Supporting a much bigger act...

PDA

View Full Version : Supporting a much bigger act...

guy_tebache
05-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Hey guys

I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands.
I'm the vocalist, sometimes lead/oft times rhythm guitarist, and principal songwriter in a new band in Northern NSW Australia. We've been playing together for about 3 months working only on original material, and we're doing some pretty cool stuff. We have about 5 or 6 songs absolutely down, and we're working on more that have been written, and we're still writing and are about to record a demo. We havent played any gigs yet, but in a town with a pretty popular music degree, we've managed to blow some people away.

The dilemma began with our drummer calling me today telling me that she's been offered a gig supporting Jebediah (if you dont know them look here: http://www.jebediah.net/ they were pretty big 10 years ago in Australia) at their gig in Lismore NSW in 3 or 4 weeks.
Being a small town band, just starting out, its a pretty big opportunity if we played a good gig, especially as our first gig. My problem is that I'm worried we arent quite ready to play any gigs, let alone a support gig for a semi-famous band. We dont have material to do more than half an hour tops, and we're not a tight as we could be. On top of that we dont have a name yet and we'd have to put together a press kit to get the gig.

So my question is, do you think we should take the gig and risk an abysmal failure, or should we turn it down and keep building up our set before we take the band public?

TL;DR: I'm in a new (good) band and we've got the chance for a gig supporting a big band, but I'm not sure we're ready. Take the gig and risk humiliation, or turn it down and miss the opportunity?

Knucklehead Dyl
05-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Well, say yes, then practice like maniacs until then. How many times will you be offered this chance?

besides, nobody pays thaaaat much attention to the openers

Barendino
05-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Well there are 2 sides on this one!

1st side: A gig is a gig so just play!

2nd side: First time gigs are almost always not what you want it to be because of nerfs/stage experience/being together and play for people!

So if you accept the gig.. play the songs over and over again and rehearse as much as possible with your band and play alot for people (during rehearsels) and practice stage appearances!

Ask the people what they think of the band and just do it!

Good Luck! :D

Knucklehead Dyl
05-25-2011, 08:37 AM
First time gigs are almost always not what you want it to be because of nerfs

Ah yes. Nerfs. Many a band have fallen victim to them. Can be prevented by reading poetry aloud on the streets every day for a week or so beforehand.

smb
I have a friend who put together a band pretty quickly and their first gig was supporting Paul Gilbert. It seemed to work well for them. Maybe if you do get the gig it'll be the impetus you need to practice like hell!

timlikeHim
I say...go for it!

Sometimes you have to take risks and put yourself out there. This kind of opportunity might not come around again. Besides, you really have nothing to lose, right? . If you're blowing people away...you're ready.

If not now, when? Better to try and fail then not try at all.

just my 2 cents

Sulfur183
05-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Do It!!!

guy_tebache
05-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Huh. Thats a much more positive response than I expected.

Cheers guys :D

Keep the opinions coming.

IBuriedPaul
05-25-2011, 08:45 AM
You Can Do It!

Myshadow46_2
05-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey guys

I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands.
I'm the vocalist, sometimes lead/oft times rhythm guitarist, and principal songwriter in a new band in Northern NSW Australia. We've been playing together for about 3 months working only on original material, and we're doing some pretty cool stuff. We have about 5 or 6 songs absolutely down, and we're working on more that have been written, and we're still writing and are about to record a demo. We havent played any gigs yet, but in a town with a pretty popular music degree, we've managed to blow some people away.

The dilemma began with our drummer calling me today telling me that she's been offered a gig supporting Jebediah (if you dont know them look here: http://www.jebediah.net/ they were pretty big 10 years ago in Australia) at their gig in Lismore NSW in 3 or 4 weeks.
Being a small town band, just starting out, its a pretty big opportunity if we played a good gig, especially as our first gig. My problem is that I'm worried we arent quite ready to play any gigs, let alone a support gig for a semi-famous band. We dont have material to do more than half an hour tops, and we're not a tight as we could be. On top of that we dont have a name yet and we'd have to put together a press kit to get the gig.

So my question is, do you think we should take the gig and risk an abysmal failure, or should we turn it down and keep building up our set before we take the band public?

TL;DR: I'm in a new (good) band and we've got the chance for a gig supporting a big band, but I'm not sure we're ready. Take the gig and risk humiliation, or turn it down and miss the opportunity?

See bolded text:

So you haven't actually been offered the gig. You wouldn't need a press kit if you'd already been offered it.

guy_tebache
05-25-2011, 08:59 AM
See bolded text:

So you haven't actually been offered the gig. You wouldn't need a press kit if you'd already been offered it.
I admit, I over-simplified. We'd need to submit a press kit before consideration, but we know people who know people and long story short its essentially ours if we want it. :shrug:

Would you like to offer an opinion, or keep poking holes in my story? :)

BK202
05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Well I'm going to agree with the guy who says you don't have the gig. You should never just assume you have the gig. Just because you know people doesn't mean that you're guranteed in. A gig is a gig, submit the press kit and hope you get it.

Myshadow46_2
05-26-2011, 05:37 PM
I admit, I over-simplified. We'd need to submit a press kit before consideration, but we know people who know people and long story short its essentially ours if we want it. :shrug:

Would you like to offer an opinion, or keep poking holes in my story? :)

It was a big hole without the explanation :peace:

If you don't feel you'd be ready I don't see why you'd play it. I wouldn't. If you put the press kit together and do get the gig then do you think you could pull it all together? Sometimes pressure can bring great things. It depends how you deal with it.

Ian hawkins
05-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Hey,we tried to get on the Jebediah bill down here in Geelong!
Turns out we were too late.
If you can practice your guts out,do it.But that given,it's not like a decent name will never come round again