Happy melodic metal instrumental (GP5, C4C)

PDA

View Full Version : Happy melodic metal instrumental (GP5, C4C)

MetalCommand
03-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Hello everyone :)

UPDATE: Ok now it's recorded. See youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGpsSD6sA8) for final results, more details in post #18.

Erra93
03-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Really liked it, it had a really nice flow to it :)
The only thing I can think of is that the riff-similarities may get boring after a few listens, but I still doubt that :)
Even though the intro rhythm guitar played a really simple pattern, that was all right thanks to the other two amazing lead guitars :p

MattAnderson111
03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Honestly, bar 20-21 sounds like the music when you are walking into the city in Pokemon red, with the S.S. Anne.

Burning_Angel
03-28-2011, 10:29 PM
That reminded me a lot of Thin Lizzy. Except maybe a beat more... I dunno, happy.

It was really catchy, I give you that. but the intro was rather... I dunno, that riff was oddly timed. Not bad though. The leads were mostly good although they got old towards the end. Needs some more riffing or chords or something for more dynamics.

and I feel like the whole song would be better with just two guitars, let the bass carry some of those low rhythms ala Maiden/Lizzy and all that. The acoustic end was nice though.

That said not really something I'd listen to; far too happy for me, and not my style...

Joshua1207
03-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Beginning kind of reminds me of a faster happier Iron Maiden. So far at bar 19 it almost sounds like a faster Modest Mouse. But at bar 20 and after that feeling goes away. I really like the section at bar 30, pretty catchy. Usually I don't care for metal, but this is pretty good. I dunno why, but for some reason I think you'd like Fang Island, don't ask why haha. Maybe its because of the pretty awesome happy guitar playing in your song.
I don't really like when the acoustic comes in but it starts to grow on you. For some reason, I think it'd sound better if you had a banjo riff instead of those chords going on with the acoustic.

Overall I like this song quiet a bit. Usually I don't care for metal, but this was good. Just don't put over any cheesy lyrics over it :P Good job.

If you would critic my song http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426257

Mentalcore
03-30-2011, 09:04 PM
At first it sounded too happy but then after bar 20 it got pretty interesting, 47th - 49th amazing, also i really liked the acoustic guitar. I'm not really into happy metal, but this sounds great :p:

HaydenHohns
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the crit. Not sure how a major piece will go as I've only modulated once to a major key in a song and that was for about 4 bars.

Bars (1-13): Excellent intro, just like Iron Maiden except major.
Bars (14-23): I'm enjoying the counter-riffs/melody but the repeat makes it sound jarring. Either change the rhythms slightly at the end of the bar or remove the repeat IMO.
Bars (24-33): Nice variation here, it works very well.
Bars (34-43): Perfect time to bring our harmonies which you did. Perfect way to keep the piece interesting.
Bars (44-60): Personally, this is where something dark and evil should come along. Bring in tritones, augmented and diminished chords with quick chromatic runs. Then use proper modulation, maybe with a dimished sweep reaching the tonic?
Bars (61-81): Love the shreddy transition here and the reprisal of the original theme.
Bars (82-93): Again, excellent chance taken when repeating the original riff, good job.
Bars (94-111): Not particularly fond here as this section is new and also major. If its new, you should convey a new motive (I.E sad or angry), or replace it with a shredded-up version of an original theme. That said though, your melodic construction is really advanced with the counter melodies, it reminds me of Angra and Anubis Gate. Look those up if you have the chance.
Bars (112-128): I'm starting to get annoyed now as it is currently major for 128 bars. The last few bars with the triplet finish can stay but the rest needs to go IMO. The overall end of this piece should finish with a repeated theme which is really shreddy and exciting, that would really make the piece IMO.

Overall you've got a pretty decent song but repeating a few established themes towards the end and some shred would really make it. BTW, thanks for the crit on my piece.

Life Is Brutal
04-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Interesting upbeat intro. Very nice! (As Borat woud say)

I like how you were able to use the 7/8 bar for a transition, and I also like your use of triplets.

I can't give too much of a crit ATM, but this is all very good stuff with good flow to it. Points of interest were the swing section, that I wasn't expecting at all. That was awesome. :haha:

I also like the general structure of the piece. One note would be that some of the lead phrasing is a bit wierd to listen to at points.

But other than that, Awesome. Even a brief C4C will work for mine.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428338

Brownisgod
04-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Oh man, I downloaded the file yesterday, thinking it'd be another silly guitar pro crap song, but I was wrong! This is awesome! I literally searched through the forums for 30 minutes trying to find this thread again to see if it'd be alright to record this with real instruments? I'd really like to give this a shot and see what it comes out like, if that's okay with you?

Edit: Shoot me a message on my profile, or at my email, brownisgod@gmail.com, I'm more likely to write back faster. lol

pinguinpanic
04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Writing as I listen, beginning sounds cool. Nothing much comment on, just really enjoying the unusual combination. Part at 44 is really nice, has this kind of Thin Lizzyish groove, I'm hearing Lynott singing over it already. The thing at bar 64 and somewhere in the beginning is nice too. I'm not really sure about the thing at 82, the low palm mutes don't seem to blend in dad well. I like how it feels happy and quite heavy, without having like that punk sound that I usually associate with it. Just as I type that the acoustic part starts, which kind of has that punky feeling I meant, I don't really like it and would rather hear it without the acoustic guitar. Giving that a re-listen without the acoustic guitar. Yes that sounds better.

