Post hardcore EP

PDA

View Full Version : Post hardcore EP

ovechkin39
04-04-2011, 12:15 AM
This is a song off of our EP we are about to record. We'd appreciate some criticism before recording, so help us out and tell us what you think!

The file was too large so i had to take off part of the ending.

frankibo
04-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Nice build up is ruined by an AA-esque genericore breakdown. The next riff is pretty decent, good changing time sigs but still catchy. Lol I wouldn't call that djent but it was still a cool riff. Prechorus was good and the Chorus is decent do, upbeat and then a good fill riff.
Post chorus served it's purpose and then another unnecessary genericore breakdown.
The change up was alright, pretty generic riff underneath but I liked the lead part. Prechorus and chorus again.
Outro was nice, good riff, could have used it elsewhere in the song as well.
Over all, good song but I'm not a fan of the breakdowns that are being thrown around.

Thomasoman
04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
it really bothers me that this is considered post hardcore...so as long as theres a melodic chorus, surrounded by breakdowns and metalcore riffs, that makes it a posthardcore song? I'm sorry to bring this to your post, but this is a metalcore song. A predictable one, but not a bad one. I think its exactly what you were going for, so well done. I think pretty much everyone is just getting tired of breakdowns though. The novelty is wearing off, now its just an obligation to have one or three. Thats all I can really say about this piece.

ItsDropDNick
04-06-2011, 10:50 PM
first crit clearly just has a jihad against breakdowns. I hate that.

Tarbosh
04-07-2011, 01:44 AM

No, he probably has a "jihad" against generic, cookie-cutter melodic metalcore with the same breakdown in every song.

So it's pretty much a jihad against shitty music.

Although I'm sure someone with a name like "DropDNick" knows all about the finest, most complex genres of music.

ovechkin39
04-07-2011, 11:25 AM
No, he probably has a "jihad" against generic, cookie-cutter melodic metalcore with the same breakdown in every song.

So it's pretty much a jihad against shitty music.

Although I'm sure someone with a name like "DropDNick" knows all about the finest, most complex genres of music.

I believe I asked for criticism, sorry I didn't clarify that I wanted constructive criticism, I just figured you'd assume. Regardless it wasn't an invitation for you to bash someone else who commented on it.

For te first criticism...I completely agree with the first breakdown AA all the way, but I don't understand the issue with the second. What would you suggest instead?

frankibo
04-07-2011, 01:58 PM
What would you suggest instead?

A breakdown doesn't have to be open note palm muted chugging in a rhythm I've heard a million times before. Explore over avenues!

Ometh
04-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Yeah, because hating breakdowns is so not cool, bro. Right? Get a ****ing grip.