Bands with no bass

PDA

View Full Version : Bands with no bass

Guitar0player
06-29-2011, 03:36 PM
What bands have no bass players?

Do the guitar players play the bass parts? Or do they have a keyboardist?

IommiPage
06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Blonde Redhead - They had a bassist when they started, but eventually abandoned it
The Doors - Keyboardist played the bass parts on an organ/keyboard
The White Stripes - Nadda
The Black Keys - They have a bassist live now for their new songs that incorporate bass
The Evens - Baritone guitar
Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Not sure what they do, I just remember seeing them on SNL without a bassist
Beat Happening - No bass
Sleater-Kinney - No bass

mr7string
06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Animals as Leaders consists of two guitars and drums, they just adjust their tones accordingly

abacus!
06-29-2011, 03:56 PM
I remember hearing this band with only drums and one guitar and the guy only used the bottom 3 strings. I can't remember the name of the band though.

smb
06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Winnebago Deal

nashawa
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Local H

theogonia777
06-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Pig Destroyer

ETHANEVIL
06-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Black veil brides.didn't at one point, but they recorded.with bassp

BK202
06-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah Yeah Yeahs just don't have bass. Simple as that. You don't need bass to be awesome.

smb
06-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah Yeah Yeahs just don't have bass. Simple as that. You don't need bass to be awesome.
:haha:

Jazz Funeral
06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Treat Her Right and Morphine were two different bands that featured a now deceased Mark Sandman on baritone guitar. He fronted both bands, and his baritone was the closest thing to a bass in both bands.

smb
06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Post-Cliff Metallica

Love_Buzz
06-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Japandroids
No Age
Hella
PS I Love You
The Kills

guoting
06-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Japandroids
That's i know

BK202
06-29-2011, 11:40 PM
:haha:
You don't.

nashawa
06-29-2011, 11:45 PM
You don't.
Pig Destroyer proves it.

Warrior47
06-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Middle Class Rut- Their guitarist makes use of a POG/HOG and a digitech whammy to round out the sound.

ChemicalFire
06-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Treat Her Right and Morphine were two different bands that featured a now deceased Mark Sandman on baritone guitar. He fronted both bands, and his baritone was the closest thing to a bass in both bands.

Saw a video of him playing a 2 string bass in morphine, or at least I think I did.

neidnarb11890
06-30-2011, 12:50 AM
You don't.
Word. You just need an awesome drummer!

Guitar0player
06-30-2011, 01:14 AM
The point of this thread is to get by without a bassist and to learn techniques to utilize the guitar as a bass as well.

So I am asking for help by learning what other bands do.

neidnarb11890
06-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Drop tuning/use yr neck pickup. I read that Sleater-Kinney played in C#, so Corin pretty much covered the low end.

nashawa
06-30-2011, 01:42 AM
Or you could install a bass pickup.

Guitar0player
06-30-2011, 02:28 AM
Or you could install a bass pickup.

Actually I thought of getting an 8 stringer, install a bass pickup under the two low strings, tune the lowest to E and maybe the 7th to A so that I'll be able to play the root notes of chords on the bass strings and just use them for non chord riffs.

At the same time, run the bass pickup into a bass amp, while the guitar pickups do the rest of the work.

So it'll be kinda like Local H meets Animals as Leaders....or simply Charlie Hunter.

ChemicalFire
06-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Or just... find a guitarist and get him to play bass.

Guitar0player
06-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Or just... find a guitarist and get him to play bass.

I enjoy playing the bass parts with my guitar too much :D

we_built_a_tree
06-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Om
Death from Above 1979

Behold my feats as a satirist and be struck with awe.

smb
06-30-2011, 06:05 PM
:eek: <- that's my awestruck face

Guitar0player
06-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Om
Death from Above 1979

Behold my feats as a satirist and be struck with awe.

:rolleyes:

ethan_hanus
06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Any band that wants to sound good will have a bassist, having no bassist is like, a band without a drummer. Though, can't say I know any that don't have a bassist and are popular.

due 07
06-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Any band that wants to sound good will have a bassist, having no bassist is like, a band without a drummer. Though, can't say I know any that don't have a bassist and are popular.DERP

turncoat60%
06-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Any band that wants to sound good will have a bassist, having no bassist is like, a band without a drummer.
i am really thinking about sigging this

ethan_hanus
06-30-2011, 11:04 PM
DERP

What does that even mean?

