Unique Acoustic Song

PDA

View Full Version : Unique Acoustic Song

gabrielcev
04-25-2011, 09:09 PM
This the first song Ive composed and have been playing guitar for a year. Took me many hours to make hope you enjoy tell me what you think. The song is called Gray.
:D

hawk_kst
04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Couldn't really get the right feel from the GP track... would like to hear it recorded properlly...
If you've been playing for a year I doubt you could play that note perfect and I'm assuming you've just written it using GP?

EDIT-
Actually scrap that, I do not believe at all that you wrote this in real life and then transcribed it... As if you can play 16th notes at 200 bpm after just one year of guitar playing.
I can only just manage 16th notes at 180 BPM and it's been 5 years...

Life Is Brutal
04-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Nice sounding song, although the harmonies in some places are questionable, such as the first note at bar 21. And since you've only been playing for a year, Im assuming lack of harmonic knowledge rather than artistic expression. :shrug:

I am also doubtful of those 16ths @ 200BPM, mostly that sweep, as the shape is strange to sweep at that speed and would be very difficult on an acoustic. Also, the runs at the end would be difficult for someone who has been only playing for a year, and don't really fit with the rest. The song also ends too abruptly.

Other than that, good work on it. C4C?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1435617

gabrielcev
04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Couldn't really get the right feel from the GP track... would like to hear it recorded properlly...
If you've been playing for a year I doubt you could play that note perfect and I'm assuming you've just written it using GP?

EDIT-
Actually scrap that, I do not believe at all that you wrote this in real life and then transcribed it... As if you can play 16th notes at 200 bpm after just one year of guitar playing.
I can only just manage 16th notes at 180 BPM and it's been 5 years...
Lol dude i wrote the rhythm part in real life which was supposed to be the only part. I put it in guitar pro then i added the lead parts and bass and your right i cant play the lead but im practicing it so i can record a real version. Also you cant get the feel for the song because it wasnt supposed to sound lile that. The timing is a little off because im a noob at guitar pro but thats why its unique to me. Thx for the responce tho.

hawk_kst
04-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Lol dude i wrote the rhythm part in real life which was supposed to be the only part. I put it in guitar pro then i added the lead parts and bass and your right i cant play the lead but im practicing it so i can record a real version. Also you cant get the feel for the song because it wasnt supposed to sound lile that. The timing is a little off because im a noob at guitar pro but thats why its unique to me. Thx for the responce tho.
Fair enough, at least your being honest!
I'd just scrap that last bit dude cause there's very little chance you'll ever get it up to speed note perfect so just re write the part xD
As I said before, I don't like listening to GP play me a song because it just doesn't come anywhere near the real thing! I totally think you should record a proper version of it and post it up (=

gabrielcev
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Thx brutal im going to check out yours!

Joshua1207
04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
I like the song for the most part. Kind of sounds like video game music. The only part I don't really like are the sweeps at the end of the song. They just sound like random note smashing.

dylann
04-27-2011, 01:53 AM
haha ive never herd someone sweep on acoustic but ok

gabrielcev
04-27-2011, 11:21 AM
I like the song for the most part. Kind of sounds like video game music. The only part I don't really like are the sweeps at the end of the song. They just sound like random note smashing.

I was going to use this as music for a level in a video game im creating. Lol Thx for checking.

gabrielcev
04-30-2011, 10:40 AM
haha ive never herd someone sweep on acoustic but ok

I can.

L2112Lif
04-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Its... A bit juvenile, a really 'young' transcription. I like parts, but the parts I like are far outweighed by the parts that are just there, and don't really have function... Up to bar 4 I really liked what you did, but then you just repeated the melody an octave up, which just kinda hurt (On a real acoustic, those notes are prone to icepick tone) There's an odd note in bar 9, I removed that 1 (Or put in a 0) on the low E because that F on the low E conflicts with everything. I liked this little key change you did between 9-10, and this hemiola-esque thing that appears as a result of that and getting back to the previous tonality... But it feels like you ran out of ideas at bar 14, just flat ran out...

And I was just gonna leave it at that, but then I did you a favor...

I muted your lead guitar. The chordal structure underneath is incredibly beautiful in most places... And I would've missed that if I didn't take the time to look at each part on its own. The big problem here is that the melody is, unfortunately, detracting heavily from what could be a beautiful classically-inspired piece.

I used to have this problem... Just remember that you need space too for the melody to breathe, or it chokes up. It doesn't always have to be moving, more notes doesn't make it better, and a sh*tty melody on top of a beautiful progression ruins the whole piece.

Oh, and Dylan. I regularly practice sweeps on acoustic. I rarely do 5- and 6-string sweeps, but I do 4-strings on acoustic often... I just haven't recorded anything where I've done so.

gabrielcev
04-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Its... A bit juvenile, a really 'young' transcription. I like parts, but the parts I like are far outweighed by the parts that are just there, and don't really have function... Up to bar 4 I really liked what you did, but then you just repeated the melody an octave up, which just kinda hurt (On a real acoustic, those notes are prone to icepick tone) There's an odd note in bar 9, I removed that 1 (Or put in a 0) on the low E because that F on the low E conflicts with everything. I liked this little key change you did between 9-10, and this hemiola-esque thing that appears as a result of that and getting back to the previous tonality... But it feels like you ran out of ideas at bar 14, just flat ran out...

And I was just gonna leave it at that, but then I did you a favor...

I muted your lead guitar. The chordal structure underneath is incredibly beautiful in most places... And I would've missed that if I didn't take the time to look at each part on its own. The big problem here is that the melody is, unfortunately, detracting heavily from what could be a beautiful classically-inspired piece.

I used to have this problem... Just remember that you need space too for the melody to breathe, or it chokes up. It doesn't always have to be moving, more notes doesn't make it better, and a sh*tty melody on top of a beautiful progression ruins the whole piece.

Oh, and Dylan. I regularly practice sweeps on acoustic. I rarely do 5- and 6-string sweeps, but I do 4-strings on acoustic often... I just haven't recorded anything where I've done so.

Thanks for the great comment... I admit in the lead part I kinda just experimented a lot thats why its very strange in some parts. The chordal structure did take me a while to come up with something unique sounding and kind of classical sound and it flatters me that you though it was beautiful. It would be cool if you post an edited version of it. I'll work on it a little more and the ending is transcribed wrong. Yeah bar 14 is repetitive I got bored lol and wanted to finish it quick. Im working another classical solo acoustic piece this time just one guitar so I dont screw it up lol.

gabrielcev
05-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah its hard to sweep on acoustic but definitely not impossible.

Life Is Brutal
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM

I never said they were impossible, merely uncommon and or difficult.

When I grew out my nails for Classical/Flamenco I would do three string sweeps with my nails. :haha: