Black Metal Riff (work in progress) Immortal style

PDA

View Full Version : Black Metal Riff (work in progress) Immortal style

Rossielle
08-05-2011, 04:26 PM
well,i wrote some black metal riffsand i wish an advice. please help me with the second guitar. C4C

GU5T4V
08-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Ok, I'll break it down riff by riff:

Riff 1: It's okay, but I wouldn't call it black metal really... not very evil sounding, if you know what I mean. Sounds more like traditional thrash. It suits fine, but it kind of outstays its welcome - remove the repetition.

Riff 2: This is better, but some variety from just power chords would be nice. Try to experiment with other chord shapes. Also, for a second guitar, I wouldn't mind if it was in a higher pitch, to make this part more distinct. The entire song is pretty much all about power chords within the same octave.

Riff 3 (bridge): This definitively needs some lead to go with it. Try to think up some moody melody, or just scrap it all together.

Riff 4: My favorite riff. Quite generic, but it kinda captures the feeling in really old school black metal.

Riff 5: Work a bit more with this one - major key power chord riffs, even if tremolo picked, just sounds weird in black metal, you know. Out of place.

Oh, and I just posted an album I've made. Crit one song, or two, or how many may you please. Cheers :)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467949

corrda00
08-08-2011, 07:40 PM
WARNING:
I am a bassist. I SUCK at writing lead guitar parts.
Also I dont know much about black metal. I threw some ideas that you can fool around with.

It sounds fine to me so far. A keyboard would help. So would a bass.
Refer to guy above. He seems to know black metal pretty well.

c4c?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468761

kcorkcar
08-09-2011, 02:46 AM
My GP is waaaay outdated (Im lazy :p)
Can you upload a Midi file of it, and I'll see what I can come up with

Rossielle
08-14-2011, 07:39 AM
WARNING:
I am a bassist. I SUCK at writing lead guitar parts.
Also I dont know much about black metal. I threw some ideas that you can fool around with.

It sounds fine to me so far. A keyboard would help. So would a bass.
Refer to guy above. He seems to know black metal pretty well.

c4c?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468761

hey,thanx for the help.but if you a bassist,can you help me with the bass part.I wish some dark and deep emotions in the bass-line. anyway,thanx for the help

p.s. tell me if you like this version

Rossielle
08-14-2011, 07:49 AM
My GP is waaaay outdated (Im lazy :p)
Can you upload a Midi file of it, and I'll see what I can come up with

here it is.thanx for your help

gabrielcev
08-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Ok lets start with the intro.
In my opinion the intro was boring and uncreative... not much else to say.

Riff 1: Not a bad riff really... quite good actually. I like really heavy sounding riffs and this riff satisfies my tastes.

Bridge: All I can say is you can do better than that. That riff is just lazy. 0,0,0,0 on E and A string. Doesn't get much more boring or lazy than that dude.

Riff 2: Another nice heavy creepy sounding riff. Very amusing. It doesn't flow very well when you get back into riff 1...

Riff 3: Same old.

Ok as a whole the song is mediocre. It's very repetitive... very boring, the riffs are uncreative, uninspired, and lazy. 5/10 Try to get creative with you riffs... use different chord shapes that generate a more eerie sound. Even make up your own chord shapes as long as it sounds good to you and you can play it. Don't always use constant chords in riffs it sounds like a broken record. Hope you find this helpful and I hope I wasn't too harsh.

kcorkcar
09-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Ok lets start with the intro.
In my opinion the intro was boring and uncreative... not much else to say.

Riff 1: Not a bad riff really... quite good actually. I like really heavy sounding riffs and this riff satisfies my tastes.

Bridge: All I can say is you can do better than that. That riff is just lazy. 0,0,0,0 on E and A string. Doesn't get much more boring or lazy than that dude.

Riff 2: Another nice heavy creepy sounding riff. Very amusing. It doesn't flow very well when you get back into riff 1...

Riff 3: Same old.

Ok as a whole the song is mediocre. It's very repetitive... very boring, the riffs are uncreative, uninspired, and lazy. 5/10 Try to get creative with you riffs... use different chord shapes that generate a more eerie sound. Even make up your own chord shapes as long as it sounds good to you and you can play it. Don't always use constant chords in riffs it sounds like a broken record. Hope you find this helpful and I hope I wasn't too harsh.

This is basically what I thought as well. I know when I first started writing black metal mine sounded rather dull and uninteresting. here is a chord that will liven up some of those riffs for you (Its a barre chord but you can break it down)

e-7
B-8
G-9
D-9
A-7
E-7

put that chord into guitar pro and hear how eerie/ominous that sounds and experiment with different chords like that and also break it down into different parts. Like play the bottom half and while the notes are ringing, pick out the top half.

e-X-7
B-X-8-
G-X- -9
D-9
A-7
E-7

Hope this helps and I am waiting to hear your next black metal piece.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456206
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476775
(This might give you some tips as well) ;)

Rossielle
09-04-2011, 08:15 AM
This is basically what I thought as well. I know when I first started writing black metal mine sounded rather dull and uninteresting. here is a chord that will liven up some of those riffs for you (Its a barre chord but you can break it down)

e-7
B-8
G-9
D-9
A-7
E-7

put that chord into guitar pro and hear how eerie/ominous that sounds and experiment with different chords like that and also break it down into different parts. Like play the bottom half and while the notes are ringing, pick out the top half.

e-X-7
B-X-8-
G-X- -9
D-9
A-7
E-7

Hope this helps and I am waiting to hear your next black metal piece.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456206
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476775
(This might give you some tips as well) ;)

can you show with a practic example?

STONESHAKER
09-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Hey man,

This sounds really thrash to me. I don't really listen to black metal, but I like evil sounds in whatever form. Here are my suggestions.

- The riffs you have written are really driving riffs. One cool technique that you can do is cut the music suddenly, leaving silence or maybe a guitar feedback noise or some dissonant tones. Check out Converge's "Distance and Meaning", the part I'm thinking of is 2:15-2:30 or so. It has a nice cliffhanger effect, and by cliffhanger I mean it sounds like you just drove your car off a cliff. It would work in your song.

- It was mentioned before, but mix up the harmonies. Right now all you're using is power chords. Evil sounding harmonies that work good on a single guitar are flattened fifths and flattened seconds. You can also take that power chord sound and change it by moving the fifth to the bass, which will give the power chord a more muddy sound. Examples of fifth in the bass would be the chorus of "Stellar" by Incubus; not the open chord, which is an Asus2, but the little riff right after that open chord that alters between one or two variations.

- If you're adding a second guitar, harmonizing in octaves and in thirds is a pretty good idea, especially if you harmonize in thirds sparingly. If you go listen to "Floater" by Every Time I Die, they use this idea in the riff occasionally, as well as the flattened second I mentioned above (it's the high pitched stabbing sound that appears periodically)

Okay, here's my song. It's not metal, it's more like post rock/blues.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476999

If you don't like that one, you can float around my bandcamp profile and critique "Maquinahombre" for me, which is kind of metal.

FacetOfChaos
09-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Couple of ideas-

Definitely needs more color tones. Right now it's a lot of empty chords (5 chords, no color tones like thirds, sevenths, etc.) Throwing in tones that add more color will do wonders for establishing tonality and, more importantly, a mood.

I didn't like the drums at all. A lot of bends use drums like that but I've never liked them. More variety in rhythms for all the instruments would be great. Some melodies definitely need to be included as well, especially in the parts that are endless sixteenth note chords etc. Also going back to drums, it's the constant fast paced cymbals and snare that bother me.