What Guitar players influence you? v1

PDA

View Full Version : What Guitar players influence you? v1

Guitarguyteddyb
06-05-2011, 08:59 AM
SO,
im back and i thought it be cool if everyone can lay some stuff down on who really influences them and how they play, i mean even sub conciously youll play the same licks when your jamming with people, on purpose or on accident.

Lets just try and not turn this into a fanboy ****circle about how van halen is the best because of tapping....

Lets really try and figure where are roots are and where we think our musical journey is going to go to because of who we idolize and who we aspire to be in the guitar world.
Or if you have even started to evolve your own style and you can explain what ingredients make you who you are with your music.

Me
Eric Johnson
Andy Mckee
Satch
SRV
John mayer
Yngwie Malmsteen
Petrucci

Ayses
06-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Adam Jones of Tool
Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains
Hendrix
SRV

My 4 biggest influences at the moment.

Guitarguyteddyb
06-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Adam Jones of Tool
Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains
Hendrix
SRV

My 4 biggest influences at the moment.

mine change as well i should have put that in the post haha hendrix was so huge for me when i first started

Ayses
06-05-2011, 09:12 AM
^ Yeah when I first started playing, I played mostly rhythm guitar and learning Hendrix-style playing was huge for me, especially learning to wrap my thumb around to fret the bass notes and learning how to play barre chords.

Guitarguyteddyb
06-05-2011, 09:17 AM
haha i miss those days where everything was new and exciting, now its all about applying opposed to learning. Candy rat is full of sick guys with techniques you seldomly see being played. But hendrixs lines ( the music not the yak) where always so tight and phrased brilliantly. I really wish i could have a dr in theory explain all the things he did

sacamano79
06-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Eddie Van Halen - greatest rhythm player of all time imo. I really can respect how he can blend rhythm with lead and get a groove like none other. I think his style is very difficult not because of the technical aspect, but because of the immense fretboard knowledge that is needed.

I try my hardest to play with this style, but it is seriously difficult to write :X

Guitarguyteddyb
06-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Eddie Van Halen - greatest rhythm player of all time imo. I really can respect how he can blend rhythm with lead and get a groove like none other. I think his style is very difficult not because of the technical aspect, but because of the immense fretboard knowledge that is needed.

I try my hardest to play with this style, but it is seriously difficult to write :X

im sure he has had some workshops on how he writes.
im pretty sure that he just randomly figures thigns out because at that time it was revolutionary what he was doing so being a forerunner in that concentration he is going to have to figure it all out on his own.

What i can reccomend is build triads using tapping.

1flat35
etc.

find your 1 (tonic) your 3rd degree and 5th degree and you can go from there or even find chord shapes and then find the appropirate scales that are used to build that chord and slides and pull off and percussive hits also work. i have some songs like that if you care to check em out

Eki_PH
06-05-2011, 11:19 AM
petrucci maybe
or slash or synister gates, just for those two i love their style, though their ability is not so awesome

daftmuseecboi
06-08-2011, 06:24 PM
My Top 5
Matthew Bellamy
Jimi Hendrix
Billy Corgan
John Petrucci
Knut Schreiner

IommiPage
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
J Mascis
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Greg Ginn
Bob Mould
Pete Townshend
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Tony Iommi

Jacobrivers8
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
even though i really dont play like any of my influences (especially in the case of flashy players like Eddie Van Halen, i don't improvise super flashy solos, i go for more emotion), i would say these players influenced me a good deal

Jimi Hendrix
jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Slash
SRV
Tom Scholz
Mark Tremonti
Bradley Nowell

boratian
06-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Oh god so many, its a mix of drummers and guitarists too.

In order of influence to me:
Omar Rodriguez Lopez
Mikael Akerfeldt - I don't listen to Opeth that much but his style and songwritting definitely have influenced me.
Paul Waggoner
Brent Hinds
Dustie Warring
Joe Satriani
god, everything and everyone I listen to influence me in some way

SumFX
06-09-2011, 12:29 PM
J Mascis
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Greg Ginn
Bob Mould
Pete Townshend
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Tony Iommi

Ginn & Iommi are a big influences for me.

