ChRomantic (Classical C4C)

PDA

View Full Version : ChRomantic (Classical C4C)

Life Is Brutal
04-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Roughly a minute and a half in length, written in the style of Romantic era classical music, with an added twist of chromatics.

A very nice short piece, if I say so myself. Bars 28-30 I like especially.

Theres 4 tracks for a single melody because I wanted alot of fullness for this piece, as it makes it much more enjoyable.

So just take a moment, relax, and maybe smile once or twice while you listen. Or drive yourself insane during the augmented and diminished chords, and disregard the major and minor resolves. :haha:

Portuguese_boy
04-24-2011, 11:44 PM
That was really great.
Very soothing song, loved the ominous, dark theme. The only problems I had were the repetitive patterns and the fact that the echo drops was the main guitar copy pasted. Try putting the same chord but in a lower octave for the echo drops, and instead of it being finger picked make it one single strum or something, imo it makes it ore interesting. But this works fine too, if that's what you were going for then it's still not bad.

I'll give it a 9/10, it really was relaxing.

c4c?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1435092

Life Is Brutal
04-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks for crit.

The repetitive pattern and falling arpeggios are almost a trademark of the classical romantic era, from the pieces Ive played, so I tried to write it in that sense.

Joshua1207
04-25-2011, 10:23 PM
I liked most of the song. It has a weird mood to it, can't really explain it but its good. The only part I didn't care too much for was your favorite part, bar 28-30 :P I dunno why I didn't like it, it just didn't seemingly fit into the song too well. Another thing is that the song can get a bit boring, I personally think it'd benefit a lot with some more instruments in it. I'm not expert at all on classical stuff though so what I said shouldn't mean much but eh.

If you want to return the favor http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1435550

HaydenHohns
04-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the crit. Are you writing an album for all your Tech/Prog Death stuff? If so, this would provide the perfect interlude (About 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through the album) if you decide to include it. You know one of my favourite instrumentals of all time is Voice of the Soul by Death, so I would definitely include this if I were you. One more thing, did what I say to you about your last piece inspire you to make this (About Stravinsky, Prokofiev etc), if so that is really cool. Anyway, onto the crit:

Bars (1-10): Nice chords in here, latter half reminds me of some of the voicings Nobuo Uematsu uses in some of his pieces.
Bars (11-19): Nice work again, bar 12 sounds Jazzy with the chromatics but then the following goes Minor7th but with the 7th as the root, I think thats a 4th inversion, when implying the 5th but some of this chordal work is really detailed. The following bars make a nice reference to the beginning.
Bars (20-27): Nice use of the major chord to resolve at the end of the dissonant chords.
Bars (28-30): Personally, bar 30 could be removed from this piece if it were me, its a small qualm but thats ok.
Bars (31-37): Nice refrain once again, I love how you manage to modulate for one bar with the Cmaj6/D chord here. Absolutely phenomenal chordal work.
Bars (38-43): Love the accidentals here but the last two bars spoiled the ending. Just let the final chord ring minus the A (B fretwise, A from a pitch perspective as you are in D standard, 7 string).

I have to say, I don't think this piece is going to be appreciated enough here, you should take it to the classical forum if you're allowed. But wait and see, things might pickup.

Absolutely phenomenal work here. Let me know when I can purchase a CD.

Life Is Brutal
04-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the crits guys, Ill check out your piece tommorow Joshua.

Yeah, I am writing a Tech Death album with large Prog, Classical, and Jazz influence.

Actually, I forgot about your recommendations for classical stuff, this was written when I was like... "Chromatic... Chlassical... Classical Romantic era... Romantic... ChRomantic!"

Bar 30 can probably be scrapped, although I like the sound it gives. Also, if I remove that last A, it sounds incomplete and resolveless.

Also, @ Joshua, Romantic era Classical pieces are generally only one instrument, which is either a guitar or piano. So multiple instruments is not for this piece. BUT, I have several other pieces that I will be putting on the forums eventually, with a much better classical sound than this. And they are also going to be full songs. :D

And I think I will put a link to it in the Classical/Acoustic forum. Thanks for the idea!

