, to go behind the drum kit. He did this until about 1989 where he said he was going to do a thing with Dio. This was about the time that Brian was having a divorce. Due to this, Angus and Malcolm said they would write the lyrics, and they have done so since. When The Razor's Edge came out, they finally were back on top again, with great hits such as Thunderstruck or Moneytalks. They toured alot after this, and they played two very memorable shows: one at Castle Donington, and the other at the Tushino Airfield in Moscow, Russia, to honour the new government in Russia, and those who died in the coup. They took a break after this, and that's when rumours started to come up about the band's break up or whatever. But they two new surprises. One was their new album, Ballbreaker, and the other was that Phil Rudd was back in the band. Two years after thi,s they released a boxed set called Bonfire, which had cds of Live at Atlantic Studios, Live At Paris soundtrack, Back in Black, and Volts, which contained some outtakes and a few of Bon Scott's favourite songs by them. In 2000, they came out with Stiff Upper Lip, which went way back to their roots, being an extremely bluesy album. Last year, in 2003, AC/DC played a show with various artists, all of which were opening for The Rolling Stones. This took place in Toronto, and it was because of travel services and such were declining because of the SARS outbeak there. Angus and Malcolm even jammed with them on one of their songs. They went on tour with them also during 2003. We're now awaiting their next studio release, which is due out next year.

Sites used:
www.ac-dc.net/
w1.111.telia.com/~u11102242/riffraffhome.htm
www.crabsodyinblue.com/

Matty Ramone
11-26-2004, 03:50 AM
http://www.bandboston.com/bostonlogobig.gif
http://www.bandboston.com/_images/BostonPromo.jpg

Current band memebers

Tom Scholz, Kimberley Dahem, Brad Delp
Fran Cosmos, Anthony Cosmos,
Gary Phil, Jeff Neal

Discography
Boston-1976, 17 million sold and counting
Dont Look Back-1978, 7 million
Third Stage-1986 only #1 hit Amanada
Walk On-1994
Greatest hits-1997
Corporate America-2002

Brief History:

Well where to begin? When one talks about Boston, there's only one place to start and end and that's Tom Scholz. Tom Scholz is literally a musical genius who was born on March 10, 1947, in Toledo, Ohio. He went to MIT and has a Masters in mechanical engineering. He worked for Polaroid as a product engineer and is a little bit of an inventor with a bunch of patents, including Powersoak and the Rockman. Tom also does a lot of charity work for a number of organizations.

Boston's debut album was totaly created in Tom Scholz's home basement recording studio. Tom did everything. All the writing, producing, engineering and playing all the insturments... well except "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" was written by Brad Delp. Apparently the record company Epic, had the other members write a bunch of songs and Brad Delps was the best song to go on the record. It was only after the album was made that the actual band was put together to go on tour. Tom knew most of the other members of the original line up from playing around the the local bar scene. The album was released and was a massive hit, selling a "gabillion" copies. It was the fastest selling debut album of all time and is one of the top selling albums of all time. The single "More Than a Feeling" hit # 5 on the charts. They were up for a grammy but lost to a band called Starland Vocal Band who only had one hit, and the rest after that gets complicated. As Tom being a perfectionist in the studio, he took his time making the follow up album "Dont Look Back", which they wanted to call Arrival but they heard ABBA had an album out with the same name. Many years later they made "Third Stage", and then there's all the suing that went on and various band members coming in and out over the years, but none the less, Boston is still around and touring today in one form or another.

In my opinion Boston is an American music icon and everyone here should go out and buy all the Boston CD's you can. If you like guitars, which most everyone here does, then Boston is for you. Boston's songs are well crafted and have soaring melodies and solid, crisp guitar riffs. Boston is pure rock and roll right from the the heart and I think that Tom Scholz should be metioned as one of the greatest guitarist's of all time.

My Personal Favorite Boston Songs are:
Hitch a Ride
Foreplay/Long time
Peace of Mind
More Than a Feeling
Cool the Engines
Dont Look Back
Smoking
Rock and Roll Band

REF:
http://www.songfacts.com/artistfacts/default.lasso
http://www.allmusic.com/
http://www.boston.org/main.html

marchoso
12-05-2004, 05:15 PM
The Mama's and the Papa's

http://www.psycho-jello.com/creeque/album1.jpg

My Take:

What a group. One of the oddest combinations of members with Mama Cass and the Phillips but boy did they know how to rock. Good enough to perform on the Ed Sullivan show, and good enough for me to pick them for BOTW.

Band Information:

All information was taken from psycho-jello.com (http://www.psycho-jello.com/creeque)

Members:
John Phillips (b. 1935), Michelle Phillips (b. 1944), Dennis Doherty a.k.a Denny (b. 1941), and Ellen Naomi Cohen a.k.a Cass Elliot (b. 1941-d. 1974)

The Mamas and the Papas burst onto the American pop charts in early 1966 with a 'Flower Power' anthem, "California Dreamin". But by 1968, after a number one album and single and countless top ten hits, it was all over. Here's a brief biography on them

It all started in 1961 when John Phillips, who was in a folk band called The Journeymen, met Michelle Gilliam, an aspiring model. They soon fell in love. While the Journeymen were on tour, John met a rich tenor named Denny Doherty. Later, Doherty would leave his group "The Halifax Three", and hook up with Cass Elliot. The two of them became life-long friends. Meanwhile, John divorced his wife, and he and Michelle moved to New York City, where EVERYONE in the folk scene hung out. They joined up with Denny and Marshall Brickman and formed "The New Joureymen". In 1964, Denny introduced them to Cass. In 1965, John, Michelle and Denny, in true "hippie" form, decided to leave New York for awhile and went to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. Cass, who wanted to be "more than friends" with Denny soon followed. In St. Thomas, they lounged around on the sand, smoked pot, swam, and perfected their harmonies while John worked on some songs. Cass wasn't yet a part of the group because John didn't know if she could sing high enough.

After months of this, Cass left for California. John, Michelle and Denny had no money left on John's American Express card and went back to New York, only to find that all of their friends had left and went to California, and in the summer of '65, they left too. In L.A, they hooked up with a friend of Cass's named Barry McGuire, who had a #1 song "Eve of Destruction". He introduced them to his producer, Lou Adler...and the rest is music history.

Success came fast for them. Their first single "California Dreamin" broke in the top 10 in early 1966. Many top 10 hits soon followed. The group's popularity was at a peak, however their personal lives threatened to ruin all of their success. Michelle and Denny had a short affair which hurt all four members. Things got so bad, John fired Michelle in the summer of '66 and she was replaced by Jill Gibson (a lookalike who was dating Lou Adler). But the public didn't want a substitute mama, and Michelle was brought back and her and John's relationship was repaired. 1967 started off with the single "Words of Love", another top 10 single, followed by "Dedicated to the One I Love", featuring Michelle. The Summer of Love really began with the "Monterey Pop Festival", which was organized by the fifth Mama, Lou Adler, John and Michelle. John wrote the Summer of Love anthem for Scott McKenzie, "San Fransisco". The downhill for the Mamas and the Papas began in the fall when their single "Glad to Be Unhappy" didn't make the top 20. They took some time off, but it was apparent that it was really over for good.

After the Mamas and the Papas, Cass had a somewhat successful solo career before she died in London in 1974. Denny disapeared from sight, Michelle took to caring for her and John's only child, Chynna, and John spent most of the 1970s under the influence of one drug or another.

The Mamas and the Papas were the first band to utilize folk, rock, jazz, pop, and beautiful harmonies. They were music icons and the "spokespeople" for the counter culture. To top it all off, they were inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. Their music continues to be loved and appreciated by all generations

http://www.psycho-jello.com/creeque/ed01.jpg

Haven't heard any of their songs? Well what are you waiting for.

Sound Clips (http://www.psycho-jello.com/creeque/sounds.html)

Mama's and the Papa's

:cheers:

~Rock~Guitarist
12-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Electric Light Orchestra

http://www.face-the-music.de/images/elo.jpg
http://home-1.tiscali.nl/~elo/images/ELO_groep_1972-3.jpg

ELO?s combination of beatle and moody blues influenced pop/rock sounds as well as classical arrangements with such instruments as violin, cello and oboe have proved them to be not your typical classic rock band. Despite their large commercial success in the 1970's, I have noticed they are barely mentioned or referred to here, so instead of picking a group everyone knows, I chose the Electric Light Orchestra.

The first ELO line up (Roy Wood - vocals, cello, woodwind guitars; Jeff Lynne - vocals, piano, guitar; and Bev Bevan - drums) was the result of a venture away from their pop band the move. ELO vowed to carry on where ?I am a Walrus? left off and did so with the aid of Bill Hunt on french horn and Steve Woolam on violin with their self titled album. ?10358 Overture? was a UK Top 10 single. Woolam left the group and Andy Craig, Richard Tandy and Wilf Gibson (Cello, keyboard, violin, respectively) were added. Craig later left and the quartet added Mike D? Albuquerque on bass.

This new line up covered Chuck Berry?s ?Roll Over Beethoven? which would result in a Top 10 single, and the album Electric Light Orchestra II. ?Showdown? became a hit as well. ?Ma-Ma-Belle" was released as a single, yet failed to make the charts. The album On the Third Day was released, showing a major advancement in Jeff Lynne?s song writing. ?Can?t Get it Out of my Head? would be another single that failed to make the Top 10, but 1974 marked Eldorado, which in their extensive career is their best work in my opinion. Another line-up change and the group would stay as Lynne, Bevan, Tandy, McDowell, Kelly Groucutt (bass), Mik Kaminski (violin), and Melvyn Gale (cello). Out of the Blue and Discovery would mark more commercial success for ELO. ELO would release a series 15 UK Top 20 singles between 1976 and 1981. Once again, the line-up thinned down to Lynne, Bevan, Tandy and Groucutt. ELO would release three more mediocre albums: Time, Secret Messages, and Balance of Power before their break up due to Lynne?s pursuit of a solo career.

In 1991 Bevan attempted to revive ELO with ELO 2, without Jeff Lynne - the heart of the band. His absence would prove ELO 2's lack of success. In 2001 Lynne brought the band back with the album Zoom with appearances by George Harrison and Ringo Starr, that showed a hint of the old band. ELO?s unique approach to the composition of rock and pop music earns them a special place in classic rock that stands out from the rest.

sources:
http://www.oldies.com/artist/biography.cfm/id_3578.html
http://www.allmusic.com

recommended listening:
Eldorado
No Answer
The Essential Electric Light Orchestra

Antonio Ulfers
12-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Jimi Hendrix was born on November 27, 1942. When Jimi was 12, his father bought him his first guitar. Jimi was obsessed with the blues and jazz music in his father?s collection. Pretty quickly, Jimi was playing with many of the local bands. When Jimi was 16, he was kicked out of his school supposedly for holding hands with a white girl in his class. In May, 1961, when Jimi was 17, he enlisted in the army, but was discharged the next year. Jimi went back to his guitar playing. Over the next few years, Jimi was a pick up guitarist for many people, including Little Richard, The Isley Brothers, Sam Cooke, and Tina Turner. Jimi moved to New York, and was drawn to Greenwich Village. It was there Jimi Formed a band, Jimi James and the Blue Flames. One night, he was seen by Chas Chandler, bass player for The Animals. After five years, Jimi?s breakthrough had come. Chad convinced Jimi to accompany him back to London. The spelling of ?Jimmy?s? first name was changed to ?Jimi? so that it would be more memorable.

After hasty auditions, Hendrix finally chose Mitch Mitchell to play drums for him, and was also joined by Bassist Noel Redding. Within three weeks, they had recorded Hey Joe. It was released near the end of 1966, and was on the charts. The album Are Your Experienced? was released in May. The only thing that kept it from reaching number one was The Beatles Sergeant Pepper.

Finally, it was time to introduce Jimi to America. In June, the band played at the Monterey Pop Festival. He had an amazing performance, and finished by torching his guitar and then smashing it into pieces.

On December, 1967 the Jimi Hendrix Experience released a new album Axis: Bold as Love. The next February, they were back in America on tour. But, he was already working on a new album, Electric Ladyland. It had many hits including an amazing rendition of Bob Dylan?s All Along the Watchtower.

The Experience broke up in 1969. Noel Redding left for England. Mitch Mitchell also quit, but soon came back. Jimi contacted an old friend Billy Cox to play Woodstock. The highpoint was The Star Spangled Banner. It was an amazing work. Jimi returned to the studio, and began working on an album to be called First Ray of the New Rising Sun.

On Thursday September 17, Jimi decided to take some sleeping pills. The next morning, his girlfriend Monika Dannemann tried to wake him, but he was unconscious. She called an ambulance. Jimi was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.

Jimi once said, ?It?s funny the way most people love death. Once you are dead you are made for life. You have to die before they think you are worth anything?? This seems true. Now we will never know how great Hendrix could have been.

The night Jimi Died, he was working on a new song called The Story of Life. The closing lines were:

The story
Of life is quicker
Than the wink of an eye
The story of love
Is hello and goodbye
Until we meet again

wilty00
12-21-2004, 05:02 PM
The All American Band

Aerosmith was formed in 1970 in Sunapee, New Hampshire by 5 small town guys who just wanted to rock. The current band consists of lead singer, ?the deamon of ?screamin?, Steven Tallarico (Now known as Steven Tyler), guitarists Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, bassist Tom Hamilton, and drummer Joey Kramer.

The Birth Of Aerosmith
Steven Tyler?s first band, Chain Reaction (Formerly ?The Strangeurs?), was first formed in 1964. Steven was the drummer, and the band mainly performed cover songs of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The yardbirds, and The Animals. Meanwhile, Joe Perry and Tom Hamilton form the band Pipe Dream, which is blues based.
Aerosmith was formed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1970. The first lineup for Aerosmith was Steven Tallarico (drummer and lead vocals), Joe Perry (lead guitar), Tom Hamilton (bass), and Ray Tabano (guitar). Ray Tabano left Aerosmith in 1971 and was replaced by Brad Whitford. Also, the band took on Joey Kramer to play drums so that Steven could be the lead singer, which he always wanted to be. The band took off when in 1972 when they were offered a record deal with Columbia Records for $125 000. Aerosmith entered the music industry with a bang, when their first album self-entitled ?Aerosmith?. In 1973, the It sold over 2 million copies in the U.S. and went platinum twice. "Dream On", just as popular today as it was 30 years ago, didn?t go over to well with the fans, until it was re-released in 1976 to become aerosmiths first ?Top 10? hit. Next, Get Your Wings was released in the summer of 1974. Wings stayed on the charts for a year and a half and has gone platinum 3 times. In 1975, Aerosmiths third album was released called ?Toys in the Attic?. It had hits like ?Sweet Emotion? and ?Walk This Way?, both mega-hits. ?Rocks?, the bands fourth album, went platinum immediately on release and is considered by some Aerosmiths best album.