Matt Bellamy
Adam Crisp
Dr. Know
East Bay Ray
Johnny Ramone
Frank Navetta
Ian Mackaye
Guy Picciotto
Varg Vikernes
Bob Marley
Aaron Barrett

Banjocal
06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Both harmonica players in the Ford Blues Band
Tim Ainslie
Matt Bellamy
Tim Collis from This Town Needs Guns
Chris Arp from Psyoups

raferalston
06-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Kirk Hammett & Jimmy Page
I am a rookie in guitar playing but i tried copying every solo of Jimmy Page :peace:

Gris-Gris-Man
06-10-2011, 09:49 PM
jimi hendrix
eric clapton
jeff beck
carlos santana
john mclaughlin
al di meola

peter058
06-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Jonh Mayer and Steve Vai

Zanon
06-11-2011, 08:32 AM
John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan

Snickers Bowman
06-12-2011, 01:55 PM
JB Brubacker of August Burns Red (Awesome breakdowns)
Lee Malia of Bring me the Horizon (Awesome breakdowns too)
James Hetfield of Metallica (Great rhythm guitarist and vocalist)
Dave Mustaine of Megadeth (Same as Hetfield)
Oli Herbert of All That Remains (Unbelieveable solos)

Yes, I do understand these are all metal guitarists.

Natrtatr
06-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Jimmy Page - He's Jimmy Page. He's a great songwriter, amazing guitarist. His solos are among the best solos ever. And bunch of them are based off the simplest scale in the book. Led Zeppelin is bunch of awesome players messin round with Pentatonic and Blues scale.
Eddie Van Halen - He has a great amount of technical skill and can make some pretty awesome solos, plus with the tapping. He's definitely a guitar virtuoso. He was originally my favorite guitarist when I picked it up.
Jimi Hendrix - He did things nobody did. He's Hendrix. In the 3 or 4 years (Dunno exactly) he became one of the most influential guitar players ever. And he died on my birthday.
Eric Clapton - Saw him in concert in Sacramento. First concert ever, totally blew my mind. The way he plays and gets such a beautiful sound out of his guitar. And he's been in tons of influential bands and wrote some great songs.
David Gilmour - His sound is like nobody else's. When you hear his guitar you know its Gilmour playing. His solos are amazing and could go on forever. He is also a good songwriter.
Pete Townshend - Great songwriter and guitarist. Love the smashing guitar thing. Can't wait till I can do that. Wrote great songs from easy simple ones like I Can't Explain to Quadrophenia, the greatest Rock Opera ever.

gitaarsjaak
06-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow, John Mayer's more popular than I thought.
Mine are at the moment
Jimi Hendrix
Duane Allman
Keith Richards
Grant Green

Dpullam
06-22-2011, 02:42 PM
John Mayer
Chris Walla
Jack Johnson
Jason Mraz

NickZimmer
06-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Jack White and Kurt Cobain.

Though I do love blues-rock guitarists like Clapton and Page, I can't say that I play much like them.

JonnyH
06-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Tom Morello,
Stephen Carpenter,
Jim Root (Stone Sour),

Mostly anyways. Alot of people are putting the more cliche ones.

nunozach
07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Nuno Bettencourt- Extremely underrated guitarist. Hes a very percussive guitar player.Has that funky rhythm and soul in his playing. He also does alot of string skipping and tapping at lightning speed.
Joe Satriani- Can play everythng.
Paul Gilbert- FAST!!
Tom Morello- Thinks outside of the box when it comes to guitar playing. Unique sounds.
Brad Paisley- He is an awesome country guitar player.
Jacob Bunton- Not popular, but blows my mind every time I see his band Lynam play live.
Mark Tremonti- With Alter Bridge his tone and playing is amazing.

Many more but enough for now.

