Almost progressive sort-of-djent-ish metal thingy [gp4,midi]

PDA

View Full Version : Almost progressive sort-of-djent-ish metal thingy [gp4,midi]

Pingis_Or_Death
03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Allright, title says it all this time. Been thinking about a way to expand it but can't quite come up with anything.

C4C and stuff like that applies, as usual.
Thanks.

slayerfrk
03-20-2011, 03:59 PM
this is on the verge of garbage... no offence. im sure you put a lot of effort into this but i wasnt digging it at all. first off the guitars are to low, there is no melod, the slide arpeggios sound like shit, ect. some of the grooves were ok at best. im being honest, and im probably gonna be hated on for it.

Unholy.Daemon
03-20-2011, 04:04 PM
the drum parts need changing, and the whole thing sounds a little disjointed, but it's not bad

frankibo
03-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Haha don't listen to slayer, he obviously doesn't get good music.
The first riff is groovy as **** and the next riff is just damn chaotic. The off tempo djenty groove riff that follows is awesome.
The more atmospheric section with the pads was creepy, I like it though. Is it meant to serve as a chorus? The chaos riff again, presume this is the verse?
And then that first riff rips my face off again.
I like what you've got so far, really in your face fast paced groove riffage. Maybe have a slower section to break it up a bit?

selibucaz
03-20-2011, 04:09 PM
i dig this a lot. im glad this type of music is on a rise, kind of reminds me of chimp spanner or periphery a bit.

ProgFripp74
03-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Its not awful its just so generic, now that all of these 'prog' bands with seven strings are are trying to be too 'technical' without sounding technical and when you run out of ideas you play an average riff and harmonise it, if you have a large fanbase then continue what you are playing.
Personally I much prefer SiKth or fellsilent for this type of metal, some grooves were not bad but the melody is a bit poor and the drumming is very bland, although the intro riff wasn't bad. All in respect to you you sound accomplished just work on some better ideas, to stand out in this genre you need to have your own little niche but I hope you prove me wrong and make me eat words :)

Pingis_Or_Death
03-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Its not awful its just so generic, now that all of these 'prog' bands with seven strings are are trying to be too 'technical' without sounding technical and when you run out of ideas you play an average riff and harmonise it, if you have a large fanbase then continue what you are playing.
Personally I much prefer SiKth or fellsilent for this type of metal, some grooves were not bad but the melody is a bit poor and the drumming is very bland, although the intro riff wasn't bad. All in respect to you you sound accomplished just work on some better ideas, to stand out in this genre you need to have your own little niche but I hope you prove me wrong and make me eat words :)
Yeah, nothing can beat Sikth, they're in a league of their own. But I wouldn't really consider them djent, just as I wouldn't consider this djent either. It has certain elements which can be found in djent though. I agree about the drumming, it's just something I slapped together to support the riffs. And don't worry about it, I don't have a fanbase and this type of metal isn't the primary style I usually write in. But yeah, it needs a bit more polishing, that I can agree with. Cheers.

Tarbosh
03-21-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't get all the hate you're getting for this song. I think it's pretty good.

First riff is really groovy sounding. I love all those slides, really makes it sound sweet. Hope you can play that.

22 isn't as good as the first riff, IMO. I think it's the blast beats. I generally don't like to use them unless they're really appropriate, but i think people use them as a substitute for an actual drum part sometimes. Whatever. You make up for it with 30, which is another sick groove.

46 is a bit random for my taste, I think it would be better if the pad fit the guitar a little bit more. It seems like you're kind of picking random intervals.

86 is a pretty abrupt transition. I think you could have made that a little more subtle just by dragging it out a bit more. Also, you need a finale of some kind. Rather than just repeating the first riff, you could do some kind of variation that conjures up the first riff without being quite the same.

Another suggestion is to make the bass parts a little more interesting. To me it seems pointless to have a bass in the band at all if they're just going to follow the guitar, you had might as well just put an octave effect on the whole time, and no one should ever do that.

All in all, solid effort. Work on those transitions and basslines, add a couple more riffs in there, and you have a damn fine song. Killer groove.

Do you think you could drop me a crit on this piece I just did? Much appreciated.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423791

slayerfrk
03-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Haha don't listen to slayer, he obviously doesn't get good music.
The first riff is groovy as **** and the next riff is just damn chaotic. The off tempo djenty groove riff that follows is awesome.
The more atmospheric section with the pads was creepy, I like it though. Is it meant to serve as a chorus? The chaos riff again, presume this is the verse?
And then that first riff rips my face off again.
I like what you've got so far, really in your face fast paced groove riffage. Maybe have a slower section to break it up a bit?

seeing as i like most stuff you put on here, this just didnt appeal to me dude... it was like something out of human catapillar or something, dont hate on me for not liking this. i was honest. thats all that matters.

frankibo
03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
seeing as i like most stuff you put on here, this just didnt appeal to me dude... it was like something out of human catapillar or something, dont hate on me for not liking this. i was honest. thats all that matters.

I'll take the compliment but this wasn't that bad. The music is there to be grooved to and it was definitely groovy as ****!

Erra93
03-22-2011, 04:43 AM

I have to agree actually, I just couldn't feel a melody going on :/

Kirborg
03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Yeah I disagree with all the hate strongly. Really enjoyed this all the way trough. A lot of Djent posted on these boards sounds really similar bit you have a nice tech-death-djeant hybrid going on. the intro riff is sick also.