internet explosion has allowed for a glut of mediocre band

PDA

View Full Version : internet explosion has allowed for a glut of mediocre band

nqcowboy87
05-01-2011, 09:31 AM
this kinda leads me back to another question i had about an end of musical creativity(i heard a paramore song from 2005 that is almost identical to a song on the radio the artist of which im not sure), i was wondering about peoples opinions with the explosion of the internet in regards to social media(facebook, myspace all that other b.s) and youtube as well as home recording software, it has made it easier for bands to get signed and the internet gives you more places to get noticed. my question does this lend itself to giving not so good bands more exposure than they deserve. i mean lets say some college guys do some recordings in garageband and make some mgmt(not having a go at mgmt, im actually a fan) style songs than upload it on facebook and stuff and then as the song is catchy the head honchos at some record labels see that theyre the flavour of the month sign them and bam theyre a band. as opposed to say when bands like silverchair, muse, or the killers where you had to work for what you want. the reason i ask this is that nowdays it seems theres all these bands that crop up out of nowhere that are all of a sudden really popular that i have never heard of, especially when you log into myspace theres always some band on the frontpage that ive never heard of. before 2005 these medicre bands where seen and not heard, and if they where good than they where seen and if they had the drive instead of being fly by nighters than theyd make it and be succesful. i was discussing with a friend, we both think while the all this internet platform has made it easier for bands to make it its brought a lot of mediocrity to the top, like in the qotsa song first it giveth than it taketh away(i know that songs about drugs by the way)

apologies for this rather lengthy rant

T.s.e
05-01-2011, 09:36 AM
"Mediocre" is a matter of personal preference. If people like them, good for them. As long as they're making music that they enjoy making, I don't care how crappy I think the music actually is because it's just my opinion.

gutu
05-01-2011, 09:51 AM
lol that's kinda stupid there were many people full of skill who never had success or were never knowed bc they didn't had to... i mean internet lets guys like bieber for some reason get famous...
But man that doesn't mean every band will be like that, and just because you don't like their sound doesn't mean they're mediocre... Ofc i doubt that the next Slash (or any other of those awsome guirists like jimmy page, jimmy hendrix i think you got it) will come out of the internet soloing like hell...

nqcowboy87
05-01-2011, 09:52 AM
but then it also would mean that with more bands out there, theres more chances of so called "plagiarism" cause theres more songs being played on radio and such, or am i just paranoid

gutu
05-01-2011, 09:53 AM
you won't see any amazing band like b4 man... the times changed... the truth is that if you see lots of them have dif styles... if some1 makes a band with same style you call them copiers if they don't you'll say their style sucks...

Firewhisper
05-01-2011, 09:56 AM
"Mediocre" is a matter of personal preference. If people like them, good for them. As long as they're making music that they enjoy making, I don't care how crappy I think the music actually is because it's just my opinion.

Totally agree.

Also, if a band is that talented and motivated, they will be recognised. If not by a record company, then by at least an audience large enough to be noticed. The bands you find to be really talented and deserve to be signed, are also capable of using social media as a form of music distribution, and if they work that hard, then they'll already a Facebook, Myspace, YouTube channel etc.

Point is, it's not that 'mediocre' bands are taking over, it's that more bands in general are being signed, and music is changing all the time. So, in the end, there's more bands that you don't like around, and maybe more bands around you do like.

Personally, a few bands I quite like didn't get signed until around 2005 onwards, and a lot of ones I hate are in the same time frame.

gutu
05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
lol yeah agree but if you think that way you won't listen to any new song man... Bands now get famous but not that much you got those top bands and the others you don't hear much of them... I heard paramore went to pop/rap now... and okay it was maybe just to get fame or what they wanted at the start just 'cause i love guitar sound i can't judge those who don't

gutu
05-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.s.e

Totally agree.

Also, if a band is that talented and motivated, they will be recognised. If not by a record company, then by at least an audience large enough to be noticed. The bands you find to be really talented and deserve to be signed, are also capable of using social media as a form of music distribution, and if they work that hard, then they'll already a Facebook, Myspace, YouTube channel etc.

Point is, it's not that 'mediocre' bands are taking over, it's that more bands in general are being signed, and music is changing all the time. So, in the end, there's more bands that you don't like around, and maybe more bands around you do like.

Personally, a few bands I quite like didn't get signed until around 2005 onwards, and a lot of ones I hate are in the same time frame.

Agree man but still haven't heard a band i like xD... there is no any amazing rock band formed in this centurie... but i like to belive there will be bands like the one i have now that love rock too and will join and found the society of rock again if you see people on the old times they all knew eachother i think that's what is missing here...

Firewhisper
05-01-2011, 10:06 AM
lol yeah agree but if you think that way you won't listen to any new song man... Bands now get famous but not that much you got those top bands and the others you don't hear much of them... I heard paramore went to pop/rap now... and okay it was maybe just to get fame or what they wanted at the start just 'cause i love guitar sound i can't judge those who don't

They never went to pop/rap, Hayley Williams got an invite from a rapper to be featured on an album, and very few people would turn it down as a chance to further a career, even some of the best have collaborated with rappers etc.

Also, plagiarism isn't as common as people think. When many songwriters use the same chord progressions, scales and various music theories there's bound to be small similarities, particularly when most bands don't use more than 2-3 keys for songs.

How does a band get world famous, like Led Zep, Beatles and other classic rock artists that presumably we're all comparing these new bands to? By either being that amazing, like say Foo Fighters and just being in general some of the most likeable guys in music. Or by being that devoted to your fans that you will be loved by them, like Paramore, who do regular greet and meets, talk to their fans through blogs, twitter etc.

Most bands walk on, play a gig, goodnight and that's about it. They need to do more for fans nowadays, now there's more competition.

nqcowboy87
05-01-2011, 10:06 AM
i like new music the new foo fighters album is pretty good not colour and the shape good but its still pretty decent

lookpizza
05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
TS please shut the hell up, you're an idiot.

'93
05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
actually it puts local bands at an advantage...sure there are those teen hits who were found from the internet but it does help that suddenly a band that before would have had no chance to make it would be able to distibute their music to the entire world

nqcowboy87
05-02-2011, 02:50 AM
i suppose it would come down to if theyre music is good enough and if theyre willing to put the effort in playing and recording that theyll last, and if theyre just crap and are fly by nighters then theyll disapear to where they belong

Ian hawkins
05-09-2011, 08:03 AM
I think you need to realise that you are now homer,when he walks into the record shop and see's posters for all these bands he's never heard of.
Your out of touch.
/pointless addition to thread

Yoda_is_real
05-09-2011, 10:10 AM

This^

I would say the "rise" of the internet has contributed to the world by allowing more people to complain about other people's music. "Bad" music has always existed everywhere, and "bad" musicians got noticed all through out rock history anyway. We just notice it more now.

This is just like the whole "music sucks these days" statement. The reality is, we only remember the good from the past, and "mediocre" bands have always been on the radio.

Personally I like that lo-fi/bedroom sound man, and I'm extremely happy to have a medium to find these bands too.

nashawa
05-09-2011, 10:35 AM
there were many people full of skill who never had success or were never knowed bc they didn't had to... .
This sentence is amazing.

Yoda_is_real
05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
There were many people full of skill who never had success or were never knowed bc they didn't had to...
I think Gutu is a pretty cool guy eh goes around and speaks the truth and doesnt afraid of anything.