the black keys 21st century blues at its finest?

PDA

View Full Version : the black keys 21st century blues at its finest?

fmonzo27
04-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Now before you say Joe Bonnamassa and such I am talking about being innovative with it and bringing it into the mainstream media kind of like how Stevie Ray did (not comparing guitar playing wise im talking popularity wise) who else would you say is keeping the blues alive and fresh in the 21st century

Mr.DeadDuck
04-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Not enough blues to be considered blues in my opinion

kangaxxter
04-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah probably. They uses a lot of Fuzz and kind of overuse the harmonica microphone trick, but, yeah, I'll agree. They do make some really good 21 century blues.

TNfootballfan62
05-01-2011, 02:55 AM
I won't say they're the "best," because it's so subjective, but their older stuff was killer blues. I'd be hard pressed to call this latest album "blues," but that's just me.

due 07
05-01-2011, 02:56 AM
They are vastly boring and overrated.

caw1
05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Not the finest Blues....

They were solid blues rock till Brothers, now its more like a fusion of blues rock.

They were better as just a duo.

Jazz Funeral
05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
I have Magic Potion. I barely ever listen to it. :shrug:

TNfootballfan62
05-11-2011, 05:47 PM
They're definitely not for everyone. If you like old style, raw blues, check out Chulahoma, their Junior Kimbrough cover album.

caw1
05-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Now before you say Joe Bonnamassa and such I am talking about being innovative with it and bringing it into the mainstream media kind of like how Stevie Ray did (not comparing guitar playing wise im talking popularity wise) who else would you say is keeping the blues alive and fresh in the 21st century

Joe Bonamassa is a dying breed. He has more hours on a guitar than a large population of this site combined. I look at the black keys in more of a rock band way, cause they are, more of a rock band. You can say they sound like this guy or that guy but really they have a great original sound. Some times they remind me of ac/dc or zepplin in the sense of having an original rock blues sound that is undeniably theirs .

There is a whole thread on modern blues. People alive and still touring.

The finest is subjective as said before. But if I had to narrow it down I would probably focus on who is keeping traditional blues alive, sells albums, tops the charts (in blues charts), covers many stlyes, plays shows/festivals/large events, yet is still slightly unknown out side of blues fans and guitar players. Joe Bonamassa fits that description to a T.

The keys are a rock band with a blues influence, and that's a lot different that being definitively the finest example of keeping the blues alive. Most people listening to the blues were listening to the blues well before black keys started getting popular.

Sorry if I am a bit opinionated, Music is subjective. I think your not listening to much blues if the black keys is your idea of the finest blues band of the moment.

BTW most of SRV's limited fame came at the end of his career, just before his passing. Stevie helped revive the blues but the real height of his influence and popoularity was after he died.

Ramblin'_Man
05-11-2011, 11:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmgKEPVPyF0

TNfootballfan62
05-11-2011, 11:52 PM
:heart: Derek Trucks :haha

Sir Anonymous
05-12-2011, 12:04 AM
I think it depends on how you define 'modern blues' - whether you mean (modern blues) or (modern)(blues).

I think The Black Keys are a great example of a (modern blues) band, in that Brothers makes me think of the modern equivalent of a jazz club back in the heyday. Their performance on Conan (I think it was, you know the one) a while back really reinforced this for me - the fancy get up and all the colour co-ordination.

This is probably best contrasted with say, Seasick Steve who seems to me to play (modern)(blues) - old-style blues that just happens to take place right now.

Maybe I should expand on this in the Modern Blues thread?

caw1
05-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Definitely.

My definition is modern artists playing blues music. The keys aren't really that, they are a rock band with some blues influence.

TNfootballfan62
05-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't know. They have an entire album covering Junior Kimbrough. It's hard not to call that blues.

Zoot Allures
05-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Seasick steve has to be up there aswell.

Also Jack White.

caw1
05-18-2011, 03:45 PM
I don't know. They have an entire album covering Junior Kimbrough. It's hard not to call that blues.

One album doesn't count. Ozzy did a cover album, doesnt mean hes a cover artist.

Sea Sick Steve is the shit.