It's true, if anyone of you did any recording, you'd know that it's the bass guitar that glues the entire mix together.

Obviously some bands wont have a bass guitar if they are solely acoustic based or something like that, where a bass guitar isn't really needed.

turncoat60%
06-30-2011, 11:10 PM

HERP DERP

im pretty sure that was a direct quote from your last post. at least that's how i read it.

Warrior47
06-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Though, can't say I know any that don't have a bassist and are popular.

ಠ_ಠ

You realize that there are like twenty bands listed on the first page of this thread that don't have bass players, several of which are very popular, don't you?

Also, lulz to the dude above me.

ethan_hanus
06-30-2011, 11:46 PM
ಠ_ಠ

You realize that there are like twenty bands listed on the first page of this thread that don't have bass players, several of which are very popular, don't you?

Also, lulz to the dude above me.

Can't say I've every heard of any of them.

Warrior47
06-30-2011, 11:50 PM
White Stripes? Black Keys? Both of those have been pretty large bands for a while now and have had some fairly big records. The Doors are one of the most popular classic rock bands and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs have had several hit singles and are a big indie band.

Guitar0player
07-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Any band that wants to sound good will have a bassist, having no bassist is like, a band without a drummer. Though, can't say I know any that don't have a bassist and are popular.

The Doors, White Stripes, Black Keys, Animals As Leaders, Black Cobra, Darediablo and so on.

roast
07-01-2011, 05:21 AM

Totally nonsensical. Opinion is subjective, some might not even like the sound of bass. Whatever suits the band/music is what counts.

due 07
07-01-2011, 07:41 AM

It's true, if anyone of you did any derping, you'd know that it's the bass guitar that glues the lololololololol

trollolollooolololollolololololoolololollol.:daisy:

smb
07-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Funny how so many of these bassless bands have some keyboard, detuned or pitch shifted guitar, or indeed actual bass turn up on their albums or live.

Any that don't do that?

Guitar0player
07-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Besides, around here bassists are one in a million.

Guitar0player
07-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Funny how so many of these bassless bands have some keyboard, detuned or pitch shifted guitar, or indeed actual bass turn up on their albums or live.

Any that don't do that?

I believe the Black Keys actually dont do it to some extent...so are the White Stripes(Fell in love With a Girl) and an Israeli band called Monotonix.

smb
07-01-2011, 08:16 AM
^ never listened to Black Keys really but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2PcVNqVIJ8 <- definitely bass in that

White Stripes have used pitch shifted guitar

Never heard of Monotonix, they could be an exception

Guitar0player
07-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I know Your Touch doesnt have bass.

Warrior47
07-01-2011, 04:02 PM
^ never listened to Black Keys really but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2PcVNqVIJ8 <- definitely bass in that

White Stripes have used pitch shifted guitar

Never heard of Monotonix, they could be an exception

White Stripes however don't use bass as a full time instrument. Yes, Jack White uses a whammy pedal/POG on like 7 songs total to do bass or add bass frequencies to the guitar, but most of the time, there is no 'bass.' There is just a guitar being shifted down in order to bet the effect. (7 nation army, hardest button to button, blue orchid, I'm slowly turning into you, and a martyr for my love for you covers most of the tracks I think off the top of my head)

Black keys have added bass in later recordings, but if you listen to their first few albums, there isn't bass on most songs.

Middle Class Rut uses a POG/Whammy pedal to fill in frequencies, but they don't have a bass track, just a guitar track that is doubled in a lower octave sometimes.

The Pack A.D. doesn't use any bass and the Kills don't use a bass track most of the time either.

No one is saying that having lower frequencies isn't important, but you don't necessarily need a bass or a 'bass' track in order to make your band sound good. And your argument that they use it on some songs is the same as arguing that some bands throw in a keyboard or a sitar on occasional songs. It doesn't mean they need it all the time. I'm also not saying bass isn't important, just that there are a decent amount of successful bands that don't use one.

nashawa
07-01-2011, 05:01 PM

It's true, if anyone of you did any recording, you'd know that it's the bass guitar that glues the entire mix together.

