New UG Tab Pro

PDA

View Full Version : New UG Tab Pro

RupertG
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
What's up with this new Tab Pro thing? Will they be making money off all the tabs people have made and submitted themselves for free? It seems kind of sketchy, the details aren't clear to me. Would someone mind filling us all in?

Rangor6363
06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
the UG Tab Pro is basically the same thing as the Guitar Pro but the online version..

Seth Shadows
06-02-2011, 12:55 AM
You have to get paid for good coding. It's a couple dollars a month. Settle down.

I bought it, its not the best but its not the worst.

ruker
06-02-2011, 02:17 AM
So all of us GP/PT tabbers should give a big "you're welcome" to UG? :p:

MH400
06-02-2011, 04:30 AM
What's up with this new Tab Pro thing? Will they be making money off all the tabs people have made and submitted themselves for free? It seems kind of sketchy, the details aren't clear to me. Would someone mind filling us all in?

UG is a business. It is based / hosted in Russia by a guy called Eugeney (zappp)

It has an Office, where people such as coders, editors and content uploaders work full time maintaining the site. Obviously, they won't work for free. You can imagine that as a business, it needs to make money somehow.

This is where UG+ comes in. More than likely designed to cover server / bandwidth costs, tab licence fees + royalties, wages, electricity for the office etc.

They're not cashing in on your work - merely trying to keep the business surviving.

duncang
06-02-2011, 05:32 AM
UG is a business. It is based / hosted in Russia by a guy called Eugeney (zappp)

It has an Office, where people such as coders, editors and content uploaders work full time maintaining the site. Obviously, they won't work for free. You can imagine that as a business, it needs to make money somehow.

This is where UG+ comes in. More than likely designed to cover server / bandwidth costs, tab licence fees + royalties, wages, electricity for the office etc.

They're not cashing in on your work - merely trying to keep the business surviving.

Will they be making money?

Yes

MH400
06-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Well, of course they will be. Isn't that the primary aim for any business?

You've gotta remember that before any business can make a profit (regardless of whether its public or private), it has to pay its fixed and variable costs. Hence where electricity, wages, licences etc come in.

I wasn't gonna point out the obvious, but oh well.

Btw, read what my post says. 'You can imagine that as a business, it needs to make money somehow."

;)

Ultraussie
06-02-2011, 07:09 AM
NOW HANGON......
Just a minute here.
We have submitted our own tabs to the Ultimate Guitar website since forever, and been downloading them since forever.
Does this mean they are going to charge me to download those FREE tabs?
Like guitar pro files?
What! I.. *stutters* ****ing... *Hicups* Don't.. *Vomits*.. Get.. *expels contents of digestive track suddenly* it....

Seriously what does this mean>

JackalUK
06-02-2011, 07:45 AM
No, you are being charged for the use of the online midi tab reader. NOT THE TABS.

jof1029
06-02-2011, 07:42 PM
the tabs are still available as they were, this is just a new service. it supplements the existing database, it doesnt replace it. from one of the guys in the UG office:

You will never have to pay for text tabs. UG+ offers *additional* services, nothing you used to get for free will ever become monetized.

RupertG
06-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for clearing stuff up! And yes, I did realize it costs money to keep something like this up and running, just wasn't sure what all the new options were really.

gothpaul
06-04-2011, 03:04 PM
why the hell am I not allowed to buy this service in Canada?

Till From Kenig
06-04-2011, 05:51 PM
License restrictions. We are working on obtaining required contracts, but it takes lot's of time usually, so we've decided to launch earlier, but US only.

IYanoplathizoI
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Another point: IS there anyway to disable it from popping up every time you go to a tab?

Because it extends my page loading times massively! I know its effectively advertising your product and that this is what a business needs to do, but some people aint gonna buy.

You probably wont and what the hell. Props for you - even not making a loss nowadays is tough.

Thanks for the site :cheers:

Exhumed91
06-14-2011, 01:09 AM
There should definitely be some sort of discount for buying two or three of them.. Just my perspective. It all looks pretty cool, but way too expensive for me. I'd pay $20 a year for everything, magazine subscription price (although magazines now are often cheaper) because it's just a couple of web applications. The fancy scrolling tablature just isn't necessary for a decent guitarist. I can hear a song, look at a tab, and play it. I already don't see ads on your site; everybody has a popup blocker nowadays. The backing tracks thing is cool I suppose.

Till From Kenig
06-16-2011, 04:58 AM
2 IYanoplathizoI: That's good idea. I think we can give you an option "don't show this again", which will prevent UG Plus ad from loading.

2 Exhumed91: We have this in our plans, I'm not sure about exact price thought, buy I guess there will be some kind of discount.

Tone Jones
06-27-2011, 07:18 PM
I have never tried the UG Tab Pro I think theres a free trial.I did try the Guitar Pro free trial,I still like the powertab program it's still looks more professional for guitarist

Sam Rulez D00d
07-01-2011, 09:05 PM
The tab pro tabs are just copies of the tabs that are highly rated

TMA-2
07-04-2011, 05:05 AM
to me, and to perhaps a number of other UG users, the real benefit to paying for tabs would be if they had a high standard of quality, and/or came from a music publishing company. the in-browser application (developed with adobe air, i think?) is nice, but not exactly worth $2.99/month. apparently the license for the GoPlayAlong tablature viewer is $19, assuming there aren't additional fees considering the massive traffic your site gets.

i understand that you're not making the tabs unavailable otherwise, but tablature software is useless without the content. there is an enormous amount of work that goes into transcribing songs, especially rock and metal considering the complexity of certain riffs, chords, rhythms, etc.

have you considered a model of paying individuals (barring various artist/label copyright restrictions) or music publishers for high-quality tabs, exclusively available via the "Tab Pro" service? personally, $50 for a Guitar Pro 6 license is a better deal than paying monthly for Tab Pro, considering the depth of the program, the ability to write tabs, and of course the fact that only a select portion of tabs have been "ported" to Tab Pro.

forgive me if i'm missing some large component, and i realize this may in no way reflect the average UG user's thoughts.

paddyirishman
10-11-2011, 07:06 PM
I haven't subscribed to Tab Pro, but I was using the sample tabs just now and realised that many of my tabs are in the catalogue. I didn't see my name anywhere on the tab or the webpage in which it was displayed. Is credit given to the original tabbers in the paid version of Tab Pro? If not, why not? :)

Cheers!

paddyirishman
10-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Another question: if I update my Guitar Pro tabs will the update transfer across to the Tab Pro version?

stratdigi
11-18-2011, 07:19 AM
the update will be transfered just after Tab Pro regeneration

lVlaniac
11-18-2011, 09:00 PM
I haven't subscribed to Tab Pro, but I was using the sample tabs just now and realised that many of my tabs are in the catalogue. I didn't see my name anywhere on the tab or the webpage in which it was displayed. Is credit given to the original tabbers in the paid version of Tab Pro? If not, why not? :)

Cheers!

I would also love to know why credit is not given. :)

Ive worked a lot of hours to make the best tabs i can make so that everyone can enjoy them for free and i know that they are also running a company there and they need to cover costs of servers, etc.. Thats why i understand the need for the ads and i tolarate them, which requires extra effort when those ads with sound and the pop up ones appear.

But i think its a whole other subject to charge for the tabs because now they are directly using our tabs to get money instead of just having the advertisement on the side. Now, i dont mind them using my tabs on their service as long as credit is due and/or some monetary retribution is in order for them to use our hard work in such a direct way.

Dynamight
11-18-2011, 09:14 PM
You have to get paid for good coding. It's a couple dollars a month. Settle down.
If you think they're only getting paid for "good coding," ask yourself how much they'd get paid if all user-generated content were to be removed from the website. They are making a profit off other people's work, without permission and without giving credit, period. Not only is it ethically unacceptable, it also goes against their own terms of use.

JimDawson
11-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Come to think of it, you would solve the whole problem of using people's tabs to get money by getting rid of the Tab Pro library entirely. Make it so that you needed to go through a menu to open a ptb or gpx file or something. Hell, even an interface that just listed what was on UG would be enough here.

Or you could simply have the whole library, but post the username of who made the tab beside it. You could also possibly place a link to the address of the tab on UG right there too.