TNfootballfan62
05-18-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm just saying, it's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. At lot of their early stuff was really bluesy. I certainly wouldn't say that Joe Bonamassa is keeping "traditional blues" alive, but the black keys aren't (or at least weren't).

caw1
05-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Joe is a solid blues artist though, and it does sound more traditional at times, then again he does throw some crazy great originality that isn't so traditional. The keys are bluesy, just not that bluesy

TNfootballfan62
05-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I disagree, if we're talking about their old stuff. :shrug:

21wickwing
05-28-2011, 04:38 PM
They are blues rock. Let us leave it at that. blues rock is this giant grey area between blues and rock and inside this music can be associated with either genre very easily. Brothers was a masterpiece albeit less blues but they put more soul music into it. You can tell they loved having more instruments to work with cause they could truly make the music they always wanted to. I would say they are one of the top modern blues bands for sure. They are certainly one of the most distinctive blues bands. Not many people can hear anybody else and say thats the black keys. They have their very unique sound unlike...um Bonamassa.

this is more gut-wrenching blues than most modern blues musicians have had the capacity to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnzIrRykilA

primusfan
05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
so I finally listened to some Joe bonamassa (which my friends told me not to do) because of this thread.

eh ... to say he's traditional is a stretch. he just sounds like SRV but with a worse bass player. and SRV was like the eminem of blues.

I think the black keys, while not a blues band in the strictest sense, have more traditional roots than bonamassa. one friend said he read an interview with different groups and black keys listened mainly to ooold ass stuff while
bonamassa just listened to newer stuff. just what he said.

the whole conversation reminds me of that hilarious scene from ghost world where Seymour goes to see one of his favorite blues guitarists at a bar where he's opening for some blues-rock band of 20-something middle class white kids.

strat-lover87
05-30-2011, 10:32 AM
does anyone else find it funny that a thread that started with "before you say bonamassa and such" became a joe vs black keys thread almost immediately? and why isn't anyone tossin' in the white stripes. They have blues influences that go way back to the thirties, and the black keys early records sound a good bit like the first stripes record.

Jazz Funeral
05-30-2011, 10:37 AM
^ I really only find it funny that they are the only two or three bands that everybody refers to when it comes to Modern Blues.

TNfootballfan62
05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
^ I really only find it funny that they are the only two or three bands that everybody refers to when it comes to Modern Blues.

Yeah, there's so much more good stuff out there.

Zoot Allures
05-31-2011, 05:45 AM
so I finally listened to some Joe bonamassa (which my friends told me not to do) because of this thread.

eh ... to say he's traditional is a stretch. he just sounds like SRV but with a worse bass player. and SRV was like the eminem of blues.

I think the black keys, while not a blues band in the strictest sense, have more traditional roots than bonamassa. one friend said he read an interview with different groups and black keys listened mainly to ooold ass stuff while

the whole conversation reminds me of that hilarious scene from ghost world where Seymour goes to see one of his favorite blues guitarists at a bar where he's opening for some blues-rock band of 20-something middle class white kids.
Bonamassa has that lame tryhard 'white guy 'playing the blues ' ' thing, sounding like he's ripping off albert king licks and clapton and playing with a generic so called 'blues tone'. He's doing everything the correct way and it turns out bland. The black keys however are making their own sound but still are true to the roots of the blues.

21wickwing
05-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Bonamassa has that lame tryhard 'white guy 'playing the blues ' ' thing, sounding like he's ripping off albert king licks and clapton and playing with a generic so called 'blues tone'. He's doing everything the correct way and it turns out bland. The black keys however are making their own sound but still are true to the roots of the blues.

exactly

Attack&Release
06-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Dan, the frontman/guitarist is the only of the two that listens to blues guitarists like Robert Johnson, Junior Kimbrough, and Son House. Patrick, the drummer, listens to Ohio musicians and is more prevalent on the production side of the music. But to the subject, i wouldn't call them the future of traditional blues, but they still are a good blues act.

willwelsh816
06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
The Black Keys are a blues guitarist and hip hop drummer. They're pretty awesome, got me into r&b, opened my ears. I generally hate most rock music, but they are a pretty good exception

Mack56
07-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Imo, Patrick's drumming didn't get that hip hop until Brothers (unless he was doing it on Attack & Release, i still haven't listened to that album well enough)

CPDmusic
07-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Whether or not they're blues, I saw them live at the Molson Ampatheter, and they were awesome; one of my favorite bands. However, with that being said...

They were better as just a duo.
Agreed. I'm not saying Brothers was a bad album, as it's actually a pretty good album. However, let's face the facts:

Magic Potion > Brothers
Attack and Release > Brothers
Rubber Factory >> Brothers
Thickfreakness >>>>> Brothers

The facts.

Dmaj7
07-18-2011, 05:05 PM
I like them. They have a blues context when it comes to the notes on the guitar, and they use fuzz which is pretty much like hendrix but the rhythym is way more rock than it is blues.

lithiumvocals
07-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I really love Black Keys. Thickfreakness and Rubber Factory both kick ass as blues-rock albums. They make me wish I had a legit fuzz pedal.

As far as modern blues goes...

Yeah, I'D say they're about as good as you can get, but I seem to be slightly outnumbered. While it's true that they're not exactly "true" blues, I think they have enough of a blues influence and style to be considered blues.