LucasGtrGod
07-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Wes Borland - Limp Bizkit
Mikael Akerfeldt - Opeth
John Petrucci - Dream Theater
Steve Vai - Steve Vai
James Hetfield - Metallica
Paul Waggoner - BTBAM

tortilla
07-01-2011, 11:12 PM
in order:
hendrix
page
John lee hooker
santana
robbie krieger
albert king
John Lennon
all flamenco

PiscesJesusMan
07-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, James Hetfield, Nick Valensi,Josh Homme,Prince

danny_unleashed
07-05-2011, 02:59 AM
In order:
Eric Clapton - inspired me to play and his tone and dynamics is amazing
James Hetfield - awesome at cool sounding riffs
Joe Satriani - creative with how he makes the guitar sounds
Rhandy Rhodes - Love his classical influence
Derek Trucks - his slide playing is just beautiful
Joe Bonamassa - he's pushing and keeping the blues alive
Foo Fighters - i just love the energy they put in their songs

wh0aitzjames
07-13-2011, 10:31 PM
John Frusciante
SRV
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
J Mascis
Kurt Cobain
Eddie Hazel
Eddie Van Halen

Petey D
07-14-2011, 11:32 PM
And now for something completely different......

Eddie Cochran - One of the original rock & roll guitar heros. How many covers of Summertime blues are there anyway??

Brian Setzer - Eddie Cochran on steroids.

Jim Heath (The Reverend Horton Heat) - Speed freak

Chuck Berry - see Eddie Cochran, but substitute Johnny B. Good for Summertime Blues. Did he invent the double stop?

Clapton, but only his Blues Breakers stuff. The rest although his skill is unquestionable I feel is a little too watery.

I also love Slash's guitar playing, but I can't really call him an influence 'cause I don't play like him at all.

SmartWentCody
07-15-2011, 02:06 AM
For me:

#1. Mike McCready and Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam.

The following are in no particular order, just as they come to mind:

- Dimebag Darrell of Pantera
- Paul Gilbert
- Pat O'Brien of Cannibal Corpse
- Andy Timmons
- Roy Rodgers
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
- Alex Lifeson of Rush
- Jack White of The White Stripes
- Chuck Schuldiner of Death
- Marty Friedman of Megadeth
- Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse
- Orianthi Panagaris
- David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
- Adam Jones of Tool

Bassists who inspire me (even though I don't have a bass guitar lol):

#1. Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse
#2. Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam
#3. Cliff Burton of Metallica
#4. Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne
#5. Geddy Lee of Rush

nosaint26
08-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I think an INCREDIBLY UNDERRATED guitarist is Pepper Keenan from COC and Down. No, I'm not a total metalhead. I've always loved metal but as I've grown older I've learned to appreciate many other genres; namely blues, classical, classic rock and jazz. Anyway, that said... here are my biggest influences in no particular order. Some will surely be obvious but I can't leave them off if we're discussing influences.

SRV
JOE BONAMASSA
PEPPER KEENAN
DIMEBAG DARRELL
JIMMY PAGE
JIMI HENDRIX
BB KING
ALEX SKOLNICK
TONY IOMMI
ZOLTAN BATHORY
KIRK\JAMES

Brainpolice2
08-16-2011, 02:44 AM
I'm tempted to make some degree of a distinction between "who are your favorite players?" and "who has influenced you the most?", because while it's true that my style has developed partly from at least implicitly trying to mimick things I hear from other players that I like, some of the players I like do things that are completely alien to what comes naturally to me (for example, I love Allan Holdsworth but don't remotely play lines like his) and I think that really developing one's own voice on an instrument can't be reduced to the result of attempting to copy one's favorite players.

With that in mind, I'd list the following:

Shawn Lane (some of his phrasing and use of chromaticism rubbed off as some idiosyncracies in my playing; ill never actually play it like he does though)
Eric Johnson (his airy chords and the string skipping has influenced me)
Steve Vai (i've been inspired by various eccentric manuevers he does and his use of lydian and mixolydian)
Frank Zappa (i was obcessed with his music for years)

fishmike
08-16-2011, 09:55 AM
here's a new guy's take.

Im 38 and have barely been playing for 2 years, but Im a total junkie. Im a weekend sports guy. Im a pitcher on a baseball team but my body is breaking down and before I quit playing ball I needed something to ease the transition so I started playing guitar. Ive wanted to play for many many years since my late teens when I started really being moved by music.

