Pop punk a la a death metal fan. [GP5] (C4C)

PDA

View Full Version : Pop punk a la a death metal fan. [GP5] (C4C)

Tarbosh
03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Hey guys. This is more of a joke than anything. My friends and I are all musicians in some way or another, and after getting sick of hearing constant bitching about our complaints regarding our disdain of more popular forms of music, we decided to prove it to the complainers that we "couldn't write music like that". So, essentially, we formed a pop punk band and are writing pop punk music that we despise oh so much. This is a song I just did for it. No lyrics yet, but I wrote the vocal melody.

I actually had a lot of fun writing this, it was kind of nice to disregard any complexity and just write complete bullshit. I'm very curious to see what you guys think of it, whether or not you're a fan of this kind of music. Comments greatly appreciated, and of course, C4C. If you write a long crit, I'll write a long crit.

matt360
03-17-2011, 04:29 PM
i'm sorry but devin townsend has beat you to the punch

theogonia777
03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
i'm sorry but devin townsend has beat you to the punch

this. and nobody actually liked the actual music from Cooked on Phonics...

blake1221
03-17-2011, 04:41 PM
It was obvious that you could write better or more complex music while listening to it, that's for sure haha. Overall though, it was too repetitive. That little melody/main riff that the guitars stuck to got really old really fast. I know it was a joke, so it's harder to critique, but if you wanted to keep up your mock pop punk band, I'd put a tad bit more effort into it. Listen to early All Time Low, they kept things interesting with fewer repeating segments.

But yeah, it was a solid pop song. I'd just add some stuff to freshen it up, just because it's simple doesn't mean you can't make the song go anywhere.

Tarbosh
03-17-2011, 04:57 PM
this. and nobody actually liked the actual music from Cooked on Phonics...

So if the almighty Townsend has already done it, that means no one else is allowed to do it?

To be honest, I don't even understand why everyone sucks his dick, pretty much everything I've heard from SYL has been rather bland and uninteresting.

tomas_almeida
03-17-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm in the same situation as blake (it's a joke afterall), but, since like you, I hate this style with a passion I just have one thing to say: This is bad!

Which is good, because it means you managed to achieve your goal. It's composed like a generic pop-punk song, and it's good at being generic. What I'm trying to say is, that you did a good job at what you proposed yourself to do, and that's why I hate that song. No sarcasm here.

Also to quote blake, it was obvious that you could write better or more complex music while listening to it.

About Devin, people "suck his dick" because of his solo project albums. I also find SYL uninteresting, but his solo albums are really good. At least some of them (Terria is my favourite).

Tster
03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
I thought it was to simple. boring rythem. sure its a song. not a good song. just not original i guess. and the vocal melody seems outta place?

182below0
03-25-2011, 08:08 PM
From someone who kinda likes pop punk (not modern stuff, but like screeching weasel and dude ranch) I didn't like it that much. But since this is a joke it doesn't really matter that much. All I can really say is that it was too repetitive and the melody just wasn't that good. It's surprisingly hard to write a good melody.