Obviously some bands wont have a bass guitar if they are solely acoustic based or something like that, where a bass guitar isn't really needed.
I'm a bassist and I take bass very seriously. I'm also an engineer and take mixing and tracking very seriously.

You still sound like a moron.

EDIT: To the above discussion. All of you saying bass is necessary sound like you just started listening to music a few months ago. No single instrument is necessary. A lot of bands don't use full drums, some just use minimal percussion (or nothing at all); although, tambourine is awesome and can and should be added to almost everything it could possibly fit in.

emphaticleech
07-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Robert Johnson.

Warrior47
07-01-2011, 06:24 PM
This one is a little unrelated, but if you're looking for ways to fill in bass frequencies, go look at Genesis when they had a 3 person line up. They had a keyboard player, a bass player and a drummer. The bass player would many times switch to 12 string guitar and they basically did everything they could find to make every player multi-task. Keyboards filled in, the bass player had a double neck bass/12 string guitar made, they used synth pedals and foot midi triggers for bass synths. If you're looking for ways to do it, I think that line up worked with almost every way to fill in for a player.

primusfan
07-09-2011, 04:29 PM

gonna file this under "dumb things white people say."

Themoleismad
07-09-2011, 05:32 PM
The Refused had no bassist for the shape of punk to come, I think they may have overdubbed it or got a studio bassist or something, and I can't be asked to wiki it now.

MustangMan311
07-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Animals as Leaders consists of two guitars and drums, they just adjust their tones accordingly
They have bass on their album and they use backing tracks live.

nashawa
07-09-2011, 08:32 PM
gonna file this under "dumb things white people say."
Gonna file this under "dumb things people who know nothing about music say."

And AAL use backing tracks? Gross.

primusfan
07-11-2011, 05:29 AM
Gonna file this under "dumb things people who know nothing about music say."

http://tomsastroblog.com/images/2010/03/a-yawn.gif

in tonal music, the bass (whether played by piano, organ, double bass, cello, bass guitar or tuba) is integral to music as the foundation of harmonic motion. can tonal music exist without it? sure. does anyone actually want to listen to that? no. if they did it'd be the rule, not the exception.

nashawa
07-11-2011, 04:30 PM

in tonal music, the bass (whether played by piano, organ, double bass, cello, bass guitar or tuba) is integral to music as the foundation of harmonic motion. can tonal music exist without it? sure. does anyone actually want to listen to that? no. if they did it'd be the rule, not the exception.
Gonna file this one under "dumb things people who overthink music say."

You pretty much have your own file at this point.

badpun
07-13-2011, 03:20 AM
These guys don't use a bass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byyMgPFL1po

Zoot Allures
07-14-2011, 09:38 PM

Yes, because some of us aren't ignorant enough to think music has to have a certain set instrumentation in order to be good music. A massive amount of old blues is one man and a guitar for instance without anyone else, or a guitar and a harmonica player for instance, plenty of people want to listen to that even though it has no bass player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlg3m-7N64 The best John Lee Hooker recordings are the ones like this where he was playing his own stuff without some producer forcing him to play with a typical backing band who tried to make everything a 12 bar.

On topic, i'm playing a gig tomorrow without the bassist there because he couldn't make it due to work. Had to rework the songs a bit to make parts where there would otherwise not be, but we picked the ones that worked for it.

edit: also on topic, the guitar should be at least as bassy as the bass, see Kyuss. =]

sully1647
07-21-2011, 12:11 AM
blood red shoes!
guitarist and a drummer no bass needed

itz_neek
07-28-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm starting a band with a Trombone player instead of a bass player, and we're gonna get a keyboard player to fill the sound

lvd1
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
bands without a bass player. check out "middle class rut" they're a drummer and a singer/ guitar player. i saw them open for alice in chains in new york and they were really good.

Don&theBunnymen
08-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I know for a fact Poets of the Fall don't have a bassist. I think their bass sounds are sequenced with like MIDI/VSTs or whatever! But, when they play live they have one.

Guitar0player
09-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Anymore?

And these Clavians guys sound good.

BK202
09-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Not sure if these have been mentioned, as I'm too lazy to recheck the thread.

Hella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA6o4vq2ldU
Giraffes? Giraffes!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZqZCS0rCmE