HaydenHohns
04-25-2011, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't resolve it. Let the following song do that. Same key and make the outro use the same chords. If you still want to resolve it where it is, use a Rasgueado and restate the resolving chord (I.E, play the Bmaj chord or whatever chord it was again).

Life Is Brutal
04-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I won't resolve it in the song itself, and allow the next song to do that for me, if Im using it in an album.

This was one of my recreation pieces rather than actual serious work. And it went really easy and came out fairly well.

Rasqueado, if I remember correctly, is the finger "Fling", correct? Where you put your fingers in the palm of your hand and shoot them out? Thats not a bad idea actually, so Ill make that an option.

Joshua1207
04-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Also, @ Joshua, Romantic era Classical pieces are generally only one instrument, which is either a guitar or piano. So multiple instruments is not for this piece. BUT, I have several other pieces that I will be putting on the forums eventually, with a much better classical sound than this. And they are also going to be full songs. :D

Well like I said, I know like nothing of anything classical lol. But hey, when you post your other ones I'll be sure to listen to them anyways. I enjoyed this for what it was.

HaydenHohns
04-27-2011, 04:16 AM
@LifeIsBrutal: If this is a "recreational" piece, then I'm really excited to hear the real stuff. Seriously though, you should treat every composition with maximum focus. Not many people seem to realise how complex a minute of ringing chords can be (Like this one specifically), let alone if it were an epic like some of the lengthier Romantic/20th Century Classical Music and yes, a rasgueado is when your fingers shoot out from a somewhat clenched strumming hand.

BigBigWater
04-27-2011, 04:57 AM
Not bad. I don't have a terribly large amount to say, it DID get a bit repetitive in my opinion and the dissonance was too much with too little of a release for me, but as a whole it's rather nice.

Don't really expect a crit back, but you might be interested in hearing a classical piece I posted a while ago... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1404414

whalepudding
04-27-2011, 05:07 AM
I did love the chord progressions, but I've always thought of that particular rhythm as a bit of a cliche. The whole 3+3+2 thing.

And are you sure the Romantic era usually had single instruments in compositions? I'm quite ignorant, but have always associated it with bombast, dense textures, ambitious ideas etc.

Still, I enjoyed it very much. I'll look forward to hearing some of your full songs. :cheers:

Life Is Brutal
04-27-2011, 07:42 AM
I did love the chord progressions, but I've always thought of that particular rhythm as a bit of a cliche. The whole 3+3+2 thing.

And are you sure the Romantic era usually had single instruments in compositions? I'm quite ignorant, but have always associated it with bombast, dense textures, ambitious ideas etc.

Still, I enjoyed it very much. I'll look forward to hearing some of your full songs. :cheers:

Im probably wrong there actually, but I was basing it off of the multiple pieces Ive seen in classical guitar books.

Also, sorry I haven't been able to crit back yet, I haven't had much free time. Tonight I should be able to get back to you guys.

RedDeath9
05-06-2011, 02:56 AM
First of all... The echoes create a really "cold" atmosphere, it reminds me of Ice Dungeons in Zelda or something. The chord progressions themselves are quite relaxing, kind of adding to that "chill" :p: atmosphere. Very serene and icy. Something about it also reminded me of Theory in Practice for some reason. Maybe that's because I usually see you writing tech death, and as Hayden suggested, it sounded like it'd be the perfect interlude in a tech death album. Something similar to Prophecies by Theory in Practice.

I lost my train of thought during that, forgive me if it's hard to follow.

Anyways, I love the way 22 moves into that major chord at 26. Through my first listen, I wasn't so sure that the resolves were worth all the dissonance, but I believe I am coming around... Some of the stuff is JUST starting to make sense.

Bars 32-33 are just awesome, I love that modulation.

I agree with Hayden about the ending, I'd much prefer the unresolved feeling. But you've already addressed that, so whatever :p: But this is definitely an intriguing piece. I wasn't so sure about it at first, but it has grown on me.