These were the guys who when I listened to them the little hairs on my neck would raise and I would literally get goosebumps. If there was an early inspiration it was this group:
Hendrix
Page
John Frusciante
Tony Iommi
Buddy Guy
Muddy Waters
Chuck Berry

Those were the guys who influenced me to play guitar over some other instrument or activity. For me the thing with that group was the raw emotion they channelled into their music, especially Page, Hendrix and Frusciante (my three all time favorites).

The next group I learned to love who really moved me were (in no order)
Kim Thayil
Jerry Cantrell
Warren Haynes

billy_666
08-16-2011, 11:52 AM
My Loneliness And ..........!

burghUK
08-16-2011, 04:50 PM
in order of importance.

got to laugh at the pretentious hipsters listing people that nobody has heard of to appear cool and unique.

Gary moore (he makes me want to get better so i can play with so much emotion)
Slash (the reason i took up guitar)
Matt Bellamy (New generation of good musicians)
Ian D'Sa(i like how he blends rhythm with lead)

As you can see ive no time for shredders or metal players , i just don't get the emotion from them. Ive also not put hendrix on the list as he doesn't influence me although he may have influenced those people as i see him as just another blues guitarist and blues is quite samey.

GaryBillington
08-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Slash & Billy Duffy were the main reasons I started playing guitar over 20 years ago and are still my main influences today (although Slash is probably more of a 'favourite' than an 'influence', Billy Duffy probably comes out more in the stuff I'm writing at the moment).

My other big influence in more recent years is The Edge from U2. He doesn't get mentioned nearly often enough in these type of threads (then again, neither does Billy Duffy...)

s31770
08-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Josh Middleton, doubt many know of him on here. ****ing godly anyway

fishmike
08-17-2011, 11:24 AM
in order of importance.

got to laugh at the pretentious hipsters listing people that nobody has heard of to appear cool and unique.

Gary moore (he makes me want to get better so i can play with so much emotion)
Slash (the reason i took up guitar)
Matt Bellamy (New generation of good musicians)
Ian D'Sa(i like how he blends rhythm with lead)

As you can see ive no time for shredders or metal players , i just don't get the emotion from them. Ive also not put hendrix on the list as he doesn't influence me although he may have influenced those people as i see him as just another blues guitarist and blues is quite samey.
If you think Hendrix is just another blues guitarist you havent listened to Hendrix. Jimi was heavily influenced by blues players but was anything but a blues man. His later stuff became more bluesy w/ Band of Gypsies etc but the Experience was Noel Redding, who was a pure Brittish rock guy and Mitch Mitchells on drums who was a jazz guy. Forget about the flash and playing solos with his teeth... give it another listen. Unless you cant stand his singing which is fair

BK202
08-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Threads like this always contain the same lists of clichéd classic rock or shred guitarists, and then people that list some obscure blues-rock guitarist and say "but they don't get mentioned ever"or "I doubt anyone knows him".

Neidnarb's list is the only one that really attempts for some experimentation and artistic influence.

Petey D
08-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Threads like this always contain the same lists of clichéd classic rock or shred guitarists, and then people that list some obscure blues-rock guitarist and say "but they don't get mentioned ever"or "I doubt anyone knows him".

Neidnarb's list is the only one that really attempts for some experimentation and artistic influence.

So what? Many guitar players have similar influences. What's wrong with that? Niednard might be a little more diverse than most, but that dosen't make any of us wrong for liking what we do or playing like we do.

BK202
08-18-2011, 01:57 PM
It's not wrong, it's just so clichéd at this point that I wonder why people make threads dedicated to what guitar players influence them.

Sleaze Disease
08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
It's not wrong, it's just so clichéd at this point that I wonder why people make threads dedicated to what guitar players influence them.
And yet, you still clicked on it, knowing full well that it would be full of "clichéd classic rock or shred guitarists, and then people that list some obscure blues-rock guitarist and say "but they don't get mentioned ever"or "I doubt anyone knows him".

BK202
08-18-2011, 02:21 PM
It was a theory, and a theory needs evidence to back it up.