The Dark Years
Starting in the 70?s, Aerosmith started being careless with their money. Steven Tyler and Joe Perry were being known as ?The Toxic Twins? because of their hard drug use. These kids at heart from Boston were being taken over by the glamour of the rock world, and were throwing their careers away. The bands next Album, ?Draw The Line?(Obvious drug reference), did well but definitely not up to the bands expectations. The band tried to convert to more blues-based rock, and the fans weren?t into it. The bands next album, ?A Night in the Ruts?, was a bomb. The rage between Joe Perry and the band had turned from a dimlight candle to a raging flame. Joe felt the need to quit the band and pursue a solo career, and quit the band during recording. Jimmy Crespo was brought in to replace Joe, and this marked the downfall of classic Aerosmith. In 1981, Brad Whitford left the band and had to be replaced by Rick Dufay. Steven Tyler spent most of the year recovering from a serious motorcycle accident, so the band couldn?t tour and lost a lot of money. By now Perry and Tyler were throwing their lives away with their drug use.The band often got in fights and bet rocks of cocaine on them. Aerosmith had hit rock bottom, until the drugs began to be old news and the band began to feel the old feeling they hadn?t felt in five years. A feeling that the band had enjoyed for almost all the 20 years they had been together, through love and through hate, to be back on top of Rock ?N Roll.

The Recovery
After the release of ?Rock In a Hard Place?, the band?s wounds begin to heal. Brad and Joe begin to visit their old band backstage after concerts. The band signed with Geffen Records, and begin to feel the old buzz that they hadn?t felt in 5 years of being apart. Aerosmith re-entered the charts for the first time in 6 years when the rap trio called ?Run DMC? remixed the song into an incredible smash hit. In an interview, Tyler said (On the reunion tour of the band) ?We crawled out from under our troubles and got in touch with ourselves.?

A New Era
Aerosmith was back on top, in a completely different genre. Although the band had transformed into more commercially based music, they were still the leaders. Their hits ?Dude Looks Like A Lady?, ?Angel? and ?Rag Doll? tore up the charts. Their 10th studio album, ?Pump?, goes multi-platinum. The boys received numerous MTV awards, a grammy, and were inducted into the Boston Gardens Hall Of Fame. Joe and Steven were into rehab, and within a year both were clean. In 1993, ?Get A Grip? is released, and sells over 5 million copies. After the release of the double platinum record ?Nine Lives? in 1997, Aerosmith begins to work on ?Just Push Play?, and the album is released on March 6th debuting at #2 on the MTV charts. Earlier on this year, Aerosmith released their blues based album ?Honkin On Bobo? which is basically a tribute to all their influences. Aerosmith started out on blues, and the songs on the CD are the songs that influenced them to start their careers, and continue with them through the harder times. The Honkin on Bobo tour brought old fans and new fans together in the same stadium with the same idea. Rock ?til you drop.

What Is To Come
Throughout their careers, the five boys from Aerosmith have dealt with everything. Through friendship, through hatred, through near death experiences, to living life like it?ll never end. Somehow, they made it through everything. Through 30+ years, they?re still rocking like nobodys business. They?ve been to the top, and they?ve been to the bottom together. Aerosmith was inducted into the Rock ?N Roll Hall of Fame on March 19th, 2001, proving that they belong and that they truly are the ?Kings of Rock and Roll?

After All, They Truly Are "The All American Band"

http://www.aerosmith.net/wallpaper/aerosmith800.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1610000/images/_1613189_aerosmith.jpg

Wilty's Recommendations (By CD):
Aerosmith
Dream On
Mama Kin
Get Your Wings
Train Kept A Rollin
Same Old Song and Dance
Toys In The Attic
Toys In The Attic
Walk This Way
Sweet Emotion
Big Ten Inch Record
Rocks
Back In The Saddle
Rats In The Cellar
Draw The Line
Meh.. Nothing much on here. Go for Kings And Queens
Night In The Ruts
Once again, not much. I suggest "No Suprize"
Rock In A Hard Place
God. Just dont bother;)
Done With Mirrors
Thank god their back.. Let the Music Do The Talking is a Hilite from Joe's solo album... good stuff there.
My Fist Your Face
Permanent Vacation
Dude (Looks like a Lady)
Angel
Rag Doll
Pump
Love In An Elevator *My alltime favorite :) )
Janies Got A Gun
The Other Side
Get A Grip
'Cryin
Amazing
Crazy
Eat The Rich
'Livin On The Edge
Nine Lives
Pink
Just Push Play
Jaded
Under My Skin
'Honkin On Bobo
Baby Please Dont Go
You Gotta Move
Back Back Train
Stop 'Messin Round
Road Runner
Shame Shame Shame
The Grind

Sources Used:

Rock This Way: The Autobiography Of Aerosmith

www.aerosmith.com

http://vtvt.essortment.com/aerosmithhistor_rmfp.htm

Merry Christmas All

turnstiles27
12-27-2004, 01:08 AM
http://www.tuttoperinternet.it/musica/artisti_stranieri/images/Billy-Joel.Jpg

Billy Joel is one of the most versatile musicans of all time. Drawing his influences from everything from Beethoven to The Beatles, all of his albums have a different sound to them. That's what's great about Billy; he's got something for everyone.

EARLY CAREER:
After several failed bands (The Echos, The Hassles, Attilla), Joel decided to try a solo career. His desperation caused him to sign a bad record contract, something that would come back to haunt him time and time again. Unfortunately his first album, Cold Spring Harbor, was a flop. It was produced too fast, making Billy sound like one of the Chipmunks. It is rumored that the first time Billy heard the album he took it off the record player and threw it out into the street. After the disappointment of Cold Spring Harbor, Billy fled from his home (Long Island) to Los Angeles, working in a piano bar, which eventually became the inspiration for his most famous song "Piano Man".

After six months of working in the piano bar, Columbia Records signed him, after "Captain Jack" (a song about teenage depression a drug excess) became an underground hit. He recorded Piano Man. The title track and "Captain Jack" were both mild hits, but nothing spectacular. His next two albums, Streetlife Serenade and Turnstiles, were also flops (although Turnstiles is considered by many die-hard fans, myself included, as one of his strongest moments).

THE BREAKTHROUGH
The breakthrough came in 1977, with the release of "The Stranger", which yielded the huge hit "Just The Way You Are", along with four other top 40 songs. It also contained the fan favorite "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant". Next came Joel's first number one album "52nd Street". Joel's career was on fire at this point... he was finally getting the recognition he deserved from fans. Critics, on the other hand, were not as impressed. After Joel released "Glass Houses", they began to really hammer him. The album was based on new wave punk, and they accused Joel of "hopping on the bandwagon", rather than sticking with his normal piano-based music (which they also criticized). Despite this, Glass Houses gave Joel his first number one hit "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me".

THE EIGHTIES
The eighties was when Joel began to really branch out. The Nylon Curtain, which, in my opinion, ties with Turnstiles as his best album, was released in 1982. While not as big of a hits as his last two album, the more mature, socially-consious sounding Joel gave him some recognition with the critics. His next album, An Innocent Man, was a tribute to old 50's rock and roll, which gave him his 2nd number one "Tell Her About It". The next album is vastly underrated by both fans and critics in my opinion. This album is "The Bridge". It was his first album since Turnstiles that didn't have a specific "sound" to it. The styles were all over the place. Also featured on this album was "Baby Grand" in which Joel duets with ledgendary Ray Charles (R.I.P.). He then went on tour in the Soviet Union, becoming one of the first American rock artists to enter. A song on his Storm Front album, "Lenningrad" documents his experiences. This song is one of his greatest, and I'd recommend you download it right now. Don't even finish reading this. Just download it. Better yet, buy the CD!