*EDIT* I said part of that wrong, but you could just add the username of the tab authors to the library. If anyone has a problem with this solution, then why did they upload their tab to UG? After all, the huge user made tab library is what makes UG so big anyway isn't it?

paddyirishman
11-19-2011, 05:16 PM
I was trying to keep my attitude "reserved" for fear of massive flaming when I posted the above messages, but I can honestly say that the vast majority of the users on UG who've commented on Tab Pro and its activities haven't exactly been fans of the idea. Me neither.

If the tabs in the library were original, professional tabs I wouldn't give too much of a toss about any of this, but profiting from our tabs without our consent (and without even giving us credit!) is pretty much indefensible. On top of that the Tab Pro service is advertised as offering access to professionally-made tabs or tabs of high enough quality to warrant inclusion. Quite a lot of the tabs in the Tab Pro library which have been lifted from the free part of the site are of extremely poor quality, but because they're the only tab available for that particular song or because the tab in question has 3 stars whereas other tabs for the same song only have 2 stars, it gets included automatically. That is, the library - which costs money to access - is full of half-assed, mediocre tabs. False advertising is an understatement - it's pretty much a straight-up lie to say that we're paying for quality when the site is simply "crawled" by a script that find tabs which are rated slightly better than others but still suck.

I understand that the Tab Pro service is still young and the software is still being improved, but that's why we have beta testing before we start charging people to use our software. The Tab Pro playback is pretty horrendous and bears no resemblance to Guitar Pro in any respect. You could have offered it for free during beta testing and only included tabs for unsigned bands in its library to avoid having to pay licensing fees at that early stage. Then when the software is of sufficient quality to warrant subscription fees to be accessed you could deploy the licensed tabs. That said, I'm not sure why anyone would pay for this service long-term instead of buying Guitar Pro for a one-time fee. It's a case of either buying Guitar Pro or "renting" a really bad and much more expensive version of Guitar Pro for a limited time and without any of the same functionality.

How about a free subscription to Tab Pro for users who've had their tabs hijacked? Or a free copy of Guitar Pro 6? Or maybe just ask us for permission and give the original tabbers credit instead? :rolleyes: I mean, it only seems fair seeing as how we're unwillingly involved in earning money for other people.

Very underhanded behaviour, lads.

Dynamight
11-19-2011, 07:18 PM
I was trying to keep my attitude "reserved" for fear of massive flaming when I posted the above messages, but I can honestly say that the vast majority of the users on UG who've commented on Tab Pro and its activities haven't exactly been fans of the idea. Me neither.

If the tabs in the library were original, professional tabs I wouldn't give too much of a toss about any of this, but profiting from our tabs without our consent (and without even giving us credit!) is pretty much indefensible. On top of that the Tab Pro service is advertised as offering access to professionally-made tabs or tabs of high enough quality to warrant inclusion. Quite a lot of the tabs in the Tab Pro library which have been lifted from the free part of the site are of extremely poor quality, but because they're the only tab available for that particular song or because the tab in question has 3 stars whereas other tabs for the same song only have 2 stars, it gets included automatically. That is, the library - which costs money to access - is full of half-assed, mediocre tabs. False advertising is an understatement - it's pretty much a straight-up lie to say that we're paying for quality when the site is simply "crawled" by a script that find tabs which are rated slightly better than others but still suck.

I understand that the Tab Pro service is still young and the software is still being improved, but that's why we have beta testing before we start charging people to use our software. The Tab Pro playback is pretty horrendous and bears no resemblance to Guitar Pro in any respect. You could have offered it for free during beta testing and only included tabs for unsigned bands in its library to avoid having to pay licensing fees at that early stage. Then when the software is of sufficient quality to warrant subscription fees to be accessed you could deploy the licensed tabs. That said, I'm not sure why anyone would pay for this service long-term instead of buying Guitar Pro for a one-time fee. It's a case of either buying Guitar Pro or "renting" a really bad and much more expensive version of Guitar Pro for a limited time and without any of the same functionality.

How about a free subscription to Tab Pro for users who've had their tabs hijacked? Or a free copy of Guitar Pro 6? Or maybe just ask us for permission and give the original tabbers credit instead? :rolleyes: I mean, it only seems fair seeing as how we're unwillingly involved in earning money for other people.

