I don't know if i should quit my band

PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if i should quit my band

ghghal1324
06-22-2011, 09:03 PM
First things first. If this thread is in the wrong place please move it. Thanks
I have been playing in my punk band formed by me and the drummer for three years now. We recently just got a bassist like two weeks ago, I play guitar and sing. We do all originals. We recorded and released our debut EP beginning of this year all by ourselves. We are starting to work on a new EP for the winter. So far we have one song done (recorded and mixed) and I haven't shown the other two because I have been thinking..

I do so much for the band I am in. I write all of the songs and lyrics (which I chose to and don't mind), I run all of our social media sites online every single day to make sure we are getting exposure, I mix all of our songs, and I run the rehearsals. The other two just don't seem to contribute much besides playing the songs. I send the emails for gigs and send demos to companies. I never said I would run everything myself, I guess they just expect me to. While I was mixing, they just both left rehearsal and went on a walk, or as they say "a break". We practice nearly everyday for about 3-4 hours.

We gig about once a month, freshman in highschool. We play all around our city and downtown and get paid and shit like that. We have a battle of the bands next month and I am hoping the new bassist learns it all, if not, i do not know what we will do.

I kind of just want to find a new band where we do all originals, have dedicated members, and contribute a little more. I just dunno...

Is this how a bandleader usually feels?

CobenBlack
06-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Call a meeting. Tell them your issues. Explain to them what you said here and then explain to them what you expect from them. If the songs are yours and they don't improve, fire them and get new members.

thesexiestofall
06-22-2011, 09:26 PM
FIRE THE MOTHER****ERS Get some new people, its fresh and more exiting.

vjferrara
06-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Someone has to do it. No one really wants to do it. If you feel like you'd be putting out the same music without them then you should try writing a few things without them and see how it goes

ghghal1324
06-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Call a meeting. Tell them your issues. Explain to them what you said here and then explain to them what you expect from them. If the songs are yours and they don't improve, fire them and get new members.

I may try that. It seems to me I just do so much for the band that without me they won't get anywhere. I may wanna try finding a new group with a different style and see how it goes. My drummer just doesn't seem to like the rehearsals and cant even play the drums as fast as i initially wanted the song to be so he goes half time. I may just have to think this over a bit

IommiPage
06-22-2011, 09:51 PM
In my band, I'm just like you :p:

This is partly due to the fact that I've been playing music for about 5 more years than any of guys, I'm the only one who has any understanding of theory whatsoever, and I like it the most. If you want to get serious about your music and band now, ditch the deadweights. Talk to them about your dilemna, and see how they respond. If they're willing to contribute more and put in some effort, then carry on with them. If not, and you want to get serious now, ditch them.

Here's what I'm doing in my band: I'm a year older than you. Right now I'm with my current band to gain experience working within a group. I know I won't be playing with these guys forever, and it's all just fun now. Then maybe when I'm a bit older and can really start getting into the music scene a bit more I'll already have this previous experience doing occassional gigs, recording, rehearsing, writing, dealing with bandmates, whatever. Also, I currently don't really know anyone else who might be interesting in starting a band. My suggestion is stay with these guys, mess around, learn a thing or two, or start looking for a band now before you quit. I'm assuming you want to continue playing music regardless, so continue with your band until you find some other people to play with. You have a lot of time ahead of you to be involved in music, this won't be the most important part of it.

ghghal1324
06-22-2011, 10:24 PM
In my band, I'm just like you :p:

This is partly due to the fact that I've been playing music for about 5 more years than any of guys, I'm the only one who has any understanding of theory whatsoever, and I like it the most. If you want to get serious about your music and band now, ditch the deadweights. Talk to them about your dilemna, and see how they respond. If they're willing to contribute more and put in some effort, then carry on with them. If not, and you want to get serious now, ditch them.

Here's what I'm doing in my band: I'm a year older than you. Right now I'm with my current band to gain experience working within a group. I know I won't be playing with these guys forever, and it's all just fun now. Then maybe when I'm a bit older and can really start getting into the music scene a bit more I'll already have this previous experience doing occassional gigs, recording, rehearsing, writing, dealing with bandmates, whatever. Also, I currently don't really know anyone else who might be interesting in starting a band. My suggestion is stay with these guys, mess around, learn a thing or two, or start looking for a band now before you quit. I'm assuming you want to continue playing music regardless, so continue with your band until you find some other people to play with. You have a lot of time ahead of you to be involved in music, this won't be the most important part of it.

That is so right man. I am gonna take your advice. I definitely dig songwriting/singing and playing guitar, have been for 8 years. That will help a lot when finding bands cause most people cannot sing good and/or don't know how to write music that makes sense, or a sense of music theory. I will probably stay with them but look for new members. I am really serious about music and wanna make it a career and have a lot fun. I wanna try to get singed and tour and all of that. Im gonna just keep practicing mysef, possibly find a new band, and write new music outside from the band I am in and see if I can touch up on a different style of punk

lookpizza
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Just quit you big quitter. Three years and one recorded song :rolleyes:

BK202
06-23-2011, 01:47 PM
You're not punk, and I'm telling everyone!