Good dual guitar songs?

PDA

View Full Version : Good dual guitar songs?

Metalmaker
07-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Trying to help a friend get better at playing as well as teach him some, so I'm looking for songs of just about any genre that are written for 2 guitars having separate parts that sort of play off each other and compliment one another

Preferably easier ones so he is capable of playing them, but also more advanced ones

Thanks for any suggestions!

EDIT: also, try to avoid anything lower than drop c, thanks!

Skullivan
07-03-2011, 05:02 PM
So not like harmonizing guitar parts but like rhythm and lead? I'm sorry I'm confused :haha: .

ALiG-PK47
07-03-2011, 05:02 PM
look at some metallica songs, middle section of master of puppets could be cool. Almost all of them are in standard tuning

fret_shredder_1
07-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Try Bullet for my valentine, alot of their songs have harmonizations, along with rythem and lead.

Vermillionpart2
07-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Could do some Sum 41, or AC/DC, or Three Days Grace.

Metalmaker
07-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Whether it be harmonies, split rhythms (like one guitar stars a line and the other one ends it) things like Rodrigo Y Grabriela, anything the has two guitars closely interacting harmony, rhythm or lead/rhythm wise

elvor0
07-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Err can't think of any specific ones, but almost all Iron Maiden songs have dual/triple guitar playing in there somewhere, good for learning harmony(?) due to their tenancy to have the guitars playing melodic sections at various different octaves and whatnot.

Thin Lizzy are good for that sort of stuff too, the Jailbreak album I'd reccomend checking out.

Judas Priest: Breaking The Law, The opening for Electric eye and the rest of the song work well for dual guitar riffage, Metallica's Ride the Lightning/Justice for all have a lot of guitar harmonizing on them.

I can't really think of much easier stuff, the sections in those songs that have harmonization in them are pretty easy, but they can get a bit of technical if you're not that good.

I dunno how good your friend is though, he might be able to play Metallica and Priest, can't think of much dual stuff that's easier, it's the sort of thing you mostly hear in heavier music.

Zeletros
07-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Try guilty gear soundtrack, "Awe of She" or "Holy Orders", these songs are complete awesome and there is only a small part that will be challenging, but he can skip it

yoyoyoitcool
07-08-2011, 04:05 PM
A lot of The Rolling Stones' songs between 1976-1981 has dual guitar playing.

The album "Some Girls" has a lot of good easier dual guitar playing songs.

The song "Down in the Hole" on the album "Emotional Rescue" is a pretty good example of the dual guitar playing they experimented with during that time period. It is also a little more advanced then the dual guitar playing on "Some Girls".

fenderjackson73
07-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't know if this is what you meant but the song Big Dumb Sex by Soundgarden came to mind instantly

SumFX
07-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Iron Maiden - Twilight Zone

isthisnameused
07-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Try having a look at The Allman Brothers or early Fleetwood Mac when they still had Peter Green. You've got some cool dual guitar things going on with both of those bands there.

Also, if you want to take turns soloing, check out "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by The Beatles.

c.eisen
07-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Sing "Lucky" by Jason Mraz with a girl, bam, you're a father now.

eatfresh1736
07-12-2011, 01:26 AM
You're gonna be safe with alot of Iron Maiden

HelpTravesty
07-12-2011, 12:49 PM
A lot of stuff from Avenged Sevenfolds first two albums contain cool dual guitar leads and harmonization.

lvd1
07-31-2011, 11:05 PM
almost everything from judas priest, megadeth and iron maiden. all 3 bands have a lead and rythm guitar attack where the duties are shared. hell maiden has 3 guitar players, in fact so does skynyrd and they both have seperate parts and duling parts AND solo duties!

ETHANEVIL
08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
for once i agree with helptravesty. avanged has great 2 guitar stuff. lost (my fav by them) is a good example of this. a lot of melodeath has that too. like in flames. the black dahlia murder too

Baphomet92
08-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I may be setting myself up to get a lot of flak for this, but I have to recommend Coffin Fodder by Cradle of Filth.

ETHANEVIL
08-01-2011, 12:22 PM
I may be setting myself up to get a lot of flak for this, but I have to recommend Coffin Fodder by Cradle of Filth.
cradle is awesome. say their name with pride. i second this :)

Baphomet92
08-01-2011, 12:39 PM
cradle is awesome. say their name with pride. i second this :)
Yeah, they don't deserve the hate they get. They're great at what they do.

At the topic again, anything by Kalmah is great. The Groan of Wind comes to mind.

albertcron
08-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Mine are here: 1.Through the Fire and Flames - Dragonforce. 2.Hysteria - Muse. 3.Eruption - Van Halen. 4.The Dance of Eternity - Dream Theater. 5.Master of Puppets - Metallica.

Don&theBunnymen
08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Under Cover of Darkness by The Strokes I find to be pretty decent for two guitars.

IommiPage
08-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Hot Cross for dual guitar work

Guns N Roses for Lead/Rhythm stuff

Polenguinho
08-12-2011, 12:32 AM
I was going to suggest pretty much anything by Cacophony, but then I read that you wanted something easy (I thought you were asking about cool dual guitar songs TO LISTEN.)

Natrtatr
08-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Early Stones had some double guitar in them. Layla has multiple guitar parts in it.