Pretty much everything that has to be said, and well put. Bump so people know what's going on.

lVlaniac
11-20-2011, 03:56 AM

Very much spot on. As found out of this problem i was in the middle of tabbing a whole album on gp form and i was uploading as i went finishing the songs. Now im not sure if i should upload the songs at all thinking that they would be proffiting from it without consent or credit. Im thinking that maybe i should only upload text form so that UG wont copy/paste my tab for their own personal gain.

In any case i have no problem with the tab pro system they have. They are trying to release a product and gain some money out of it, thats ok, they are a buisness after all and in some parallel universe some people will find it useful to waste money on that service than to actually use those services not mentioned (or barely mentioned) on their selfpromotion news on the front page. Everyone has their own view.

I think that this could be resolved simply by doing 2 things:
1- Ask authorization of the creator of the real content to put it in on their service. Sort of like when uploading a file it asks you whether you would aproove the distribution via tab pro or just upload as gp file without giving consent meaning that your tab should not appear on tab pro.
2- Give full credit to the creator of the tab.

Now, if they are feeling even more generous, they could give us some cash sort of like a youtube partnership. (hahahahaha)
Im just kiddn. It would be ages before they would even consider that :haha: :haha:

floydrunner
11-25-2011, 01:43 PM
lurker of 3 years here, just wanted to agree with the affected parties that this tab pro business is a very underhanded move.. i've been using songsterr (http://songsterr.com) for a while now. clunky but gets the job done. for the more privacy conscious, canary (http://canary.fm) is basically dropbox for guitar tabs.

UG should really just grow a pair and compensate users for their hard work.

lVlaniac
11-29-2011, 01:57 AM
I think that if neither of the choices discussed above can be fulfilled regardles of the insane reasons not to do it.

The next logical step would be to request the removal of such tabs from "tab pro" due to them beign an exact replicate of already published content in guitar pro format. Either that or removed because they were replicated without consent from the original uploader.

Now, to do that should we make a new thread or who can we contact to make this happen?

Thanks

lVlaniac
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I just saw more announcements for "tab pro" on the main page and ive seen that no one reply has been made regarding this issue so i tried the contact page and lets see if i can get some reply. This is what i sent:

Hi UG,

I'm lVlaniac on UG and i was wondering whats the deal with the tab pro system. Its not that ill buy it or anything but ive contributed frequently to the site (49 tabs and counting =P) but i see that my tabs were converted to your tab pro system and i havent heard anything from it yet.

My main concern is that ive worked hard making those tabs and i dont mind UG getting profit from the advertisement in the site, but stealing the tabs and proffiting from them in that way i find it insulting (maybe thats not the word but it gets to the point)

Now, ive tried talking on the forum about this but as of today no reply has been made in the thread and i just want to know if UG is going to do something about this like giving credit for the tabs or paying them for their work or is UG simply going to ignore the problem hoping it would go away.

I hope you can read this and reply me back with any comments regarding UG's stance towards this.

Thanks
-Felipe

Do you think that is adequate enough or maybe too harsh?

respecthoobie
12-14-2011, 06:42 PM
There is an annoying issue with Tab Pro.
I uploaded several Power Tab Files, with lots of work and initially very good ratings. Now the site automatically generates Tab Pro Files out of this to make money, and this transformation is obviously not working, the tabs are corrupt and wrong! These wrong tabs are shown in a nice layout, if you click on the search result for MY Power Tab.
Now I get bad ratings for the fault of Tab Pro! If this is not changed immediately, I will take back my tabs.
Anyone with similar experience?

lVlaniac
12-19-2011, 03:39 PM
There is an annoying issue with Tab Pro.
I uploaded several Power Tab Files, with lots of work and initially very good ratings. Now the site automatically generates Tab Pro Files out of this to make money, and this transformation is obviously not working, the tabs are corrupt and wrong! These wrong tabs are shown in a nice layout, if you click on the search result for MY Power Tab.
Now I get bad ratings for the fault of Tab Pro! If this is not changed immediately, I will take back my tabs.
Anyone with similar experience?

since i can only see the 30 second sample of my tabs on tab pro, ive yet to hear any problem in that area.