But that's just coming from a fan. *shrugs*

willwelsh816
07-19-2011, 09:17 AM
The Black Keys did a whole hip hop album, very similar to Brothers called Blakrok or something like that. It got me into a few rappers, and I really like it.

I think Dan's influence comes from a different branch of the blues than someone like Joe Bonamossa or Eric clapton. They seem to fit in with the guitarists who travelled north to chicago and that, but Dan seems to take influence from the guitarists who stayed down south. Somewhat like the White Stripes but without the same crazyness.

the Keys also did a full tribute album to Junior Kimbrough, called Chulahoma. This is kinda how you can tell maybe dan doesn't draw too much influence from alot of chicago guitarists unlike Joe Bonamossa. Both are fine, just The Keys are naturally more raw from the influence and being only two people. Joe is smoother from the influence, and having a much larger band imo

been watching the keys from Thickfreakness, and it's been very cool to see how they progressed, and I really love all their albums.

fmonzo27
07-25-2011, 05:20 PM
I would say another band that is really right on the line between blues and blues rock is radio moscow totally awesome band regardless of the genre check them out then discuss

lithiumvocals
07-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Radio Moscow is pretty dope.

fmonzo27
07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
word^ also anyone else hear about the new keys album they are already done recording it supposedly its their fastest yet and one song sounds like black sabbath according to dan

amosrock
07-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok. My opinion on The Black Keys has to be taken with a grain of salt since the first album of theirs I've heard is Brothers and the first time I heard it was this morning.

The first thing I thought of when I heard the album however was blues. It has a strong hip hop influence and is definitely could fit in the rock genre too. But it feels more like blues than anything else...to me. I came in this thread looking for some more info about them (which I've found...thanks everyone. plan to check out earlier stuff).

But one thing that concerns me is the amount of people saying they aren't blues just because they aren't traditional. That's like saying Bone Thugs N Harmony aren't hip hop because they sound nothing like the Sugarhill Gang.

Or saying rock & roll of today isn't actually rock because it doesn't sound anything like it did in the 50's.

Music has to evolve. Why should blues be any different?

With that said I fully intend on checking the old Black Keys stuff (I have one other album that I haven't listened to...can't remember which one) as well as checking out some of the other artists people have mentioned. Thanks for the info everyone.

Zoot Allures
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
People who think the black keys aren't blues are people who've never bothered listening to anything except the old blues from back in the day (which in all reality sounded quite different, country blues is quite far apart from chicago style band blues)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOzcabkxE0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA4jfEOanIk

is all blues.

KonaNuNu
08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Here is what I would do to create a "modern blues" band (whatever the hell that is)

1) Take the White Stripes
2) Remove Meg White from her role as drummer
3) Add the drummer from the Black Keys (Patrick is his name I believe) to the White Stripes
4) Crank up the overdrive/distortion/feedback/awesomeness
5) Prepare to be blown away

Blind In 1 Ear
09-04-2011, 03:27 AM
maybe i havent heard enough of them, but honestly what i have heard from them i wouldnt really consider blues so i would say no. & joe bonamassa is actually gaining popularity.

did you actually listen to him? because he doesnt sound anything like SRV. have you even listened to SRV? lol im sorry but im not sure how anyone could actually think that. as for eminem, im not even sure what that comparison is getting at.

anyways, i like joe's playing a lot. he sounds more like a mix of cream era clapton and eric johnson with some paul kossoff in there. but i think his songs can be kinda hit or miss. he doesnt have a raw blues sound thats for sure, but i dont think every blues musician needs to. i think his new CD has some really good tracks on it. his best songs are probably his non blues songs imo.

honestly though, this is all kinda moot because there never has been a clear cut definition of what "blues" actually is.

carmour
09-29-2011, 06:59 AM
REAL forerunners of contemporary blues in my mind are or were people like:

John Mooney
Sean Costello
Kid Andersen (w/ Nightcats or solo)
Darren Watson
Jimmie Vaughan
Charlie Musclewhite
Gary Clark Jr. seems like he could be one to watch

And when I say forerunners I mean people keeping the genre alive with respect to its tradition and history while also interpreting it in new ways

I'm sure theres more but theyre probably all under-publicised, under-appreciated or under-six feet of ground already

skyone
09-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Try black pistol fire, their LP is free to download at http://www.blackpistolfire.tk/

Their sound resembles the black keys... Lovely band

GregJohnsonJr
10-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Russian Moscow <3

willwelsh816
10-24-2011, 10:54 PM
when you think of it, SRV kinda is the eminem of the blues, he was one of a handful of white people that were doing something real well that black people dominated, rapping/blues guitar playing.