TheMetalhead541
08-18-2011, 02:31 PM
No particular order

Shawn Lane
Jason Becker
Pat Martino
George Benson
Grant Green
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Tal Farlow
Lenny Breau
Jimmy Bruno
Jim Hall
Guthrie Govan
Chris Poland
Joe Pass
Wes Montgomery
Allan Holdsworth
John McLaughlin
Al Di Meola
Tosin Abasi
John Petrucci
Paul Gilbert
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Fredrik Thordendal

chargerbandit
08-18-2011, 03:56 PM
The best ones:

Dave Casillas- NOFX (1986-1989)
Tom DeLonge - Blink182 (style from 1992-1998)

Sleaze Disease
08-18-2011, 04:11 PM
It was a theory, and a theory needs evidence to back it up.
Right... :rolleyes:

BK202
08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Right... :rolleyes:
Don't you know science? It's a theory until someone disproves it, or enough evidence to make it a law.

Briyan_15
08-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Claudio sanchez, Oli herbert, David Gilmore, and Tom morello.

Petey D
08-24-2011, 03:13 PM
And yet, you still clicked on it, knowing full well that it would be full of "clichéd classic rock or shred guitarists, and then people that list some obscure blues-rock guitarist and say "but they don't get mentioned ever"or "I doubt anyone knows him".

True, he did didn't he? But I think he fails to realize that by saying this thread is a cliché, he's become one.

ogregun
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Brent Hinds
Jeff Loomis
Thomas Erak

Kaozz
08-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Jonny Greenwood, Allen Collins, Bernard Butler, Buckethead,Those badass math rock tapping guys,Kotaro Oshio, Omar Rodriguez, Jack White,Stanley Jordan.

SFosterS
11-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Jack White
Isaac Brock
SRV
Dan Auerbach

gArre7X
11-09-2011, 02:14 PM
No matter what I try to create, James Hetfield always plays an influence on my music writing.

wafflesyrup
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Robert fripp is pretty much the reason I started playing guitar.

TV-Casualty
11-13-2011, 07:32 PM
-Adrian Smith and Dave Murray of Iron Maiden no doubt had and continue to have a huge impact on my lead playing and phrasing
-Joe Strummer from The Clash piqued my interest in guitar and got me interested in learning
-John Frusciante's funk-rock rhythms have started to rub off a lot me lately
-Paul Masvidal from Cynic has been a huge influence for me, kind of sparked an interest in jazz and fusion, as well as some non guitar related things like eastern philosophy and meditation
-Pat Metheny.. I just really like his overall sound.

IommiPage
11-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Kevin Shields
Bob Mould
J Mascis
Greg Ginn
D. Boon
Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo
Carrie Brownstein
Ron Asheton
Pete Townshend
John Frusciante
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Jonny Greenwood
Tony Iommi
Frank Zappa
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Neil Young
Mike Kinsella
Ian MacKaye/Guy Picciotto
Dan Auerbach
Jack White

JohnnyGenzale
11-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Nowadays?

Neil Young
Mick Jones
Tom Verlaine
Björn Olsson
Pete Doherty

Jack_White455
11-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Andy Gill
Stuart Adamson
Sune Rose Wagner
Black Francis
Jack White
Billy Corgan
Buzz Osborne
William Reid

evhbrianmay
11-16-2011, 01:17 AM
SRV
Joe Satriani
My old teacher, this crazy shred/blues guy, and his biggie was SRV
Danny Weinkauf, and he's a bassist, yeaaaahh....
Jimi Hendrix, or at least when his stuff makes sense
Brian May.

wyattlogan
11-21-2011, 12:26 AM
My top5 :
1Jimi Hendrix
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3 B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson

http://marktwain-quotes.blogspot.com/

Mainer
11-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan - This guy really got me into the Blues

Mark Tremonti - I take a lot of my inspiration from Tremonti. His riffs are fantastic, just wish I could solo like him haha

Jack Johnson - When I just feel like chillin' with my acoustic

WetWetWet4Life
04-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Stuart Adamson is my main musical inspiration.
I try to take after him in my guitar playing.

TheLastRaven
05-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Jack White would be the main one. Derek Miller from Sleigh Bells, maybe Brian May. Both Frank Iero and Ray Toro from My Chemical Romance.