What to drink for singing and screaming:

PDA

View Full Version : What to drink for singing and screaming:

Ghast
05-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Alot of people ask about what to drink while doing singing and screaming. Theres only 2 choices in my opinion.

The common option is going to be green tea + honey which works pretty good, I have no complaints. For anyone thats serious (Especially for screaming) I highly reccomend going to your local organic aisle or ordering online ThroatCoat.

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/throatcoat

You don't even need honey if you don't want. It works fine without it. It's only like $5 for a pack of 16 bags, and it's definitely worth the price.

funeralllllllll
05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
beer and no cocaine

SilverSpurs616
05-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Water.

skwelcher
05-02-2011, 08:30 PM
http://urbancanteen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/plastic-water-bottle.jpg

Lots and lots of this.

TommyRack
05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Water.

Also, the best way to use honey as a vocal lubricant is to have it neat - don't put it in a drink, just have a spoonful.

T

IRISH_PUNK13
05-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Water, lemon juice, tea, and honey always helps me. With the honey I normally just squirt a little into my mouth and swallow it to coat my throat. This normally works for at least 15-20 minutes for me, so if you're going to be singing I would recommend keeping some nearby.

My throat has been messed up from being ill for the past few days, and just using the things I listed above helped me to sing with virtually no problems.:cheers:

paranoid joker
05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I know I might get flamed for this. but personally. I play shows 2-3 times a week sometimes. I do harsh vocals and have for since i was 13 ( i am 21 now). a room temperature energy drink, or warm water. work wonders. the energy drinks have loads of sugar and coat your throat. the water lubricates.

merriman44
05-05-2011, 05:57 PM
fellas, your throat diverts from your esophagus well before it reaches your vocal chords. The only things that effect your vox as far as fluids are:

A) the temperature of the drink. Coldness will cause constriction of the vocal cords as it goes by your throat.
B) If the drink is a diuretic. this drains your body of fluids and dries you out. A good example of this is alcohol
C) If the drink has caffeine as it also causes constriction.

Just make sure you are properly hydrated BEFORE you start and you will be fine with a couple of sips of about anything.

Edit: that being said, I will try have to try your tea goodness soon. I do love a good cup.

KrisHQ
05-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Water basically, as everybody else mentioned.
But remember to drink some water in the hours before you've gotta do a show, so your body will he hydrated at the time.
Stay away from:
Sugar
Caffeine
Alchohol

EDIT:
Take a look at this video, it's helpful to some extend. He briefly talks about the things that are bad for your voice.
Click Here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAudXDQKx2s)
For those of you who don't want to watch the movie, he talks about the following:
Sleep
Healthy food
Exercise
Keep relaxed

flyingsheep223
05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
A lot of people argue against alcohol in terms of singing, but something like brandy will actually soothe and relax your vocal chords.

ashleyisafreak
05-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Drink a ton of water about an hour before you sing. While you're singing on stage or in practice, drink tea or apple juice or something like that. You want to be hydrated, hence the water. But the water takes all the natural lubrication off your vocal folds, so you need to help keep them lubricated, hence the tea or whatever. I go through probably a gallon of water in 3 hours before I sing and a bottle or two of apple juice while I'm singing. Good stuff.

Penn100
05-10-2011, 01:03 PM
A lot of people argue against alcohol in terms of singing, but something like brandy will actually soothe and relax your vocal chords.
Well, it will roughen up your voice, and give it a more rock sound. I also find that I get a deeper voice, and am able to hit lower notes than usual.

On the other hand, your throat gets real dried out, and you will have problem reaching high notes. Stay of it if you want to sing technically well.

blueriver
05-10-2011, 01:12 PM
If by a lot, you mean almost every single professional vocalist/trainer, then yes. I would not listen to anyone who told you to drink liquor before singing.

ashleyisafreak
05-10-2011, 01:28 PM
If by a lot, you mean almost every single professional vocalist/trainer, then yes. I would not listen to anyone who told you to drink liquor before singing.

I know someone who would always drink a wine cooler before a show. He had the claim that it relaxed his vocal chords. Well, one show, he didn't have one on hand so he had to go on stage without it. He now refuses to drink alcohol before a show because the difference between singing with it and singing without it was so great, he didn't want to go back. The smallest things can affect your voice. Even coffee. I try to not to drink coffee even in the morning when I have a show at night.

z4twenny
05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
^ +1

my voice teacher has told me that the most important things for a good singing voice are plenty of water (room temp before show) at least 8 hours of sleep and no smoking (which should be obvious)

i can definitely say that the days i get enough sleep and water its alot easier to sing well.

and TS, if you screamed right you shouldn't need anything to "coat your throat" nothing more than water.

Henkdemachtige
05-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Okay, when i sing i drink water on beforehand like you all suggested and it still feels like i didnt drink enough, what to do then? And drink more is no option, i tryed drinking max amount and didnt work, is my vocal stuff messed up in another way?

Chaingarden
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM

This will soothe and relax your prefrontal cortex, making you less ashamed to sing.

Honestly, just water is the best. I'm always wary of miracle cures for anything. People have been able to sing well and for a long period of time for thousands of years. They hadn't invented gimmicks yet ;)

ashleyisafreak
05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Okay, when i sing i drink water on beforehand like you all suggested and it still feels like i didnt drink enough, what to do then? And drink more is no option, i tryed drinking max amount and didnt work, is my vocal stuff messed up in another way?
Try apple juice. It has the same consistency as the mucus in your throat and will help balance some stuff out. Water is good to hydrate everything in there, but you've gotta drink something to lock the moisture in. I swear by apple juice and maybe some of the bottled green tea with honey.

merriman44
05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Henkdemachtige- Its because your either still dehydrated (need to drink more early), nervous, not enough sleep, or you are meds that cause dry mouth.