kingbabyduck
12-05-2011, 07:11 PM
since I can't find the black keys thread, I'll just post it in here. Anyone hear the new album? I for one think it's awesome, good to hear they are coming back to their struttin rock. Not so fast as they said it was gonna be, but I'm just glad they got away from the Brothers sound.

lushacrous
12-05-2011, 07:16 PM
I like it, but it feels less memorable than Brothers. Nothing touches the old stuff though.

fmonzo27
12-08-2011, 10:26 PM
I love the new album I think it blows brothers out of the water and it has a strong motown vibe i think

narinderkapur
01-07-2012, 09:02 AM
I'd say they get a bit boring after one too many listens. But if they were still around (and I wish like hell they were), I'd say it was The White Stripes that brought it back to the mainstream. I know people say that they were more punk than blues, and loved doing old-time pop hits, reinventing them, but my personal opinion is that without them, I doubt we'd have been introduced to Muddy Waters, Son House, Willie McTell, and Robert Johnson.

TNfootballfan62
01-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I'd say they get a bit boring after one too many listens. But if they were still around (and I wish like hell they were), I'd say it was The White Stripes that brought it back to the mainstream. I know people say that they were more punk than blues, and loved doing old-time pop hits, reinventing them, but my personal opinion is that without them, I doubt we'd have been introduced to Muddy Waters, Son House, Willie McTell, and Robert Johnson.

That's just not true. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "we," there were plenty of people posting in this very forum who love Muddy Waters, Son House, etc, who certainly didn't the help of the White Stripes to find them.

Jazz Funeral
01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
^ Yep.

I've yet to even hear a whole album by the White Stripes, but I'm familiar with those blues artists and more. I was raised in a house where Blues and Southern Rock were played regularly. The Allman Brothers Band is the great crossroads for me in this instance, and one of my musical cornerstones. Period.

TNfootballfan62
01-07-2012, 01:04 PM
The two groups/artists that got me into the "deep" blues like that were SRV and Led Zeppelin. When I started playing guitar, Zep was my favorite band by a mile. I didn't realize that half of what I was listening to was blues. Then I got into SRV, and it really opened everything up for me.

The only reason I like the Black Keys is because I already liked Junior Kimbrough and I found their album Chulahoma.

narinderkapur
01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I should have defined 'we', sorry. I actually meant people who'd never heard the blues before, or heard about the artists within it. Me, for example. Like most people, I started off with Seven Nation Army, and then got their entire discography, bit by bit, and started digging deeper. I found The Black Keys through them, and going deeper until I hit Son House.

ron666
01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I have not heard very many Black Keys songs, but I have heard a lot about them. I was wondering if I can figure out how they sound by comparing them to some other blues acts that I am already familiar with in order to get an idea of what they are like. For instance, how do they compare to Eric Clapton or ZZ Top?

ron666

willwelsh816
01-25-2012, 12:44 PM
they're not guitar solo-oriented like zz top or clapton, more grooves than solos. thats all i can describe about them really, can't think of many other bands like them.

TNfootballfan62
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Their very early stuff is more akin to the old bluesmen like Junior Kimbrough than it is like ZZ Top or Clapton. Gritty, raw blues.

ron666
01-28-2012, 09:10 PM
they're not guitar solo-oriented like zz top or clapton, more grooves than solos. thats all i can describe about them really, can't think of many other bands like them.

Okay so I get it. They use instruments other than guitars to create their sound.

Well thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.

ron666

TNfootballfan62
01-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Okay so I get it. They use instruments other than guitars to create their sound.

Well thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.

ron666

No no no. Not at all. The early Black Keys was just guitar and drums. They just aren't solo oriented. The music is all about the groove.

ron666
02-04-2012, 10:37 PM
No no no. Not at all. The early Black Keys was just guitar and drums. They just aren't solo oriented. The music is all about the groove.

You're kidding, no guitar solos? Holy cow, that's the best part of the song. Sort of like the cream filling in the center of a jelly doughnut.

ron666 :devil:

TNfootballfan62
02-05-2012, 01:28 AM
There are some guitar solos, but the music isn't about the guitar solos. It's about the groove, like I said. Listen to it before you pass judgment. If it's all about solos to you, you better stick to Clapton. ;)

rocknroll93
02-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Not enough blues to be considered blues in my opinion

This.

I dont really like them to be honest... Joe Bonamassa however... <3

Toadvine
02-07-2012, 03:41 AM
I want the Rubber Factory guitar tone.

Suggestions?

TNfootballfan62
02-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Fuzz and lots of it.

Matson
02-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Saw The Keys live the other day. Have to say they used to be and still are damn good, no matter what's the genre...