is being over-rated possible.....

PDA

View Full Version : is being over-rated possible.....

johnwolennon
05-08-2011, 07:07 PM
for bands that are generally considered good? I've seen a lot of people that call this band and that band over-rated that seems to be considered good, but don't really give too many valid reasons. So I was wondering if something like this was possible, or it was just people not liking a band because other people like it, or it's not the style they're into.

gman128
05-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I think ppl get over-hyped and over-rated confused. I.e. Avenged sevenfold are over hyped, look at the most recent metal/rock award show - the golden gods - they cleaned up and got 4 awards. is that because they are over-hyped - yes. I mean this doesn't mean they are untalented, or bad, it just means people seem to love to over egg the pudding at an award show where there are as many equally talented acts vying for awards.

Over-rating is what ppl do of independent parts of bands i.e. Travis barker - "omdz he is an amazing drummer" - no. He is amazing if you've never heard someone better - like Portnoy, Haake, Roddy, etc.... lots more. And it's always ppl who listen to music but don't play instruments who are impressed by him looking like he's attacking the kit when he plays. People who aren't in the know tend to over rate - as well as over hype, but they are different things

gman128
05-08-2011, 07:30 PM
maybe that was a bit long, ok basically non musicians tend to overrate. i.e. all those silly emo girls who love bullet for my valentine, or the ones that think they are sick and love emmure. "omg aren't bfmv amazing". No they are not; good yes but amazing no. But due to all the other bells and whistles - look, haircuts, pyrotechnics at shows, everyone who doesn't play music gets wowed and overrates them.

Over hyping is done to bands that are big already - i.e. when Kings of Leon are about to release an album, all the critics are waiting with baited breath

guitar_rules311
05-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes it is possible for a good band to be overrated. Way too often people call good, or mediocre bands "the best band ever". That's not over hyping. It's overrating.

gman128
05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
yh fair point, but i always think it's people that just haven't heard better stuff

Joshua1207
05-08-2011, 07:54 PM
gman, you're terrible.

johnwolennon
05-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Ok, this is what I've got from the conversation so far: over-hyping has to do with people buying into a band because of heightened publicity, and over-rating is a result of a limited musical library

Joshua1207
05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok, this is what I've got from the conversation so far: over-hyping has to do with people buying into a band because of heightened publicity, and over-rating is a result of a limited musical library

Which is wrong. Over-hyping and over-rated are pretty much the same thing. A band being liked more than they should whether they're good or not. Doesn't matter how much music you listen to or not.

EDIT: I guess I use overrated when the band is bad and use over-hyped when I like the band but they are liked too much by the public, if that makes sense.

johnwolennon
05-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Which is wrong. Over-hyping and over-rated are pretty much the same thing. A band being liked more than they should whether they're good or not. Doesn't matter how much music you listen to or not.

EDIT: I guess I use overrated when the band is bad and use over-hyped when I like the band but they are liked too much by the public, if that makes sense.

I might understand it. From what you said, it seems like over-rated and over-hyped are two different levels of a band ranking system based on personal vs public opinion.

celestialelixir
05-09-2011, 08:28 AM
I would say the guys in Dream Theater are all very talented musicians, but I believe they are extremely overrated as a band.

I like BTBAM, but I believe they too, are overrated.

I think Jimi Hendrix was an overrated guitarist.

Usually a reason doesn't need to be given. It's pretty self-explanatory. If I believe a band is overrated, then I believe people give the band more credit than they're worth. That isn't to say the band is bad, but I don't think many bands are worthing jizzing your brains out over.

phoenix_crush
05-09-2011, 08:47 AM
La Dispute is my favorite band, but lately they've become overrated. Kids hear one song and go "OMGZ best band evar!!!1!". I mean, they do deserve the hype, but Jordan Dreyer isn't god's gift to the world...

johnwolennon
05-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I would say the guys in Dream Theater are all very talented musicians, but I believe they are extremely overrated as a band.

I like BTBAM, but I believe they too, are overrated.

I think Jimi Hendrix was an overrated guitarist.

Usually a reason doesn't need to be given. It's pretty self-explanatory. If I believe a band is overrated, then I believe people give the band more credit than they're worth. That isn't to say the band is bad, but I don't think many bands are worthing jizzing your brains out over.

I think a reason, if not multiple reasons, needs to be given for why people like Hendrix, who is considered the greatest guitarist of all time, would be considered over-rated, and why they're not as good as people say they are.

Also, what makes Dream Theater and BTBAM over-rated?

And finally, I don't understand the whole bands "worthing jizzing your brains out over" thing. What does that mean, and what bands are worth it in your opinion?

johnwolennon
05-09-2011, 10:38 AM
La Dispute is my favorite band, but lately they've become overrated. Kids hear one song and go "OMGZ best band evar!!!1!". I mean, they do deserve the hype, but Jordan Dreyer isn't god's gift to the world...

This seems to be an example of a band being over-hyped, according to what people have said earlier in the discussion.

phoenix_crush
05-09-2011, 12:53 PM
This seems to be an example of a band being over-hyped, according to what people have said earlier in the discussion.
yeah, I guess so.

nashawa
05-09-2011, 02:12 PM
It's the same thing. Christ you people are ridiculous.

johnwolennon
05-09-2011, 07:20 PM
It's the same thing. Christ you people are ridiculous.

Wow, you're angry.

nashawa
05-09-2011, 10:37 PM
So angry.

Seriously though, they're the same thing.

neidnarb11890
05-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Is being overweight possible?

nashawa
05-09-2011, 11:06 PM
I've never met an overweight person in my life.

johnwolennon
05-10-2011, 12:17 AM
So angry.

Seriously though, they're the same thing.

For the sake of discussion, how are they the same thing? How can you tell they're not different things, or just different parts of a larger thing? And also, just to make sure, have you read every post, or did you just skim over?

nashawa
05-10-2011, 02:23 AM
I've read the thread in it's entirety, and hype and praise in the music world are synonymous (if the hype is positive, anyway). Something cannot be overhyped without also being overrated (again, assuming the hype is positive). I feel like this discussion is being perpetrated by people trying their hardest to defend their favourite artists by saying they are not, in fact, overrated.

johnwolennon
05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
I've read the thread in it's entirety, and hype and praise in the music world are synonymous (if the hype is positive, anyway). Something cannot be overhyped without also being overrated (again, assuming the hype is positive). I feel like this discussion is being perpetrated by people trying their hardest to defend their favourite artists by saying they are not, in fact, overrated.

Alright. That makes sense. There's a lot of people that do that.

Moving onto the next part of the argument, what makes a band over-rated? This will bring up the questions of what makes a band good, and what makes a band not so good.

Joshua1207
05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Alright. That makes sense. There's a lot of people that do that.

Moving onto the next part of the argument, what makes a band over-rated? This will bring up the questions of what makes a band good, and what makes a band not so good.

We've been over this. A band being liked more than they should whether they're good or not. Its all personal opinion anyways. I think all classic rock is p much overrated but someone else on here will probably defend to the death that that was the best time decade of music (lol at that person though).

johnwolennon
05-10-2011, 07:36 PM
We've been over this. A band being liked more than they should whether they're good or not. Its all personal opinion anyways. I think all classic rock is p much overrated but someone else on here will probably defend to the death that that was the best time decade of music (lol at that person though).

What makes you think all classic rock is overrated? Without the songs that came before, there wouldn't be the music that's coming out today.

nashawa
05-10-2011, 08:21 PM
What makes you think all classic rock is overrated? Without the songs that came before, there wouldn't be the music that's coming out today.
Oh please... if different music came out in the classic rock era, we'd still have music today. And who's to say it wouldn't be better?

johnwolennon
05-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Oh please... if different music came out in the classic rock era, we'd still have music today. And who's to say it wouldn't be better?

That makes no sense. I didn't say there wouldn't be any music today, I said that there wouldn't be the kind of music we have today. Also, if the music back then was different, the music today would be different as well. And just curious, but what years would you consider the classic rock era?

lookpizza
05-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Overhyped - The new Touch Amore album (that isn't out yet) is going to be the best hardcore album of the year.
Overratted- Touche Amore is the best hardcore band ever.

'93
05-11-2011, 02:48 AM
well classic rock is kind of overrated...but at the same time it isnt

personally i think the 80s were overrated. i think that the pop was really horrible, with all those effects on the voice and stuff and 80s rock wasnt that great either. just a bunch of guys who could play their guitar fast

but you see...i gave reason :P

Joshua1207
05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
That makes no sense. I didn't say there wouldn't be any music today, I said that there wouldn't be the kind of music we have today. Also, if the music back then was different, the music today would be different as well. And just curious, but what years would you consider the classic rock era?

Well most of the bands I listen to weren't influenced by Led Zep, Pink Floyd, etc so p sure I'd still have my music.
Talking about 60-70's being classic rock (although 80's is bad too but thats for another discussion). I'm not saying that there wasn't anything good back then, but a lot of it was bad, or at least overrated. Its all so boring and the same, I swear.

johnwolennon
05-11-2011, 10:52 AM
well classic rock is kind of overrated...but at the same time it isnt

personally i think the 80s were overrated. i think that the pop was really horrible, with all those effects on the voice and stuff and 80s rock wasnt that great either. just a bunch of guys who could play their guitar fast

but you see...i gave reason :P

It's not all the 80s, but I know what type of music you're talking about. There's a lot of people that played fast just to show how fast they could play, which is impressive, but not that great musically.

johnwolennon
05-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Well most of the bands I listen to weren't influenced by Led Zep, Pink Floyd, etc so p sure I'd still have my music.
Talking about 60-70's being classic rock (although 80's is bad too but thats for another discussion). I'm not saying that there wasn't anything good back then, but a lot of it was bad, or at least overrated. Its all so boring and the same, I swear.

What bands do you listen to? There's a lot more bands in "classic rock" than Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I could go on for pages just listing the good bands from the 60s and 70s. Calling whole decades of music overrated is calling every single band or performer that released music then overrated.

Just the 60s-70s? What about the 50s? How much music from the 60s-70s have you listened to? If you think Pink Floyd, John Denver, and the Beach Boys sound the same, you can't tell differences.

Also, there's boring music and similar music no matter what decade it is, and there's a lot of crappy music made in every decade (including this one and the last one.)

lookpizza
05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
This thread is so terrible.

johnwolennon
05-11-2011, 04:09 PM
This thread is so terrible.

Then why comment on it?

lookpizza
05-11-2011, 04:12 PM
If you saw a train crash you wouldn't say something like, "oh wow, that traincrash was terrible"?

johnwolennon
05-11-2011, 08:01 PM
If you saw a train crash you wouldn't say something like, "oh wow, that traincrash was terrible"?

I don't know, I've never seen a train crash.

due 07
05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
:haha

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 12:23 AM
What bands do you listen to? There's a lot more bands in "classic rock" than Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I could go on for pages just listing the good bands from the 60s and 70s. Calling whole decades of music overrated is calling every single band or performer that released music then overrated.

Just the 60s-70s? What about the 50s? How much music from the 60s-70s have you listened to? If you think Pink Floyd, John Denver, and the Beach Boys sound the same, you can't tell differences.

Also, there's boring music and similar music no matter what decade it is, and there's a lot of crappy music made in every decade (including this one and the last one.)

I listen to a shitload of music. I'll list just a couple I guess: Sleigh Bells, Fang Island, Warpaint, Modest Mouse, Best Coast, The Liars, Mimicking Birds, Crystal Castles, Titus Andronicus, etc. I could list more, but I don't see what the point of it would be.

I'm talking about mainstream 60s-70s being overrated. I haven't listened to too much of the 60s-70s because its p boring. Nothing exciting really happened in music back then.

due 07
05-12-2011, 01:17 AM
I listen to a shitload of music. I'll list just a couple I guess: Sleigh Bells, Fang Island, Warpaint, Modest Mouse, Best Coast, The Liars, Mimicking Birds, Crystal Castles, Titus Andronicus, etc. I could list more, but I don't see what the point of it would be.

I'm talking about mainstream 60s-70s being overrated. I haven't listened to too much of the 60s-70s because its p boring. Nothing exciting really happened in music back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Nffq0bOgE

And one of the most best pop songs ever written was written in the 60s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD95QaVTH1U

^Lawl, speaking of over-rated.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Like hipster alert!

TrueBlues
05-12-2011, 04:48 AM

Boy, get your coat and leave, you are talking shit. I just listened to a Best Coast song on Youtube, so by your own admission, that qualifies me to talk about her entire back catalog. Now that was boring music. Have you ever heard of Stax? Motown? Atlantic? Chess?

eazy-c
05-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Dude brah, p4k likes The Beach Boys too.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Like hipster alert!

Clearly doesn't know what a hipster is

Boy, get your coat and leave, you are talking shit. I just listened to a Best Coast song on Youtube, so by your own admission, that qualifies me to talk about her entire back catalog. Now that was boring music. Have you ever heard of Stax? Motown? Atlantic? Chess?

Well if you find Best Coast boring, then you're worse at music than I thought. I'll be sure to look up those bands and laugh at them though.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Clearly doesn't know what a hipster is

Well if you find Best Coast boring, then you're worse at music than I thought. I'll be sure to look up those bands and laugh at them though.

You're a complete moron. Those are record labels, not bands.

NotFromANUS
05-12-2011, 10:56 AM
for bands that are generally considered good? I've seen a lot of people that call this band and that band over-rated that seems to be considered good, but don't really give too many valid reasons. So I was wondering if something like this was possible, or it was just people not liking a band because other people like it, or it's not the style they're into.
If one declares a band's quality to be higher than it actually is, then they have overrated them (regardless of where they stand). This isn't even really a discussion.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Let's take a look at the influences of the bands you listed. I'll have to post it up one band at a time though.
========
Sleigh Bells
"What are your musical influences?

Whatever sounds good, from whatever genre/decade. Soul, early R&B, the Motown stuff, pop ... I love Creedence Clearwater Revival, super hard. I like pop, simple pop -- borderline "dumb" like Belinda Carlisle's solo stuff, George Michael. I like slick pop. Phil Collins' records are really weird and great. We have all heard those singles so many times, we forget how strange they sound. "
http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/11/sleigh-bells-interview-sxsw-2010/

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Fang Island
"Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
From year 1 to 18, I would say the Beatles, and from 18 to the present, I would say Rolling Stones."
http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/15/fang-island-interview-sxsw-2010/

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 10:59 AM
========
Warpaint
"What are some of the influences of the band?

The music I grew up with and was listening to as a kid was the Cure, Depeche Mode, Bauhaus, Talking Heads, Radiohead, Blonde Redhead, all the Heads. My mother listened to pop music when I was little, I mean really pop music like Debbie Gibson, Janet Jackson, Laura Branigan, a lot of old school r&b. The other girls grew up in Eugene, Oregon, so that’s very much a hippie based town, listening to psych rock. I think that’s why when we come together to make music, we bring a lot of different influences, matched together [our music is] everything we want to convey."
http://stadium-arcadium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27244

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Modest Mouse
"Modest Mouse influences include Pixies, Meat Puppets, early Pavement and Sunny Day Real Estate."
http://www.chacha.com/question/who-does-the-band-modest-mouse-site-as-their-influences
"one-minute emotional burst of Might, the vehement funk-punk of Tundra/ Desert, and Lounge, in the vein of early Talking Heads (with another long coda, this time pivoting around an austere duet of cello and guitar). "
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol5/modestmo.html

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Best Coast

I have lot of older influences - the Beach Boys and the Beatles, and a lot of oldies and pop stuff. I'm really inspired by Lesley Gore and Dusty Springfield and female artists from the 60s. It may not really show, but I like a lot of 90s shoegaze stuff like Slowdive."

http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/12/best-coast-interview-sxsw-2010/

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
The Liars
"What kind of other artists, regardless of medium, have you been geeking out on as of late?

Andrew: I LIKE TO READ A LOT. FOR ME, A GOOD AUTHOR CAN TAKE YOU ELSEWHERE. LATELY I'VE BEEN REALLY INTERESTED IN FIRST-TIME NOVELISTS. TOM MCCARTHY, STEPHAN HALL, STEVE TOLTZ, JOSHUA FERRIS -- ALL HAVE WRITTEN INTERESTING NOVELS RECENTLY.

Hemphill: NDS: THE LEGENDARY PINK DOTS, SIGHTINGS, ONEIDA, PINK DOLLAZ, WU-TANG CLAN, KING TUBBY, CHOPIN, MORTON FELDMAN. ARTISTS: CHRISTIAN BOLTANSKI. SADLY, ALEXANDER MCQUEEN'S DEATH HAS PROMPTED ME TO REACQUAINT MYSELF WITH HIS WORK."
http://www.redefinemag.com/music/interviews_music_2.php?artist=Liars&id=107

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 11:02 AM
This is taking a while. Hopefully the rest of it will be able to fit in one reply. The reason why I've been putting the bands one at a time is because I tried posting the whole thing, and the internet froze every time.

Nate Lacy from Mimicking Birds
"I would say, you know, Mick Jagger is a huge influence of mine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H0eU4LDDIY
========
Crystal Castles
“On the road we listen to Sonic Youth, the Stooges, Joy Division, black metal bands like Emperor, Mutilation. We’re not going to be listening to dance music.”
http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/story.cfm?content=161851
========
Titus Andronicus

If you believe our MySpace page, then our musical influences are the Television Personalities, Galaxie 500, Big Country, Neutral Milk Hotel, Weezer, and so on. If you believe what you read in the papers, then our influences are Bruce Springsteen and Bright Eyes and nothing else. The choice is yours."

http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/01/sxsw-2010-titus-andronicus/
========
Every single one of those bands you listed is influenced by classic rock.
They were mainstream for a reason. Not liking something because it's mainstream isn't a valid reason for not liking it.
It's only boring because you make it boring by not being open to music from nback then. You don't know much about the history of Rock and Roll, and how it's shaped the way music is made today. For one, you'd know that Rock and Roll started in the 50s.
"Nothing exciting really happened in music back then" That's a bunch of bull. Music was revolutionised during the 60s and 70s. The way you record string arrangements, the way a bass can actually be a main component of a song, the fact that you can have as many overdubs as you want, anything that deals with channel surving, reverse guitar, reverse vocals, manipulating feedback, punk music, folk rock, metal, progressive rock, art rock, garage rock, psychadelic music, and much more all came from the 60s and 70s. Not to mention Woodstock and the Monterey Pop Festival of 1967.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Nffq0bOgE

And one of the most best pop songs ever written was written in the 60s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD95QaVTH1U

^Lawl, speaking of over-rated.

not sure whether you're joking or serious.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 11:07 AM
If one declares a band's quality to be higher than it actually is, then they have overrated them (regardless of where they stand). This isn't even really a discussion.

Actually it is a discussion, which by saying something you have entered into. For however long or short a time you end up doing so is a different matter..

nashawa
05-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Have you ever heard of Stax? Motown? Atlantic? Chess?

:facepalm:

Also, holy shit... there IS an edit button..

gravatrax
05-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Well what band are you referring to? Music is very subjective. I could go through a list of bands that are overrated in my opinion.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 11:35 AM
:facepalm:

Also, holy shit... there IS an edit button..

Yeah, I just didn't want to go through the internet freezing again. It was annoying.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Well what band are you referring to? Music is very subjective. I could go through a list of bands that are overrated in my opinion.

I'm not talking about one band in specific, just the bands that a majority of people think are good.

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
You might just be the most stereotypical hipster I've ever seen. Too bad your name is Joshua and you are, therefore, a male, because otherwise I'd woo you, introduce you to Andrew Jackson Jihad and La Dispute (who you'd think are the BEST BANDS EVAR) and then make love to you for many a year.

TrueBlues
05-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Joshua, you don't know anything about my musical knowledge, or my knowledge in general, however, I would put a lot of money on it being much better than yours. And you seem to have proved that for me.

TheRimeOfIcarus
05-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Portnoy, Haake, Roddy, etc.

Hahahaha.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Fang Island
"Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
From year 1 to 18, I would say the Beatles, and from 18 to the present, I would say Rolling Stones."
http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/15/fang-island-interview-sxsw-2010/

From that article "What are your musical influences?

Personally, there's a few that we really share. All sort of mid-'90s distorted pop, guitar rock. The list is kind of infinite, especially when you ask all of us, but I think Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer are big ones. I guess '90s rock."

Well... yeah so. You kind of lose that one?

Modest Mouse
"Modest Mouse influences include Pixies, Meat Puppets, early Pavement and Sunny Day Real Estate."
http://www.chacha.com/question/who-does-the-band-modest-mouse-site-as-their-influences
"one-minute emotional burst of Might, the vehement funk-punk of Tundra/ Desert, and Lounge, in the vein of early Talking Heads (with another long coda, this time pivoting around an austere duet of cello and guitar). "
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol5/modestmo.html

Oh hey cool, some 80s and 90s bands. That sure is classic rock.

Best Coast

I have lot of older influences - the Beach Boys and the Beatles, and a lot of oldies and pop stuff. I'm really inspired by Lesley Gore and Dusty Springfield and female artists from the 60s. It may not really show, but I like a lot of 90s shoegaze stuff like Slowdive."

http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/12/best-coast-interview-sxsw-2010/

Oh hey, they really like 90s shoegaze... that sure is classic rock too! (But their music is a bit like the Beach Boys so I'll give that a tie, eh?)

The Liars
"What kind of other artists, regardless of medium, have you been geeking out on as of late?

Andrew: I LIKE TO READ A LOT. FOR ME, A GOOD AUTHOR CAN TAKE YOU ELSEWHERE. LATELY I'VE BEEN REALLY INTERESTED IN FIRST-TIME NOVELISTS. TOM MCCARTHY, STEPHAN HALL, STEVE TOLTZ, JOSHUA FERRIS -- ALL HAVE WRITTEN INTERESTING NOVELS RECENTLY.

Hemphill: NDS: THE LEGENDARY PINK DOTS, SIGHTINGS, ONEIDA, PINK DOLLAZ, WU-TANG CLAN, KING TUBBY, CHOPIN, MORTON FELDMAN. ARTISTS: CHRISTIAN BOLTANSKI. SADLY, ALEXANDER MCQUEEN'S DEATH HAS PROMPTED ME TO REACQUAINT MYSELF WITH HIS WORK."
http://www.redefinemag.com/music/interviews_music_2.php?artist=Liars&id=107

Awesome, more 80s and 90s shit. Some of that stuff is older but eh.

This is taking a while. Hopefully the rest of it will be able to fit in one reply. The reason why I've been putting the bands one at a time is because I tried posting the whole thing, and the internet froze every time.

Nate Lacy from Mimicking Birds
"I would say, you know, Mick Jagger is a huge influence of mine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H0eU4LDDIY
========
Crystal Castles
“On the road we listen to Sonic Youth, the Stooges, Joy Division, black metal bands like Emperor, Mutilation. We’re not going to be listening to dance music.”
http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/story.cfm?content=161851
========
Titus Andronicus

If you believe our MySpace page, then our musical influences are the Television Personalities, Galaxie 500, Big Country, Neutral Milk Hotel, Weezer, and so on. If you believe what you read in the papers, then our influences are Bruce Springsteen and Bright Eyes and nothing else. The choice is yours."

http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/01/sxsw-2010-titus-andronicus/

Mimicking Birds, okay.
Sonic Youth and Emperor both aren't classic rock. The Stooges, sure. Joy Division may from the 70s but I wouldn't really call them classic rock. Don't know of Mutilation.
Television Personalities' debut album came out in the 80s so. Neutral Milk Hotel is a 90s band... Galaxie 500 another 80s band. Weezer is a 90s band.

Man you are terrible at this. So I'm pretty sure you helped prove my point in all of those posts?
Also to the people above, learn what a hipster is. God damn you guys are bad. My bad that I didn't know those were record companies, as if I care.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Joshua, you don't know anything about my musical knowledge, or my knowledge in general, however, I would put a lot of money on it being much better than yours. And you seem to have proved that for me.

You seem pretty mad.

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Also to the people above, learn what a hipster is. God damn you guys are bad. My bad that I didn't know those were record companies, as if I care.
You're pretentious about music and like typical hipster bands in the vein of Modest Mouse, Sleigh Bells, etc etc. You are a hipster. Even if you don't dress like one. Although you probably do.

It's not always a bad thing, it's just what it is.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 07:05 PM
"From that article "What are your musical influences?

Personally, there's a few that we really share. All sort of mid-'90s distorted pop, guitar rock. The list is kind of infinite, especially when you ask all of us, but I think Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer are big ones. I guess '90s rock."
Well... yeah so. You kind of lose that one?"

Don't think so. They like the Rolling Stones, so that means they're influenced by them. Which makes them influenced by a classic rock band.

"Oh hey cool, some 80s and 90s bands. That sure is classic rock."Meat Puppet formed in 1980. I consider the cutoff for classic rock to be 1985.

"Oh hey, they really like 90s shoegaze... that sure is classic rock too! (But their music is a bit like the Beach Boys so I'll give that a tie, eh?)"
How is that a tie? In an argument of whether or not they're influenced by older bands, I win by the fact that they are.

"Awesome, more 80s and 90s shit. Some of that stuff is older but eh."
Sure, go ahead and ignore the older stuff.

"Mimicking Birds, okay.
Sonic Youth and Emperor both aren't classic rock. The Stooges, sure. Joy Division may from the 70s but I wouldn't really call them classic rock. Don't know of Mutilation.
Television Personalities' debut album came out in the 80s so. Neutral Milk Hotel is a 90s band... Galaxie 500 another 80s band. Weezer is a 90s band." You consider bands from the 60s and 70s classic rock, but Joy Division, a band from the 70s, not classic rock? That makes no sense. Also, you forgot to mention Bruce Springsteen, who started his music career in the early 60s.

"Man you are terrible at this. So I'm pretty sure you helped prove my point in all of those posts?" What point was that?

"Also to the people above, learn what a hipster is. God damn you guys are bad. My bad that I didn't know those were record companies, as if I care."
You should care. All of those record companies had huge impacts on music history, and Motown Records helped create a whole genre of music.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 07:07 PM
You seem pretty mad.

He doesn't seem mad at all. He's saying something, and it seems to be calmly written.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 07:33 PM
You're pretentious about music and like typical hipster bands in the vein of Modest Mouse, Sleigh Bells, etc etc. You are a hipster. Even if you don't dress like one. Although you probably do.

It's not always a bad thing, it's just what it is.

I'm not pretentious about music at all. I just find classic rock overrated. You should never talk about music if you think liking Modest Mouse and Sleigh Bells makes you a hipster. You are really, really stupid if you think liking indie rock is hipster. So back to my original point of you (and the rest of this forum) not knowing what a hipster is.

Back at John, none of those bands were heavily influenced by 60s-70s. Its cool that they like a couple bands from the 60s-70s even though they say that they were influenced most from 80s-90s stuff. I like the band Sweet, but does that mean I would say that I was influenced by 70s work? Not at all.

Thats cool that you think classic rock goes into '85, even though the whole time I've been referring to 60s-70s.
I don't consider Joy Division to be classic rock because they aren't a rock band? They're more punkish.

nashawa
05-12-2011, 07:47 PM
This is what makes you a hipster. You like shitty indie rock and you act like you have a deep breadth of musical knowledge when in fact, you know next to nothing. That's stereotypical hipster behaviour.

You probably wear scarves.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Clearly doesn't know what a hipster is.
Sleigh Bells, Fang Island, Warpaint, Modest Mouse, Best Coast, The Liars, Mimicking Birds, Crystal Castles, Titus Andronicus
No those are definitely hipster bands.

edit: Also what Nash just said.

due 07
05-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm not pretentious about music at all. I just find classic rock overrated. You should never talk about music if you think liking Modest Mouse and Sleigh Bells makes you a hipster. You are really, really stupid if you think liking indie rock is hipster. So back to my original point of you (and the rest of this forum) not knowing what a hipster is.

Back at John, none of those bands were heavily influenced by 60s-70s. Its cool that they like a couple bands from the 60s-70s even though they say that they were influenced most from 80s-90s stuff. I like the band Sweet, but does that mean I would say that I was influenced by 70s work? Not at all.

Thats cool that you think classic rock goes into '85, even though the whole time I've been referring to 60s-70s.
I don't consider Joy Division to be classic rock because they aren't a rock band? They're more punkish.

You are such a hipster.

I looked at the bands you listed in your profile, and really, you are. However, you live in WA, which is cool. I live in Yakima.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I bet he lives in Seattle.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 07:51 PM
This is what makes you a hipster. You like shitty indie rock and you act like you have a deep breadth of musical knowledge when in fact, you know next to nothing. That's stereotypical hipster behaviour.

You probably wear scarves.

I hate scarves. Haha, shitty indie-rock? Who is being pretentious now?

No those are definitely hipster bands.

edit: Also what Nash just said.

Enlighten me and explain how those are hipster bands? I would love to hear what you have to say.

due 07
05-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I bet he lives in Seattle.

Pfft, probably. amirite?

I want to move to Seattle or Portland after high school :sad:

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
You are such a hipster.

I looked at the bands you listed in your profile, and really, you are. However, you live in WA, which is cool. I live in Yakima.

Once again, liking indie-rock =/= hipster. You guys have some weird definitions of hipster, or again don't know what one is.
WA is a pretty cool place. Tad bit too rainy though.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Pfft, probably. amirite?

I want to move to Seattle or Portland after high school :sad:

I love Portland, its very nice there.

due 07
05-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Once again, liking indie-rock =/= hipster. You guys have some weird definitions of hipster, or again don't know what one is.

I live east of the cascades. No rain here ever.

Hipster.

>_>

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 07:55 PM
I live east of the cascades. No rain here ever.

Hipster.

>_>

Rains here almost every single day. Its starting to get nice out though since its almost summer.

Liking Portland makes me a hipster too now? Oh lord :rolleyes:
This thread has been funny though. I hope a mod sees it and puts it in the archive of best threads. I think it'd be funny.

due 07
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Rains here almost every single day. Its starting to get nice out though since its almost summer.

Liking Portland makes me a hipster too now? Oh lord :rolleyes:
This thread has been funny though. I hope a mod sees it and puts it in the archive of best threads. I think it'd be funny.
I like Portland a lot. It's just when you are being called a hipster and defending it, saying you think Portland is a very nice place is funny. Because like 50% people are snobby art kids.

I don't mind hipsters if they don't have a snooty, bored attitude.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 07:58 PM
"I'm not pretentious about music at all. I just find classic rock overrated." Then you shouldn't state things as if they are fact when they're just your opinion.

"Back at John, none of those bands were heavily influenced by 60s-70s. Its cool that they like a couple bands from the 60s-70s even though they say that they were influenced most from 80s-90s stuff." Did you not listen to or read the interviews? They said those bands were ones that influenced them (including ones from the 60s-70s and one of them was influenced by classical music). And if you like a band, you're about 97 percent likely to take something from their music and incorporate it with yours. If someone says that a major influence is a 60s or 70s artist, they're heavily influenced by them. Plus, you can be heavily/majorly influenced by bands from the 60s at the same time as ones from the 90s.

"I like the band Sweet, but does that mean I would say that I was influenced by 70s work? Not at all." If you're influenced by the band Sweeet, which is from the 70s, then you're influenced by something from the 70s.

"Thats cool that you think classic rock goes into '85, even though the whole time I've been referring to 60s-70s." You've been referring to 60s-70s as classic rock, being completely ignorant of the rock and roll that came from the 50s.

"I don't consider Joy Division to be classic rock because they aren't a rock band? They're more punkish." punk is short for punk rock. Even if they're a punk band, that means they're a punk rock band, which means they're a rock band.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 07:59 PM
I like Portland a lot. It's just when you are being called a hipster and defending it, saying you think Portland is a very nice place is funny. Because like 50% people are snobby art kids.

I don't mind hipsters if they don't have a snooty, bored attitude.

I don't really know people in Portland, I just go there with my family once a year for Christmas shopping (no tax is awesome). I've liked it every time I've been there. I still don't understand why you guys thinking liking indie rock means being a hipster.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 08:02 PM

If you know what hipster means, then define it for us.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:02 PM
"I'm not pretentious about music at all. I just find classic rock overrated." Then you shouldn't state things as if they are fact when they're just your opinion.

"Back at John, none of those bands were heavily influenced by 60s-70s. Its cool that they like a couple bands from the 60s-70s even though they say that they were influenced most from 80s-90s stuff." Did you not listen to or read the interviews? They said those bands were ones that influenced them (including ones from the 60s-70s and one of them was influenced by classical music). And if you like a band, you're about 97 percent likely to take something from their music and incorporate it with yours. If someone says that a major influence is a 60s or 70s artist, they're heavily influenced by them. Plus, you can be heavily/majorly influenced by bands from the 60s at the same time as ones from the 90s.

"I like the band Sweet, but does that mean I would say that I was influenced by 70s work? Not at all." If you're influenced by the band Sweeet, which is from the 70s, then you're influenced by something from the 70s.

"Thats cool that you think classic rock goes into '85, even though the whole time I've been referring to 60s-70s." You've been referring to 60s-70s as classic rock, being completely ignorant of the rock and roll that came from the 50s.

"I don't consider Joy Division to be classic rock because they aren't a rock band? They're more punkish." punk is short for punk rock. Even if they're a punk band, that means they're a punk rock band, which means they're a rock band.

You can like a band and not incorporate it into your music. Like I said with the band Sweet, I haven't incorporated anything from their music into mine. My music isn't glam at all.
I don't know much of the 50s which is why I am not talking about the 50s. What would be the point.

Anyways, this is going nowhere. I don't even see the point in arguing anymore.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I don't really know people in Portland, I just go there with my family once a year for Christmas shopping (no tax is awesome). I've liked it every time I've been there. I still don't understand why you guys thinking liking indie rock means being a hipster.

It's not liking indie rock that makes you a hipster in their eyes. It's liking those specific bands.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:04 PM
If you know what hipster means, then define it for us.

Well, I'll let you guys do that for me since you guys are the ones throwing around that term to me. I'd love to hear it.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:05 PM
It's not liking indie rock that makes you a hipster in their eyes. It's liking those specific bands.

Oh my god, I would love to hear why liking those bands makes someone hipster. I've already asked this once, but the guy still hasn't answered. Maybe you can?

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I hate scarves. Haha, shitty indie-rock? Who is being pretentious now?

Enlighten me and explain how those are hipster bands? I would love to hear what you have to say.
Sleigh Bells: Trendy electronic music, with one of the dudes from PTW? Sounds pretty hip to me.

Fang Island: Never heard of them but the first thing their last.fm says is this "self-proclaimed Healing & Easy Listening / Visual", also another band with a dude from a heavy band (Daughters). Sounds pretty hip to me.

Warpaint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFxb0F2F2A sounds pretty hip to me.

Modest Mouse: ****ing hipster 101 right here.

Best Coast: Probably thee biggest hipster band right now.. besides Wavves.

The Liars: Never heard of these guys either, couldn't easily find them. Sounds pretty hip to me.

Mimicking Birds: Lol come on now.. do I really have to explain this one to you? Plus they're from Portland. Sounds pretty hip to me.

Crystal Castles: I take back what I said about Best Coast, these guys are ****ing huge with hipsters. Hell weren't they even on Skins?

Titus Andronicus: Probably the least hipster band on your list and they're still pretty ****ing hipster... See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fqHr_KGPY scarves.

Also the way your so deadset against being called a hipster is a probably a pretty good clue to how hipster you are.

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 08:06 PM

Also, yes. Please tell us what a hipster is then...enlighten us. I'm dying here. Literally everything stated in this thread and on your profile gives me reason to believe that you're a very stereotypical hipster.

Maybe he's denying being a hipster for the irony of it? If so, bravo

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:08 PM
So lookpizza pretty much did nothing at all but say "sounds/looks pretty hip to me". So umm yeah, that post was informative and well thought out. My favorite part was "they're from Portland"

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 08:09 PM
^hipster

johnwolennon
"You can like a band and not incorporate it into your music."
They didn't just say they liked the band, they said they were influenced by them.

"Like I said with the band Sweet, I haven't incorporated anything from their music into mine. My music isn't glam at all."
I said If you're inspired by them.

"I don't know much of the 50s which is why I am not talking about the 50s. What would be the point."
The point would be to acknowledge that Rock existed in the 50s, no matter what your knowledge or lack of knowledge of it is.

lookpizza

Also, yes. Please tell us what a hipster is then...enlighten us. I'm dying here. Literally everything stated in this thread and on your profile gives me reason to believe that you're a very stereotypical hipster.

Maybe he's denying being a hipster for the irony of it? If so, bravo
Denying being a hipster is mandatory for all hipsters. Hell I actually like most of the bands he posted. Call me a hipster if you want, DGAF.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
So lookpizza pretty much did nothing at all but say "sounds/looks pretty hip to me". So umm yeah, that post was informative and well though out. My favorite part was "they're from Portland"

I gave a list of things that make them hip. There is no specific sound of "hipster" bands. It's not a genre of music.

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm definitely a hipster, and he has good music taste, I just find his absolute denial and extreme conformity to hipster standards mindblowing and hilarious.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm definitely a hipster, and he has good music taste, I just find his absolute denial and extreme conformity to hipster standards mindblowing and hilarious.
I doubt he has good taste in music. Liking a few good bands =/= having good taste. Especially considering we know he only likes those bands cause they're so hip.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:13 PM
I gave a list of things that make them hip. There is no specific sound of "hipster" bands. It's not a genre of music.

You posted songs and sound sounds pretty hip for the most part. Or that they were wearing scarves

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:14 PM
and he doesn't have a sense of humor! Definitely a hipster.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:14 PM
I doubt he has good taste in music. Liking a few good bands =/= having good taste. Especially considering we know he only likes those bands cause they're so hip.

Check out my profile for more bands that I like (although its kind of outdated) and then call me a bigger hipster :D

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
http://embracethegoose.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/bad-fashion-hipster-glasses.jpg

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
and he doesn't have a sense of humor! Definitely a hipster.

I understood that them wearing scarves was a joke. Maybe I should of used a smilie for you next time?

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
So lookpizza pretty much did nothing at all but say "sounds/looks pretty hip to me". So umm yeah, that post was informative and well thought out. My favorite part was "they're from Portland"

At least he typed out "pretty" instead of putting "p". It's not that hard to type out a whole word.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Check out my profile for more bands that I like (although its kind of outdated) and then call me a bigger hipster :D

Modest Mouse, Sleigh Bells, Fang Island, Wavves, Crystal Castles, Helium, Beat Happening, The Halo Benders, The Mercury Program, Gang Of Four, Mimicking Birds, The Liars, Metric, Iron Maiden, 764-HERO, The Swaybacks, Pinback, Silversun Pickups, Unwound, Nirvana,The Sweet, Tycho, Big Black, Shellac, Prefuse 73, Marnie Stern, Pretty Girls Make Graves, The Who, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ugly Casanova, Evile, The Clash, Slint, The Raincoats, Eric's Trip, Sublime, Slant 6, Autoclave, Silver Jews, Boards Of Canada, Rage Against The Machine, Built To Spill, Boston, Warpaint, Darker My Love, Cat Power, Megadeath, Best Coast, Funkadelic, Titus Andronicus, The Beastie Boys, Les Savy Fav, Surfer Blood, Black Flag, Emptyset, Ponytail, The Birthday Party, Crystal Antlers, Subhumans, Lync, The Murder City Devils, Low, Test Icicles, Cap 'n Jazz, American Football, Johnny Foreigner, Drive Like Jehu, Beck, The American Analog Set, Joan Of Arc, The Black Heart Procession, and Queens Of The Stone Age.

Bolded are the bands that aren't hip to like.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:17 PM
At least he typed out "pretty" instead of putting "p". It's not that hard to type out a whole word.

Oh lord, I really hope this post was a joke otherwise we have serious problems here. This is the internet. Want me to post laugh out loud instead of lol now?

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Bolded are the bands that aren't hip to like.

Its funny because I haven't listened to those bands in a while except Funkadelic. Funkadelic is pretty great.

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 08:19 PM
This pretty much describes the thread (http://stuffwhitepeopledo.blogspot.com/2008/12/never-admit-to-being-hipster_05.html)

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh lord, I really hope this post was a joke otherwise we have serious problems here. This is the internet. Want me to post laugh out loud instead of lol now?

At least lol is generally considered an appropriate acronym. I don't think I've ever seen someone use the letter p to stand for pretty other than you.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:21 PM
At least lol is generally considered an appropriate acronym. I don't think I've ever seen someone use the letter p to stand for pretty other than you.

First time on the internet I assume then?

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
No he's right. Anyways, acronyms and abbreviations are like soo post-modern.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
No, just the first time around people that try to turn a single word into a single-lettered acronym.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:24 PM
No he's right. Anyways, acronyms and abbreviations are like soo post-modern.

Well, I see p used often.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Also I drink PBR, ride fixies, roll my own cigarettes, listen to bands no ones ever heard of and my girlfriend goes to art school in Portland. I know a hipster when I see one.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Also I drink PBR, ride fixies, roll my own cigarettes, listen to bands no ones ever heard of and my girlfriend goes to art school in Portland. I know a hipster when I see one.

Listening to bands people haven't heard of doesn't make you a hipster :rolleyes:
I don't know why we're even still on this topic. Clearly we are not going to agree on this.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Listening to bands people haven't heard of doesn't make you a hipster :rolleyes:
I don't know why we're even still on this topic. Clearly we are not going to agree on this.
Well obviously not that by itself, but it helps.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:30 PM
They gotta be from Portland, amirit? :p

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 08:30 PM
lolhipster

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:36 PM
They gotta be from Portland, amirit? :p

or Seattle, the Midwest, Philly, Baltimore, parts of California, DC, or any country that's not the US.

Once again, these things aren't mandatory.. they just add to the points.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:39 PM
or Seattle, the Midwest, Philly, Baltimore, parts of California, DC, or any country that's not the US.

Once again, these things aren't mandatory.. they just add to the points.

Damn, guess thats gonna make my band a hipster band :rolleyes:

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 08:43 PM
No, you'll probably be the one to make your band a hipster band.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:44 PM
To be honest, I got a good laugh out of that.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 08:45 PM
To be honest, I got a good laugh out of that.

What a funny world it must be to you with your high level of ignorance and stupidity. You're probably very content conforming with your non-conformist friends.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:48 PM
What a funny world it must be to you with your high level of ignorance and stupidity. You're probably very content conforming with your non-conformist friends.

Still going on with this? Did I offend you personally or something? Seems like you have a grudge against me now? Can't laugh at a funny joke now? You're like the only person in this thread now that seemingly has a problem with me.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Still going on with this? Did I offend you personally or something? Seems like you have a grudge against me now? Can't laugh at a funny joke now?

Going on with what?

I'm telling you that you're ignorant, and pretty much everyone else here is trying to help point out your ignorance to you hoping that you'll realise it and try to get beyond it.

No grudge, just a discussion/argument.

I can laugh at a funny joke, I just need to see one first.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Also, I made a joke in the comment, but apparently it went over your head.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Going on with what?

I'm telling you that you're ignorant, and pretty much everyone else here is trying to help point out your ignorance to you hoping that you'll realise it and try to get beyond it.

No grudge, just a discussion/argument.

I can laugh at a funny joke, I just need to see one first.

Well out of nowhere you try to insult me when I was just saying that I laughed at (what I assume was) lookpizza's joke. We weren't even talking about what you mentioned. Don't get so mad, its the internet.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Also, I made a joke in the comment, but apparently it went over your head.

I'm sure it was very funny.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Well out of nowhere you try to insult me when I was just saying that I laughed at (what I assume was) lookpizza's joke. We weren't even talking about what you mentioned. Don't get so mad, its the internet.

I thought you laughed at what he said because you thought it was stupid, not because you thought it was a joke.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Everything I've said in this thread has been kinda a joke. Except in the first few pages where I said this thread was stupid. That was serious. This thread is ****ing stupid.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:01 PM
I thought you laughed at what he said because you thought it was stupid, not because you thought it was a joke.

No, I assume he was joking. Thats why I posted "Can't laugh at funny jokes now?" after your attempt to insult me. I meant to put an I before "Can't" which might of caused some confusion. My bad I suppose? Glad we got that misunderstanding out of the way.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Everything I've said in this thread has been kinda a joke. Except in the first few pages where I said this thread was stupid. That was serious. This thread is ****ing stupid.

This thread may be stupid, but I find it really funny. I assume for the most part that everyone was joking? I may not of been joking for the whole part but the last couple of posts yeah. The only person I think thats been serious is John, but even then I can't tell to be honest.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 09:05 PM
No, I assume he was joking. Thats why I posted "Can't laugh at funny jokes now?" after your attempt to insult me. I meant to put an I before "Can't" which might of caused some confusion. My bad I suppose? Glad we got that misunderstanding out of the way.

The missing I definately caused a bit of confusion. That makes a bit more sense.

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I find this thread hilarious. In a good way.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I stole your avatar idea (kinda) Jed.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 09:13 PM
This thread may be stupid, but I find it really funny. I assume for the most part that everyone was joking? I may not of been joking for the whole part but the last couple of posts yeah. The only person I think thats been serious is John, but even then I can't tell to be honest.

I can't pick up too well on some of the subtler things, like saying things as a joke or sarcastically but wording them as if they're serious. I've been serious, and had a couple of jokes, but I've taken what you've said as you actually believing in what you're saying. On another note, if you don't listen to (or barely) 60s or 70s rock, you really should start listening to some. You're missing out on a lot of good music.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 09:15 PM
I find this thread hilarious. In a good way.

Yeah. It's strange how I started the thread as an attempt to try a philosophical discussion about music, and it ended up going way out there.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:15 PM
I can't pick up too well on some of the subtler things, like saying things as a joke or sarcastically but wording them as if they're serious. I've been serious, and had a couple of jokes, but I've taken what you've said as you actually believing in what you're saying. On another note, if you don't listen to (or barely) 60s or 70s rock, you really should start listening to some. You're missing out on a lot of good music.

Being sarcastic on the internet is like the best thing ever.
I don't really like what I've heard from the 60s-70s, I've said that before. The only ones that I do like are Sweet and The Raincoats and even then, eh. They just don't interest me too much. I love music from the 90s-to now (inb4hipster).

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Yeah. It's strange how I started the thread as an attempt to try a philosophical discussion about music, and it ended up going way out there.

I think it turned into a better thread. I hope many people read this and get a good laugh.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't really like what I've heard from the 60s-70s, I've said that before. The only ones that I do like are Sweet and The Raincoats and even then, eh. They just don't interest me too much. I love music from the 90s-to now (inb4hipster).

Ah, your last "word" gave you away. So you're a troll. It makes a lot more sense. And I love music from the 90s to now as well, I just also love music from before then.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Ah, your last "word" gave you away. So you're a troll. It makes a lot more sense. And I love music from the 90s to now as well, I just also love music from before then.

inb4hipster? I was making a joke. I assume people were going to post 'lolhipster' as a joke. But trolling can be fun at times, nothing wrong with that.

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I stole your avatar idea (kinda) Jed.
Isn't that the picture I posted too? Shes a cutie, even if she could beat me up.

Also, you are definitely still a hipster, don't pretend you were trolling with your whole music list.

EDIT: Damn I'm confused

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Isn't that the picture I posted too? Shes a cutie, even if she could beat me up.

Thats a girl in pizza's avatar? From that small size I could not tell, no joke.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 09:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn2t2vHkl8k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yGarEaWt5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC2gZMNkyJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKt-DhII_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J4O2-nsFBA

There's plenty of hip music from the 60's and 70's though!

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
inb4hipster? I was making a joke. I assume people were going to post 'lolhipster' as a joke. But trolling can be fun at times, nothing wrong with that.

I could tell that. I don't doubt that you find trolling fun. I'm personally not for it, but to each his own.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Thats a girl in pizza's avatar? From that small size I could not tell, no joke.
Yea it's the chick from this band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqkhvTCD06Q&feature=related

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Yea it's the chick from this band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqkhvTCD06Q&feature=related

She needs to grow her hair out, its shorter than mine :p: No offense but I do not really like that kind of vocals. Trash Talk's singer is about as much as I can stand screaming/yelling wise.

lookpizza
05-12-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't think she's overly concerned with whether or not you like her hair. Chicks intense though, I love her vocals.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't think she's overly concerned with whether or not you like her hair. Chicks intense though, I love her vocals.

lol I'm sure shes not. I'm just saying thats why I couldn't tell that she was a girl from your avatar.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
lol I'm sure shes not. I'm just saying thats why I couldn't tell that she was a girl from your avatar.

To be honest, I thought it was a guy too.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn2t2vHkl8k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yGarEaWt5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC2gZMNkyJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKt-DhII_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J4O2-nsFBA

There's plenty of hip music from the 60's and 70's though!

Did not like The Move's singer for the most part. The problem like I said earlier is that its just boring to me, the music. They do remind me of Sweet a lot though.
The Animals weren't bad but again it just bores me.
Everyones heard of The Beach Boys. I mean they're okay (I guess), but I like Wavves and Best Coast better.
I wish there was a facepalm smilie if you think that I haven't heard of the last two

guitar_rules311
05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
I knew it was the girl from Punch the second I saw it because I'm cool like that :cool:
Punch is awesome

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
She needs to grow her hair out, its shorter than mine :p: No offense but I do not really like that kind of vocals. Trash Talk's singer is about as much as I can stand screaming/yelling wise. Then you wouldn't like the singer in my avatar...eva spence, of rolo tomassi. Shes gorgeous

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Then you wouldn't like the singer in my avatar...eva spence, of rolo tomassi. Shes gorgeous

I could tell that she was a girl though because of the tits.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Did not like The Move's singer for the most part. The problem like I said earlier is that its just boring to me, the music. They do remind me of Sweet a lot though.
The Animals weren't bad but again it just bores me.
Everyones heard of The Beach Boys. I mean they're okay (I guess), but I like Wavves and Best Coast better.
I wish there was a facepalm smilie if you think that I haven't heard of the last two

actually there is one. :facepalm: see? you just have to click the more button when it shows you the smilies.

801Current
It depends how you percieve people, most of the time when people say this is the best band ever they really don't mean it. Like when you told your parents you hated them when you were little, at the moment you hate them, but one hour later your stance could totally change.

Like girls who say justin beiber is the best, last year were all over the jonas brothers. which are overated in terms of the girls who adore/d them I guess. but I think any good musician sees through it.

Being overated doesn't really mean anything, because it's just an opinion of someone or some people, and everyone has a different one.

punkforlife93
I could tell that she was a girl though because of the tits.
Yeah, megan (from punch) would totally beat you up if she met you. :haha

Joshua1207
actually there is one. :facepalm: see? you just have to click the more button when it shows you the smilies.

Right after I posted that I realized that I should of clicked the 'more' section but decided not to. Well, the more you know.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah, megan (from punch) would totally beat you up if she met you. :haha

I wouldn't doubt it. Good thing I never have to meet her, huh?
But if I did meet her, hopefully she'd take my advice to GET LONGER HAIR :D

nashawa
05-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Proof that most "trolls" were not in fact trolling since the beginning and are usually just morons backed into a corner with no other refuge.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Also, you are definitely still a hipster, don't pretend you were trolling with your whole music list.

EDIT: Damn I'm confused

Just saw this post, what do you mean my whole music list? I like those bands that I listed.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 09:46 PM
It depends how you percieve people, most of the time when people say this is the best band ever they really don't mean it. Like when you told your parents you hated them when you were little, at the moment you hate them, but one hour later your stance could totally change.

Like girls who say justin beiber is the best, last year were all over the jonas brothers. which are overated in terms of the girls who adore/d them I guess. but I think any good musician sees through it.

Being overated doesn't really mean anything, because it's just an opinion of someone or some people, and everyone has a different one.

Makes sense.
The whole justin beiber and jonas brothers thing goes into the topic of fads, and also brings up the tricky area of when something stops becoming a fad and starts becoming actually good.
I started this thing pretty much thinking that it was for the most part opinion, and was wondering if there was anyone out there that could show proof that there's something more to it than opinion.

punkforlife93
05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Just saw this post, what do you mean my whole music list? I like those bands that I listed.
Then you're a hipster even if you were 'trolling'

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Then you're a hipster even if you were 'trolling'

I wasn't really trolling for the most part. I was just saying that trolling can be fun earlier since John thought of me as a troll since I said 'being sarcastic on the internet is fun' or whatever. Think of me as a hipster if you want, thats okay. I mean this whole argument is kind of dumb.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 10:02 PM
I wasn't really trolling for the most part. I was just saying that trolling can be fun earlier since John thought of me as a troll since I said 'being sarcastic on the internet is fun' or whatever. Think of me as a hipster if you want, thats okay. I mean this whole argument is kind of dumb.

it was when you used the whole "inb4____" thing which seems to be a troll/4chan staple

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 10:05 PM
it was when you used the whole "inb4____" thing which seems to be a troll/4chan staple

People say inb4 all the time on the internet. I use it jokingly. I don't even go on 4chan, been there once and was like 'not happening'. Some weird stuff goes on there. I'm starting to think that this is the only internet forum you go on (which isn't a bad thing but it explains a lot)

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 10:07 PM
People say inb4 all the time on the internet. I use it jokingly. I don't even go on 4chan, been there once and was like 'not happening'. Some weird stuff goes on there.

Ah. It just seems to have originated with the trolls that raid different sites, because they say it a lot. There's a lot of crazy stuff.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 10:10 PM
If only there was this much attention for another thread I made asking people to help me find out some information on a mystery cassette.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
If only there was this much attention for another thread I made asking people to help me find out some information on a mystery cassette.

Want me to go into it and say classic rock is overrated so that it can get big like this? :p:

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Want me to go into it and say classic rock is overrated so that it can get big like this? :p:

No, not that way. I meant that I wanted it to be given attention, so there'd be a lot of people actually trying to find it out.

Joshua1207
05-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I was joking. Anyways I listened to one of the songs from that thread you were talking about. Doesn't really sound like anything special to me, eh. Good luck finding out who made it.

johnwolennon
05-12-2011, 10:19 PM
I was joking. Anyways I listened to one of the songs from that thread you were talking about. Doesn't really sound like anything special to me, eh. Good luck finding out who made it.

I know you were joking. Thanks.

due 07
05-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I just went to a birthday dinner for my little sister. It was hell. That being said, I open this thread and I'm like "brb dyin of laughter"

Y u all change avatars!?!?!?!?!?

Anyways, as Pizza exhibited, real hipsters deny being hipsters, quite fervently. However, most rational people can poke fun at their hipster qualities. It's kind of like people who like if you ask them if they're gay, they get all up in arms about it because of some weird insecurity.

I quite enjoyed the thread though. Not in a condescending "hurr u guys r dum" way, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Got some laughs, learned some things, the works.