RECENT
"Famous Last Words" was the title of the last track on his 1993 album River Of Dreams, and it would prove prophetic. After this point, he stopped releasing pop music for a while and studied classical. His first classical release was entitled Fantasies and Delusions (2001). He also had a Broadway musical based on his music called Movin' Out. I'd recommend this play to everyone, it's spectacular.

In closing, I'd like to recommend some songs for everyone (lesser known ones):
The Great Suburban Showdown
Summer Highland Falls
Prelude/Angry Young Man
Everybody Has A Dream
Zanzibar
Stilleto
Laura
Lenningrad
The Downeaster "Alexa"
Running On Ice

SOURCES

www.billyjoel.com
Rolling Stone

-Turnstiles :confus:

Bill43
01-08-2005, 04:51 PM
<marquee behavior=alternate>GRAND FUNK RAILROAD</marquee>

http://www.theslant.com/music/articles/rail1.gif

The foundation of what was to become "Grand Funk Railroad" was laid in Flint, Michigan in the mid 1960's. Richard Terrance Knapp was a popular local D.J. who decided to leave radio to enter the music end of the business. After deejaying at record hops with a local band named "The Jazz Masters", which consisted of Don Brewer (drums), Al Pippins (guitar), Bob Caldwell (keyboards), and Herm Jackson (bass), Knapp lied to them that he was personal friends with Mick Jagger and Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones. Because of this, and his radio connections, the band invited him to join the group as their lead singer. To sound more "English", they renamed the band "The Pack", and Richard Knapp started using "Terry Knight" as his name.

The group soon developed a large local following, and reached number 46 on the national record charts with a song called "I Who Have Nothing", released on the small "Lucky Eleven" label. Herman Jackson was drafted, and was replaced by a local kid named Mark Farner.

In 1968, Farner and Brewer decided to leave and form a new band of their own. They recruited former Question Mark and The Mysterians bass player Mel Schacher, and renamed themselves "Grand Funk Railroad", inspired by a Michigan landmark, The Grand Trunk Railroad. Instead of being left behind, Terry Knight opted to become their manager.

After a wildly successful performance at the Atlanta Pop Festival on July 4, 1969, the band landed a recording contract with Capitol Records and immediately began making its name by performing at several large pop festivals. Their first singles reached the charts but Grand Funk soon proved its real strength in the album market. "On Time" reached number 27 in 1969, followed by the number 11, "Grand Funk" in 1970. By the summer of that year they had become a major concert attraction, and their albums routinely reached the Top 10 for the next four years.

The group's huge success is often attributed to the public relations expertise of manager Knight. In 1970, for example, Knight reportedly paid $100,000 for a huge billboard in New York City's Times Square to promote the group's "Closer To Home" LP, which subsequently became their first Top 10 album, reaching number 6 and spawning the FM radio-staple title track.

In June 1971, Grand Funk became only the second group (after the Beatles ) to sell out New York's Shea Stadium. Their recordings sold in greater quantity, even though many radio stations ignored their releases. 1970's "Live" Album reached number 5 and included another concert and radio favourite in Farner's "Mean Mistreater". The next year saw the release of "Survival" and "E Pluribus Funk", the latter most notable for its round album cover.

Around the time of recording E Pluribus Funk, it was decided to replace Terry Knight as Manager. Andy Cavaliere and later, John Eastman, father of Linda McCartney, were hired to take his place. The next few years were spent in litigation over the rights to the name "Grand Funk Railroad" and song royalties. The band eventually got to keep their name, but had to pay Knight a huge settlement.

In 1973, the group shortened its name officially to "Grand Funk", and added a fourth member, former "Fabulous Pack" member, keyboard player Craig Frost. Now produced by Todd Rundgren, they finally cracked the singles market, reaching number 1 with the album title track "We're An American Band", a celebration of the group's times on the road. In 1974, a major revision of Little Eva 's "The Loco-Motion" also reached the top (the first time in US chart history that a cover version of a song that had previously reached number 1 also attained that position). Later that year, they scored another top twenty hit with "Bad Time" (To Be In Love).

By the time 1975 rolled around, and the disco craze in full swing, the band found that their style of "garage band music", had lost much of its appeal. The following year, the group reverted to its original name of "Grand Funk Railroad" and signed with MCA Records to record "Good Singin', Good Playin", produced by Frank Zappa.

Although it is considered one of their finest by many fans, the album failed to reach the Top 50, and a discouraged Mark Farner decided to quit the group. He then went on to record two solo albums, while Don Brewer, Mel Schacher and Craig Frost added guitarist Billy Elworthy to form a new group they called simply "Flint". The new band failed to find commercial success with their solitary album.

In 1981, Farner and Brewer added bassist, Dennis Ballinger and re-formed to record "Grand Funk Lives" and "What's Funk?" for the Full Moon label. Failing to recapture former glories, they split again. Farner returned to his solo career, recording three Christian albums, before joining a band called "Adrenalin". Don Brewer and Craig Frost joined Bob Seger's Silver Bullet Band.

In 1995, Mark Farner was asked to join "Ringo Starr's All Starr Band", and during the next year, Mark, Don and Mel decided to go out and play a few "Reunion" concerts back east. Howard Eddy Jr. was asked to join as a sideman on keyboards, rhythm guitar, and back ground vocals. It wasn't long after that it became official, Grand Funk Railroad was reunited. The band toured extensively from 1996 to 1998, including a benefit for Bosnian orphans in 1997. Their 1998 tour was listed in Pollstar's Top 100 Shows as one of the top grossing tours of the year. Capitol Records released Grand Funk's Anthology "Thirty Years of Funk" on June 29, 1999.

The new millennium found founding members Don Brewer and Mel Schacher joined by singer Max Carl (38 Special), lead guitarist Bruce Kulick (12 years with KISS), and keyboardist, Tim Cashion (Bob Seger and Robert Palmer).

Together, Brewer and Schacher created a new, dynamic and multi-talented five-piece band to not only carry on the tradition of the Grand Funk hits, but also having the potential to create a brand new chapter in the legacy of Grand Funk Railroad.

Sources: http://www.classicbands.com & http://www.grandfunkrailroad.com/

Bill43
01-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Discography:

Jul-69 7" Time Machine/High on A Horse US Capitol
Aug-69 LP On Time US Capitol
Nov-69 7" Mr. Limousine Driver/High Falootin' Woman US Capitol
Dec-69 LP Grand Funk (The Red Album) US Capitol
Jan-70 7" Heartbreaker/Please Don't Worry US Capitol
Mar-70 7" Heartbreaker/Mr. Limousine Driver (Picture Sleeve) JAP Capitol
Mar-70 7" Heartbreaker/Please Don't Worry UK Capitol
Jun-70 7" Nothing is the Same/Sin's A Good Man's Brother US Capitol
Jun-70 7" Sin's A Good Man's Brother/Nothing Is The Same (Picture Sleeve) JAP Capitol
Jul-70 LP Closer to Home US Capitol
Jul-70 7" I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)/Aimless Lady US Capitol
Oct-70 7" I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)/Aimless Lady UK Capitol
Nov-70 7" Mean Mistreater/Mark Says Alright US Capitol
Nov-70 LP Live Album US Capitol
Jan-71 7" Inside Lookin' Out/Paranoid UK Capitol
Jan-71 33 1/3 Inside Lookin' Out/Paranoid (Picture Sleeve) JAP Capitol
Jan-71 LP Live Album UK Capitol
Apr-71 7" Feelin' Alright/I Want Freedom UK Capitol
Apr-71 7" Feelin' Alright/I Want Freedom US Capitol
Apr-71 LP Survival US Capitol
Jul-71 7" I Can Feel Him in the Morning/Are You Ready/Mean Mistreater UK Capitol
Aug-71 7" Gimme Shelter/I Can Feel Him in the Morning US Capitol
Sep-71 7" Gimme Shelter/Country Road UK Capitol
Nov-71 LP E Pluribus Funk US Capitol
Dec-71 7" People, Let's Stop the War/Save the Land US Capitol
Dec-71 7" People, Let's Stop the War/Save the Land (Picture Sleeve) JAP Capitol
Dec-71 7" People, Let's Stop the War/Save the Land UK Capitol
Jan-72 7" Footstompin' Music/I Come Tumblin' (Picture Sleeve) US Capitol
Mar-72 7" Footstompin' Music/I Come Tumblin' UK Capitol
Apr-72 LP Mark, Don and Mel 1969-1971 US Capitol
Apr-72 7" Upsetter/No Lies US Capitol
May-72 LP Mark, Don and Mel 1969-1971 UK Capitol
May-72 7" Upsetter/No Lies UK Capitol
Sep-72 LP Phoenix US Capitol
Sep-72 7" Rock'n'Roll Soul/Flight of the Phoenix US Capitol
Nov-72 7" Rock'n'Roll Soul/Flight of the Phoenix UK Capitol
Jul-73 7" We're An American Band/Creepin' (Picture Sleeve) US Capitol
Jul-73 LP We're An American Band (100,000 Gold Vinyl Released) US Capitol
Aug-73 7" We're An American Band/Creepin' UK Capitol
Aug-73 7" We're An American Band/Creepin' (Picture Sleeve) JAP Capitol
Nov-73 7" Walk Like a Man/Railroad UK Capitol
Nov-73 7" Walk Like a Man/Railroad (Picture Sleeve) JAP Capitol
Nov-73 7" Walk Like a Man/Railroad (Picture Sleeve) US Capitol
Mar-74 LP Shinin' On US Capitol
Mar-74 7" The Loco-Motion/Destitute & Losin' (Picture Sleeve) US Capitol
May-74 7" The Loco-Motion/Destitute & Losin' UK Capitol
May-74 7" The Loco-Motion/Destitute & Losin' (Picture Sleeve) JAP Capitol
Jul-74 7" Shinin' On/Mr. Pretty Boy UK Capitol
Jul-74 7" Shinin' On/Mr. Pretty Boy (Picture Sleeve) US Capitol
Dec-74 LP All the Girls in the World Beware!!! UK Capitol
Dec-74 LP All the Girls in the World Beware!!! US Capitol
Dec-74 7" Some Kind of Wonderful/Wild (Picture Sleeve) US Capitol
Feb-75 7" Some Kind of Wonderful/Wild UK Capitol
Mar-75 7" Bad Time/Good and Evil US Capitol
Apr-75 7" Bad Time/Good and Evil UK Capitol
Apr-75 7" Bad Time/Good and Evil (Picture Sleeve) JAP Capitol
Sep-75 LP Caught in the Act US Capitol
Dec-75 LP Caught in the Act UK Capitol
Dec-75 CS Caught in the Act US Capitol
Dec-75 7" Take Me/Genevieve (Picture Sleeve) US Capitol
Jan-76 LP Born to Die US Capitol
Mar-76 7" Sally/Love is Dyin' (Picture Sleeve) US Capitol
Aug-76 7" Can You Do It/1976 UK EMI International
Aug-76 7" Can You Do It/1976 (Picture Sleeve) US MCA
Aug-76 LP Good Singin' Good Playin' UK EMI International
Aug-76 LP Good Singin' Good Playin' US MCA
Nov-76 LP Grand Funk Hits US Capitol
Jan-77 7" Just Couldn't Wait/Out to Get You (Picture Sleeve) JAP MCA
Jan-77 7" Just Couldn't Wait/Out to Get You US MCA
Jan-77 7" Pass It Around/Don't Let 'em Take Your Gun UK EMI International
Jan-81 LP Closer to Home US Capitol
Jan-81 CS Closer to Home US Capitol
Jan-81 CS Grand Funk (The Red Album) US Capitol
Jan-81 LP Grand Funk (The Red Album) US Capitol
Jan-81 CS On Time US Capitol
Jan-81 LP On Time US Capitol
Oct-81 LP Grand Funk Lives US Full Moon
Nov-81 7" Y.O.U./Testify (Picture Sleeve) US Full Moon
Jan-82 LP Grand Funk Lives UK Full Moon
Feb-82 7" Stuck in the Middle/No Reason Why US Full Moon
Jan-83 LP What's Funk? German Full Moon
Jan-83 LP What's Funk? US Full Moon
Jan-83 7" I'm So True/Let It Happen (Japanese w/Picture Sleeve) JAP Full Moon
May-89 CS We're An American Band/The Loco-Motion US Capitol
Jan-90 LP Mark, Don and Mel 1969-1971 US Capitol
Jan-90 CS Mark, Don and Mel 1969-1971 US Capitol
Mar-91 CD Capitol Collectors US Capitol
Sep-91 CD More of The Best US Rhino
Jan-92 CD Shinin' On CANADA CEMA
May-92 CD/C The Collection UK Castle - CCS CD
Apr-94 CD Closer to Home US Collectors Pipeline
Feb-95 CD Closer to Home US Capitol/EMI
Aug-95 CD E Pluribus Funk US Capitol
Aug-95 CS E Pluribus Funk US Capitol
Aug-95 CS Caught in the Act US EMD/Capitol
Aug-95 CD Caught in the Act US EMD/Capitol
Jan-96 CD Survival US Gold Rush
Jan-96 CD We're An American Band US EMD/Capitol
Feb-96 CD Grand Funk (The Red Album) JAP EMI
Dec-96 CD On Time JAP MSI/EMD
Jun-97 CD All the Girls in the World Beware!!! JAP EMI
Jul-97 CD Shinin' On (w/ Bonus Track Destitute and Losin') JAP PID
Jul-97 CD On Time US EMD/Capitol
Oct-97 CD Bosnia (Double Live CD) US Capitol/EMI
Dec-97 CD Survival JAP MSI
Dec-97 CD Live Album US Capitol/EMI
May-98 CD Live Album GERMAN PID
May-98 CD Phoenix JAP PID
Sep-98 CD All the Girls in the World Beware!!! JAP EMI
Sep-98 CD Shinin' On (w/ Bonus Track Destitute and Losin') JAP EMI
Oct-98 CD Phoenix JAP EMI
Jan-99 CD Good Singin' Good Playin' US Hip-O
Jan-99 CD Survival JAP EMI
Mar-99 CD Grand Funk (The Red Album) GERMAN MSI/EMD
May-99 CD Closer to Home (Plus Bonus Tracks) JAP MSI/EMD
Jun-99 CD Thirty Years Of Funk 1969-1999 (Anthology 3 CD Box Set) US EMD/Capitol
Oct-99 CD We're An American Band (Remastered LP Replica - Limited Edition) US EMD/Capitol
Oct-99 LP We're An American Band (5000 Gold Vinyl Released) US EMD/Capitol

SoulStripper7
01-14-2005, 04:52 PM
http://www.altmanphoto.com/neil.jpeg

Neil Young is one of the most influencial guitarists and rock n rollers in the history of music. He has been called the Godfather of Grunge and had influenced people such as Linda Ronstadt, Kurt Cobain, and Joni Mitchell.

