Sludgey stoner metal (WIP)

PDA

View Full Version : Sludgey stoner metal (WIP)

NegiTom
04-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey guys, haven't posted on here in quite a while, would love to get some feedback on this. Thought of some riffs tonight and thought I'd quickly tab em out for a band I have going. Been listening to a lot of a band called Grief recently, and a lot of doom/stoner metal/sludge/whatever and this is what I came up with, still have loads to go and that, just wanted to know what people have to say about it so far :)

Will crit back if you leave me a link or tell me what you want me to crit, cheers! :)

4stringedMetal
04-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Not bad if i do say so myself, I'm not a huge fan of doom/sludge but this is diffidently okay. On the flip side there is too much repetition and the listener could get bored of it, slow doesn't have to mean boring. Keep at it.

NegiTom
04-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Not bad if i do say so myself, I'm not a huge fan of doom/sludge but this is diffidently okay. On the flip side there is too much repetition and the listener could get bored of it, slow doesn't have to mean boring. Keep at it.

Thanks a load man! Yeahh after listening through there is quite a lot of repetition, with vocals it will be a lot more tolerable, but I'll definitely cut some bits shorter! Anything you want me to crit of yours?

robertito696
04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Itís wicked hard to judge doom/sludge from midi but Iíll do my best.

I like the first riffs a lot, it builds up the song nicely, by II itís picked up a lot of steam. Not a huge fan of IV, maybe with vocals it will sound better. I wish it was slower too, either in tempo or using some dotted notes to drag it out a bit. V is awesome though. The slow acceleration builds the song up again. I assume the end of V is feedback, which will be awesome recorded; I really like the bass coming back in before the guitars. VI is huge, like it a lot. The ending feels a bit anticlimactic but that very well may be the midiís fault.

Overall it was a solid song, Iím a sucker for doomy stoner sludge though. It feels like something that would be at home in the middle of an album, not massive enough to start or finish it but more than enough to carry it through.

Take a look at this if you don't mind: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1416051

NegiTom
04-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Itís wicked hard to judge doom/sludge from midi but Iíll do my best.

I like the first riffs a lot, it builds up the song nicely, by II itís picked up a lot of steam. Not a huge fan of IV, maybe with vocals it will sound better. I wish it was slower too, either in tempo or using some dotted notes to drag it out a bit. V is awesome though. The slow acceleration builds the song up again. I assume the end of V is feedback, which will be awesome recorded; I really like the bass coming back in before the guitars. VI is huge, like it a lot. The ending feels a bit anticlimactic but that very well may be the midiís fault.

Overall it was a solid song, Iím a sucker for doomy stoner sludge though. It feels like something that would be at home in the middle of an album, not massive enough to start or finish it but more than enough to carry it through.

Take a look at this if you don't mind: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1416051

This was so cool man, really appreciate the amount you've wrote about it! Vocals are gunna be a highlight of the song so hopefully it will sound less dull then! I'll have a fiddle with it to see if I can make it a bit more interesting, might speed it up a bit, but not much, I like it slow, proper droney and whatnot. Don't worry by the way, that was nowhere near the end! Still have plenty to go. Yeah I totally agree about it being in the middle of the album, cheers for the positive feedback man, means a lot!