Bruce Springsteen Acoustic Song Choice

PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Springsteen Acoustic Song Choice

Deathsdoor99
04-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Me and my friend are in an acoustic duo (we both play guitar and he sings too). We love Bruce Springsteen and have been requested to play some of his stuff a few times at gigs. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to which songs?

Stuff like Atlantic City and I'm On Fire would work arrangement wise but whether it would go down well is another story, maybe too obscure.

Any suggestions or YouTube vids would be appreciated.

Thanks

joeschmoe186
04-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Me and my friend are in an acoustic duo (we both play guitar and he sings too). We love Bruce Springsteen and have been requested to play some of his stuff a few times at gigs. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to which songs?

Stuff like Atlantic City and I'm On Fire would work arrangement wise but whether it would go down well is another story, maybe too obscure.

Any suggestions or YouTube vids would be appreciated.

Thanks

atlantic city and im on fire were both pretty big hits for bruce so im not really sure what wouldn't be obscure. the river is a great one for a slower more emotional vibe, waiting on a sunny day is good for a more uplifting vibe.

my favorite acoustic performances though are these verions of growing up and thunder road (although thunder road is more of a piano song imo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBcW3lSgK2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsJVYXXHbA&feature=related

Toadvine
04-16-2011, 03:21 PM
I play Atlantic City, both solo and with an acoustic duo, anytime anyone ask me to play a boss song that's the one I do. It would help if either of you could play harp with it. It's a good one because if you both sing, you can take turns with the verses, and share the chorus.

Born to Run is an obvious choice, I've never played it live, because the lyrics are a handful, and I tend to drink continuously at my gigs. I'm on Fire is another good one.

Secret Garden, Streets of Philadelphia, Brilliant Disguise, Dancing in the Dark, and Blinded by the Light are some good ones.

But Atlantic City I think is the best choice. I mean it's been covered by The Hold Steady, The Gaslight Anthem, Jason Isbell, Justin Townes Earle, Thrice, Hank Williams III, among others. You play any cover well enough and it removes the obscurity, especially if it is by a requested artist.

Deathsdoor99
04-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Cheers for the input guys. Much appreciated. I can play some harmonica so it's not really a problem. Thanks again.

Venice King
04-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Dancing in the Dark

Buzliteyear
04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Bruce is tough, because people are generally serious fans or they don't care for him, not much in between. Because of this, I think it's okay to choose a song for the Bruce fan as others won't care anyway. Don't be afraid to choose one for the serious Bruce fan.

Some good acoustic choices would be The River, Thunder Road, Murder Incorporated, Rosalita, Ghost of Tom Joad, Blood Brothers, Atlantic City, Lost in the Flood, Downtown Train, and The Fever. Obviously, your choice would depend on playing and singing level.

theguitarsquid
04-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Badlands is where it's at. but you have to have a harmonica( key of E) for fill in parts. but if that cant happen then Workin' on the Highway or Growin Up are good choices.