Biography:
Neil Young was born at the Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario November 12, 1945. He played in a series of bands but he became well known for being the guitarist and one of the vocalists for Buffalo Springfield. After the breakup of that band, he started his extremely successful solo career. He also spent 30 years performing in another band Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, or CSNY, and Crazy Horse. He also recorded an album with the grunge band Pearl Jam. He normally plays guitar and frequents the harmonica as well, but he has also been known to play piano and organ. He is known for many songs such as "Hey Hey, My My" "Cinnamon Girl" and "After The Gold Rush". There was a myth surrounding him and Lynyrd Skynyrd involving Lynyrd's song, Sweet Home Alabama. The story is this: Ronnie Van Zant had written a Sweet Home Alabama in response to two of Neil's songs: Southern Man and Alabama. Coincidentally, people thought that this was some sort of a blood fued. All it was was that Ronnie wasn't too happy about the songs but them and Neil were actually good friends and after the death of some Lynyrd Skynyrd members, Neil performed Sweet Home Alabama in a concert for a tribute.

Discography:
When in Buffalo Springfield
1967 Buffalo Springfield
1967 Buffalo Springfield Again
1968 Last Time Around
2001 Box Set
[edit]
Solo career
1969 Neil Young
1969 Everbody Knows This Is Nowhere (with Crazy Horse)
1970 After the Gold Rush (with Crazy Horse)
1970 Deja Vu (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
1971 Four Way Street (live CSN&Y)
1972 Harvest (with The Stray Gators)
1972 Journey Through the Past
1973 Time Fades Away (with The Stray Gators)
1973 Tonight's The Night (with The Santa Monica Flyers, release delayed until 1975)
1974 On the Beach
1975 Zuma (with Crazy Horse)
1976 Long May You Run (with Stephen Stills, the "Stills-Young Band")
1977 American Stars'n'Bars
1977 Decade
1978 Comes A Time
1979 Rust Never Sleeps (with Crazy Horse, new songs played live)
1979 Live Rust (old songs live, with Crazy Horse)
1980 Where the Buffalo Roam
1980 Hawks and Doves
1981 Re-ac-tor (with Crazy Horse)
1982 Trans
1983 Everybody's Rockin' (with Shocking Pinks)
1985 Old Ways
1986 Landing on Water
1987 Life (with Crazy Horse)
1988 This Note's For You (with The Bluenotes)
1988 American Dream (CSN&Y)
1989 Freedom
1990 Ragged Glory (with Crazy Horse)
1991 Weld (live with Crazy Horse)
1991 Arc (live with Crazy Horse)
1992 Harvest Moon
1993 Lucky Thirteen
1993 Unplugged
1994 Sleeps With Angels (with Crazy Horse)
1995 Mirror Ball (with Pearl Jam)
1996 Dead Man (soundtrack album)
1996 Broken Arrow (with Crazy Horse)
1997 Year of the Horse (live album with Crazy Horse)
1999 Looking Forward (CSN&Y)
2000 Silver & Gold
2000 Road Rock Vol. 1
2002 Are You Passionate? (with Booker T and the MG's)
2003 Greendale (with Crazy Horse)
2004 Greatest Hits

Sites used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Young
http://hyperrust.org/

gnr8801
01-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Rock's longest, strangest trip, the Grateful Dead were the psychedelic era's most beloved musical ambassadors as well as its most enduring survivors, spreading their message of peace, love, and mind-expansion across the globe throughout the better part of three decades. The object of adoration for popular music's most fervent and celebrated fan following -- the Deadheads, their numbers and devotion legendary in their own right -- they were the ultimate cult band, creating a self-styled universe all their own; for the better part of their career orbiting well outside of the mainstream, the Dead became superstars solely on their own terms, tie-dyed pied pipers whose epic, free-form live shows were rites of passage for an extended family of listeners who knew no cultural boundaries.
The roots of the Grateful Dead lie with singer/songwriter Jerry Garcia, a longtime bluegrass enthusiast who began playing the guitar at age 15. Upon relocating to Palo Alto, CA, in 1960, he soon befriended Robert Hunter, whose lyrics later graced many of Garcia's most famous melodies; in time, he also came into contact with aspiring electronic music composer Phil Lesh. By 1962, Garcia was playing banjo in a variety of local folk and bluegrass outfits, two years later forming Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions with guitarist Bob Weir and keyboardist Ron "Pigpen" McKernan; in 1965, the group was renamed the Warlocks, their lineup now additionally including Lesh on bass as well as Bill Kreutzmann on drums.
The Warlocks made their electric debut that July; Ken Kesey soon tapped them to become the house band at his notorious Acid Tests, a series of now-legendary public LSD parties and multimedia "happenings" mounted prior to the drug's criminalization. As 1965 drew to its close, the Warlocks rechristened themselves the Grateful Dead, the name taken from an Egyptian prayer discovered in a dictionary by Garcia; bankrolled by chemist/LSD manufacturer Owsley Stanley, the band members soon moved into a communal house situated at 710 Ashbury Street in San Francisco, becoming a fixture on the local music scene and building a large fan base on the strength of their many free concerts. Signing to MGM, in 1966 the Dead also recorded their first demos; the sessions proved disastrous, and the label dropped the group a short time later.
As 1967 mutated into the Summer of Love, the Dead emerged as one of the top draws on the Bay Area music scene, honing an eclectic repertoire influenced by folk, country, and the blues while regularly appearing at top local venues including the Fillmore Auditorium, the Avalon Ballroom, and the Carousel. In March of 1967 the Dead issued their self-titled Warner Bros. debut LP, a disappointing effort which failed to recapture the cosmic sprawl of their live appearances; after performing at the Monterey Pop Festival, the group expanded to a six-piece with the addition of second drummer Mickey Hart. Their follow-up, 1968's Anthem of the Sun, fared better in documenting the free-form jam aesthetic of their concerts, but after completing 1969's Aoxomoxoa, their penchant for time-consuming studio experimentation left them over 100,000 dollars in debt to the label.
The Dead's response to the situation was to bow to the demands of fans and record their first live album, 1969's Live/Dead; highlighted by a rendition of Garcia's "Dark Star" clocking in at over 23 minutes, the LP succeeded where its studio predecessors failed in capturing the true essence of the group in all of their improvisational, psychedelicized glory. It was followed by a pair of classic 1970 studio efforts, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty; recorded in homage to the group's country and folk roots, the two albums remained the cornerstone of the Dead's live repertoire for years to follow, with its most popular songs -- "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," "Sugar Magnolia," and "Truckin'" among them -- becoming major favorites on FM radio.
As more and more of their psychedelic-era contemporaries ceased to exist, the group continued attracting greater numbers of fans to their shows, many of them following the Dead across the country; dubbed "Deadheads," these fans became notorious for their adherence to tie-dyed fashions and excessive drug use, their traveling circus ultimately becoming as much the focal point of concert dates as the music itself. Shows were also extensively bootlegged, and not surprisingly the Dead closed out their Warners contract with back-to-back concert LPs -- a 1971 eponymous effort and 1972's Europe '72.
The latter release was the final Dead album to feature Pigpen McKernan, a heavy drinker who died of liver failure on March 8, 1973; his replacement was keyboardist Keith Godchaux, who brought with him wife Donna Jean to sing backing vocals. 1973's Wake of the Flood was the first release on the new Grateful Dead Records imprint; around the time of its follow-up, 1974's Grateful Dead From the Mars Hotel, the group took a hiatus from the road to allow its members the opportunity to pursue solo projects. After returning to the live arena with a 1976 tour, the Dead signed to Arista to release Terrapin Station, the first in a series of misguided studio efforts that culminated in 1980's Go to Heaven, widely considered the weakest record in the group's catalog -- so weak, in fact, that they did not re-enter the studio for another seven years.
The early '80s was a time of considerable upheaval for the Dead -- the Godchauxs had been dismissed from the lineup in 1979, with Keith dying in a car crash on July 23, 1980. (His replacement was keyboardist Brent Mydland.) After a pair of 1981 live LPs, Reckoning and Dead Set, the group released no new recordings until 1987, focusing instead on their touring schedule -- despite the dearth of new releases, the Dead continued selling out live dates, now playing to audiences which spanned generations. As much a cottage industry as a band, they traveled not only with an enormous road crew but also dozens of friends and family members, many of them Dead staffers complete with health insurance and other benefits.
Still, the Dead were widely regarded as little more than an enduring cult phenomenon prior to the release of 1987's In the Dark; their first studio LP since Go to Heaven, it became the year's most unlikely hit when the single "Touch of Grey" became the first-ever Dead track to reach the Top Ten on the pop charts. Suddenly their videos were in regular rotation on MTV, and virtually overnight the ranks of the Deadheads grew exponentially, with countless new fans flocking to the group's shows. Not only did concert tickets become increasingly tough to come by for longtime followers, but there were also more serious repercussions -- the influx of new fans shifted the crowd dynamic considerably, and once-mellow audiences became infamous not only for their excessive drug habits but also for their violent encounters with police.
Other troubles plagued the Dead as well: in July 1986, Garcia -- a year removed from a drug treatment program -- lapsed into near-fatal diabetic coma brought on by his continued substance abuse problems, regaining consciousness five days later. His health remained an issue in the years which followed, but the Dead spent more time on tour than ever, with a series of dates with Bob Dylan yielding the live album Dylan & the Dead. Their final studio effort, Built to Last, followed in 1989. Tragedy struck in October of that year when a fan died after breaking his neck outside of a show at the New Jersey Meadowlands; two months later, a 19-year-old fan on LSD also died while in police custody at the Los Angeles Forum.
As ever, the Dead themselves were also not immune to tragedy -- on July 26, 1990, Mydland suffered a fatal drug overdose, the third keyboardist in group history to perish; he was replaced not only by ex-Tubes keyboardist Vince Welnick but also by satellite member Bruce Hornsby, a longtime fan who frequently toured with the group. In the autumn of 1992 Garcia was again hospitalized with diabetes and an enlarged heart, forcing the Dead to postpone their upcoming tour until the year's end; he eventually returned to action looking more fit than he had in years. Still, few were surprised when it was announced on August 9, 1995, that Garcia had been found dead in his room at a substance abuse treatment facility in Forest Knolls, CA; the 53 year old's death was attributed to a heart attack.
While Garcia's death spelled the end of the Dead as a continuing creative entity, the story was far from over. As the surviving members disbanded to plot their next move, the band's merchandising arm went into overdrive -- in addition to Dick's Picks, a series of archival releases of classic live material, licensed products ranging from Dead T-shirts to sporting goods to toys flooded the market. Plans were also announced to build Terrapin Station, an interactive museum site. In 1996, Weir and Hart mounted the first Furthur Festival, a summer tour headlined by their respective bands RatDog and Mystery Box; in 1998, they also reunited with Lesh and Hornsby to tour as the Other Ones. In spirit if not in name, the Grateful Dead's trip continued on.
~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide (vh1.com)

http://www.humblepress.com/Concert/graphics/gallery/garcia.jpg
Jerry Garcia

http://www.jimicrowley.com/pics/bweir.jpg
Bob Weir

http://www.gratefuljoe.com/Dead/giants93-3.jpg
Phil Lesh

http://www.jungle.net/deadhead/pigpen/pigpen1.gif
Ron "Pigpen" McKernan

http://boxset.dead.net/images/photos/Altman,_Robert/bill-67.jpg
Bill Kreutzmann

http://www.jungle.net/deadhead/mickey/mickey4.gif
Mickey Hart

Sources: www.vh1.com

MrDawson
01-26-2005, 02:12 PM
The Velvet Underground
http://www.nicke.abelgratis.com/nyc/vu.jpg

(from left to right Sterling Morrison, Nico, Lou Reed, John Cale, Maureen Tucker)

Towards the second half of the sixties most of the mainstream rock scene was following the peace and love movement and bands were playing against the war, the man, the police, well almost anything except trees. It was during this era that in New-York started the strangest sonic experience, a huge step forward in rock music (and still considered the biggest since then by many) and a much darker side of it than had ever been seen, the begining of the Velvet Underground.
Most of the classic rock bands are said to have had large influences on modern music, but the way the VU shaped the music in the years following their first records is not really measurable, punk music, new wave, alternative and grunge for example. And it's not only the music, but anyone who ever read the lyrics of a VU song can imagine the effects on later songwriters like Iggy Pop (for classic rock), or Kurt Cobain later on.
Lou Reed (born in 1942), studied litterature and poetry at Syracuse university where he also met Sterling Morrison a guitar player (born in 1942 and died in 1995), both shared the love for rock & roll. After Graduating Reed decides to work for Pitwick records as a songwriter, but never recording himself. He does meet there John Cale (born in 1940), a classical music player from welsh who is into experimentation and avant-garde; both will exchange their musical background. This lead them to try and create an avant-garde rock & roll band, combining the music they loved, Reed as a guitar player and singer and Cale as a viola/organ/bass player (he was taught classical music and played all these instruments). While in the subway talking about their new band, The Primitives, Reed and Cale cross Sterling Morrison who is still in guitar playing, he is recruited by the band. They record a first single called The Ostrich at Pitwick Records, and Reed has to find a drummer. Maurreen Tucker, a sisters friend (born in 1945) plays drums (standing up, in sort of a tribal way); and the band changes its name for The Velvet Underground, the name of an erotic pulp novel. While Lou Reed is busy experimenting ways to play his guitar (I Heard Her Call My Name is a good example of what he could do), John Cale plays a strange violin never really melodic but so important to the bands unique sound (he did put electric guitar strings on his violin for some songs). The band performs at a bar called Cafe Bizarre where they meet Andy Warhol who was at the time not only an artist himself but also producing other artists. As the VU get fired from Cafe Bizarre because of yet another "really wierd" set, Andy Warhol signs them for a performance called The Exploding Plastic Inevitable where the VU have to play and improvise while a movie is played in the background. They get the oppurtinity afterwards to record their first album produced by Warhol, under one condition : to let Nico, a european model, sing in the band with Lou Reed. They recorded 11 tracks in a few days, featuring some of their best songs, filled with hard and cold lyrics dealing with drug, humiliation and pain (Heroin, I'm Waiting for my Man, Venus in Furs, Femme Fatale...), very far from what was heard at that time on mainstream radio. Maybe for this reason the album was only released on march 1967 a year after the recording (complications with the record company), got no air time on the radio and never hit really high in the charts. But a whole underground public, mostly audience from their concerts, loved it and tried to spread the music.
Quickly after the release Nico is fired from the band, as Reed did not much like having to share some of his best lyrics, and they go on to do another record. In december 1967 White Light/White Heat is released; it's a furious and very violent piece of work (and can be, the name of the album stands for the flash induced by amphetamines) gathering only 6 songs, but so filled with intensity this album has to be heard from begining to end in one sitting. Climaxing with a 17 minutes completely insane Sister Ray, the first time experience with this album cannot leave you untouched. Unfortunately, the creative minds of the band, Reed and Cale start to argue on artistic points of view this leading to John Cale to being expelled from the band and replaced by Doug Yule a singer and piano player. The new version of the band will then release a new album in 1969, self titled, 10 songs and strikingly more peaceful and quiet than the last one. This album is calm, really really calm, and poetic : the lyrics are incredible and are unmatched by any other VU album. But John Cale's loss left an empty space in the band's music, the experimental noisy avant-garde side almost completely disappeared in this new album. However the band do more and more live shows (most of the live recordings released are from this era), and though Yule is not a violin player he does manage well live. While they were playing shows they also were recording material for a future record; but during this period the band is living it's final days : Lou Reed disapointed by the directions the band is taking quits, leaves New-York and starts a solo career (for wich he will earn more popularity), Maureen Tucker's pregnancy leads her to being replaced on most of the new songs by Yule's brother. Yule himself is quite happy : he gets more songs to sing on, and more control on the songs as Reed is leaving. These events lead the band to sign with a major record company and releasing Loaded in 1970 (10 songs), a mainstream rock album with many memorable songs : Rock & Roll, Sweet Jane, Oh Sweet Nuthin' most of them getting radio air time, and becoming rock standards. The popularity of the album, and many artists (like Bowie or Patty Smith) claiming VU influences, get the band a whole new audience and popularity, but by then the VU is over. Morrison and Tucker quickly left the band after Loaded, and a new VU, including none of the original members, release another album in 1973 : Squeeze wich is best not to talk about. The band will do a reunion show in 1992 in France, (Live MCMXCIII) with the four original members, despite their grudges. The show is really cool and is a hit (though Reed did loose some of his voice over the years) but the grudges stand to strong between Reed and Cale, and Reed and Morrison (for copyrights) and it ends sadly with no hope of ever seing the four of them together anymore. Sterling Morrison will die from illness in 1995, and is remembered among many musicians as a true artist and a brillant guitarist.
Bryan Eno said that not many people bought a Velvet Underground record, but the ones who did formed a band.

