Interlude + Song for band (Metal/core/core/!??!, sort of melodic!)

PDA

View Full Version : Interlude + Song for band (Metal/core/core/!??!, sort of melodic!)

Erra93
03-25-2011, 11:45 AM
This is just something I've been working on for a while, the first part is an interlude and the part called "Sorrow" is the second song, as I like to state the obvious :)
Neither the lyrics or song names are definite yet.

Also, I wrote this all in guitar pro, haven't played it on an actual guitar beforehand, do I for that reason suck?

And I know the transition to the verse (bar 48) sucks :p
The drums suck as well! :D
And.. the chorus may be a little generic.. and what comes afterwards might not fit in at all.. anyway, give it a listen :)

Thanks,

PS. I've also updated the other song @ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414860 (Metalcore / whatever song)

MetalCommand
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Also, I wrote this all in guitar pro, haven't played it on an actual guitar beforehand, do I for that reason suck?

Nah, write whichever way suits you best. I tend to write using guitar pro but with a guitar in front of me as well.

Anyway, on with the track.

I quite like the interlude part, will go well in the middle of an album with heavier metalcore (or whatever) songs.

The main song starts well, the drums for this bit are ok actually with the the snare going. After that though the drums are not so great, notably there are too many crashes. As a guitar player I always used to struggle writing drums parts for my songs. Just keep practicing writing them and most importantly, look at the drum tabs for songs you like and notice whats going on.
The verse and chorus sections overall are quite decent, as you pointed out maybe a little generic. That's not necessarily a problem, depends what you're going for overall.
The stuff at the end has potential, obviously you'd need to work it into the song more.

Overall, quite a good effort.

Erra93
03-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Nah, write whichever way suits you best. I tend to write using guitar pro but with a guitar in front of me as well.

Anyway, on with the track.

I quite like the interlude part, will go well in the middle of an album with heavier metalcore (or whatever) songs.

The main song starts well, the drums for this bit are ok actually with the the snare going. After that though the drums are not so great, notably there are too many crashes. As a guitar player I always used to struggle writing drums parts for my songs. Just keep practicing writing them and most importantly, look at the drum tabs for songs you like and notice whats going on.
The verse and chorus sections overall are quite decent, as you pointed out maybe a little generic. That's not necessarily a problem, depends what you're going for overall.
The stuff at the end has potential, obviously you'd need to work it into the song more.

Overall, quite a good effort.

Thanks a lot :)
The drums weren't very thought through, but still, I have to get better at writing drum parts, so hopefully I will get better at it when I start practicing on actual drums!
Will definitely start checking out other drum tabs for inspiration, thank you :)

And lastly, when you say the end, I'm guessing you're meaning right after the chorus and not the random parts at the very end of the tab? :p
I will try to make it fit in better, and make the transition smoother

MetalCommand
03-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Ha no, actually I was talking about the random bits at the end. The part after the chorus sounds fine.

Erra93
04-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Ha no, actually I was talking about the random bits at the end. The part after the chorus sounds fine.

Oh, haha :)
All of them or which ones?

MetalCommand
04-01-2011, 11:40 AM
I guess the part at bar 97 would be my favourite out of them.

Erra93
04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I guess the part at bar 97 would be my favourite out of them.

Ah, I think I can fit it in better in another song I'm making though, and I will give it a try!

a_7_x
04-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Very good effort !

My favourite part was 'Sorrow' at bar 24, pretty simple but effective.
The beatdown at the start was also pretty cool.

The only thing i'd really work on is the drums, but that's not saying anything about how you write drums - it just looks like they were thrown together quite quickly

JCAshworth247
05-15-2011, 11:50 PM
I like the power chord rhythm in the interlude and the swap between guitars. the drums arent that bad just a little boring at times.
Also find a way to extend this song and incorporate the stuff at the end because this song has potential it just needs a climax of some sort.
So far this song as a whole is only 2 minutes or so long so add diverse riffs that share the same theme

RiseTheFallen
08-04-2011, 06:35 AM
sounds rad!

Emperor's Child
08-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't worry about writing on guitar pro. I always write:
1) using guitar pro
2) using guitar pro with a guitar on my lap
3) on keyboard/piano

I never actually write using just my guitar!