Pretty solid song, although the happiness makes it lean more toward a Stadium Rockish some of some sort, but it has that metal flair. I'm not sure if I would like to listen to a whole album of this, but the combination is quite nice. Was a really enjoyable listen, sorry if my comment isn't really helpful. I don't need a crit back, hearing this was enough reward for me (:

WestOfTheSun
04-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Super awesome makes me want to get drunk mosh in an Irish pub and kick some leprechauns. xD

MetalCommand
04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Oh man, I downloaded the file yesterday, thinking it'd be another silly guitar pro crap song, but I was wrong! This is awesome! I literally searched through the forums for 30 minutes trying to find this thread again to see if it'd be alright to record this with real instruments? I'd really like to give this a shot and see what it comes out like, if that's okay with you?

Edit: Shoot me a message on my profile, or at my email, brownisgod@gmail.com, I'm more likely to write back faster. lol

Hey. Glad you liked the song, and very flattered you'd like to record it. Actually though I was planning to record it myself fairly soon, as have been getting together a home recording setup and learning how to produce recently. So I dunno, it'd be strange if I wasn't the first person to record my own song... but possibly ...
Also, still gonna make a few more changes first I think, possibly getting rid of the acoustic section at the end and putting in something different maybe in a minor key, but not 100% sure yet.
Anyway, thanks for your, and everyone else's, feedback. Will probably post update when made further changes to it.

oneblackened
04-17-2011, 01:25 AM
I really like that riff at Bar 44. For some reason it reminds me of "Christmas" music. I do think it sticks to one sound a little too much, maybe add some non-diatonic sounds. Otherwise I'm really digging the multilayered guitars.

The whole really kinda power metal-y, since it's got kind of a medieval sound to it with the lack of dissonance. Though the acoustic section is far to similar to the other parts, maybe you could arpeggiate that instead of having straight strumming?

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433047

MetalCommand
04-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Right I've made quite a few further alterations to the song. Most notably I've got rid of the acoustic bit at the end and also the part which was just before that. In it's a place there is a new section in the relative minor key, to give something different to the song, without being so different that it would seem out of place. It now ends on a repeat of the main theme and also there is a variation on that theme in the middle of the song. Let's see what you think!

Kalo Hanaka
04-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Im serious, when I say that this is an awesome creation! Was a real joy to listen at. This is Easily something Im gonna save, just for the pure awesomeness of it. So... As soon as I get my guitar in order, Im gonna practice playing this. Normally I get kinda beat down by listening to others recordings and tabs and such, thinking "I'll never be able to do something like that", but this! This is something different to me. Makes me want to Do something, to write something... Good luck with the writing! Would love to see this as a real song, with maybe some vocals?

huevos
04-17-2011, 05:21 PM
How has no one mention Protest the Hero yet?
This song screams of their influence. Even in the Maiden styled riffs, it still sounds closer to PTH than the archaic sounds of yesteryear [not a knock on classic rock/metal, but you'd be a fool not to consider older bands to outdated stylistically and structurally, outside Rush, Zep, and King Crimson ;) ].

So what I'm ultimately trying to say is that you've bridged the gap between classic riffage and modern song structure and tone. With damn good results, if I say so myself.

The only thing I would change is the tonality of Amaj vamp (main theme). It sounds so cheesy and bog standard (melodically, as rhythmically, it happens to be ace). I think it might just be note arrangement more than anything else, as when the higher register leads come in before Triplet time, I found it more pleasing.

Second time around with variation was much better as well.

Outside of the main theme, everything is excellent.
And I realize why I don't like that section to much; it reminds of a Rush/Protest the Hero b-side riff. Something about it seems really lazy, especially in comparison to the rest of the song.
Maybe if you short it or vary it up like in the Variation sequence, you might get something more remarkable.

Good song overall.

MetalCommand
04-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Im serious, when I say that this is an awesome creation! Was a real joy to listen at. This is Easily something Im gonna save, just for the pure awesomeness of it. So... As soon as I get my guitar in order, Im gonna practice playing this. Normally I get kinda beat down by listening to others recordings and tabs and such, thinking "I'll never be able to do something like that", but this! This is something different to me. Makes me want to Do something, to write something... Good luck with the writing! Would love to see this as a real song, with maybe some vocals?

Cool, yeah I'm planning to record it soonish actually. Need to practice my on my technique for at least a couple of months though, since been more focused on writing stuff than actually playing recently, then I can start recording. Well I haven't decided if I'm going to record this song first or the one from my other thread, but will do them both as soon as I can anyway. The plan is to keep this as an instumental though.

MetalCommand
09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
UPDATE TIME!

Have finished recording and producing the song now so bumping thread for those who said they'd be interested to hear it. Have a listen on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGpsSD6sA8) or check out the thread in Orignal Recordings (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482959).
Thanks to all those who replied in this thread, the feedback was very useful and the final song is much better because of it :)