(note : sorry if it's not that well written, english is not my mother tongue, hope you enjoyed it)

Discography :
The Velvet Underground and Nico - 1967
White Light/White Heat - 1967
The Velvet Underground - 1969
Loaded - 1970
Squeeze - 1973

Live albums :
Live at Max's Kansas City - 70
LIVE MCMXCIII (double cd) - 93
(I only put up there the lives I thought interesting, you can check the whole discography at http://www.thevelvetunderground.co.uk/

Sources :
http://www.thevelvetunderground.co.uk/
http://www.livedaily.com/artist/1589.html#bio
http://www.velvetunderground.com

Suggested Songs :
Heroin
Femme Fatale
Venus in Furs
Sunday Morning
I'm Waiting for my Man
I'll Be Your Mirror
European Son
What Goes On
Pale Blue Eyes
White Light/ White Heat
The Gift
Lady Godiva's Operation
Here She Comes Now
I Heard Her Call My Name
Sister Ray (ok so the whole album)
Sweet Jane
Rock & Roll
Oh, Sweet Nuthin'
I Can't Stand It

Danfan3
02-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Steely Dan

http://www.steelydan.com/Images/citizen/citkids.big.jpeg

(From Left to Right: Donald Fagen and Walter Becker)

The basis of Steely Dan was formed at Bard College around 1967. Donald Fagen (Keyboard, Vocals) met Walter Becker (Bass Guitar, Lead Guitar) and they both had common interests in jazz music and Beat writing. The name "Steely Dan" was from a novel called "The Naked Lunch" by William S. Burroughs. They formed many bands and one included actor Chevy Chase on drums. By 1969 they moved back to New York City and continued to write songs. Fagen and Becker tried very hard to get their music published and ended up meeting Kenny Vance of Jay and the Americans. Vance was trying to set up a publishing company and find new bands and heard Fagen and Becker play their songs for him. He was impressed and soon Fagen and Becker recorded demos of these songs with the now complete Steely Dan band, which included Denny Dias on guitar. Fagen and Becker met Dias after seeing an ad in a newspaper for a keyboard player and bass player for his band. In 1971 Steely Dan wrote the soundtrack to the low budget film ?You Gotta Walk it Like You Talk It.? By 1972 they had a producer named Gary Katz and were in L.A. with their debut album ?Can?t Buy a Thrill? being released. The album had many hits including ?Do it Again? and ?Reelin? in the Years? which had a guitar solo by Elliot Randall that has been recognized as one of the greatest guitar solos ever. In 1973 Steely Dan released their second album ?Countdown to Ecstasy.? It is one of their best albums and this is the album where their jazz influence started to be heard in their songs. The album had the great rock song ?Bodhisattva? and the song ?My Old School.? This album did not have any singing from David Palmer since he left before this album came out. In 1974 Steely Dan quit touring because Fagen and Becker both did not like it. They also started to use more session musicians on their songs starting with the album ?Pretzel Logic? in 1974. This album had the great song ?Rikki Don?t Lose that Number? and after this album was released guitarist Jeff ?Skunk? Baxter left the band to join The Doobie Brothers. In 1975 they released their 4th album ?Katy Lied? and the only original members left in the band where Fagen, Becker, and Dias. Michael McDonald sang back-up vocals on some songs of the album. The album had great songs like ?Black Friday.? McDonald also joined The Doobie Brothers around the time this album came out. In 1976 the album ?The Royal Scam? came out and it has been said to be the best guitar album that Steely Dan made. Larry Carlton played so many great solos on this album such as in the song ?Kid Charlemagne.? In 1977 Steely Dan?s best album came out called ?Aja.? It was one of the most popular albums of 1977 and it had three big singles which were the songs ?Peg?, ?Josie?, and ?Deacon Blues.? "Peg" was a pop/disco type song that had a guitar solo from Jay Graydon (after about 10 attempts from other guitarists). "Josie" is the album's closing song and it is a very good upbeat Rhythm and Blues type song.The album?s title track might be Fagen and Becker?s best work since it is such a complex and great jazz fusion song with one of the best guitar solo?s ever by Denny Dias, a saxophone solo by Wayne Shorter, and a drum solo by Steve Gadd. In 1980 Steely Dan?s last album ?Gaucho? came out and it was a great album with songs like ?Hey Nineteen?, ?Babylon Sisters?, and ?Time Out of Mind.? In the early 1980?s Steely Dan broke up and Fagen and Becker both recorded their own solo albums. In 1982 Fagen?s album ?The Nightfly? came out and it had a great song called ?I.G.Y.? In 1993 Fagen released another great solo album called ?Kamakiriad? and in 1994 Becker released a solo album called ?Eleven Tracks of Whack.? In 1993 Fagen and Becker started touring again as Steely Dan and in 1995 they released a live Steely Dan album called ?Alive in America.? In 2000 they released the first Steely Dan album in 20 years called ?Two Against Nature.? It was a great album and it won many Grammies in 2001 including Album of the Year. They were also inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001. In 2003 they released another album called ?Everything Must Go? which included many great songs such as the song ?Blues Beach.? There is nothing known if they are working of another album now but Donald Fagen will be releasing another solo album in 2005. Steely Dan?s music will always live on.

Discography:
1972 ? ?Can?t Buy a Thrill?
1973 ? ?Countdown to Ecstasy?
1974 ? ?Pretzel Logic?
1975 ? ?Katy Lied?
1976 ? ?The Royal Scam?
1977 ? ?Aja?
1980 ? ?Gaucho?
1995 ? ?Alive in America?
2000 ? ?Two Against Nature?
2003 ? ?Everything Must Go?

Sources : www.steelydan.com